Wife can't rack slide on new 1991 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wife can't rack slide on new 1991

IndianaMatt
12-19-2010, 16:36
The other day, in showing her how to use the new gun, we discovered she cannot, without great exertion, push down the slide release with her thumb on my new 1991. I'd say she's got average-size hands for a woman her age. We've had some wrestlemania sessions, and I can say that her overall muscle strength is probably above average for a female.

I love the 1911 design, but how the US military issued these things to thousands of female soldiers for dozens of years baffles me.

Quack
12-19-2010, 16:45
It's technically a slide stop and not a release.
There's videos on guntalk.tv showing an overhand slingshot.

Hokie1911
12-19-2010, 16:49
Tell her to hit the gym. :tongueout:

cysoto
12-19-2010, 16:57
The first thing that I will recommend is to have her cock the hammer prior to racking the slide. This way she doesn't have to overcome the weight of the hammer spring. If this doesn't work, you can always install a lighter recoil spring. Reducing the weight of this spring by a couple of pounds can make a huge difference on her being able to rack the slide. You will also find that the spring weight reduction will (in most instances) give you a lighter perceived recoil impulse (which is my eyes is a plus).

Lastly, I will not say that releasing the slide by pushing on the slide stop is wrong but I will say that IMO technically, this is probably not the most efficient method of loading a pistol.

chakup
12-19-2010, 17:01
Rack slide and slide release different. Personally- I can hardly use the slide stop as a release, but don't try too much. I personally prefer to slingshot it.

RonS
12-19-2010, 17:06
Slingshot is one way.

Two hand hold with using the left thumb to pull down the slide lock is another.

Brass Nazi
12-19-2010, 18:13
Yep, Quit using the slide stop as a release and slingshot that thing.

Quack
12-19-2010, 18:52
Kathy Jackson has a good article for you to read.

http://corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

knedrgr
12-19-2010, 19:35
so which is it? Is she trying to rack the slide from battery, or the slide from an open position with the slide stop holding it? If it's from the open position with an empty mag, then it's going to be harder pushing the slide stop down with the mag spring against the stop and the friction of the slide on the stop.

fire65
12-19-2010, 19:38
Well they were all a big help. One thing to try is to hold the slide and push the gun, it might help. I went thru the same thing with my wife. Just give her time and a gun and let her practice. Ignore all the non help people and help your wife.

Hokie1911
12-19-2010, 19:51
Well they were all a big help. One thing to try is to hold the slide and push the gun, it might help. I went thru the same thing with my wife. Just give her time and a gun and let her practice. Ignore all the non help people and help your wife.

Let me give you some advice. If you are going to hang out here...

http://www.theospot.net/pictures/misc/francis.jpg

Cobra64
12-19-2010, 23:45
Yep, Quit using the slide stop as a release and slingshot that thing.

:agree:

Overhand is even easier. :)

Why anyone uses the slide lock lever to drop the slide is beyond me.

"Attack the slide" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfyULpEhmug)

Jim S.
12-20-2010, 02:11
If you try to convey a feeling of desperation and urgency she may be able to do it a bit easier.
Tell her to imagine that some drugged out dirt bag is coming at her and has some really bad thoughts about what he is going to do to her.
Tell her that she then has to press that release... NOW.
Tell her to look at it like this instead of the peaceful, calm, no emergency, I think I can, ho hum attitude.
He's coming... hit that release... NOW!!!!
Unless she is only looking to drill holes in paper. If that is the case get her a different gun.

Cobra64
12-20-2010, 02:29
If you try to convey a feeling of desperation and urgency she may be able to do it a bit easier.
Tell her to imagine that some drugged out dirt bag is coming at her and has some really bad thoughts about what he is going to do to her.
Tell her that she then has to press that release... NOW.
Tell her to look at it like this instead of the peaceful, calm, no emergency, I think I can, ho hum attitude.
He's coming... hit that release... NOW!!!!
Unless she is only looking to drill holes in paper. If that is the case get her a different gun.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Happy%20Faces/DeputyDawg.gif

BuckyP
12-20-2010, 04:49

IMO it is faster and allows you to keep the gun more on target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU3jceN4JAc

Cobra64
12-20-2010, 08:30
IMO it is faster and allows you to keep the gun more on target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU3jceN4JAc

Yup, Dave is fast, as is Todd Jarrett who also uses the slide lock lever in competitiion to release the slide.

brzusa.1911
12-20-2010, 08:40
Yup, Dave is fast, as is Todd Jarrett who also uses the slide lock lever in competitiion to release the slide.

+2. Slide release is the way for me as well

Quack
12-20-2010, 09:01
gaming is different than defense, but to each their own.

IIRC, there was someone that timed slide lock vs. slingshot. they found the difference in time to be negligible, but in gaming, every little bit counts.

Cobra64
12-20-2010, 09:24
gaming is different than defense, but to each their own.

IIRC, there was someone that timed slide lock vs. slingshot. they found the difference in time to be negligible, but in gaming, every little bit counts.

Whenever this topic comes up in training classes, instructors point out that on a semi-automatic pistol, the slide is always in the same spot, whereas the slide lock lever position and configuration differ between makes and models.

I think Clint Smith's video is a good illustration of running any of those three platforms (1911, Beretta, and Glock) with no conscious effort.

Regardless, to each his own. :)

Quack
12-20-2010, 09:25
yep, that too.

Hokie1911
12-20-2010, 09:35
Can't honestly say I've ever slingshotted a slide. Always just use the lever.

Quack
12-20-2010, 09:44
you also haven't taken a training class (except for your CHL class)

BuckyP
12-20-2010, 12:50
Whenever this topic comes up in training classes, instructors point out that on a semi-automatic pistol, the slide is always in the same spot, whereas the slide lock lever position and configuration differ between makes and models.

I think Clint Smith's video is a good illustration of running any of those three platforms (1911, Beretta, and Glock) with no conscious effort.

Regardless, to each his own. :)

The only common gun where it makes a difference IMO is the Sig pistols. I use / have used the weak hand thumb when competing with 1911s, Berettas, XDs, GLOCKs, etc. With the Sig, as someone who has trained to ride the safety of a 1911, the Sig never locks back for me anyway.

There are two things to consider about the sling shot, which probably will only impact people active in competition shooting. 1. If you use shock buffs in your 1911, the sling shot method might not work. The sling shot works different on a 1911 than most modern pistol. Current designs typically have a spring that is pushing downward on the release. So when you pull the slide far enough back to relieve tension off the slide release, the spring pulls the lever downward. On a 1911, the slide is cut on a bevel, so when you pull the slide reward the bevel cut in the slide pushes the slide stop downward. This requires more slide movement, which a shock buff interferes with. While shock buffs are a useful tool for competition, I'd not recommend them for a defensive handgun. Another thing with competition shooters is some of us have "stuff" on top of the gun like dot sights, which could also interfere with this method.

BTW: The above is MY reasoning for going with slide release. As stated, to each there own. :wavey:

Hokie1911
12-20-2010, 13:15
you also haven't taken a training class (except for your CHL class)

Guess I am untrained then. However, every time I do that, the darn thing keeps moving the slide forward on a round so I can pull the trigger and make it go BANG. Weird. :dunno:

HAIL CAESAR
12-20-2010, 15:23
I use a ledge slide stop.
I also 99.9% use the slide stop to release the slide.
I have received A LOT of training. And I am a trainer for the Dept.

Cobra64
12-20-2010, 15:43
Guess I am untrained then. However, every time I do that, the darn thing keeps moving the slide forward on a round so I can pull the trigger and make it go BANG. Weird. :dunno:

What are you doing April 8th & 9th? Want to take an Advanced Pistol Operator class and shoot steel for two days in Western North Carolina?

If all twelve students do their job correctly, we'll be placing 18,000 controlled rounds on 8" steel targets at up to 25 yards. :supergrin:

We'll be on the clock doing this. :faint:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Grayguns%20Classes/JONES02.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Grayguns%20Classes/JONES01.jpghttp://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/BULLETSPLAT.gif

Jager1
12-20-2010, 16:29

Same here.

Hokie1911
12-20-2010, 16:59
What are you doing April 8th & 9th? Want to take an Advanced Pistol Operator class and shoot steel for two days in Western North Carolina?

If all twelve students do their job correctly, we'll be placing 18,000 controlled rounds on 8" steel targets at up to 25 yards. :supergrin:

Man, I don't know what I am doing after next week much less April. :rofl:

Although...I should be in Richmond by then and that's just a driver-9 iron away. I probably need a Beginner Pistol Operator class. :thumbsup:

FM12
12-23-2010, 09:44
Slide release. Only. Always.

mr.scott
12-24-2010, 16:32
Same here.

Because it's a slide lock and a slide release.
Why else would wilson and others make extended levers for 1911s?
Why does glock make an extended slide release? Why does my hk have an ambidextrous release?

If you want to sling shot it it's your prerogative, but gun manufactures design it to be manipulated as a lever.

Cobra64
12-24-2010, 19:32
Slide release. Only. Always.
You would be out of luck using a pistol with no slide lock lever.

knedrgr
12-24-2010, 19:53
Bottom line, use what you train for. And also have the ability to problem solve incase of a malfunction.

Brass Nazi
12-24-2010, 20:22
You would be out of luck using a pistol with no slide lock lever.

Yep,

A lot of good pistols don't have them. I know a CZ52 doesn't. Sig P232 doesn't. Walther PP series...................

Brass Nazi
12-24-2010, 20:27
Bottom line, use what you train for. And also have the ability to problem solve incase of a malfunction.

This is good advice. Either way works. Some guns are made so that it doesn't matter. Some guns don't have a slide stop.

My gunsmith once told me the 1911 slide can wear out over time if the slide stop is used as a slide release. He said the shoulder that the stop catches on will form a radius over time and will no longer hold the slide reliably. I admit it would take a more use than most people would ever put on them to get to that point.

Quack
12-24-2010, 20:33
another question for the OP. is your wife trying to use the slide stop with her shooting hand thumb and can she reach it w/o breaking her grip? is she trying to release it with her support hand and doesn't have the strength to release it?

quantico
01-16-2011, 21:37
My oldest 1911 has over 100 k. Rounds thru it. Slide is still origional although there are many new parts. I use the slide release and always have. I have had shooting instructors several times and none of them took issue with how I operated the pistol. Reading the orig post made me think new tight gun not broken in and likely needing some rounds to get things flowing easily. Have your wife run fifty or more rounds thru the gun after you have shot it a few hundred rounds and cleaned and oiled it well. I use only 1911's to teach new women shooters as the recoil and gun size seem to work very well with new shooters. My daughter started shooting 1911's when she was around ten. She has her own 1911's now and shoots them very easily and safely.

COLDSTEEL165
02-01-2011, 00:23
Get her a Revolver, Problem solved.?

Nest
02-01-2011, 01:50
Old thread, but still entertaining.

Quick note to the Glock lovers, just because Glock trainers and such prefer that you use the slingshot doesn't mean every gun has to use the slingshot. On a 1911, it is designed to be a slide release as well. That is why the lever has the serrations on it, and a bevel to allow your finger to press down on it easier. Also why it is longer, to give you leverage to push down. So a method that is prefered on the holy glock is not the one and only way to do something on everything else.

AZ Husker
02-01-2011, 01:51
Overhand, push/pull for a sure release.

woodrowNC
02-01-2011, 03:39
:agree:

Overhand is even easier. :)

"Attack the slide" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfyULpEhmug)

i will use the slide release, but only when testing a new pistol to see if a certain load will feed. if it's gonna jam, it's gonna jam from slide release. if it feeds from slide release, i know i've got a winner.

woodrowNC
02-01-2011, 03:45

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Grayguns%20Classes/JONES02.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Grayguns%20Classes/JONES01.jpghttp://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/BULLETSPLAT.gif

where at in west nc? pm me info.