Mossberg 500 control [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 control

Sparkster
12-17-2010, 08:03
New GT member here :wavey:

Having been shot on duty recently and on a long road of recovery, I had my wife pick me up a Mossberg 500 to keep next to the couch for when I get home (I get out Monday after two months in the hospital). I won't be able to get out and practice with it any time soon so I'm just wondering from those who have shot them, how bad is the recoil on this pistol grip shotty? I'm not really worried about being able to control it myself- just wondering what to expect and would also like to get my wife to shoot it eventually.
I initially thought about loading every other round with 00 and slug but I may skip the slugs and load it all with 00.

Hedo1
12-17-2010, 08:17
Pistol Grip shotguns are notoriously hard recoiling weapons. I'd go with a low recoil load if I was you. They are best fired while braced against your body in my opinion.

Flinger
12-17-2010, 08:23
Welcome to the forum and wishing you a speedy recovery.
I also have a Mossbeg 500 with pistol grip and 18.5 inch barrel. I haven’t shot in a couple of years but what I remember was that it was not that uncomfortable shooting it. Being 6’ and 190 lbs might give me some advantage. In comparison, the friend I was shooting with (155 lbs and 5’8”) did not enjoy the experience.
BTW, I just rely on 00 buck.

ATL_GLOCK
12-17-2010, 08:54
put a knoxx spec ops stock on it nd some low recoil rounds and you'll feel like your shooting an ar15

WoodenPlank
12-17-2010, 09:04
put a knoxx spec ops stock on it nd some low recoil rounds and you'll feel like your shooting an ar15

Agreed with ATL. The Knoxx BreachersGrip I used to use on my 590 was amazing at killing the recoil. Even with high velocity Super X slugs, that 590 can even be fired one handed. Not something I suggest AT ALL, but it could be done. The recoil reducing stock is much the same, as well.

Sparkster
12-17-2010, 14:04
I found a video on youtube of the knoxx spec ops stock in action on this gun and it looks nice- I'll consider that one. The main reason I got a pistol grip though is because our place is pretty small and I wanted as short of a scattergun as I could have so it wouldn't be unwieldly.

Victoriagotagun
12-18-2010, 03:09
Try a Hogue 12" LOP stock...you will be surprised how compact it will make the shotgun compared to a factory LOP stock.

unit1069
12-18-2010, 10:10
Pistol Grip shotguns are notoriously hard recoiling weapons. I'd go with a low recoil load if I was you. They are best fired while braced against your body in my opinion.

That's also my opinion. My Mossberg Maverick 88 pistol grip sat on the shelf for 16 years because it just wasn't practical, until I put a Knoxx Reduced Recoil adjustable stock on it this summer. Now I can shoot full power buckshot and slugs all day long without suffering any soreness. And accuracy, follow-up, and control are all so much better.

G23c
12-18-2010, 10:51
try the Winchester low recoil loads (00 and slugs), they work great with the PG. welcome to the forum, and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Aceman
12-18-2010, 15:01
I am 6'2" and at least 235 lbs. I shoot fairly often / all my life. I have practiced kung fu for 20 years and have punched thing way harder than the recoil from the pistol grip SG.

I say get a stock.

And where on earth do people get the dumb @$$ buck/slug alternating load idea from?

mixflip
12-18-2010, 15:15
Welcome to GT.

Just make sure your wife learns how to shoot better than this girl with a pistol grip shotgun loaded with 00-buck.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2dc_1285353666

Get well soon...

larry_minn
02-19-2011, 12:37
Might I suggest a 20 guage? Slightly less recoil. Yrs ago I fired a Moss 12 guage with a metal overfold stock. Not exactly comfortable (and that was with birdshot) Then again I was 17. For what you are talking... There is a AR style 6 position stock for shotguns. So its only @ half as long retracted as full stock but if time allowes you can extend it/have recoil pad. I bought a case of reduced recoil so wife can easily handle my 12 guages. (if I had to do it over again I likly would have gone with quality semi auto shotguns) The action reduces recoil and you don't have to worry about short stroking with new shooters.
Thing is when I bought them semi auto shotguns were tempermental (at least considered such) Hope you heal quickly and continue.