Why the Benelli M4? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why the Benelli M4?

TurboGlock
12-14-2010, 06:46
I know that my beloved Marine Corps uses the Benelli M4 for it's tactical shotgun needs, but why would anyone pay $1500 for a shotgun? The tried and true Remington 870 cost a lot less, and works just as well if not better than the Benelli. Besides being cool, the only thing I can think of is that the Benelli must have much less recoil. Can someone please open my eyes, and tell me what I'm missing? I've never shot the Benelli M4, but I have owned a Benelli M90 hunting shotgun. It didn't shoot any better than anything else I've hunted with.

ScrappyDoo
12-14-2010, 11:10
I am not SURE but I heard the ARGO Gas system is amazing, someone was telling me they can put 8 slugs down range, on target, before the first hull hits the ground, and its not hurting from recoil, not failing etc., and very accurate.

I had a Supernova I had to ditch to get my Dad a 60th Bday present, and just from the Supernova you can tell they're a cut above the rest.

I believe this is the difference between the M4 vs. the M2, is the M2 is Recoil operated, therefore it is a little feedback-generating on the shoulder and also requires a little elbow/shoulder effort and decent loads to shoot and be reliable. The M4 uses that ARGO system (same that the Benelli AR rifle uses) and it's super reliable.

A6Gator
12-14-2010, 11:27
but why would anyone pay $1500 for a shotgun?

I guess you've never been a trap/skeet or sporting clays shooter...

http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/image_gallery.htm?skuid=3043

Found this one for 31.4 large.

TurboGlock
12-14-2010, 12:24
I guess you've never been a trap/skeet or sporting clays shooter...

http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/image_gallery.htm?skuid=3043

Found this one for 31.4 large.

$1500 for a tactical shotgun.:cool:

TurboGlock
12-14-2010, 12:31
I am not SURE but I heard the ARGO Gas system is amazing, someone was telling me they can put 8 slugs down range, on target, before the first hull hits the ground, and its not hurting from recoil, not failing etc., and very accurate.

I had a Supernova I had to ditch to get my Dad a 60th Bday present, and just from the Supernova you can tell they're a cut above the rest.

I believe this is the difference between the M4 vs. the M2, is the M2 is Recoil operated, therefore it is a little feedback-generating on the shoulder and also requires a little elbow/shoulder effort and decent loads to shoot and be reliable. The M4 uses that ARGO system (same that the Benelli AR rifle uses) and it's super reliable.

Thanks ScrappyDoo! I'll read up on the ARGO system. I guess I'm going to have to buy one, and see for myself. I'll just tell my wife it's all in the name of research, after I get it of course.

ScrappyDoo
12-14-2010, 13:15
Thanks ScrappyDoo! I'll read up on the ARGO system. I guess I'm going to have to buy one, and see for myself. I'll just tell my wife it's all in the name of research, after I get it of course.

Not a problem brother thank you for your service Sir. I actually would probably have bought one already but the M4 is not NJ legal because it doesn't even have a non-pistol-grip-stock option. I came CLOSE to buying the M2 Tactical ( i REALLY fell in love with it ) but it was $1,250 and again, recoil operated, doesn't like lower powered loads, and you're not changing barrels etc. on it. It's $1,250 for a pure combat shotgun: it's designed to shoot buckshot at bad guys. And as sexay as it is, my Mossberg 930 SPX is pretty ninja too. But the M4 is one of THE if not THE baddest ass combat shotguns on the planet, a whole new ballgame. ESPECIALLY with that nice adjustable stock they sell to LEO/Military.. now THAT looks ninja.

granitemonkey
12-14-2010, 14:56
The M4 is really badass, and Id love to own one. But what about mag extensions and the 922r import law? I dont want the baddest ass shotgun to only hold 4 shots.

WoodenPlank
12-14-2010, 15:43
Every Benelli I have shot (all two of them) has had feeding problems, even in multiple sets of hands. Could have been a bad batch of nuts behind the trigger, but I doubt it. Either way, I will stick to my 590. I still run my pump gun faster than a lot of people run a semi-auto. An experienced shooter will run a semi a lot faster than I run the Mossy, of course, but that isnt "a lot of people".

Glolt20-91
12-15-2010, 23:06
I've shot the M4, it's a real nice shooter.

I have an FNH SLP Mk1 (8+1) and like it a lot. Change out the gas piston and it'll run high velocity OO very fast and it will still have a soft recoil.

The fastest pump I've ever fired is probably the old style Ithaca M37, which had an extremely smooth action by the way. The SLP is a lot faster with follow-up shots, even with hard recoiling OO loads.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/At%20the%20range/12guagereclinerFederalOOBuck1325fps018.jpg

http://www.gunblast.com/FN-SLP.htm

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/guns-and-weapons/fnh-usa-slp-mark-i-12ga/

Just a thought. :supergrin:

Bob :cowboy:

Aceman
12-16-2010, 07:45
The same reason you buy an HK when there are Glocks and Xd's out there. Because amongst a world of Mossberg and Remington's, it's the HK of Shotguns. It is simply the the best.

Mofeen
12-16-2010, 16:52
The M4 is really badass, and Id love to own one. But what about mag extensions and the 922r import law? I dont want the baddest ass shotgun to only hold 4 shots.

Seconded?

Agent6-3/8
12-17-2010, 22:48
My ex's dad has an M4 that I've shot. Its a really dang nice shotgun and definitely a step ahead of the tired old 870 that rode in my patrol car. Very fast shooting and easy recoiling weapon.

williamN
12-19-2010, 08:37

This is the only thing that has kept me from buying the M4.

ScrappyDoo
12-19-2010, 10:05
You can get Nordic Components extensions for Benelli blacktical tactical boomsticks.

I am quite certain but not 100% certain there is at least a +2 for the M4. I know I had a +3? maybe ? on my Supernova , which had a 24" barrel. I just didn't want TOOOO much extension on that long ass shotgun making it too heavy and too unwieldy-

Nordic makes real real sexay-smoove blacktical tactical extensions , as opposed to Choate Machine & Tool which is all hard oiled metal for form and function ... I love the Choate on my Mossberg 930SPX because it's more like the Hummer H1-A of blacktical shotguns, whereas IMHO Benelli is a Lamborghini/Ferrari supercrossed sexay blacktical animal.

Nordic is quite , $$$ tho.