best choke tube for 00 buck/slug [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : best choke tube for 00 buck/slug

Glock212327
12-14-2010, 22:43
I have a remington 1100 tac 4 and i was wondering whats the best choke tube for 00buck and slug. I also have some winchester pdx 12 ammo with both projectiles in one shell. Right now i have a improved cyl in....Thanks guys.

aippi
12-15-2010, 00:06
I say stick with the I/C when you are talking about choke tubes. For a fixed choke Modified is best for this as it stablizes the slug better then other chokes. However, with threaded choke tubes the more restricted Modified is putting a lot more stress on the barrel threads. You have stainless steel pulling againest steel. Over the years the stainless just has to win out. Not talking a few years but I can see that tube going down range one day if you shoot a lot of slugs. I would say I/C gives you good stablization of the slug and some decent patterns with 00. You already have that tube so go have a blast (pun intended)

Glock212327
12-15-2010, 01:41
will the improved cyl work well with just 00 buck as well? this is my first shotgun that has screw in chokes. They came with 3 different chokes- full choke, Mod, and Improved.

ADK_40GLKr
12-15-2010, 10:20
This may be a dumb question, but do "Improved Cylinder Chokes" have rifling for slugs? If so, wouldn't that disperse the shot from a buck load too much?

I recently shot 00 Buck through a rifled barrel and got a 2 foot diameter donut pattern at 25'.

aippi
12-15-2010, 11:32
No, there are rifled choke tubes but the have those words printed on them. There are mixed reviews if they even work.

Normal choke tubes, all of them are smooth bore.

method
12-15-2010, 12:52
Try both the modified and IC and see which shoots the tightest patterns and groups.

David_Ely
12-15-2010, 14:56
Try both the modified and IC and see which shoots the tightest patterns and groups.

This is the key right here. Test pattern your buckshot with the different chokes to find out which works best with your gun.

Glock212327
12-15-2010, 21:16
Thanks guys

Glolt20-91
12-15-2010, 22:30
For OO buck, I like improved for home, modified as a camp gun.

Bob :cowboy:

Glock212327
12-16-2010, 20:26
thanks bob i'm going to keep that improved in and see how it shoots. Thanks for the help

Z71bill
12-17-2010, 19:26
Full choke is "best" for buckshot -

IC is "best" for slugs

If you plan on shooting both I guess split the difference go with modified.

My HD gun is open cylinder so I don't have a choice -

Agent6-3/8
12-17-2010, 22:37
Full choke is "best" for buckshot -

IC is "best" for slugs

If you plan on shooting both I guess split the difference go with modified.

My HD gun is open cylinder so I don't have a choice -

Haven't you got that backwards? IC is a more open choke than full. Using a full choke with buck should give one a very tight pattern at SD ranges. The defensive shotguns I've seen and used have all been fixed chokes, either IC or "riot" as is stamped on my Winchester 1200.

David_Ely
12-18-2010, 06:38
Full choke with buckshot is "best" when hunting but may not give you the desired pattern for home defense.

Z71bill
12-18-2010, 14:38
Haven't you got that backwards? IC is a more open choke than full. Using a full choke with buck should give one a very tight pattern at SD ranges. The defensive shotguns I've seen and used have all been fixed chokes, either IC or "riot" as is stamped on my Winchester 1200.

In reality I don't think the choke matters all that much at inside the house ranges. Open cylinder or full choke at 20 feet or less will still get the job done.

But

Why would you want the pattern to open up / spread out more with buckshot?

No way spreading out the pattern will result in a harder hit on the target - and I sure hope nobody is thinking - spread the pattern out so you don't need to aim or less chance of a miss.

IMHO the reason HD shotguns - like the Remington Express have open cylinder barrels has more to do with it being cheaper to make - than being the best choke. But honestly that is just my opinion that I am pulling out of my ear - so I am more than willing to change my opinion on this if someone can give me a logical reason to do so.

It does say on the box of Remington buckshot that a full choke will give the best results. No doubt the longer the distance the more you would rather have a full choke.

method
12-18-2010, 17:04
Full choke probably would give the best patterns with buckshot, but it probably won't be ideal for slugs, which is what you'd want to be loading for shots past 30 yards or so anyhow. Yes you can stretch a bit more out of buckshot pattern wise, but those pellets are losing energy pretty fast past 40 or 50 yards.

Modified does make a good choice, as it gives a bit of constriction to keep buck on target out to 30 yards, but it also works well with a lot of slugs.