virtualization questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : virtualization questions

GenX
12-18-2010, 16:17
If the host os (win7) is 64 bit, does the guest os need to be as well? If yes, then would VMware player be the best choice or is virtualbox still a viable option? I would be installing ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10.

Machine is an xps15 laptop.

Pierre!
12-18-2010, 16:41
GenX - Virtualbox will take care of you no problem.

I have a X64 desktop that I have several guests on - all X86/32Bit systems - Linux, XP - No issues at all.

I know VMWare is cool stuff, but Virtualbox has been less hassel, and I don't need a Key to get it running.

So you are 'Clear To Install' - Now Get Busy! :cool:

HTH

GenX
12-18-2010, 17:25
When I go to install ubuntu in vbox, do I need to specify partitions or erase and use entire disk?

I got it, found a youtube vid.

Sgt. Schultz
12-18-2010, 19:26
If the host os (win7) is 64 bit, does the guest os need to be as well? No it doesn't have to be 64 bit.

You can also use M$ Windows 7 Virtual PC ...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

... or the older Virtual PC 2007,

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/virtual-pc-2007.aspx

Pierre!
12-18-2010, 19:48
So is the MS Virtual available on the Home version???

My understanding is that licensing only gave that function to the Pro and Ultimate versions. Then again, I haven't been checking in at my MS Partner page in a while...

Sgt. Schultz
12-18-2010, 20:00
So is the MS Virtual available on the Home version???

My understanding is that licensing only gave that function to the Pro and Ultimate versions. Then again, I haven't been checking in at my MS Partner page in a while...
Yes it will run on the Home versions, Windows XP mode is only available in Enterprise, Professional and Ultimate.

Pierre!
12-18-2010, 20:31
Excellent.

So, it does require the extra XP Pro license if a Home Premium user decides they want XP Pro back for some apps... but it can be done.

Okay, I am older and wiser thanks to your help Sgt. Schultz!

Merry Christmass To All

Sgt. Schultz
12-18-2010, 21:49
Excellent.

So, it does require the extra XP Pro license if a Home Premium user decides they want XP Pro back for some apps... but it can be done.

Okay, I am older and wiser thanks to your help Sgt. Schultz!

Merry Christmas To All

Yes Windows Virtual PC does require a license for the installed OS.

Windows XP Mode (Enterprise, Pro & Ultimate only ) includes a licensed copy of Windows XP pro sp3 ... free. Once installed it allows applications installed and running within the virtualized environment to appear as if running directly on the host.You can run an application installed in a XP mode virtual machine directly from the Start menu of the host operating system.

I'm using a virtual machine right now, it's the safest way that I know of to surf the web.

GenX
12-19-2010, 09:01
That was easy enough, with a little direction. What makes a virtual machine safer for surfing the web?

IndyGunFreak
12-19-2010, 09:04
That was easy enough, with a little direction. What makes a virtual machine safer for surfing the web?

Any viruses, etc.. cannot infect the Host OS.... (obviously, the Guest is still at risk). If you back up your "virgin" install to another source... if the Guest gets a virus.. you simply delete it, and reload from your backup.

Personally, I use my Guest XP for so little(sync a Zune and a Sansa clip).... it's not worth it to me to even update XP. I turn auto updates off, no antivirus, no spyware, etc.. but I do nothing on it but sync those media players, then I shut it down.

I've got my Music/Video/etc. folders set up to share between my "Host" Debian OS and my "Guest" XP... and just sync from the shared folders on the Guest XP. That allows me to keep the XP virtual drive, around 5gigs, and it works great.

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
12-19-2010, 11:54

Any viruses, etc.. cannot infect the Host OS.... (obviously, the Guest is still at risk). If you back up your "virgin" install to another source... if the Guest gets a virus.. you simply delete it, and reload from your backup.

That it exactly ... I setup a "vanilla" machine, the OS with all the latest updates and patches and save it to my VM originals folder (I have machines in every OS saved). Then when needed I simply delete the bad machine and copy another over to my virtual machines folder, launch it and load any needed programs.

I have one that's strictly for surfing the web, another for testing new software, others for trouble shooting clients problems etc ...

GenX
12-24-2010, 07:30
Will wireless auditing tools still work in a vbox ubuntu install?

IndyGunFreak
12-24-2010, 08:15
Will wireless auditing tools still work in a vbox ubuntu install?

I have tried this, and haven't gotten anywhere with it.

GenX
12-26-2010, 13:12
I'm assuming it doesn't work because the guest os is using the host wifi setup and not configurable within the guest os.