Gateway boot discs... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gateway boot discs...

Detectorist
12-15-2010, 23:09
Gateway Netbook. Great little computer. HD went south with some very bad sectors. Gateway sent me new HD and recovery disks. System disc is supposed to be bootable to start the recovery process. First one they sent doesn't boot. Replacement doesn't boot either. That sucks. How often are there 2 bad discs?

So I did what any self respecting desperate geek would do.....installed Ubuntu 10.10 and it works flawlessly. If I didn't need to run a bunch of Windows software I would keep Ubuntu on the Gateway.

Isn't there software for Ubuntu which runs Windows reliably?

filthy infidel
12-16-2010, 12:40
I use Ubuntu and Fedora in instances where Windows won't recognize filetypes. I'm in Raleigh, PM me if you want some data recovery assistance.

IndyGunFreak
12-16-2010, 14:31
Isn't there software for Ubuntu which runs Windows reliably?

Not really. Your best bet is finding Linux alternatives. Some apps work fine w/ Wine, many do not. Only way to reliably run Windows apps(games excluded) under Linux, is to use Windows as a guest OS in Vbox or Vmware. Unfortunately, Running two OS's, is probably gonna require a bit more juice than most netbooks have.

Personally, if you really need/want Windows Apps, I'd call Gateway back and tell them the recovery CD's they sent you are FUBAR and send me another one.

GIockGuy24
12-20-2010, 12:48
You can run a lot of Windows programs in Linux. A virtual Windows installation may be a bit much for a netbook to handle.

IndyGunFreak
12-20-2010, 12:54
You can run a lot of Windows programs in Linux. A virtual Windows installation may be a bit much for a netbook to handle.

That's really the biggest issue... Wine, is far from perfect. Vbox, works almost flawlessly, but.. I dunno about running it on the average netbook.

IGF

kirklite99
12-20-2010, 23:32
OP's first problem is NOT having a good, known RELIABLE backup of his entire system. New HDD and a simple restore...boom...problem solved with a completely bootable restore. No having to manually install applications, update drivers, etc...

Acronis True Image home and a $99 1.5 TERAbyte external HDD at Costco. CHEAP insurance. Saved my ass many times. If I even THINK I have a virus or some other problem, I just "nuke it from orbit". It does a low level format and will restore ~80gigs in under 2 hours. Just set it and forget it. Simple. Works equally fantastic for replacing dying drives or upgrading to faster/larger ones. :cool: