S. Florida Hog Hunt Suggestions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S. Florida Hog Hunt Suggestions.

GlockMonk
12-20-2010, 17:27
Howdy all, does anyone know a good place to go hunting for hogs down here in South Florida. I'm in Broward County, and willing to travel up to, and around Lake Okeechobee, Ft. Pierce area.

I prefer private ranches, as they do not require licenses, and fewer restrictions.

Thanks in advance.

GlockMonk

fireslayer23
12-22-2010, 00:47
I've had good luck with Chappy's Outfitters in Moore Haven. You can stand hunt or hunt with dogs.

A buddy and I might be trying out Hog Heaven Ranch over in Muse next week.

GlockMonk
12-23-2010, 11:34
Thank you. I'm booked, and all ready to go with Chappy's for next month.

Happy Holidays,

GlockMonk

fireslayer23
12-23-2010, 12:11
Good luck!

We saw some big hogs out there last time. I killed the biggest hog of the day with my silenced 10.5", 6.8 AR. He was an old 270 pound hog with about 3.5" cutters and wetters almost as big around as my thumbs. We saw younger and bigger hogs that day.

If they bring their dog Duke (I believe that was his name) out, you are in for a real treat. That dude isn't scared of anything and loves his job. All the dogs they had were good and sweet animals as long as you weren't a hog.

noway
12-23-2010, 22:51
You have a few other outfitters in that area one is outside of lakeport.

http://www.a-wild-boar-hog-hunting-florida-guide-service.com/

Pretty much your running dogs with them in cane or other field terrain.

Or follow the big "O" up to hwy 70 and you have;

http://www.huntingtop10.com/guides/fl/flgd7/

The latter offers; stands, buggy, and stalk hunts with a guide. You have one more outfitter in glades county ( can't remember the name ) who much cheaper than Chappy for sure and about as cheap as Outwest Farms.

fireslayer23
12-23-2010, 23:01

The latter offers; stands, buggy, and stalk hunts with a guide. You have one more outfitter in glades county ( can't remember the name ) who much cheaper than Chappy for sure and about as cheap as Outwest Farms.

I paid $150 at Chappy's including skinning and quartering for what Outwest calls a trophy hog and is charging $350 for plus $20 skinning and quartering.

mrdann
12-24-2010, 02:06
I paid $150 at Chappy's including skinning and quartering for what Outwest calls a trophy hog and is charging $350 for plus $20 skinning and quartering.

Care to share your hunting story? I've been an outdoorsman and shooter my whole life but never hunted. I want to go, and many hours of internet research have led me to Chappy's as well. I'd like to know what it was like. What did you do with all the meat? Would you use a .40 or 12ga? Would you bring your 4 and 8 year old boys?

Glockmonk, maybe I'll see you out there!

GlockMonk
12-24-2010, 05:05
Good luck!

We saw some big hogs out there last time. I killed the biggest hog of the day with my silenced 10.5", 6.8 AR. He was an old 270 pound hog with about 3.5" cutters and wetters almost as big around as my thumbs. We saw younger and bigger hogs that day.

If they bring their dog Duke (I believe that was his name) out, you are in for a real treat. That dude isn't scared of anything and loves his job. All the dogs they had were good and sweet animals as long as you weren't a hog.

Thank you, and congrats on the nice trophy hog.

I myself, would be looking for a nice meat hog, as I'm more of a bacon guy :supergrin:

GlockMonk

GlockMonk
12-24-2010, 05:26

Thank you, I'll try Ron's next time, while the weather is still cool.

BTW, Chappy's ain't cheap anymore, because it is now $175 out the door for meat hogs (under 200lbs), or $375 for the trophy :wow:

GlockMonk

fireslayer23
12-24-2010, 13:51
Care to share your hunting story? I've been an outdoorsman and shooter my whole life but never hunted. I want to go, and many hours of internet research have led me to Chappy's as well. I'd like to know what it was like. What did you do with all the meat? Would you use a .40 or 12ga? Would you bring your 4 and 8 year old boys?

Glockmonk, maybe I'll see you out there!

There were 6 of us in my group, we all knew each other in some form or fashion, but only 4 were hunting. Two of the group had hunted that morning out of tree stands and both had misses with their bows.

We loaded up the dogs and people on two buggies and rode over to an area and dumped the dogs out, drove over to another area and waited for the dogs to start baying. Once the dogs started in, all hell kinda broke loose with hogs, dogs and buggies going everywhere.

We specified our own shooting order, which kind of got blown outta the water after two of us bailed out of the buggy to go run down my hog, which no one else had seen and didn't want to go back for.

One guy had a showdown with a hog that was bound and determined to run him down and cut him to pieces. If you set dogs on me and winged me twice, I would probably do my best to take you out too.

Every hunter killed a hog that day, some were dramatic, some weren't.

I wouldn't take kids on a dog hunt, for their safety, the dogs safety and everyone else's safety. A supervised stand/blind hunt would be OK in my opinion.

40 or 12 gauge? I don't like either choice, but a 12 gauge will do, as long as you aren't expecting to shoot a hog outside of bow hunting ranges with buckshot. I wouldn't want to come up against a 300 pound hog, or bigger, with a .40 on my hip. I'd take a magnum caliber handgun, one that actually has "magnum" in the name, or an AR for dog hunts.

For stand hunts, a bow, muzzleloader, magnum caliber handgun, AR or bolt action rifle would work. No cheap ammo, whatever you use. One of the guys was using a 45 super and his 200-ish pound hog soaked up 5 rounds before it went down.

Hogs are tough, dangerous and don't necessarily run away when given the chance. We're talking about animals that will kill a dog in heartbeat and chase a full grown man even after being shot. I've dropped a lot of deer, real deer not Florida deer, and I've never been worried about a deer trying to run me down and kill me. A good hog will teach you some respect.

As far as meat, my hog was too old (about 7 years old) and had a sack that look like it contained a pair of softballs. I gave my meat to a buddy of mine to see if he could make it edible. It didn't turn out so well.

I'm not an expert at hog hunting and all of my opinions come after a few successful hog hunts.

noway
12-24-2010, 21:59
As far as meat, my hog was too old (about 7 years old) and had a sack that look like it contained a pair of softballs. I gave my meat to a buddy of mine to see if he could make it edible. It didn't turn out so well.

Q: how are you aging hogs to come up with that # ?

Advice: on the meats and for eating, wild hogs an old boars, your best to grind and mix the wild pork with domestic pork or beef & add some seasons. You can turn any old coarse muscle into some fine eating or for hog chili or sloppy joe mix.

fireslayer23
12-24-2010, 22:41
Q: how are you aging hogs to come up with that # ?

Advice: on the meats and for eating, wild hogs an old boars, your best to grind and mix the wild pork with domestic pork or beef & add some seasons. You can turn any old coarse muscle into some fine eating or for hog chili or sloppy joe mix.

The guys at Chappy's aged him. He was old, I've never seen another hog with missing teeth.

We tried mixing and seasoning some of the meat, even at 50-50 with beef brisket it didn't work. My buddy tried another mix of something and didn't do any good either.

I have a lot of experience mixing meat with all the deer and the few hogs I've processed over the years. There are 4 of us that hunt together and we end up processing the meat from all of our kills. There are some animals that you just can't eat because you can't stand to be within 25 feet of it while it's cooking.

The 14 point in the pics that I got this year posted up at 260 pounds and he was so rutted up, you could smell him from 20 feet away. We had to use him for jerky.

The 11 point measured out over 280 pounds and we made about 220 pounds of burger with a 50-50 beef brisket mix. He wasn't so full of himself, even though I had seen him with 6 does about 5 days before I got him.

noway
12-25-2010, 08:02
The guys at Chappy's aged him. He was old, I've never seen another hog with missing teeth.

Interesting, I've killed numerous hogs with missing teeths. I don't think teeth ( counts) alone is a positive method for aging hogs. In fact my grandparents use to nock out the lower tooth on their hogs, which something causes the adjacent tooths to come out later on in life. 7 years old for a true wild hog, would be a very old hog & rare imho.

BTW they did this ( teeth crackin as I like to call it ) to keep other hogs from getting hurt or humans getting stabbed when maintaining the hog pens, the same thing a rancher does with cutting horns on cows or raising genetic polled cows. A few hog raisers that grow trophy boars, also does the same thing to keep any catch dogs from being seriously injured from the game hog.

The 260-280lb are respectable weights for deers, too bad I would not even get that close on a mature buck/doe here in the Southern most state.

fireslayer23
12-25-2010, 08:29
Interesting, I've killed numerous hogs with missing teeths. I don't think teeth ( counts) alone is a positive method for aging hogs. In fact my grandparents use to nock out the lower tooth on their hogs, which something causes the adjacent tooths to come out later on in life. 7 years old for a true wild hog, would be a very old hog & rare imho.

BTW they did this ( teeth crackin as I like to call it ) to keep other hogs from getting hurt or humans getting stabbed when maintaining the hog pens, the same thing a rancher does with cutting horns on cows or raising genetic polled cows. A few hog raisers that grow trophy boars, also does the same thing to keep any catch dogs from being seriously injured from the game hog.

The 260-280lb are respectable weights for deers, too bad I would not even get that close on a mature buck/doe here in the Southern most state.

So you can see what I'm talking about. Notice upper and lower teeth (not tusks) missing
http://i51.tinypic.com/2d6tzo.jpg

My hog in the middle, I'm 5'10". I have the red hat on.
http://i53.tinypic.com/153kzt5.jpg

noway
12-26-2010, 10:39
So you can see what I'm talking about. Notice upper and lower teeth (not tusks) missing
http://i51.tinypic.com/2d6tzo.jpg

My hog in the middle, I'm 5'10". I have the red hat on.
http://i53.tinypic.com/153kzt5.jpg

I think you missed this part of my post & I'll requote;

which something causes the adjacent tooths to come out later on in life.

I don't think tooths are reliable means to measure a hog "natural" age. Anything could cause the missing tooth and plenty of hogs ( at least the one's I killed ) are missing various teeth within their mouthes.

fireslayer23
12-26-2010, 10:52
I think you missed this part of my post & I'll requote;

I don't think tooths are reliable means to measure a hog "natural" age. Anything could cause the missing tooth and plenty of hogs ( at least the one's I killed ) are missing various teeth within their mouthes.

Sure thing. I didn't miss it when you first posted, I dismissed it because I don't know you, I don't know your hunting background and if you hunt like you post, I don't want to be anywhere around you when you have anything sharper than a kids balloon in your hands.

Looking at a hogs teeth are only one indication that they used. I'm not sure why you are hung up on it. Hooves, body weight, build and his face. There's no way that I know of to reliably age a hog, but he was much older and war torn than any of the others that I've taken, seen taken and were taken that day.

GlockMonk
12-27-2010, 06:58
Looking at a hogs teeth are only one indication that they used. I'm not sure why you are hung up on it. Hooves, body weight, build and his face. There's no way that I know of to reliably age a hog, but he was much older and war torn than any of the others that I've taken, seen taken and were taken that day.

Fireslayer, thank you for your information. I'll be sure to keep my hog small, so I could enjoy eating it. Did you see enough hogs at Chappy's, so as to be able to pick and choose the size? I'd rather come home empty handed, if I couldn't find a small meat hog, as I'm not into trophys and such, thanks.

GlockMonk

fireslayer23
12-27-2010, 08:52
Fireslayer, thank you for your information. I'll be sure to keep my hog small, so I could enjoy eating it. Did you see enough hogs at Chappy's, so as to be able to pick and choose the size? I'd rather come home empty handed, if I couldn't find a small meat hog, as I'm not into trophys and such, thanks.

GlockMonk

If memory serves, we saw 15 or more hogs that day and I believe we were back at their shop shortly after 10. There were all sizes to choose from, of course the smaller one's are harder to hit. :supergrin:

GlockMonk
12-28-2010, 12:21
If memory serves, we saw 15 or more hogs that day and I believe we were back at their shop shortly after 10. There were all sizes to choose from, of course the smaller one's are harder to hit. :supergrin:

Cool, thank you very much for the info. I'll be sure to bring lots of ammo for my SKS, since I'll be missing a lot :tongueout:

Thanks, and Happy Holidays.

GlockMonk

glock33SIGLVR
12-29-2010, 23:40
Sure thing. I didn't miss it when you first posted, I dismissed it because I don't know you, I don't know your hunting background and if you hunt like you post, I don't want to be anywhere around you when you have anything sharper than a kids balloon in your hands.

That was hilarious!:rofl:
You mean porky didnt have his ID on him?