Need HDTV gear advice - peculiar needs, first purchase [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need HDTV gear advice - peculiar needs, first purchase

Grabbrass
12-15-2010, 22:37
So, the wife and I are finially considering the purchase of a large flat-panel HDTV. We've been using our big ol' 36" JVC CRT television for about 9 years, and it's only recently that we began to feel we're missing out. That's because, for the most part, we don't watch television. Not American television, anyway. About 90% of the TV watched in our house is japanese TV, some of which is on DVD's sent by my father-in-law, but most of which is downloaded from the internet. Yeah, we're weird. (But japanese TV is better, trust me.) Anyway, over the last year or so, more and more of the japanese TV programs I'm downloading are 720p and even 1080p ... and wow! do they look great on the PC. But piped upstairs over regular AV cables to our old TV set, it's the same-old-same-old. So we need to upgrade.

We're looking at a 55" 240hz Sony Bravia LED set, very nice. But here's my question ... what's the best way of piping the full quality of the japanese TV vids on my PC (formats include .mp4, .avi, .m2ts, .ts, .wmv, and etc.) to the new razzle-dazzle television?? I'd like to be able to do it wirelessly, since the PC is downstairs and the TV will be upstairs. But if hard-wired is definitely the way to go, I could see buying a basic pc for dedicated 'home theater' use upstairs. I just need some overview and insight on all this since I'm a complete noob and idiot on the subject.

Thanks.

JimmyN
12-16-2010, 06:36
If you want to watch HD content over a LAN then hardwired would be best, wireless "g" is definitely too slow, wireless "n" may work OK. It would depend on how far it is from the router, other traffic on the LAN, interference from other signal sources, whether the router is having to deal with mixed "n" and "g" connections, etc.

When watching a Blu-Ray movie off my NAS (.m2ts), or a saved HDTV show/movie (.ts) traffic will vary between 25~55mbps, and when watching a DVD (.vob) it will vary between 4~8mbps, with occasional peaks over 10mbps. Both are beyond the capability of wireless "g". You can watch a DVD over wireless "g" but it will have a lot of pauses, skips, and stuttering.

havensal
12-16-2010, 08:33
I just installed a 55" Bravia, KDL55EX501. It has a USB port that you can put a thumb drive or an external HDD into. I'll have to see if that supports any video formats or only photos. You could get a laptop with HDMI out and use that as your player. :dunno:

GenX
12-16-2010, 08:53
I've watched mpeg2 with a thumb drive on my 40" W series, as thats all it supports. Hopefully yours will have more format support. Connectting wired is going to be your best bet. I've got the tv connected to my desktop as a monitor and also wired to my router. So we can stream netflix directly to the tv or watch via the computer interface. I'm not even sure if a wireless setup can be accomplished on the older bravia sets. Yours just might support that though, with an adapter.

fgutie35
12-16-2010, 08:58
If your PC all it has is the standard analog VGA monitor output, then there is no way you will be able to. The only way, is with a laptop with HDMI output, or a PC with DVI (Digital Video 720p max) monitor output. Otherwise, I would recoment you get yourself a BlueRay DVD player with access to Netflix or Hulu (Ethernet Port). That setup will allow you to do everything you want to do.

RMD
12-16-2010, 10:26
So, the wife and I are finially considering the purchase of a large flat-panel HDTV. We've been using our big ol' 36" JVC CRT television for about 9 years, and it's only recently that we began to feel we're missing out. That's because, for the most part, we don't watch television. Not American television, anyway. About 90% of the TV watched in our house is japanese TV, some of which is on DVD's sent by my father-in-law, but most of which is downloaded from the internet. Yeah, we're weird. (But japanese TV is better, trust me.) Anyway, over the last year or so, more and more of the japanese TV programs I'm downloading are 720p and even 1080p ... and wow! do they look great on the PC. But piped upstairs over regular AV cables to our old TV set, it's the same-old-same-old. So we need to upgrade.

We're looking at a 55" 240hz Sony Bravia LED set, very nice. But here's my question ... what's the best way of piping the full quality of the japanese TV vids on my PC (formats include .mp4, .avi, .m2ts, .ts, .wmv, and etc.) to the new razzle-dazzle television?? I'd like to be able to do it wirelessly, since the PC is downstairs and the TV will be upstairs. But if hard-wired is definitely the way to go, I could see buying a basic pc for dedicated 'home theater' use upstairs. I just need some overview and insight on all this since I'm a complete noob and idiot on the subject.

Thanks.

Wireless might work. I have dual radio wireless router and everyone gets the 2.4 G, except the video equipment - they're all on a 5 GHz N network. I get 100 Mb/s routinely. YMMV.