A Big Uh, oh Last Night [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A Big Uh, oh Last Night

ColCol
12-17-2010, 19:58
I started not to admit this but thought new comers to reloading could take note some well earned advice. Mistakes are always lurking when reloading no matter how long you've been at it and being vigilant and not distracted is key words to live by.

I almost made the worse mistake I've made last while finishing loading some 45 ACP ammo for the range today. I had sized, primed charged and seated the 230 gr Hornady FMJ's and was starting to get ready to crimp(yep, I do it separately) when I discovered I had used the wrong powder!!

My sister had called right about the time I was reaching for what I thought was a pound of Universal Clays and took it over to the reloading bench and while still talking(a no-no) I dumped some in the powder hopper and got off the pone with her.

I began to set up the charge weight, 6.2 gr of what I though was U. Clays and proceeded to charge 50 cases. I nearly started the crimp process when I noticed the powder sitting on the bench was not U. Clays but HS-6!! At 6.2 gr, that's not even a starting load for HS-6 so, I would of have at least a very weak load that wouldn't cycle(perhaps) the slide and could have ran into other problems.

Now I'm faced with taking all those rounds to the range for disposal or attempting to pull the bullets which I indeed tried to no avail. I have a RCBS Bullet puller than looks like a die with a collet and handle at the top. Going by directions I still had as this is an oldie boughgt many years ago, I couldnt get it to pull the bullets. So, I may have to bite the bullet(nmo pun intended) and take them somewhere to dispose of. It pahys to stop what you're doing if distracted at all and then re-access where you were and double check.

Not too bad for a first mistake in 40 years of reloading but still not acceptable.

GioaJack
12-17-2010, 20:05
Go out in the garage and grab a piece of 4X4. Stand it on end and whack it with the kinetic puller like you'd hit a teenager you caught fooling around with your daughter.

.45's are very easy to pull... apparently you were hitting it like a wussie flatlander.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
12-17-2010, 20:06
Eh, could've been a lot worse...

Heed Jacks words of wisdom in my Sig.. :)

Glad you caught it.

ColCol
12-17-2010, 20:20
It's not one of them inertial pullers, Jack. it looks like this...
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3789.jpg

I turned that handle tight as I could, went on the upstroke of the ram on my press and got nothing.

unclebob
12-17-2010, 20:28
I think I would go ahead and remove the bell on about 5 rounds and take them to the range and see if they well work. You might have to feed them one at a time. Or get a kinetic bullet puller.

GioaJack
12-17-2010, 20:33
It's not one of them inertial pullers, Jack. it looks like this...
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3789.jpg

I turned that handle tight as I could, went on the upstroke of the ram on my press and got nothing.

I stand corrected good sir, my apologies. Either buy a kinetic puller for fifteen bucks or take up curling. There are no other options.

Bummer at the holidays, huh?

Jack

labdwakin
12-17-2010, 20:53
Ahem... IMHO... get the kinetic puller and... HIT IT WITH YER FREAKIN PURSE, ALICE!!! LOL

Colorado4Wheel
12-17-2010, 20:56
I have thought about getting that type of puller. I don't know how they work with Lead. My lead bullets are very hard to get out of the cases. I think it's a size issue between the bullets being bigger then FMJ.

ColCol
12-17-2010, 21:02
Bummer at the holidays, huh?

Jack

Yeah, it sort of sucks really. I'm giving thought to doing as unclebob suggest...just shoot the blasted thing!

GioaJack
12-17-2010, 21:26
Almost every gun shop stocks a puller... can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.

Tomorrow is only Saturday.

Jack

AA#5
12-17-2010, 21:28
Thanks for the warning. I've learned long before I turned 57 last year to NEVER do two things at the same time when one of those things requires complete attention because of the possible consequences of a mistake.....like handloading.

Luckily, you only had ONE powder container on the bench. I'm surprised at how many handloaders have several cans on the bench while they're loading.

AA#5
12-17-2010, 21:29
I have thought about getting that type of puller. I don't know how they work with Lead. My lead bullets are very hard to get out of the cases. I think it's a size issue between the bullets being bigger then FMJ.

Inertia pullers work great with ANY bullet regardless of how tightly they're crimped.

Jerry
12-17-2010, 22:17
Bought several powders, bullets and other reloading supplies. Asked for IMR 4198 for my 45/70. A few days later I decided to load some 45/70. Grabbed the 4198 and started loading. After I had loaded, i.e. primed, charged, seated bullets and crimped I noticed it wasn’t IMR 4198 but rather Hodgdon 4198. :wow: Called the guy I bought it from. He said… SAME THING! :upeyes: Close but no cigar! :steamed: Luckily the load I used was within acceptable limits and I shot it. I learned to check and double check!

ColCol
12-18-2010, 08:59
I asked the guys at the gunshop/range I go to if they could pull them and he said not in the quantity I had. Apparently they can only handle one or two cartridges.:upeyes:

Thanks for the warning. I've learned long before I turned 57 last year to NEVER do two things at the same time when one of those things requires complete attention because of the possible consequences of a mistake.....like handloading.

When kit comes to multi-tasking I have to admit we "fellers" just don't hold a candle to women, I have to admit that...I've seen them work. Can I get an amen from Jack? We've both had enough of them to realize just how good they can be in that area.:supergrin:

I've never tried a kinetic/inertia puller before. the only kind I've seen other than the one I have is the kind you have to rap sharply to get the bullet out. I don't' have a warm, fuzzy feeling about doing that with a primed and charged case.

Yep, Jerry, there is a difference in IMR vs Hodgdon and I don't know why they didn't call it something else or one of them get a patent on 4198 so the other couldn't make it and confuse reloaders. I think the same holds true for 4831.

GioaJack
12-18-2010, 09:06
A kinetic/inertia puller IS the kind you whack... hard. Looks like a plastic hammer, something your kids would use to bang into the side of your aquarium of big screen TV.

Spend the few bucks and get one... this isn't the last time you're going to need it. It's a lot, lot safer than handing a woman a credit card and telling her to have fun.

Relieves stress too... WHACK, WHACK, WHACK, WHACK, WHACK! There, don't ya feel better now?

Jack

ColCol
12-18-2010, 09:18
I just saw one of those in use on YouTube. Man, that looks a bit dangerous with a live cartridge. I don't know...may just shoot them. Even the guy that did the video said he was nervous about doing it. Looked like a 223 primed and ready to go but the device did an admirable job of pulling the bullet. I don't know if it was of any use to reload again which was the only reason I wanted to pull them in the first place. I've never had the need to do this but once may moons ago and it wasn't 50 of them.

My last ex-wife had no less than twenty different credit cards. Everything from Prophets and Dillard's to Sears and Shell. She had to use one to pay on the other ones. I've seen her by a couple two liter Cokes and use a card for that! That was a dangerous woman. She was going to use a card to pay a guy to have me snuffed but he would only work for cash.

GioaJack
12-18-2010, 09:29
There's nothing dangerous about a kinetic bullet puller. A projectile needs some sort of a pressure barrel to obtain any velocity... the puller doesn't provide that.

I've used one for damn near 50 years and have never even heard of an accident other than someone whacking the end on metal and pieces of the plastic shattering. The best procedure is to whack it on the end grain of a piece of 4X4 or something similar.

To protect the tip of the projectile simply drop one of those foam ear plugs in the puller or a cotton ball or pull off the ends of a few Q-Tips if you're not worried about saving every grain of the powder.

Now stop arguing with us and just go buy the damn thing.

Jack

ColCol
12-18-2010, 10:12
Sir,Yes, Sir!!:drillsgt:

:supergrin:

shotgunred
12-18-2010, 10:19
I just saw one of those in use on YouTube. Man, that looks a bit dangerous with a live cartridge. I don't know...may just shoot them. Even the guy that did the video said he was nervous about doing it. Looked like a 223 primed and ready to go but the device did an admirable job of pulling the bullet. I don't know if it was of any use to reload again which was the only reason I wanted to pull them in the first place. I've never had the need to do this but once may moons ago and it wasn't 50 of them.

My last ex-wife had no less than twenty different credit cards. Everything from Prophets and Dillard's to Sears and Shell. She had to use one to pay on the other ones. I've seen her by a couple two liter Cokes and use a card for that! That was a dangerous woman. She was going to use a card to pay a guy to have me snuffed but he would only work for cash.

I had someone give me 3k of his own reloads. He had just blew up his SW pistol. So I have had a lot of experience with a kinetic hammer. Just put the round in and it on a hard surface once or twice. there is nothing to be nervous about. there is nothing that can come into contact with the primer.
If you want I will make a video today.

GioaJack
12-18-2010, 10:43
Uh oh, Shotgun knows how to make videos... wonder what kind he has hidden in his sock drawer?

Bet this ain't the only forum he subscribes to. :whistling:

Jack

ColCol
12-18-2010, 10:44
If you want I will make a video today.

Appreciate that but I'd rather you make a video of the range you go to if it's like your avatar.:supergrin:

unclebob
12-18-2010, 10:46
I would hate to think on how many rounds I have pulled using a kinetic bullet puller. Another trick is to use a single stage shell holder if the primer is seated right instead of the 3 jaw holder the puller comes with. 10 times faster and easier.

shotgunred
12-18-2010, 11:06
Appreciate that but I'd rather you make a video of the range you go to if it's like your avatar.:supergrin:

Atlas no it isn't.

Glock XIX
12-18-2010, 11:56
I have one of these, never met a bullet a I couldn't pull.
You also need the correct collet size to go with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=851547

fredj338
12-18-2010, 12:00

Yeah, they are not at their best w/ lead bullet, especially RN type. Kinetic works for me, but then I try to not have to pull too many apart.:homer:

ColCol
12-18-2010, 12:06
I have one of these, never met a bullet a I couldn't pull.
You also need the correct collet size to go with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=851547

That looks similar to the RCBS one I have. the instructions say to run it into the press "a few threads" and then with the upstroke of the ram with cartridge in shell holder, turn handle down till it engages bullet, tighten and reverse stroke. Well, it didn't grab a thing and no bullet was produced. something wrong with the instructions, I think.

Uncle Don
12-18-2010, 12:13

Not very well - they are great for jacketed bullets, but imo, the knetic ones are the best for lead. My reasoning though is that the collets deform lead bullets (for the reason you suggest) and defeat the purpose of being able to use them again. However, some people consider bullets collatoral damage regardless.