What ammo for my Sig SBR 10 inch and Colt 6921? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What ammo for my Sig SBR 10 inch and Colt 6921?

alfred10
12-16-2010, 06:45
I have a sig 556 SBR with a 10 inch barrel and a surefire can. What weight bullet will have the best penetration and nock down power within the max accuret range (about 0-200 meters)?

I have a 14.5 inch Colt 6921 that I want to run an ACOG TA01NSN on. What round will run most reliably out to 600 meters and actually kill something at that distance? I also want to run my surefire can on this rifle but I need to get another flashider mount.

What grain should I be looking at? Im pretty sure I need a specific grain for the ACOG.

NeverMore1701
12-16-2010, 07:02
See the Before You Ask Another Question thread, it should cover things nicely.

TimP
12-16-2010, 07:39
:faint:

mjkeat
12-16-2010, 08:43
What a rough crowd lol

TimP
12-16-2010, 10:26
What a rough crowd lol

fine, I will answer his questions nicely.

I have a sig 556 SBR with a 10 inch barrel and a surefire can. What weight bullet will have the best penetration and nock down power within the max accuret range (about 0-200 meters)?

barrel length has little to no effect on accuracy. Realize that it will have an impact on velocity and terminal velocity. I use 75gr Hornady a-max bullets in my short barrel. The bullet will still have amble kinetic energy to transmit to the target, and the ballistic tip will allow some expansion to take place at lower velocities.

I have a 14.5 inch Colt 6921 that I want to run an ACOG TA01NSN on. What round will run most reliably out to 600 meters and actually kill something at that distance? I also want to run my surefire can on this rifle but I need to get another flashider mount.

any 223 round is going to "run reliably" out to 600 meters. At 600, a 55gr fmj will have "around" 250lbft of energy left to transfer to the target. For comparison a 100gr .380acp has approx 200lbft at the muzzle, a 9mm has approx 340lbft at the muzzle, and 40s&w approx 500lbft. So you have a smaller diameter bullet that is half the weight of the .380 with slightly more energy. You tell me sir, if it is going to "drop" someone at 600.......

What grain should I be looking at? Im pretty sure I need a specific grain for the ACOG.
well the ACOG was designed for the military.... I bet that is a good source to base your ammo on. I'm thinking either 55gr fmj or 62gr...

txleapd
12-17-2010, 06:47
See the Before You Ask Another Question thread, it should cover things nicely.

I must be confused... I thought I was on Glock Talk, not one of those other sites where members are talked down on for asking a question.

Or, maybe you got confused about which site your on. :dunno:

K. Foster
12-17-2010, 07:08
What weight bullet will have the best penetration and nock down power within the max accuret range (about 0-200 meters)?
The heaviest bullet your gun can shoot accurately.

[/QUOTE]I have a 14.5 inch Colt 6921 that I want to run an ACOG TA01NSN on. What round will run most reliably out to 600 meters and actually kill something at that distance? I also want to run my surefire can on this rifle but I need to get another flashider mount. [/QUOTE]

The heaviest bullet your gun can shoot accurately.

[/QUOTE]What grain should I be looking at? Im pretty sure I need a specific grain for the ACOG.[/QUOTE]

glock22357
12-17-2010, 07:22
I must be confused... I thought I was on Glock Talk, not one of those other sites where members are talked down on for asking a question.

No, he got his response right.

These are simply silly questions. Killing power at 600M from an AR? Yeah...right.

The O.P. is either planning a killing spree or watching too many zombie/EOTWAWKI movies and playing too much Modern Warfare.
Sounds like it's time to logg-off, meet some friends for a few beers, and reconnect with humanity.

NeverMore1701
12-17-2010, 08:23
No, he got his response right.

These are simply silly questions. Killing power at 600M from an AR? Yeah...right.

The O.P. is either planning a killing spree or watching too many zombie/EOTWAWKI movies and playing too much Modern Warfare.
Sounds like it's time to logg-off, meet some friends for a few beers, and reconnect with humanity.

You guys should see his threads in GNG, they're just as good.

WoodenPlank
12-17-2010, 08:28

The term "good" is highly subjective, especially when it comes to alfred's threads.

NeverMore1701
12-17-2010, 08:58
The term "good" is highly subjective, especially when it comes to alfred's threads.

They make me laugh, which brightens my day, therefore they're "good" :supergrin:

cowboy1964
12-17-2010, 09:33
What are the SEALs using these days?

K. Foster
12-17-2010, 10:26

I’m unfamiliar with his previous writings, can you provide a link, please.
I can see both sides of this. Alfred’s post does remind me of “that” video. But, possibly he is a young fellow without much exposure to firearms and has an awkward way of posing his questions and just wants to learn. I see nothing wrong with helping someone that wants to learn.

Alfred, how about telling us a little about yourself and what you want to do with your rifles. Also, I’d be interested to know what you plan to “kill” at 600 meters.

cyrsequipment
12-17-2010, 10:49
Alfred, how about telling us a little about yourself and what you want to do with your rifles. Also, I’d be interested to know what you plan to “kill” at 600 meters.

Certain questions should never be asked, because they might be answered...

txleapd
12-17-2010, 17:42

Sorry. I'm not familiar with the OP's history, so I don't don't if he's a tool or not. My response was pretty much a reaction to a slight trend I've noticed lately... I've seen some people acting more like they're on arf.com or lightfighter than what is expected here on GT. I responded to a post that I thought was more of the same. I apologize for the confusion.

raven11
12-17-2010, 18:09
Sorry. I'm not familiar with the OP's history, so I don't don't if he's a tool or not. My response was pretty much a reaction to a slight trend I've noticed lately... I've seen some people acting more like they're on arf.com or lightfighter than what is expected here on GT. I responded to a post that I thought was more of the same. I apologize for the confusion.

he has been posting on General Firearms how he CCW a Mk23, what is the best military backpack, does my USMC poncho look right, which should I buy my AA12 or Saiga 12, etc.....

I don't like to talk down to members with a valid question either, but there is only soo much shenanigans a person can take

txleapd
12-17-2010, 18:58
Any rational person would go with the Saiga 12, obviously.... ;)

GAFinch
12-17-2010, 22:06
Alfred, like all of your threads:

:needspics:

K. Foster
12-18-2010, 07:05
Certain questions should never be asked, because they might be answered...

I spent a few minutes reviewing his posting history.
:wow:

I think you have a valid point, sir.

Petrie
12-18-2010, 07:16
I'm sure Alfred10 is F-ing with everyone just to see what kind of responses he'll get. I think it's kind of funny. Whether you take him seriously and answer the questions or make fun of him for being a mall ninja, he wins.

WoodenPlank
12-18-2010, 08:59
They make me laugh, which brightens my day, therefore they're "good" :supergrin:

Fair enough...

glock22357
12-18-2010, 09:20

You ain't kiddin':shocked:

Gunnut 45/454
12-18-2010, 09:28
alfred10
Do us a favor post some of your groups-10 shots from 600 meters then we'll see if you can even hit at that range! Cause a AR with a 14.5" barrel isn't going to nothing but punch a .223" hole at that range! The effective range for proper bullet exspansion /tumle for the AR is 300 meters with a 20" barrel and 55 gr bullet. Heavier and slower bullets decrease this proportional as does the shorter barrl lenght! Your 10" isn't much good past 100 yards! Your 14.5" is best out to 250-275 yards depending on bullet weight! If you want to reliably drop people at 600 meters step up to atleast 308 or larger caliber!:whistling: But then again if your shooting at folks at that distance you better be in a war zone or your going to jail!:steamed:

Glockdude1
12-18-2010, 09:32
Alfred10 rarely comes back to any thread he starts.

He never, posts any pics of any weapons he claims to own.

:cool:

MrMurphy
12-18-2010, 13:41
Thus why i respond to him the way I do. And several of his threads have been locked or deleted for blatant asshattery before they got this far.

He is an oxygen thief and most of his threads here or anywhere else I moderate are locked accordingly if they tend towards his usual mode.

alfred10
12-18-2010, 15:31
I'm sure Alfred10 is F-ing with everyone just to see what kind of responses he'll get. I think it's kind of funny. Whether you take him seriously and answer the questions or make fun of him for being a mall ninja, he wins.

I thought the question was valid?

glock22357
12-18-2010, 15:37

Why?

Tell us why you are asking these questions.

You evidently have a bad reputation, and it seems people are no longer giving you the benefit of the doubt. If you want help here, you need to explain why you think you need killing power out of a 14.5" AR out to 600 yards.

K. Foster
12-18-2010, 16:02

Your questions are all over the map. You bounce from one subject to another like a ping pong ball. This is your chance to gain some validity and acceptance. Tell us a little about yourself and what you want to kill at 600 M.