question need help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : question need help

gumdokid
12-18-2010, 21:10
what is the best fishing line for multi purpose. doing a lot of steel head fishing right now. the in the warmer months i fish for bass, cat fish and some lake fishing. any help is much appreciated.

sourdough44
12-19-2010, 05:01
In general I try to use the lightest & thinnest line that will work. For light panfish I'm at 4 lbs usually, lighter yet would work. How about something in the 12 lb range? or even a little less? The steelhead with the current & all could be the most difficult. In calm water with the line in good shape(not all nicked up) & using the proper techniques one can 'play' the fish to get it in. I am a believer that thin 'invisible' line leads to more strikes.

noway
12-19-2010, 09:18
You line has to match your game ( the fish ) and the rod ( UL, Lite, heavy,etc...) and lastly the lure.

I use 4lb for panfish with my ultralight but 6-8lb with my carbon rods for hunting bass and peacocks. I haven't found one line or rod that's good for ALL fishes. Since fishes are picky about tenstion, weight and assortment of other issues.

ctaggart
12-19-2010, 17:15
If you're fishing for steelhead up in the Erie tributaries you may want to tie on a fleurocarbon leader. The steelhead are pretty spooky and won't go near thicker lines that they can see. Try 4lb fleurocarbon for the steelies. Here's a link for the fishing reports. Here's a link to a good website for fishing conditions at Erie.

http://www.fisherie.com/Reports.asp

Have you thought about buying a couple spools for your reel and just putting some different lines on them?

EL COLONEL
12-19-2010, 19:21
Berkleys big game 20 lb line, I really like this line