Do you keep more than 1 HD shotgun loaded? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep more than 1 HD shotgun loaded?

Z71bill
12-15-2010, 15:06
I have 5 shotguns - but only keep one - my 870 18.5" barrel loaded (0 buckshot) for HD duty.

I am planning to keep my wife's 20 gauge semi auto loaded up with some #3 buckshot. That way if we do have a situation I could at least hand her the 20 gauge and not have to worry about loading it up.

Seems like a no brainer --

This got me thinking -

Should I keep an extra shotgun ready for use?

I could load up one of my Winchester 12 gauge pumps that are set up more for hunting with some slugs or 000 buckshot.

Easier to grab a second gun than fumble a reload?

Or

Am I better off with the keep it simple method - have one shotgun to go to - no need to think about it - I reload all the time - and have extra shells on the gun.

BTW - I have a few pistols and an AK ready (empty chamber multiple full mags) if the need comes up - I am really just talking about shotguns.

kimo
12-15-2010, 15:16
All my weapons are loaded. I think its dumb to have unloaded weapons. Don't touch that weapon, its unloaded!

smitters
12-18-2010, 19:40
I agree with kimo...an unloaded gun is just a club. I don't want a few baseball bats and hammers laying around when I need a loaded gun. All mine are loaded and ready to serve their function in life as a "firearm," not club. And no I don't have kids, but when I do they will learn the importance of guns and gun safety. Kinda pisses me off when people tell me that's dangerous all those loaded guns. I just say don't touch the f...ing trigger and it will lay there contently forever and not kill anyone.

Z71bill
12-18-2010, 19:59
So if you had 25-30 guns you would keep them all loaded?

I don't see a need - in a way the fact that I have 9 (soon to be 10) guns loaded seems almost borderline CRAZY GUN GUY! At least it would to many folks. :wow::shocked:

blackwater P226
12-18-2010, 20:13
So if you had 25-30 guns you would keep them all loaded?

I don't see a need - in a way the fact that I have 9 (soon to be 10) guns loaded seems almost borderline CRAZY GUN GUY! At least it would to many folks. :wow::shocked:

Only if you are paranoid,,,,,ONE is enough

dc2integra
12-18-2010, 23:51
I agree with kimo...an unloaded gun is just a club. I don't want a few baseball bats and hammers laying around when I need a loaded gun. All mine are loaded and ready to serve their function in life as a "firearm," not club. And no I don't have kids, but when I do they will learn the importance of guns and gun safety. Kinda pisses me off when people tell me that's dangerous all those loaded guns. I just say don't touch the f...ing trigger and it will lay there contently forever and not kill anyone.
I take it you like mossberg 500 s. I only keep one of my shotguns loaded

smitters
12-19-2010, 02:59
Yeah I kinda like Mossbergs...I do agree with the idea that too many could seem paranoid. I didn't go that far into my little rant lol. I must be paranoid becuase I have a loaded gun in every room of my apartment. All my handguns on display on my dresser, loaded:-), a shotgun in the living room, a shotgun in the dining/ kitchen area and a handgun on the back of my toilet. I guess after having carried a gun full time for the last 5 years I get used to having one around. That and I don't ever want to get caught without one, especially in my own house. That is my castle and I win all battles there...maybe paranoid is correct.

smitters
12-19-2010, 03:02
Z71...I really don't mind being the crazy gun guy...makes me feel special lmao!!!!!!!

Z71bill
12-19-2010, 09:19
Z71...I really don't mind being the crazy gun guy...makes me feel special lmao!!!!!!!

It does sort of sneak up on you - :dunno:

Start off with one HD gun (in my case a 12 gauge I used for hunting)- then over time add a few more.

Live through a hurricane or two - makes a guy think about HD in a whole new way. :shocked:

Getting a CHL "forces" :upeyes: you into a pistol - then another and another and then

Add a carbine and a couple of rifles - and a few more guns just because you WANT them and then extra mags and a few cases of ammo and all of a sudden = CRAZY GUN GUY!

robinsok
12-19-2010, 09:48
Yeah I kinda like Mossbergs...I do agree with the idea that too many could seem paranoid. I didn't go that far into my little rant lol. I must be paranoid becuase I have a loaded gun in every room of my apartment. All my handguns on display on my dresser, loaded:-), a shotgun in the living room, a shotgun in the dining/ kitchen area and a handgun on the back of my toilet. I guess after having carried a gun full time for the last 5 years I get used to having one around. That and I don't ever want to get caught without one, especially in my own house. That is my castle and I win all battles there...maybe paranoid is correct.

No offense, but how does leaving a loaded shotgun in the living room and in the kitchen area help you win "all battles"? Seems to me that a loaded gun in any other area than where you are sleeping at night seems like it would give you a lot better chances of being shot with it if someone came in. I figure if you want a gun available at every second, carry one. I wouldn't leave loaded shotguns laying all over the house for an intruder to grab.

cj5mrt
12-19-2010, 10:08
I only have one 870 loaded. But it's backed up by my G23 and a KelTec sub2000 that uses the same mags as the 23. If 10rds of buckshot and 78rds of .40 aren't enough, we're just SOL.

Mike

Truckee
12-19-2010, 10:49
No offense, but how does leaving a loaded shotgun in the living room and in the kitchen area help you win "all battles"? Seems to me that a loaded gun in any other area than where you are sleeping at night seems like it would give you a lot better chances of being shot with it if someone came in. I figure if you want a gun available at every second, carry one. I wouldn't leave loaded shotguns laying all over the house for an intruder to grab.
^^ My first thought when I read the OP.
A well hidden HG in the basement is one thing. Stashing difficult to hide SGs all over the house is an invitation to be shot IMO.

1 old 0311
12-19-2010, 11:02

+2 E-V-E-R-Y firearm I own is loaded.

VZ1600
12-19-2010, 11:49
Yes.

I keep my Mossy SPX 930 (primary) at the bedside loaded with #1 buck and my Mossy 500A (backup) in a footchest loaded with low-recoil 00 buck. I also have my G34 within arms reach at all times as my fighting tool to make it to one of my shotguns.

Z71bill
12-19-2010, 21:31
+2 E-V-E-R-Y firearm I own is loaded.

Even your .22 caliber stuff?

G23c
12-20-2010, 07:50

nothing wrong with being prepared, your good for the Suarez 2-second rule. :supergrin:

huskerbuttons
12-20-2010, 08:31
Yes I do. And a few pistols are kept loaded along with a couple of AR's. Screw that fumbling around with a reload crap.

Glock27NY
12-20-2010, 09:05
2 Glocks 17/26 + 870 loaded. Everything else unloaded and in the gun safe.

Mr Wasabi
12-20-2010, 09:25
Even your .22 caliber stuff?

We have some kamikaze squirrels around here. You never know. :supergrin:

David Armstrong
12-20-2010, 10:37
I will only keep guns under my immediate control loaded. Loading everything in the gun vault or hiding a bunch of loaded guns all over the house seems rather counterproductive to me. So for me that means a loaded handgun of some type with me and a loaded long gun within easy access. Spare ammo for both long gun and handgun are kept with the long gun.

B Coyote
12-20-2010, 19:26
I will only keep guns under my immediate control loaded. Loading everything in the gun vault or hiding a bunch of loaded guns all over the house seems rather counterproductive to me. So for me that means a loaded handgun of some type with me and a loaded long gun within easy access. Spare ammo for both long gun and handgun are kept with the long gun.

This is how I do things, as well.

bc

ADagenhart
12-27-2010, 11:57
I keep my Moss under my bed with 5 rounds on the stock, but it's not loaded. I keep my nightstand gun loaded.

Aceman
12-27-2010, 12:00
Just been leaving your wife defenseless all these years???

One gun for every adult shooter - their choice. My wife's choice is the USP. She can have a hand on the gun and one on the phone.

GACajunGlocker
12-29-2010, 16:54

Interesting. I've read many well thought out responses from you on various forums here on GT and I think you have some valuable insight. Help me to understand the reasoning behind spare ammo for both long gun and handgun being kept at long gun location. I keep a spare mag with my night stand gun and have spare ammo for long gun at long gun location. The only reason I'd see for keeping spare handgun ammo with long gun is if you have to use the handgun to fight to your long gun position if a firefight were to ensue. That way you'd have backup handgun ammo in case you needed it. Is this the reasoning or are there other factors at play here.

(A quick aside, my hometown is Lake Charles...lived there until I graduated from McNeese in 1977 and have lived away since)

Draven21
12-29-2010, 17:13
Saiga 12 and 870 are ready to rock.

glockfan9
12-29-2010, 21:33
G19 w/ 16rds of gold dots in night stand
870 w/ 6rds of 00 buck in closet
and if the zombies get in the house.. walther P22 with red dot and 10 loaded mags in closet
:) just incase SHTF

aippi
12-29-2010, 21:51
If it is not loaded it is not an HD weapon, it is a collection weapon. Any weapon intended for HD needs to be loaded as there may not be time to do so. With this comes the responsibility of having loaded weapon around. Everyones situation is different and changes over the years. Kids are all grown and gone so mine situation has changed and my weapons are with in easy reach and loaded and there are several. Each person has to fit their need so there is not one size fits all.

David Armstrong
12-30-2010, 09:26
Interesting. I've read many well thought out responses from you on various forums here on GT and I think you have some valuable insight. Help me to understand the reasoning behind spare ammo for both long gun and handgun being kept at long gun location. I keep a spare mag with my night stand gun and have spare ammo for long gun at long gun location. The only reason I'd see for keeping spare handgun ammo with long gun is if you have to use the handgun to fight to your long gun position if a firefight were to ensue. That way you'd have backup handgun ammo in case you needed it. Is this the reasoning or are there other factors at play here.
It's easy for me. The handgun is in the nightstand and the shotgun is in the closet next to the nightstand. All the "extra" stuff is in a grab bag...ammo for shotgun (or rifle more often now) and handgun; flashlight, spare keys, cell phone. It's all there if I need anything. To me, why keep spare ammo with the handgun unless you plan on staying put and fighting with your handgun? Whether I stay put or if I decide to move, the long gun is easily available and so is the grab bag. I would ask if the long gun is used for HD, why would you have it someplace you need to get to or fight your way to at night instead of having it readily available?
(A quick aside, my hometown is Lake Charles...lived there until I graduated from McNeese in 1977 and have lived away since)
Come back and visit. You wouldn't believe how much the place has changed!

GACajunGlocker
12-30-2010, 11:04
I would ask if the long gun is used for HD, why would you have it someplace you need to get to or fight your way to at night instead of having it readily available?

Point well made. My long gun (in my case a 590A1 shotgun with 10 rounds on board) is under my bed on my side of the bed so its extremely close by. However I have not thought of having a grab bag with extra items that I may need. I'll have to think this one through.

Thoughts on needs in the grab bag

1. I can see spare ammo for whatever weapons I might require. Question is how much would be desirable....too much is weight...to little could be deadly. What is the happy medium here?

2. I can see the need for a hand held flashlight in case you need to take it outside or see around the house. I do have a light on my G23 bedside pistol and am working through a mounting problem which I will solve for mounting a light on my 590A1.

3. I can see the need for spare keys as well....which ones though? I am thinking house and car keys only....my gun safe is combination type so no key for it. Any other keys?

4. Cell phone....this I'm not sure about. I only have one cell phone and it is generally in a charger over night, every night. I don't see the mechanics of having to, in a tense situation, remembering to unplug it from the charger and grabbing it on the way out to confront BG. Do you have a spare cell phone that you keep in your grab bag or just put your cell phone in the grab bag every night?

5. Another thing regarding the cell phone. If you hear noises in your house, don't know if it is BG or what. Do you call 911 then investigate or investigate then call 911. If your wife/SO is close by I suppose they could call 911 while you investigate...just depends if you have one or not? What choice do you make if you are by yourself.....investigate and confront BG and after situation is resolved (gun fight or BG leaves) then call 911?

I have not really developed a plan for such an incident and I can see that I am way behind on this thought process. I have lots of investigation to do and need to formulate such a response plan and work it through with my wife so that we both will be informed and hopefully will remember the plan and execute it, even if wakened from a deep sleep at 4am. So much to think about here.....this is a good forum.

David Armstrong
12-30-2010, 20:33
Point well made. My long gun (in my case a 590A1 shotgun with 10 rounds on board) is under my bed on my side of the bed so its extremely close by. However I have not thought of having a grab bag with extra items that I may need. I'll have to think this one through.

Thoughts on needs in the grab bag
My thoughts on what works best for me:
1. I can see spare ammo for whatever weapons I might require. Question is how much would be desirable....too much is weight...to little could be deadly. What is the happy medium here?
I do one spare reload for the handgun and whatever is comfortable for the long gun. With the rifle (M1 Carbine), 2 spare 15 round mags. If the AR15, 2 20 round mags. For the shotgun, the ammo pouch holds 12 rounds so that is what I have spare. I actually don't anticipate needing spare ammo, but the bag is also my grab and go bag if there is a local problem tha tneeds a quick response.
2. I can see the need for a hand held flashlight in case you need to take it outside or see around the house. I do have a light on my G23 bedside pistol and am working through a mounting problem which I will solve for mounting a light on my 590A1.
To each their own. I like my light separate from the gun but lots of folks like them mounted.
3. I can see the need for spare keys as well....which ones though? I am thinking house and car keys only....my gun safe is combination type so no key for it. Any other keys?
Nope, house and car.
4. Cell phone....this I'm not sure about. I only have one cell phone and it is generally in a charger over night, every night. I don't see the mechanics of having to, in a tense situation, remembering to unplug it from the charger and grabbing it on the way out to confront BG. Do you have a spare cell phone that you keep in your grab bag or just put your cell phone in the grab bag every night?
Cheap, pay as you go TracPhone. I put it on the charger once a week, leave it in the bag turned off the rest of the time.
5. Another thing regarding the cell phone. If you hear noises in your house, don't know if it is BG or what. Do you call 911 then investigate or investigate then call 911. If your wife/SO is close by I suppose they could call 911 while you investigate...just depends if you have one or not? What choice do you make if you are by yourself.....investigate and confront BG and after situation is resolved (gun fight or BG leaves) then call 911?
I don't recommend anyone investigate. Wandering through a house looking for BGs is not a recipe for long life. My advise is to grab gear, fort up, announce loudly that you have a gun and the police have been called, then call 911. If BG leaves, great, if he doesn't you are in a position that gives you the greatest chance of survival as he has to come to you.
"But gee, Doc, what if there is no BG and stuff?" My basic rule of thumb: if I think I need to grab a gun to go check it out, I'm not going to check it out. I'm calling the pros (and that is coming from a guy who spent 20+ years as a pro and taught other pros how to clear houses) if there is any doubt that the disturbance was anything other than a small furry creature or less.

GACajunGlocker
12-30-2010, 22:39
I actually don't anticipate needing spare ammo, but the bag is also my grab and go bag if there is a local problem that needs a quick response.

Grab and go bag. Here we are getting into something I am not familiar with. I have heard the term "bug out bag"...."grab and go bag" and similar terms. To me I'd think you'd have a small big with a minimum of items that you might need to utilize if you "fort up" in your bedroom, to keep close at hand or to retreat and regroup if you have such a need (maybe 3 BG and you have to go out your bedroom window). Is that the usage you have in mind for such a bag? Also, what type of local problem would you have to address? Again, I am a layman here and by reading your blog and quals I see where you instruct this type of situational analysis and response so bear with me here.

Cheap, pay as you go TracPhone. I put it on the charger once a week, leave it in the bag turned off the rest of the time.

I like this idea...I see a trip to Wally World electronics department in my New Year's weekend plans.

Since you are "in the biz" can you recommend any reference materials that covers some of the thought processes and recommendations to help someone like me develop enough background knowledge to help me to develop a response plan for my home that my wife and I can utilize?

Thanks for the help and I hope everyone has a safe and great New Year's weekend.

David Armstrong
01-01-2011, 13:09
Grab and go bag. Here we are getting into something I am not familiar with. I have heard the term "bug out bag"...."grab and go bag" and similar terms. To me I'd think you'd have a small big with a minimum of items that you might need to utilize if you "fort up" in your bedroom, to keep close at hand or to retreat and regroup if you have such a need (maybe 3 BG and you have to go out your bedroom window). Is that the usage you have in mind for such a bag?
That is pretty close. The "grab and go" was something I picked up in the military and as a LEO, just a small bag that gave you access to a few things you would find useful in any situation but didn't take up much room or weigh much. I keep a couple of small pouches of water and a little something to eat in mine as well as the fighting gear.
Also, what type of local problem would you have to address? Again, I am a layman here and by reading your blog and quals I see where you instruct this type of situational analysis and response so bear with me here.
It can be any problem. For example, a couple of ladies were walking by the house the other day, and stopped to see if Ben (son-in-law, deputy sheriff) would mind talking with a guy they had seen hanging around an abandoned church down the road that they wondered about. Ben said sure, asked if I'd go with him. Grabbed my bag and off we went. It might be a car horn that is blaring for several minutes that needs to be checked. Person with a medical issue, or someone being attacked in their car? Once we had a little girl trapped on a swingset by a handful of feral dogs. If they had decided to attck instead of run it would be nice to be able to have some spare gear as you sit in the tree wondering what to do.
Since you are "in the biz" can you recommend any reference materials that covers some of the thought processes and recommendations to help someone like me develop enough background knowledge to help me to develop a response plan for my home that my wife and I can utilize?
Sure. I recommend you hire me and pay me absolutely ridiculous sums of money to mine my expertise:supergrin:! But failing in that, Walt Rauch did a good little book called "Real World Survival", and John Farnam's "Farnam Method of Defensive Shooting" books are good. And Mas Ayoob, a member of this forum, is one of the best in the country, IMO, when it comes to discussing defensive tactics and use of force.

GACajunGlocker
01-01-2011, 17:27
Thanks for the advice...and sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread. I'm going to see about picking up those books..maybe on Amazon and I have wandered over by the GATE Self Defense Forum and lurked a little on Mas's comments there....lots of insight there.

Hope everyone at GT has had a good New Year's Day and has a great 2011.