Better shot dispersal with a Mossberg Maverick 88?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Better shot dispersal with a Mossberg Maverick 88??

tnstaafl
12-14-2010, 21:04
I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 (pistol grip instead of the standard stock) in a rack under the bed - it's what I reach for first when something goes bump in the night. It's loaded with 00 Buck. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to the gun to get better shot dispersal (a bigger pattern) and still maintain effectiveness. Thanks!

longrangedog
12-14-2010, 21:17
The really devistating characteristic of a shotgun is its' ability to put multiple hits on a target with one shot. Dispersal beyond normal (oo buck with a short barrel and an open choke) is not desirable. Vang Comp upgrades defensive shotguns and sells them for premium prices. Their upgrades produce tighter patterns.

unit1069
12-14-2010, 22:03
I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 (pistol grip instead of the standard stock) in a rack under the bed - it's what I reach for first when something goes bump in the night. It's loaded with 00 Buck. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to the gun to get better shot dispersal (a bigger pattern) and still maintain effectiveness. Thanks!

For a home defense scenario of 20 feet or less I wouldn't worry about effectiveness with the buckshot load you're using, as long as you remember you can't just point a shotgun in a general direction and expect to be accurate. I have the same Maverick 88 and I added a Knoxx Reduced Recoil adjustable stock. Made a whole lot of difference to me.

Incidently, I was staying by myself in a remote cabin when I was awakened from sleep by a "bump in the night". I discovered that coming out of sleep I was naturally weak and temporarily paralyzed by the fear of the unknown emergency. Trying to reach for a heavy shotgun in the dark was a difficult chore and since that moment I have a pistol within arms length with the shotgun nearby for when I regain normal function.

tnstaafl
12-15-2010, 08:12
Thanks for the guidance, guys - much appreciated.

I used to keep a G23 on the nightstand, but now feel comfortable with going for the shotgun first. It's sitting in a piece of large diameter PVC pipe under the bed, completely concealed, mounted perpendicular to the edge of the bed. With the pistol grip on the shotgun, it's light enough and maneuverable enough to handle easily upon rolling out of bed. I'm a light sleeper anyway.

"Dispersal beyond normal (oo buck with a short barrel and an open choke) is not desirable." - so, I wonder if I'm already in that situation now with the Mossberg Maverick? I have the model with the shorter barrel. I've brought it to the range a few times and at 20 feet, the pattern looks pretty tight . . .

dc2integra
12-15-2010, 21:56
For a home defense scenario of 20 feet or less I wouldn't worry about effectiveness with the buckshot load you're using, as long as you remember you can't just point a shotgun in a general direction and expect to be accurate. I have the same Maverick 88 and I added a Knoxx Reduced Recoil adjustable stock. Made a whole lot of difference to me.

Incidently, I was staying by myself in a remote cabin when I was awakened from sleep by a "bump in the night". I discovered that coming out of sleep I was naturally weak and temporarily paralyzed by the fear of the unknown emergency. Trying to reach for a heavy shotgun in the dark was a difficult chore and since that moment I have a pistol within arms length with the shotgun nearby for when I regain normal function.
This is exactly how im setup for hd I have my g23 within arms reach and my shotgun nearby

TexasNativeDRJH
12-15-2010, 22:34
For my Mossberg, Sellier and Bellot buckshot patterns wider than any other brand I've tried. Plus they have translucent hulls which look cool too.