Grips & Initial cleaning. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Grips & Initial cleaning.

Big_Grumpy
12-14-2010, 10:20
My first 1911 (Springfield Range Officer) is on the way and I have a couple of questions if I may.

GRIPS:
I'm likely going to want some softer, tackier, wrap around grips for it. (No front checkering).

I'm more into function over form, and I think I'd like the good ol' Pachmayr 02921's:

http://www.kieslersonline.com/product/images/GRIPFSIGNOBS.jpg

But unfortunately, they WILL look pretty darn ugly compared the Springer crossed cannon cocoa beans (:supergrin:) that will come from the factory. Is there a compromise somewhere of form and function?

I've been poking around the net looking for an alternative. I'd prefer no finger grooves. Any suggestions?

Oh... and the idea of grip tape kind of bugs me. I'd be worried about it turning the gun to a complete mess.

INITIAL CLEANING:

Is it a good idea to detail strip the gun and clean it out before use or should it be good to go right out of the box? I know it's not exactly a high end 1911, and I was wondering if there might be some metal shavings or the like floating around in the internals, or if it's indeed properly lubed.

Thanks guys!

knedrgr
12-14-2010, 11:07
SA makes a Loaded Target model that came with soft, black, checked grips. See if they can send you some. If not, look for them in the For Sale section.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-14-2010, 11:11
I personally LOVE the pachmeyer grips. The MC Operator comes with them - so, a factory Springfield does come with them already installed.

I prev owned an MC Operator. I loved the grips so much that even after I sold the gun to help pay for my Ed Brown, I missed the grips. I tried several grip options, including Hogue rubber grip panels. Nothing felt as good as the pachmeyers...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/1911-group98.jpg

Hokie1911
12-14-2010, 11:14
Was waiting for Shipwreck to chime in. :rofl:

IDPA_Shooter
12-14-2010, 11:19
Wilson Combat has a checkered front strap add-on that slips under the grip panels and provides a checkered surface. Found it at Wilson Combat (Under Misc. Frame Parts) and Brownells.

Hokie1911
12-14-2010, 11:21
Wilson Combat has a checkered front strap add-on that slips under the grip panels and provides a checkered surface. Found it at Wilson Combat (Under Misc. Frame Parts) and Brownells.

Have read a BUNCH of reviews on that. Folks either seem to love them or hate them. Really no middle ground on it.

Quack
12-14-2010, 11:30
Have read a BUNCH of reviews on that. Folks either seem to love them or hate them. Really no middle ground on it.

a friend tried one out, but it didn't follow the front strap contour correctly on his Springfield, so he took it off.

silversport
12-14-2010, 12:50
the MEU-SOC had those Pachmayr Signature grips (before they put their medallions on them) so you're in good company with the Marines and Shipwreck...
Bill

awpk03s
12-14-2010, 13:08

I tried one of these on a Springfield I used to have, and it sucked.

Jim S.
12-14-2010, 13:33
I always liked the Pachmayr grips. Check out the Combat version without the thumbswells.
I like those the best.
They look good on a stainless gun and certainly do not detract from a parkerized gun.
I am in the habit of detail stripping a new 1911 because I want it to start out in my possesion perfectly clean and lubed properly.
They can come from the factory rather dry and sometimes dirty not only from test firing but from sitting in a gun shop for who knows how long.
As long as you are familiar with detail stripping a 1911 it is no big deal and can be done in very little time.
Let us know how your new Springer is when you get it.

Big_Grumpy
12-14-2010, 14:29
Thanks again! I found a decent price on the Pachmayr's and have them ordered. At least if I end up not liking them it's an easy swap and not much money lost.

I've never detail stripped any of my guns let alone a 1911, but I ain't scared. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and there's a lot of references out there. My biggest concern is the dreaded "idiot mark", but if you're careful and get the plunger pushed in and out of the way it should be ok.

Jim S. - you're avatar and signature are great! :rofl:

I'll post some carpet pics when I get it in. :supergrin:

samuse
12-14-2010, 17:08
After you use the Pachmayrs, you'll never be able to call 'em ugly.

I like 'em better than frontstrap checkering.

Here's how they look on my parkerized G.I.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/Springer/006.jpg?t=1292371633

kkramer673
12-15-2010, 11:35
To answer your question, you will definitely want to field-strip, clean and then liberally lubricate your new pistol before shooting it for the first time.
Enjoy.