POI with shotgun ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : POI with shotgun ammo

aippi
12-16-2010, 20:39
I have had two incidents over the years where 870 police barrels were returned with both guys saying the rear sight was all the way down and they were still high with slugs. And the buckshot group POI was way lower then the slugs.

I repositioned the read sight and hit the range. I was using just plain *** 00 buck and Remington sluggers. No issue, both POI pretty much the same and the slugs were dead on at 25 yards. I found out both were using their Department required ammo and it was the new slugs with tactical wadding and the buckshot was Tactical low recoil stuff. I don't remember the brands.

My question is how may people have found this issue where the POI of the center of the buckshot pattern is much lower then the POI of slugs and is it only with that type of ammo.

I don't want to take anymore perfect barrels back. I was able to resolve the issue on one by installing a higher front sight and the guy was satisfied as he used mostly slugs. Having an idea from you guys what some of the issues you have found with various brands can save me the cost and hassle of having to go buy this stuff and shoot it. I can benefit from your experience with this stuff.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

WoodenPlank
12-16-2010, 22:31
I have had two incidents over the years where 870 police barrels were returned with both guys saying the rear sight was all the way down and they were still high with slugs. And the buckshot group POI was way lower then the slugs.

I repositioned the read sight and hit the range. I was using just plain *** 00 buck and Remington sluggers. No issue, both POI pretty much the same and the slugs were dead on at 25 yards. I found out both were using their Department required ammo and it was the new slugs with tactical wadding and the buckshot was Tactical low recoil stuff. I don't remember the brands.

My question is how may people have found this issue where the POI of the center of the buckshot pattern is much lower then the POI of slugs and is it only with that type of ammo.

I don't want to take anymore perfect barrels back. I was able to resolve the issue on one by installing a higher front sight and the guy was satisfied as he used mostly slugs. Having an idea from you guys what some of the issues you have found with various brands can save me the cost and hassle of having to go buy this stuff and shoot it. I can benefit from your experience with this stuff.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I have actually had this exact issue with my Mossberg 590. I have run a few slugs as far out as 150 yards, and it hits WAY high at those distances. I was holding about two to four feet LOW to ring the 16" plate. Even close up, slugs hit higher than buck shot - the shot is dead on, but slugs seem to climb over distance.
Winchester Super X 1oz slugs, Remington LE Reduced Recoil 00, and various S&B buckshot loads, and Federal bulk target load bird shot. Only the slugs run high.

Ferdinandd
12-16-2010, 22:52
I have the same issue with my 870 Tactical, which has a tiny little ghost ring mounted on the top/rear of the receiver, and a rifle sight out on the barrel (18.5 in). It shoots 10 inches high with slugs at 25 yards and hits pretty close to poa with bk at the same range. Since this barrel accepts screw-in chokes, I've shot clays with it and it's OK, so it must be pretty close to POA with 8 shot also.

aippi
12-16-2010, 23:03
Are those the tactical wadding type slugs or regular slugs? You are describing the exact same issue these two guys had.

WoodenPlank
12-16-2010, 23:16
Are those the tactical wadding type slugs or regular slugs? You are describing the exact same issue these two guys had.

Honestly, I am unsure of the difference. The slugs I use are the standard, Winchester Super X, 2 3/4in 1oz lead rifled slugs. I get them at Wal-Mart all day long. If you can tell me what I am looking for, I would gladly cut open one and take a look at whatever wadding is in it.

aippi
12-17-2010, 04:27
They would say tactical or flight control or something. I have no idea what they look like. Like I said, I use just regular A** buck shot and Remington Slugs. I have never tried other ammo nor seen a need to for what I do with a shotgun. I understand the new ammo out there has some great performance but if there is conflict between the point of impact when going from slugs to buck shot I want to learn which ammo is the worst about this.

WoodenPlank
12-17-2010, 04:32
They would say tactical or flight control or something. I have no idea what they look like. Like I said, I use just regular A** buck shot and Remington Slugs. I have never tried other ammo nor seen a need to for what I do with a shotgun. I understand the new ammo out there has some great performance but if there is conflict between the point of impact when going from slugs to buck shot I want to learn which ammo is the worst about this.

Then I am going to bet that the slugs I am using are not. Even without some funky wad, they still shoot high...

GoBow
12-17-2010, 07:03
I have actually had this exact issue with my Mossberg 590. I have run a few slugs as far out as 150 yards, and it hits WAY high at those distances. I was holding about two to four feet LOW to ring the 16" plate.

WP, After reading this post and then seeing your post about your 590 w/bead sight, I'm wondering if maybe you're ricocheting the slugs onto the plate at 150 yds. Just a thought...

WoodenPlank
12-17-2010, 09:00
WP, After reading this post and then seeing your post about your 590 w/bead sight, I'm wondering if maybe you're ricocheting the slugs onto the plate at 150 yds. Just a thought...

With the layout of the range, I don't see it happening - there are multiple berms between the firing line and the 150 yard berm, due to a shallow valley in between. Plus I had a spotter watching POI to verify where the shots were going. To top it all off, the slugs hit several inches high at 25 yards as it is. I would have thought they would have dropped at some point after that, but they do not seem to. Is it possible? I assume anything is, but I really doubt it.

Edit to add: Also, I was ringing the plate far too consistently for them to be skipping or ricocheting into the plate. I would think such hits would be wholly inconsistent.

As for the GR sights, it is purely related to shooting up close while moving laterally to the target. I could correct it with training if I had more regular access to a range where I could practice it. Unfortunately, I do not. My desire to mount GR sights has nothing to do with accuracy on the shotgun while firing from a stationary position.

Edit AGAIN: Aippi, I am planning to be on the local range this Sunday. I will take the 12ga, a selection of ammo, and a camera with me, and try to do a little more research into this.

WoodenPlank
12-18-2010, 09:49
I am headed to the range tomorrow, and I will be taking a selection of 12ga ammo with me, including mixed buckshot, bird shot, and the Super X slugs I use. I will do some pattern testing on all of it, and check POA/POI with them, as well as (yet again) check the POA/POI on those slugs at 100 and 150 yards. I will get some photos, as well.