Linux Easy Peasy Questions - MBR on host modified [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Linux Easy Peasy Questions - MBR on host modified

duncan
12-15-2010, 14:01
Guys, I installed Easy Peasy from a USB drive to a 4gb SD flash card.

Everything works well and I'm very happy for UNR optimized for ASUS Eee netbooks. Have a ASUS Eee with Win 7 starter - hence the need for Ubuntu.

HOWEVER, I apparently missed a step.

When I pull the SD card out, I get a no device error.

The SD card has to be inserted for my netbook to boot.

Seems as if the grub loader got installed into my host netbook instead of all being installed on the SD card.

Any fixes for this guys?

Also thinking of a bigger SD card - any size recommendations for mainly internet and some games for my kids?

I'm also getting out of disk space messages proclaiming I only have 163mb of space left. Seems a larger SD card is in order.

How can I fix this little mess oh Linux demigods?

Options?

IndyGunFreak
12-15-2010, 14:47
Never used it w/ 7... but it says it's supported.... I've used it to backup/restore and "fix" XP MBR's several times.

Instructions here...
http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm

Download here...
http://download.cnet.com/MbrFix/3000-2094_4-10485990.html

duncan
12-15-2010, 19:07
Thanks but do I load that on the Linux side or the Windows side?

IndyGunFreak
12-16-2010, 08:13
Well.. it's an .exe...

This isn't really a Linux issue though. If clearing/restoring the MBR were easier w/ Windows, this could be accomplished in about 10sec. The guys in grub support tend to be a bit anal, so I probably wouldn't send you there for help... and honestly, I'm just not that familiar w/ 7 to give any sage advice. Everything I find on restoring the MBR of a 7 PC, requires you going into recovery console from a 7 boot CD(which I'm assuming you don't have). I know I've restored XP's mbr w/ the tool I gave you above quite a few times (usually from a backup)

If you installed 10.10, it now has an option(if you used advanced partitioning.. not sure what guided partitioning does) to install Grub to another device, but that does no good now.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

Keep in mind, I have never done the below.. but supposedly #16 in the first post can be done from a Linux Live Disk... Frankly, I'm a little suspect that Lilo can restore a Windows 7 MBR... but he says it works.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

Linux3
12-16-2010, 09:36
IGF, I know a way lot less about Win 7 but....
With the flash drive installed I assume booting into windows is possible?

The way I have replaced the MBR on XP systems was to boot into windows XP, open the console and type in 'fdisk /MBR'
This would replace the MBR and wipe grub or lilo off.
This doesn't work with anything newer that XP?

Then when the flash drive is installed just use the BIOS to select it for boot.

IndyGunFreak
12-16-2010, 10:42
IGF, I know a way lot less about Win 7 but....
With the flash drive installed I assume booting into windows is possible?

The way I have replaced the MBR on XP systems was to boot into windows XP, open the console and type in 'fdisk /MBR'
This would replace the MBR and wipe grub or lilo off.
This doesn't work with anything newer that XP?

Then when the flash drive is installed just use the BIOS to select it for boot.

From what he's saying, thats what it sounds like.. If he boots the SD card, it loads grub, then he can choose Win7, and once win7 loads, he can remove the SD card.

but I thought it was always /fixmbr or /fixboot. Regardless, I can find no reference to those commands in Win7... everyone says to boot the recovery/system CD.. and go fro there.

duncan
12-19-2010, 00:09
Thanks guys.

Fixed it.

Really nice freeware program from download.com

Easeus Partition Master Home Edition 6.5.2

Just select your disk and it rebuilds your MBR.:wavey:

GIockGuy24
12-19-2010, 10:57
The Mandriva install disk have a utility to rewrite / repair the Windows Master Boot Record. I think it's on the last disk in the CD set and should be on the Mandriva install DVD. Maybe not on Mandriva One though, just the standard install disks.

GIockGuy24
12-19-2010, 11:02
I prefer to install grub on a a USB flash drive or a an SD card and not modify the Windows MBR. That way Windows boots without the flash drive and Linux or Windows can be chosen with the flash drive . On my desktop I put grub on a floppy. A lot of the Ubuntu live CD's don't allow that though and the alternate Ubuntu disk is required and I think the Mint live disks allow placing Grub where you want it, or not all and can use the CD to boot into Linux on the hard drive.

GIockGuy24
12-19-2010, 11:05
I have had some of the BSD live CD's mess up the Windows MBR without installing anything. Just from booting the live CD. I think some of the newer ones may be better but still something to watch out for.

duncan
12-20-2010, 20:42
I prefer to install grub on a a USB flash drive or a an SD card and not modify the Windows MBR. That way Windows boots without the flash drive and Linux or Windows can be chosen with the flash drive . On my desktop I put grub on a floppy. A lot of the Ubuntu live CD's don't allow that though and the alternate Ubuntu disk is required and I think the Mint live disks allow placing Grub where you want it, or not all and can use the CD to boot into Linux on the hard drive.

Well guys, I whacked Easy Peasy due to very quiet development and am now running Ubuntu Netbook Ed.

And I restroed my MBR with that free app above and installed the grub booter correctly on the 8GB SD card this time.