Hard chrome question ?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hard chrome question ??

gearys 5600
12-18-2010, 23:31
I am thinking of ordering a new wilson CQB, wilson combat shows hardchrome as an option on the website. Does wilson do the hardchrome in house or ship it out ? Has anyone had a hardchromed wilson and what was the quality of the finish? Thanks

Rinspeed
12-19-2010, 06:40
I'm quite sure they don't do the chrome in house but with enough digging I would think you could find out who is doing it for them.

drc767
12-19-2010, 06:45
I don't believe Wilson offers Hardchrome. If they have recently changed and do offer it now, it most certainly is not done in house.....but it would be done in Berryville, I would assume.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-19-2010, 08:09
I do not believe any of the manufacturers do it in house. It takes a lot of specialized work and chemicals. I believe all of them ship their stuff out for hard chroming.

ajgranda
12-19-2010, 08:50
I do not see HC listed anywhere on their website.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-19-2010, 09:11
I have seen hard chromed Wilsons before...

It is listed here:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index_options.asp

MADBMW
12-19-2010, 09:53
I know they do offer it as an option, and I am fairly sure it is not done in house. I will bet BAC knows who does it though.

Rinspeed
12-19-2010, 10:10
I found this on another forum, doesn't exactly prove Wilson uses Metaloy but I think it's a safe bet.

Cris Peters has just bought and is now operating Metaloy.

His number is 870-423-4225.

I found this out yesterday when I lucked out finding a all black, Wilson 9mm CQB.

If you're not aware of who Cris is, he was the head of Wilsons finishing department and is a great guy. The story I got was that the owner operator of Metaloy was just tired of the buss. and wanted out. He sold the plant and all equipment to Chris.

I have no connection to anyone at Wilson's or to Chris. As a mater of fact, while I own two HC firearms, I've never had one done myslef. The two I have are a Wilson Super Grade and a RTB import P7M8. The Wilson was probably done by Metaloy and the P7M8 was done in West Germany. Both are great.

The funny thing is that neither Wilson or Metaloy are in Berryville proper, both are several miles away, but have Berryville addresses.

Just for everyones information.. I think that the turnaround time at Metaloy will be quicker now. Chris is also offering all the other traditional finishes.

drc767
12-19-2010, 10:23
I have seen hard chromed Wilsons before...

It is listed here:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index_options.asp

I am a Master Dealer for Wilson and to the best of my knowledge, they do not offer Hardchrome as an optional finish anymore. If they were to offer it, my guess is that it would go down the road to Chris at Metaloy. I have a HC Wilson, but sent it to Chris after I got it from Wilson finished in Armor-Tuff.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/HCTactElite005.jpg

MD357
12-19-2010, 10:23
Somebody did it for them at one point becaue I've seen a few around and here's a recent one...
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=276417&highlight=Hard+Chrome

Can't believe that guy carries and shoots that thing.....it'll rust upon contact with air. :whistling:

However, Wilson said recently they aren't offering it right now?

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=287464&highlight=Hard+Chrome

gearys 5600
12-19-2010, 10:44
Thanks for the info guys. Geary

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-19-2010, 11:10
As stated above, none of the builders do hard chrome in house. Just like you can send a gun to Springfield for NP3 or Black T, you can send it off to them for hard chrome - All THEY do is send it straight to the refinisher themselves.

Same with new guns. Springfield did not plate my custom springer in house. Nighthawk does not do their hard chroming in their place of business, etc...

drc767
12-19-2010, 11:26
As stated above, none of the builders do hard chrome in house. Just like you can send a gun to Springfield for NP3 or Black T, you can send it off to them for hard chrome - All THEY do is send it straight to the refinisher themselves.

Same with new guns. Springfield did not plate my custom springer in house. Nighthawk does not do their hard chroming in their place of business, etc...

It is much easier to send it direct to the refinisher.....It will also save you quite a bit of money.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-19-2010, 12:04
It is much easier to send it direct to the refinisher.....It will also save you quite a bit of money.

Yes - the only issue is that you are covered for warranty issues if you go thru the manufacturer - but generally, I agree.

GJ1981
12-19-2010, 12:12

Not always, I used SA's Custom Shop for a small job that will require refinishing. They charged the same price as if I were sending it directly to the refinisher, but SA offers reduced shipping rates for anything going through the CS.

It saved me about $65 on shipping fees.

glock2740
12-19-2010, 12:14
I am a Master Dealer for Wilson and to the best of my knowledge, they do not offer Hardchrome as an optional finish anymore. If they were to offer it, my guess is that it would go down the road to Chris at Metaloy. I have a HC Wilson, but sent it to Chris after I got it from Wilson finished in Armor-Tuff.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/HCTactElite005.jpg
Chris does some great work too. Damn that's a sweet 10mm Dave. :thumbsup: You need to take that one out to the old cedar pile and take some pics.

drc767
12-19-2010, 12:29
Yes - the only issue is that you are covered for warranty issues if you go thru the manufacturer - but generally, I agree.

I have never heard of a manufacturer voiding a warranty for a refinish. If the refinish is not the cause of the warranty issue, the manufacturer would be hard pressed to void their warranty.

MD357
12-19-2010, 16:36
I have never heard of a manufacturer voiding a warranty for a refinish. If the refinish is not the cause of the warranty issue, the manufacturer would be hard pressed to void their warranty.

It voids Les Baer's warranty.

gearys 5600
12-19-2010, 16:49
I was wanting the frame done in hardchrome and the slide in black armor-tuff, I guess I am going to have to send the frame to someone for the hardchrome work. I'm sure you guys know who does quality work and who dont. Who would you send the frame to get hardchromed? Thanks again for your expertise. Geary

glock2740
12-19-2010, 16:54
I was wanting the frame done in hardchrome and the slide in black armor-tuff, I guess I am going to have to send the frame to someone for the hardchrome work. I'm sure you guys know who does quality work and who dont. Who would you send the frame to get hardchromed? Thanks again for your expertise. Geary
http://originalmetaloy.com/
Chris is the best in the business.

drc767
12-19-2010, 17:00
It voids Les Baer's warranty.

Why does that not surprise me?

thecableguy
12-19-2010, 17:45
http://originalmetaloy.com/
Chris is the best in the business.

Sorry too go a little off topic but anyone know why they don't do glocks anymore?

glock2740
12-19-2010, 18:19
Sorry too go a little off topic but anyone know why they don't do glocks anymore?
Because Glocks shouldn't be hardchromed. That's why. :tongueout:

drc767
12-19-2010, 18:29

As per my conversation with Chris, he stopped doing Glocks because he was having problems with the quality of the finish on the Glock slides and decided to just stop doing them. The factory Glock finish is a very tough finish to strip and leads to a possible uneven look to a HC refinish. Plus.....what Joe said.

MD357
12-19-2010, 18:48
Why does that not surprise me?

Depends on what kind of day he's having I'm sure. :cool:

glock2740
12-19-2010, 19:11
Depends on what kind of day he's having I'm sure. :cool:
Ain't that the truth. :) And whatever you do, don't ever ask him to flush crown one of his barrels. Cuz that ain't happenin'. :rofl:

thecableguy
12-19-2010, 19:13
Because Glocks shouldn't be hardchromed. That's why. :tongueout:

:rofl: I agree was just wondering why when I saw it on his website.