Bull barrel vs Bushing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bull barrel vs Bushing?

rcamp
12-14-2010, 18:58
as in pros an cons... reliability , accuracy, etc in a bull vs bushing
STI Ranger II, S&WPD, Champion,or XSE
Thanks to all replies

rsxr22
12-14-2010, 19:00
Equally reliable in my experience, supposedly bull barrels are supposed to be more accurate, but both platforms are extremely accurate

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-14-2010, 19:15
This topic comes up with regularity. Some will argue that it's easier to replace a bushing if it becomes loose compared to a bull barrel. I personally prefer a bull barrel. And, I would venture to say that it is very unlikely you'll be pumping enough rounds thru the gun to matter either way.

Bull barrels are my preference. I like the take down procedure of the guns with them over ones with bushings, personally.

HAIL CAESAR
12-14-2010, 19:38
This topic comes up with regularity. Some will argue that it's easier to replace a bushing if it becomes loose compared to a bull barrel. I personally prefer a bull barrel. And, I would venture to say that it is very unlikely you'll be pumping enough rounds thru the gun to matter either way.

Bull barrels are my preference. I like the take down procedure of the guns with them over ones with bushings, personally.

Good post, except I prefer bushings and find bushings easier.

bac1023
12-14-2010, 20:11
Bull barrels are supposed to be more accurate, all else being equal. The tighter lockup is due to there being only one tolerence point, instead of two with a bushing.

I know my Infinity may be the best shooting 1911 I own and its got a bull. :cool:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_2426.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_2456.jpg

ProCarryNAustin
12-14-2010, 20:15
For me, the weight of the bull barrel puts weight up front and limits muzzle rise. I love the one in my Ranger II.

bac1023
12-14-2010, 20:17
For me, the weight of the bull barrel puts weight up front and limits muzzle rise. I love the one in my Ranger II.

They generally do add a little weight up front.

polizei1
12-15-2010, 07:23
I like the bull's take-down. Extremely fast and easy. And it doesn't require tools!

BuckyP
12-15-2010, 08:40
I prefer bushings because of weight, less weight. As for accuracy, either is capable of extreme accuracy if done right.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-15-2010, 09:03
Bull barrel FTW:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/gun7.jpg

Quack
12-15-2010, 09:24
I like the bull's take-down. Extremely fast and easy. And it doesn't require tools!

bushing barrels don't need tools either

Hokie1911
12-15-2010, 10:47
Bull barrel FTW:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/gun7.jpg

I just got a chubby. :whistling:

polizei1
12-15-2010, 12:10

I thought I read somewhere that you can't take the bushing off your TGO-1 without a tool? It was too tight?

nolt
12-15-2010, 12:13

most baers do :whistling:

Quack
12-15-2010, 12:15
I thought I read somewhere that you can't take the bushing off your TGO-1 without a tool? It was too tight?

how many people have TGO-1's? :rofl:

Quack
12-15-2010, 12:18
and i need a tool to take my STI Edge down and it has a bull barrel.

polizei1
12-15-2010, 12:33
Hey, I'm just throwing it out there. Don't shoot the messenger! :laughing:

AC45ACP
12-15-2010, 13:14
I need a tool also for the STI Duty One

MD357
12-15-2010, 14:46
Up next.....

GI plug vs FLGR........

Nickpisp
12-15-2010, 14:48

All my Kimber's and Springers do.

HAIL CAESAR
12-15-2010, 15:34
most baers do :whistling:

The better the reason to fix them. Bushing barrels should not need a bushing wrench to take off the barrel.
That is unless you have an extreme need for every .10 of an inch accuracy gain. (Think Olympic lever shooters...not gun shop/internet bragging rights).

Gregg702
12-15-2010, 15:54
All my Kimber's and Springers do.

I use a mag to take down my Custom Crimson Carry II, rather than the bushing wrench. Just as easy to use, and I always have a mag on me, verses having to find my bushing wrench.

Quack
12-15-2010, 16:17
No way will you be able to use a mag to turn the bushing on a SACS built gun.

bac1023
12-15-2010, 16:21
As for accuracy, either is capable of extreme accuracy if done right.

Of course they are. Like I said, all else being equal.

Both setups are capable of extreme accuracy.

bac1023
12-15-2010, 16:22
No way will you be able to use a mag to turn the bushing on a SACS built gun.

:agree:

I need a wrench for my Baers, TGO1, Guncrafter, and RRA.

Nickpisp
12-15-2010, 16:38
I use a mag to take down my Custom Crimson Carry II, rather than the bushing wrench. Just as easy to use, and I always have a mag on me, verses having to find my bushing wrench.

I was referring to bull barrel guns.

Rinspeed
12-15-2010, 17:43
The better the reason to fix them. Bushing barrels should not need a bushing wrench to take off the barrel.
That is unless you have an extreme need for every .10 of an inch accuracy gain. (Think Olympic lever shooters...not gun shop/internet bragging rights).

That's one opinion but it's been awhile since I've heard of anyone needing to do a tactical field strip. :tongueout:

rsxr22
12-15-2010, 18:37
Im pretty sure, short of military, does anyone need to be able to break a gun down in the field. Private, no reason. LE, thats why they carry back-ups. And how hard is it to carry a bushing wrench in your range bag? Both my TRP and Spartan require wrenches. It saves my fingers and takes seconds. It reminds me of when I got the locking pins for my AR. Everyone was scolding me saying "how are you going to disassemble your weapon system in a tactical engagement, environment, dynamic, critical stress situation" Like calm down weekend warriors!! If this was a duty weapon, I could see the relevance, however, even through my LE and Private training, we were taught malfunction troubleshooting. Other than that, if the gun goes down, you reach for your secondary! Thats what their there for

nolt
12-15-2010, 19:32

i dont disagree in that for my purpose they dont need to be that tight. but i do likem that way (makes me feel special) and as noted by others those of us that are not professional gun carriers are less concerned about this.

certainly will say that any number of other factors (high cut grip, trigger, coffee, etc) will influence my accuracy much more than how tight the barrel bushing is...

but hell i didnt make that statement to argue. just stoking the baer fire. :supergrin:

HAIL CAESAR
12-15-2010, 20:44
i dont disagree in that for my purpose they dont need to be that tight. but i do likem that way (makes me feel special) and as noted by others those of us that are not professional gun carriers are less concerned about this.

certainly will say that any number of other factors (high cut grip, trigger, coffee, etc) will influence my accuracy much more than how tight the barrel bushing is...

but hell i didnt make that statement to argue. just stoking the baer fire. :supergrin:

I agree with you. If you want a bushing so tight it takes a pipe wrench to take off....for the hell of it....or for a target gun, that is fine.

I really have a issue with the lower lug tight fit. So tight you have a heck of a time racking the gun. That is no good for a CCW or Duty gun.

Oh, BTW. I knew you weren't trying to start an argument.:wavey:

rcamp
12-16-2010, 17:39
thanks for all replies

ShakyDave
12-20-2010, 10:37
I think bushings, generally, are easier to field strip, except for Baers (mine has 2,000 rounds through it and I still have to hammer the bushing in on reassembly).

You can take down a Kimber if you got enough thumb. There's a video somewhere on the web demonstrating it. I'm enough of a girly-man that I use shooting gloves, anyway, so with my Kimbers I continue to use the tiny little tool.

I'm not convinced that bull barrels are inherently more accurate, but I am certain the extra weight pulls you back on target for faster second shots in competition. Since there's no free lunch, though, any extra weight forward tends to slow down maneuvering for acquisition and builds up momentum that you have to stop when you're swinging from one target to the next. All this is totally meaningless for real-life applications, anyway. My carry gun is a Colt New Agent that doesn't even have sights.

bac1023
12-20-2010, 10:53
Up next.....

GI plug vs FLGR........

:rofl:

gomerpyle
12-20-2010, 12:03
:steamed: Now ya got me thinking about calling Brandon and changing to a bull barrel...

bac1023
12-20-2010, 12:12
:steamed: Now ya got me thinking about calling Brandon and changing to a bull barrel...

I would, to be honest. Infinitys are typically non traditional anyway. :)

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_3962.jpg