S&W .44 mag lock or pre lock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W .44 mag lock or pre lock?

bklynpete
12-16-2010, 14:03
Here in NM we have to requalify every two years for our CCW permit. You also have to quaify with the largest semi and revolver you want to carry. So I qualify with a .44 mag revolver. Last year, two of my shots went out of the hit zone with a borrowed Taurus. The double action trigger was the culprit. I shot the rest of the time single action and no problems putting all the rounds in a nice tight group. September 2011, I have to do it all over again, so now I want to buy a S&W 29/629. I started to look for a 629 classic and all the ones I have seen here used, pre lock, are in the $900 or higher range. I can buy a new one from Buds around $750 - $775.
The question is, has anyone had a problem with the new Hillery hole version .44 mag? If this pistol is rarely shot and will not be used for self defense, will it matter. The only reason I can justify buying the used pre lock, is that it will go up in value as the years go by (great for my kids) and I don't have to worry that the gun will fail during my qualifying. All of you new 29/629 owners let me know how you like the new Smith's.

Careby
12-16-2010, 14:10
I have a 629 (and several other models) with the lock and it hasn't given me any problems. You'd have to have some pretty bad luck for it to fail during your qualification. Some here have had problems with the locks, and many more feel they are a problem waiting to happen. I don't worry about it.

bklynpete
12-17-2010, 13:08
Thanks for the reply careby. By the silence, it seems like a problem that doesn't exist. Has no one ever had a failure because of the new lock???

Pete

bac1023
12-20-2010, 12:13
Besides a potential functional problem, the lock is hideous to look at.

I also hate the idea behind it and the reason S&W did it. I'll never buy another locked Smith.

JK-linux
12-20-2010, 12:22
I'm anti-lock, though admittedly I've not had issue with it. I own a J-Frame with a lock and it was disabled and removed 20 minutes after getting it home. I keep it only because the market for selling used J-Frames with a lock stinks right now. I will ditch it at a loss the first chance I get and would not buy a new or used one. Regardless of whether issues still exist, the perception is that they are undesirable and thus it will likely be tough to get rid of if you ever choose to. If based on your history of firearms ownership you feel you will keep your 629 forever, then that really isn't an issue.

Zombie Steve
12-20-2010, 15:19
I have a few that had locks. I don't like them, but it's not going to stop me from getting a gun that I want. If you're worried about it, you can remove the damn thing in about 10minutes.

bklynpete
12-20-2010, 17:56
I guess if I can find one without a lock at a reasonable price, then I'd go for it in a minute. It's a long way to September, thanks for the responses.

bac1023
12-20-2010, 20:47
629 Classic :cool:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/006-2.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/009.jpg

bklynpete
12-21-2010, 12:42
And I can have it for $600 + shipping Bac, or are you just tormenting me :dunno:

629 Classic :cool:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/006-2.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/009.jpg

desertdisciple
12-22-2010, 12:11
Though the topic has undoubtedly, been put to rest...or beat to death... Like many folk, I like my opinion. :whistling:

*For use, as described in OP, it's probably immaterial...
But I'd go for budget-friendly*
While I prefer Pre-lock, I still have a couple that have the Clinton junk, but doubt I will modify them or replace the revolvers with older equivalents).

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd22/desertdisciple/DSCN0458.jpg

Have "heard of issues", but still feel the probability, is low.

(Similar to problems with automobile air bags, which had issues with functionality or causing injury/death---I still haven't replaced my vehicles, with Pre-airbag
*Although... I do have completely random thoughts:
"If I leave my house, would I increase my likelihood of getting hit by a meteorite?" -- I'm just sayin'...its possible.*

Careby
12-22-2010, 12:21

Nice. I prefer the half-lug barrel versions of the 29/629. My 629 is a 6" half-lug with lock. The only thing I like better about the full lug model is that it has interchangeable front sights.

PlasticGuy
12-28-2010, 15:40
There have been many documented failures. It is prevalent enough that Massad Ayoob wrote an article about some specific events in which S&W internal locks failed and locked up guns. You can go to the S&W forum and see a few threads with long lists of members who have had them fail. I have also personally seen two guns from other manufacturers with failed internal locks, though I have not seen an S&W lock up on its own yet.

In short, I've never been struck by lightning, but I'm not planning to start golfing in thunder storms. Just sayin'...

desertdisciple
12-28-2010, 19:59
There have been many documented failures. It is prevalent enough that Massad Ayoob wrote an article about some specific events in which S&W internal locks failed and locked up guns. You can go to the S&W forum and see a few threads with long lists of members who have had them fail. I have also personally seen two guns from other manufacturers with failed internal locks, though I have not seen an S&W lock up on its own yet.

In short, I've never been struck by lightning, but I'm not planning to start golfing in thunder storms. Just sayin'...

PG...
As I'm by no means any type of expert, I don't discount/disagree what you're saying. (Have even read Massad's & other articles)
Please don't think I'm being argumentative, for me it's just a non-issue. *Admittedly, this is mainly because I'm pretty much G-23, 24/7*
I suppose if I had a revolver, that I loved so much that I just had to carry it all the time...I'd likely buy the plug kit and remove the little lock.
As it is, the couple that I do own, have never had the key put into the locks.

Certainly, if I had my choice, I would buy without the lock...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, GT-ers!!!
:dancingbanana:

bac1023
12-28-2010, 21:37
And I can have it for $600 + shipping Bac, or are you just tormenting me :dunno:

Just giving you ideas. :)

I haven't sold a gun in many years and that's one of my favorite revolvers. :supergrin:

bklynpete
12-29-2010, 11:05
I'm just having some fun with you bac. I do want a 629 Classic though. Just like Goldylocks, 4" too short, 6" too long, 5" just right. Hmmm, after typing this, doesn't sound right:whistling:
Pete

Just giving you ideas. :)

I haven't sold a gun in many years and that's one of my favorite revolvers. :supergrin:

bklynpete
01-19-2011, 16:23
Well, the issue was solved today. I stopped by my local shop and found a Ruger Redhawk, stainless w/ 5 1/2" barrel. The gun is super clean, the barrel doesn't look like it was shot much, and the trigger is smooth and light. The really great news is I got it for $545. I was figuring if I could find a 629 Classic going for $800 or so, I would do well. Most of the ones I've seen were in the $900 range. It also has a red front sight and adj white outline target rear sights on it. Pachmayer (sp?) grips. I don't have to do anything else to it :cool:.

pennlineman
01-19-2011, 19:39
Congrats! Those Redhawks are nice guns. I have a blued one with a 7.5" BBL that shoots very well. Whan it comes to 44's it's hard to beat either the S&W or Ruger. Enjoy!

bklynpete
01-19-2011, 20:09
Thanks, I just never expected a Ruger to have such a nice trigger.

Congrats! Those Redhawks are nice guns. I have a blued one with a 7.5" BBL that shoots very well. Whan it comes to 44's it's hard to beat either the S&W or Ruger. Enjoy!

phonejack
01-19-2011, 20:37
2 of my 4 smiths have the lock. never an issue for me.

Zombie Steve
01-19-2011, 23:23

That's nice iron, amigo...

:thumbsup: