What have you done this week 2011 to prepare? [Archive] - Page 3 - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What have you done this week 2011 to prepare?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

quake
05-16-2011, 22:20
Where do you get them?

Uline industrial supplies - http://www.uline.com/BL_8172/Square-Pails

http://www.uline.com/images/product/Medium/HD_8172_M.jpg

They have four- and five-gallon versions. I use the four, simply because of price; they're (strangely) 25-30% cheaper on a per-gallon basis, even though you have to buy more of them. I do still use the same 5-gallon-size 20x30 mylar bags, simply because it's still cheaper to use them than to buy off-size bags.

{edited to add quoted question, since on a different page}

UneasyRider
05-17-2011, 18:18
Put another 300 pounds of rice in mylar and pails this morning. Took about an hour before work.

Jake514
05-17-2011, 19:28
Ran the generator for it's quarterly exercising, rotated gasoline also.
Purchased a Costco membership on Saturday. Now we will have better access to #10 canned goods and other foodstuffs.

MajorAmby
05-20-2011, 21:22
Tried some major couponing for the first time today. Saved 25% on my groceries ($38). I invested $4 on two different sunday papers for it. I bought two different ones to see which one had better coupons, but they both had virtually the same ones. I'm thinking about getting into it more heavily. I was especially psyched when I was being paid to take a couple items home.... pretty sweet deal.

kirgi08
05-20-2011, 21:32
It's worth the effort and the results speak for themselves.'08.

M1A Shooter
05-20-2011, 21:59
i agree. my wife did this for a couple weeks and saved over $600. still spent 200 so thats a 75% savings. she has let it go for college finals but hopefully we will get back into it soon. our paper towels and tp stocks grew dramatically due to some freebies after coupons.

MajorAmby
05-20-2011, 23:08
sweet. been watching Extreme Couponing on TLC as well, and going to websites they use. Pretty good stuff. I figure the trick is to have a lot of coupons, so you can catch items on sale, and say "oh, I have a coupon for that right here..."

UneasyRider
05-21-2011, 06:39
sweet. been watching Extreme Couponing on TLC as well, and going to websites they use. Pretty good stuff. I figure the trick is to have a lot of coupons, so you can catch items on sale, and say "oh, I have a coupon for that right here..."

I love that show!

Stevekozak
05-21-2011, 08:19
Changed jobs. Making slightly less money, which would seem counter-intuitive, but it results in my having much more free time to prep. Also, I might actually not die from stress before I ever need to use my preps. :)

TangoFoxtrot
05-22-2011, 17:08
Incorperated a Maxpedition Malaga Gearslinger bag to my preps.

jdavionic
05-22-2011, 18:53
Picked up some more Hodgdon 4895 powder. I think I'm pretty set of on powder, primers, and bullets for all of my reloading rounds.

M1A Shooter
05-22-2011, 20:42
finally made a tally of all the cat and dog food and litter we go through in a month and stocked up a solid 6 month supply.

jdavionic
05-23-2011, 16:26
Went to the dentist for a routine cleaning and check up. Okay...it may seem benign, but I went many years without going and paid a big price. It took me years to get my dental work caught up and things under control. Since then, I've changed my habits in cleaning my teeth and never miss a routine appointment. My gums and teeth are now healthy with no problems at all.

Just thought I'd pass along the lesson learned. Hopefully others won't learn it the hard way like I did. Just remember, people used to die from dental problems back when care was not accessible and not what it is today. In a bad scenario, you want the best possible starting point for your teeth and work hard to maintain them.

UneasyRider
05-23-2011, 17:30
Went to the dentist for a routine cleaning and check up. Okay...it may seem benign, but I went many years without going and paid a big price. It took me years to get my dental work caught up and things under control. Since then, I've changed my habits in cleaning my teeth and never miss a routine appointment. My gums and teeth are now healthy with no problems at all.

Just thought I'd pass along the lesson learned. Hopefully others won't learn it the hard way like I did. Just remember, people used to die from dental problems back when care was not accessible and not what it is today. In a bad scenario, you want the best possible starting point for your teeth and work hard to maintain them.

After seeing a tv commercial for "Teeth in a Day" were they pull all of your teeth and screw a new set into your jaws at 4 points each upper and lower (like a horseshoe). I called to find out if it was an arm, a leg or one of each... and sure enough it was, $37,500. They did come down to $30k but only after trying everything else I offered to pay in double eagles, seems two of the partners are gold nuts. Go figure.

SRT76
05-23-2011, 18:29
Cycled out the 28 gallons of drinking water I keep for emergencies only. Increased our cash stash to $1500. We refinanced the house and dropped our payment by about 12% a month. So that difference will go towards paying it off early.

Stocked up on some camping supplies. And layered in several months worth of hygiene products.

Warp
05-23-2011, 19:20

Truth.

I should probably start flossing. I did get those wisdom teeth out a few months ago, though. The impacted and partially erupted one really did need to go.

After seeing a tv commercial for "Teeth in a Day" were they pull all of your teeth and screw a new set into your jaws at 4 points each upper and lower (like a horseshoe). I called to find out if it was an arm, a leg or one of each... and sure enough it was, $37,500. They did come down to $30k but only after trying everything else I offered to pay in double eagles, seems two of the partners are gold nuts. Go figure.

That sounds...ouch.

UneasyRider
05-23-2011, 20:05
That sounds...ouch.

You aren't kidding. My teeth are ok now but I go to the dentist twice a year and I always wonder what will happen "when there is no dentist".

kirgi08
05-24-2011, 01:37
The book is well worth the effort/read.Remember dentists are a elite field.I know a Doc and a PT.I'd comp a dentist/food-shelter........................

Dentistry is a very elusive art.'08.

DoctaGlockta
05-24-2011, 07:21
If you all have any questions regarding Dentistry or Oral Health fire away.

I just don't play a Docta on GTSP I am one.

SFCSMITH(RET)
05-24-2011, 08:17
The book is well worth the effort/read.Remember dentists are a elite field.I know a Doc and a PT.I'd comp a dentist/food-shelter........................

Dentistry is a very elusive art.'08.

Bah.. all you need is a swiss army knife and an ice skate.

:whistling:

UneasyRider
05-24-2011, 09:18
Bah.. all you need is a swiss army knife and an ice skate.

:whistling:

Hey, don't scare me. :tongueout:

GeorgiaGlockMan
05-25-2011, 08:39
Vault room is one step closer to being done.

Lights and outlets are GTG.

Ventilation and humidy control are functional and RH is taking a nose dive.

The fun part is finally starting. Yipee!

Warp
05-25-2011, 11:27
That sounds badass. Hope it's hidden well. ;)

gimmejr
05-25-2011, 15:05
Stored a 25# bag of rice and bought some containers to put some non-potable water in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/gimmejr/IMG_2447.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/gimmejr/IMG_2448.jpg

UneasyRider
05-26-2011, 15:38
Ordered 8 superpails of white wheat and 4 superpails of oats.

G23c
05-26-2011, 15:45
Vault room is one step closer to being done.

Lights and outlets are GTG.

Ventilation and humidy control are functional and RH is taking a nose dive.

The fun part is finally starting. Yipee!

GeorgiaGlock,, you forgot to secure your beer. :wavey:

GeorgiaGlockMan
05-27-2011, 12:36
GeorgiaGlock,, you forgot to secure your beer. :wavey:

You are right and since it was a Mike's Hard Lemonaide instead of a real "beer", I had to delete the photo.

:wavey:

TangoFoxtrot
05-28-2011, 05:06
Bought a new house and it has a very small room which I will use for prep storage.

M1A Shooter
05-28-2011, 17:16
added a 275G water tank in the garage for potable water storage. looking to get two more eventually for rain barrels on the back side of the house and garage.

also put 2lbs of calcium hypochlorite up in a sealed glass jar. will keep an eye on it tosee how well it will store in this manner. the factory plastic bags it was in had already started splitting at the seams.

crimsonaudio
05-30-2011, 13:57
Found more climate controlled storage in the house by turning this:

http://crimsonaudio.net/misc/stair_storage_before.jpg

into this:

http://crimsonaudio.net/misc/stair_storage_during.jpg

Still need to finish the trim and make the door, but it's a surprising amount of space for food storage...

Decided to go more 'stealth' than a door there, so I built a removable shoe rack instead. In place:
http://crimsonaudio.net/misc/stair_storage_shoes1.JPG

Out for access:
http://crimsonaudio.net/misc/stair_storage_shoes2.JPG

Once it's painted it will just look like any other 'nook storage' space you see...

GeorgiaGlockMan
05-30-2011, 14:05
Crimsonaudio - Nice job with the hidden case for access.

I've seen one of those on a pivoting hinge that worked well too.

Good Luck!

crimsonaudio
05-30-2011, 15:07
Crimsonaudio - Nice job with the hidden case for access.

I've seen one of those on a pivoting hinge that worked well too.

Good Luck!
Thanks, the wife loves it.

Yah, I considered a hinged door, but we rarely have to get into it and frankly, the engineering behind an 11" deep recessed 'door' is a pretty big PITA. If we needed regular access it might be worth it, but I can pull it out in a matter of seconds and climb right in, so no worries...

Warp
05-30-2011, 15:51
Decided to go more 'stealth' than a door there, so I built a removable shoe rack instead. In place:
http://crimsonaudio.net/misc/stair_storage_shoes1.JPG[/MG]

Out for access:
[IMG]http://crimsonaudio.net/misc/stair_storage_shoes2.JPG

Once it's painted it will just look like any other 'nook storage' space you see...

That's awesome.

barbedwiresmile
05-30-2011, 16:46
I split wood again. All weekend. I think I'm done for a bit. Mrs BWS planted the rest of the tomatos. Going to grill up some goose breast that's been marinading all day. Cheers.

bdcochran
05-30-2011, 19:35
My handyman will speak to his electrician friends about putting in a surge protector for the entire house. He finished upgrading the minor electrical associated with the house today.

Lugi
05-30-2011, 19:43
http://crimsonaudio.net/misc/stair_storage_shoes1.JPG

Out for access:
http://crimsonaudio.net/misc/stair_storage_shoes2.JPG

Real nice but the switch kills it, if somebody looks in there they will think somethings up .

crimsonaudio
05-30-2011, 19:56
Real nice but the switch kills it, if somebody looks in there they will think somethings up .
Nah, that's a coat rack (they were removed for the work as I didn't want them covered in debris) - when they're in their normal spot there, that entire side of the wall is hidden.

Though now that you have me thinking about it, I could just make that a quad box and put the switch inside the storage area, just to be extra safe...

Lugi
05-30-2011, 20:09
Nah, that's a coat rack (they were removed for the work as I didn't want them covered in debris) - when they're in their normal spot there, that entire side of the wall is hidden.

Though now that you have me thinking about it, I could just make that a quad box and put the switch inside the storage area, just to be extra safe...

Cool....ya need to think it out good, you never know....all bad guys ain't stupid.

Love it minus the switch.

Later,
Chris

UneasyRider
06-03-2011, 13:28
Ordered 4 superpails of hard red wheat, 4 of hard white wheat and 4 of rolled oats from beprepared.com.

Wake_jumper
06-03-2011, 14:02
Nice, but the light switch gives it away.

barbedwiresmile
06-03-2011, 19:41
I bought some parts for my early 90's F-250. I was also able to pick up a truckload of pallets from a local feed/tack store with a surplus.

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-05-2011, 13:46
Bought a couple of these.. lasts forever, and it's good for you. :-)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/Honey.jpg

1 old 0311
06-05-2011, 15:13

He can replace that outlet/switch with a dummy, and move it INSIDE the space.

crimsonaudio
06-05-2011, 17:35
He can replace that outlet/switch with a dummy, and move it INSIDE the space.
Yah, that's basically what I did this afternoon - made that a quad box and moved the light switch just inside - works like a charm and now, once it's painted, it will blend right in...

http://crimsonaudio.net/misc/stair_storage_shoes3.JPG

Lone Kimono
06-05-2011, 17:59
Bought a couple of these.. lasts forever, and it's good for you. :-)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/Honey.jpg

Smart, I've been stocking up on the honey as well. The only thing I might suggest is buying it or storing it in smaller containers. It might make it easier to use without possibly contaminating it and also easier to trade.

lawman800
06-05-2011, 18:20
Loving the hidden storage space with the shoe rack.

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-05-2011, 18:31
Smart, I've been stocking up on the honey as well. The only thing I might suggest is buying it or storing it in smaller containers. It might make it easier to use without possibly contaminating it and also easier to trade.

Not worried about trading or contamination.. but I have 4 flats of quarts stacked up already (from Iowa, Kansas and Indiana). This is local honey, which makes it better for me..

Lone Kimono
06-05-2011, 19:23
Not worried about trading or contamination.. but I have 4 flats of quarts stacked up already (from Iowa, Kansas and Indiana). This is local honey, which makes it better for me..

Local is the only way to go! It will help you in a lot of ways, especially allergies.

quake
06-06-2011, 20:49
Had our almost-annual "Guys Retreat" Friday thru Sunday; three day campout where a bunch of us older guys take high-school boys out camping, shooting, canoeing, etc. Sixty-three of us total (more teenagers than oldsters), had a great time and got to see some kids have a ball while learning some basic woods things. Firestarting, finding direction with a watch, nothing in depth or complicated.

Played with my first explosive targets, got our church's music director to shoot a .50BMG, and showed off a little for the kids shooting small lollipops at 116 yards. Using a bipoded .308 from a bench, I know better than to be too proud of myself; but the kids were impressed... ;)

Darn if the ground doesn't seem just a little harder and lumpier every year. I was seriously happy to get back to my old select comfort on Sunday night. Oy...

GeorgiaGlockMan
06-08-2011, 08:26
Quake- that sounds like a really great time.

LongGun1
06-08-2011, 20:24

Nice! :thumbsup:

LongGun1
06-08-2011, 20:59
Had our almost-annual "Guys Retreat" Friday thru Sunday; three day campout where a bunch of us older guys take high-school boys out camping, shooting, canoeing, etc. Sixty-three of us total (more teenagers than oldsters), had a great time and got to see some kids have a ball while learning some basic woods things. Firestarting, finding direction with a watch, nothing in depth or complicated.

Played with my first explosive targets, got our church's music director to shoot a .50BMG, and showed off a little for the kids shooting small lollipops at 116 yards. Using a bipoded .308 from a bench, I know better than to be too proud of myself; but the kids were impressed... ;)

Darn if the ground doesn't seem just a little harder and lumpier every year. I was seriously happy to get back to my old select comfort on Sunday night. Oy...

Cool! :thumbsup:

We 'kinda' had a similar experience last weekend...

4 cousins & I went to the 2011 AAC Silencer Shoot at the T1G facility near West Memphis! :supergrin:

http://www.advanced-armament.com/silencershoot/

Lots of full auto & suppressed fun....finally got to try out the select fire Remington ACR & AAC M4-2000 combo!

Also got to get specific questions answered about the AAC SPR/M4 & Blackout M.I.T.E.R mount...

http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=198

...important to me as I have both on order! :banana:

Also last week....consulting with newer family member about his 1st AR...

..and another on his 1st 10mm! :supergrin:

And a trip over to Fayetteville with the family to see Darius Rucker (formerly Hootie of Hootie & the Blowfish) and Lady Antebellum one night..

..and Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band the next...

...both free concerts....being a Walmart Stockholder has its perks! :whistling:

Covered parts of 5 states last week also....3 by motorcycle...

..and actually found time to work a whole day, inspect storm damage at the North Ark home & pressure wash the decks..

..among other "honey do's"!

kirgi08
06-09-2011, 00:05
Slacker.'08. :tongueout:

UneasyRider
06-09-2011, 07:01
Bought a new truck before the prices go crazy, I work in the car business and prices on trucks are going up.

http://goldwingusa.com/JeannetteTruck.jpg

quake
06-09-2011, 09:56
Quake- that sounds like a really great time.

Great time. How do you feed 63 hungry males in the woods...? You start with 40 lbs of potatoes, 15 lbs of roast beef, 20 lbs of link sausage, five lbs of carrots, three lbs of green peas; forget how many onions; and then add a few cajun seasoning packets for kicks and cook in what's basically a covered version of a witch's cauldron. Seriously good stuff:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Guys%20Retreat%202011/Photo0565-1.jpg

Haven't inventoried yet to see how many rounds we fired, but it was in the thousands just at the pistol station that I was running.

My year revolves around two events anymore - Christmas and the Guys' Retreat. :thumbsup:

RWBlue
06-09-2011, 12:43
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Guys%20Retreat%202011/Photo0565-1.jpg

Hmmm, eye of newt.

AFshooter
06-10-2011, 16:40
Filled sandbags for 4 hours this morning. Back tomorrow. It's SHTF here if the levee breaks.

barbedwiresmile
06-10-2011, 19:01
I acquired 2 more dairy goats from a suburbanite who had an unfortunate run-in with a neighbor. Beautiful girls. They will be quarantined until their tests are back clear and then put out with the herd and bred in late summer.

M1A Shooter
06-14-2011, 21:59
received a remington 700 AAC-SD today. my 3rd R700 and i really like its faster 10" twist. need to work on subsonic load and start saving for the can :)

LongGun1
06-15-2011, 08:41
received a remington 700 AAC-SD today. my 3rd R700 and i really like its faster 10" twist. need to work on subsonic load and start saving for the can :)

Got to play with one at the AAC Silencer Shoot early this month...

..and also a integral suppressed Remington 700 in .300 Whisper day before yesterday.

The subs out of the Whisper & the Blackout were very quiet..:supergrin:

Makes me want to put either under the Christmas Tree! :whistling:

M1A Shooter
06-15-2011, 18:16
my goal is to get a SDN-6 to put on it and do a .300 blackout build in the future. :)

that said, i am researching subsonics in a .308 and it should be similar to the blackout with the extended range and power of a .308 supersonic. i know i dont get the AR15 size stuff for it but the end result should be the same.

jdavionic
06-19-2011, 17:35
Not much. Picked up 4 more cases of water.

UneasyRider
06-19-2011, 20:06
Recieved a shipment from practical preparedness, 12 superpails - 4 each of hard red wheat, hard white wheat and oats.

Just got back from cabin in Georgia where we got to get rural for a week.

http://goldwingusa.com/Truck11/RightPofile.jpg

NDCent
06-19-2011, 20:40
More ammo and food. The wife is really getting into this extreme couponing thing. It's really showing in our food and staple storage. Picked up some Ranger pistol and Federal rifle ammo on sale.

efman
06-19-2011, 20:45
Recieved a shipment from practical preparedness, 12 superpails - 4 each of hard red wheat, hard white wheat and oats.

Just got back from cabin in Georgia where we got to get rural for a week.

http://goldwingusa.com/Truck11/RightPofile.jpg

what part of georgia? this looks like my neck of the woods

UneasyRider
06-19-2011, 21:14
what part of georgia? this looks like my neck of the woods

Near Blue Ridge.

Warp
06-19-2011, 21:32
Near Blue Ridge.

I was just up there, in a cabin, 2-3 weeks ago.

M1A Shooter
06-19-2011, 22:04
found 50 rounds of reington 00buck and 15 federal powershock slugs at my local walmart on clearance for 1.99/box of 5 rounds. couldnt pass on it. they also have plenty more at regular price so im not really sure why these were on clearance but they look fine so i dont care. :) ill go shoot a few this weekend to make sure they werent under water at some point.

Javelin
06-19-2011, 23:49
Got my SPR Noveske 300 AAC BLK finally. :supergrin:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7401/edited1june2011noveske1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/edited1june2011noveske1.jpg/)

jdavionic
06-20-2011, 04:19
Near Blue Ridge.

Looks like Warren Ridge area.

LongGun1
06-20-2011, 04:45

What can are you running on it?

LongGun1
06-20-2011, 05:07

Javelin
06-20-2011, 09:35

What can are you running on it?

^^ AAC 762SD

:wavey:

Warp
06-20-2011, 09:42
Picked up a second GSD.

quake
06-20-2011, 12:07
Cleaning up a bunch of reloading-related stuff; largely handgun brass from our recent campout. Also have some .223 brass that's accumulated over the years and has been sitting around unused & uncleaned - some of it's pretty funky, so started running it thru the vibratory cleaner with some tufnut & flitz additive. Figure I may as well store it clean instead of dirty.

Picked up another 20 ammo boxes; the 50- and 100-round plastic MTM & Plano boxes for storing reloaded pistol rounds, and used those boxes to relocate some more handgun ammunition to my work location & away from home.

Looked long & hard into the Corbin swaging setup for recycling .22LR (and other) fired brass by swaging them into bullet jackets; but passed on it, for now at least.

Instead, ordered & received a spare mill - a WhisperMill this time. Never used this model, but have read very good things about it.

Finally (forgive me for getting all religious here), looks like my youngest son may be going into full-time ministry. Not a prep item for our family inherently, but a very good thing as far as helping others 'prep' for the extreme long term. :winkie:

crimsonaudio
06-20-2011, 12:33
Finally (forgive me for getting all religious here), looks like my youngest son may be going into full-time ministry. Not a prep item for our family inherently, but a very good thing as far as helping others 'prep' for the extreme long term. :winkie:

:thumbsup:

gotplastic
06-20-2011, 18:04
Picked up my Remington SPS Tactical. Now to start buying all the ad-ons so I can communicate properly at long distance. Also bought more food, water purification, another tent, blah blah blah. Most not let that blur focus on new 308 prep.

efman
06-20-2011, 21:57
Near Blue Ridge.

I was going to guess there or helen, i'm about 15 mins away, I love this region and all the national forest and trout streams that go along with it!

LongGun1
06-21-2011, 00:56
Cleaning up a bunch of reloading-related stuff; largely handgun brass from our recent campout. Also have some .223 brass that's accumulated over the years and has been sitting around unused & uncleaned - some of it's pretty funky, so started running it thru the vibratory cleaner with some tufnut & flitz additive. Figure I may as well store it clean instead of dirty.

Picked up another 20 ammo boxes; the 50- and 100-round plastic MTM & Plano boxes for storing reloaded pistol rounds, and used those boxes to relocate some more handgun ammunition to my work location & away from home.

Looked long & hard into the Corbin swaging setup for recycling .22LR (and other) fired brass by swaging them into bullet jackets; but passed on it, for now at least.

Instead, ordered & received a spare mill - a WhisperMill this time. Never used this model, but have read very good things about it.

Big Congrats on the Whisper Mill.. :thumbsup:

Though I like my (manual or electric) Country Living Mill..

..it is basically a spare..

..& the older (1990's mfg) Whisper Mill is by far the one used most!

Makes lots of very fine (single pass) flour quickly..

..with no effort expended other than cleanup! :supergrin:

Umm....and my condolences to all of the "Back to Basics Mill" users! :faint: :clown:

That being said....another congrats on your youngest son!

All that preaching you gave him over the years...

..now to be passed down to others! ;)

I'm sure a big smile when you recognize bits of the sermon originating from you in the years past!

kirgi08
06-21-2011, 01:16
Miss your insight my friend.'08.

lawman800
06-21-2011, 02:24
Miss your insight my friend.'08.

Don't worry, I'll be back to impart more wisdom soon.:whistling:

quake
06-21-2011, 08:19
...another congrats on your youngest son!

...I'm sure a big smile when you recognize bits of the sermon originating from you in the years past!
Part of me, yes. Another part of me is surprised I let him live this long. Dude came close to "too far" a few times... :cool:

crimsonaudio
06-23-2011, 17:40
You guys are probably sick of this, but as my wife just finished painting it last weekend and I put it in today, here are the finished 'shoe shelves':

http://crimsonaudio.net/misc/stair_storage_shoes_completed.JPG

Lugi
06-23-2011, 21:27
You guys are probably sick of this, but as my wife just finished painting it last weekend and I put it in today, here are the finished 'shoe shelves':

Now.....you got it right!!!!! :wavey:

Yous did a good job.:supergrin:

quake
06-24-2011, 07:02
You guys are probably sick of this, but as my wife just finished painting it last weekend and I put it in today, here are the finished 'shoe shelves':...
Not sick of it at all - sharing good ideas along with the various stages of accomplishing them, is a good thing. Looks good.

RWBlue
06-24-2011, 08:40

very nice.

smokeross
06-24-2011, 09:16
Hey read your blog page also. Had a couple of ideas ...

One: I wonder if you've ever thought of canning the meat. There are at least two advantages to canning one it's preservation is not dependant upon electric. And it's cooked ready to heat and eat or it can even be eaten cold if no heat is readily available.

Two:Wonder if you might be able to get a bigger, better, discount if they didn't have to package the ground meat with styrofoam and cellophane. You could supply some sort of bulk container for it thereby saving them that extra cost of packaging.

Just some thoughts.

~HF~
Just hose a moose or deer. Butcher it yourself. Freeze most of it. Put some up in canning jars. Same with the salmon.

M1A Shooter
06-24-2011, 14:06
One: I wonder if you've ever thought of canning the meat. There are at least two advantages to canning one it's preservation is not dependant upon electric. And it's cooked ready to heat and eat or it can even be eaten cold if no heat is readily available.
~HF~

i will be ordering a pressure canner in the next couple weeks and will be canning meat. seems like the easiest wat to keep long term. i do have a chest freezer and a generator to keep it going longer in power outages but i also like the fact that its really just heat and eat out of the can. much easier to stack it in a closet or under a bed if you dont have the extra cabinet space.

we buy half a cow every 6 months or so from a local farmer. when i start canning, i can save a bit by just buying the whole cow and not have to wait for someone else to get the other half before he kills it. will also be processing the deer this fall in the same way.

smokeross
06-24-2011, 22:16
I bought 16 of the solar lights with the stake for the yard. They have a AA rechargable batteries in them. You can bring the lights in at night if you need them, or take the charged up battery out and put it in something else, like a radio or tool.

smokeross
06-24-2011, 22:31
Bought a hand crank/solar radio. Crank flashlights and crank charger for the cell phone.

M1A Shooter
06-25-2011, 13:50
quit my job yesterday. as far as prepping is concerned, it jsut wasnt worth the cost involved anymore. will be starting a paid internship in town and concentrating on finishing my degree. will actually save money making less in town vs the cost of commuting and everything else involved in being a handyman.

UneasyRider
06-25-2011, 14:01
quit my job yesterday. as far as prepping is concerned, it jsut wasnt worth the cost involved anymore. will be starting a paid internship in town and concentrating on finishing my degree. will actually save money making less in town vs the cost of commuting and everything else involved in being a handyman.

Good decision. Many people don't have the courage or forethought to make a good decision when it comes to their income source. You did good.

crimsonaudio
06-25-2011, 14:04
Bought more new dumbbells to continue my conditioning.

Bought more Sterno and water-proof matches for storage.

fmfdocglock
06-27-2011, 21:47
Just ordered a camp stove.

Warp
06-27-2011, 21:50
I got strong(er).

lawman800
06-28-2011, 01:48
I bought 16 of the solar lights with the stake for the yard. They have a AA rechargable batteries in them. You can bring the lights in at night if you need them, or take the charged up battery out and put it in something else, like a radio or tool.

I've bought two sets from different manufacturers and they suck. Sure, it's good for a month then the battery dies on you because they are the cheap Nicads that don't cycle well. The housing leaks water so if you have lawn sprinklers, or rain, expect them to die sooner from the internals rusting to death.

One out of the 8 I bought is still working, barely, it throws out enough light to let you know it's there but doesn't light anything up at all.

Maybe mine are the cheap ones and you have to buy some expensive stuff, who knows?

As for prepping this week? I put on weight so that's extra fat for the winter months for me to live on.

Warp
06-28-2011, 14:52
I've bought two sets from different manufacturers and they suck. Sure, it's good for a month then the battery dies on you because they are the cheap Nicads that don't cycle well. The housing leaks water so if you have lawn sprinklers, or rain, expect them to die sooner from the internals rusting to death.

One out of the 8 I bought is still working, barely, it throws out enough light to let you know it's there but doesn't light anything up at all.

Maybe mine are the cheap ones and you have to buy some expensive stuff, who knows?

As for prepping this week? I put on weight so that's extra fat for the winter months for me to live on.

I've had the same basic experience with them as well as the indoor night lights with an internal battery backup that comes on in the event of a power outage. They are worthless (unless plugged in and receiving electricity) after a matter of weeks.

fmfdocglock
06-28-2011, 15:33

Finish your degree. Good decision.

smokeross
06-28-2011, 16:59
Bought 2 huge bags of dry dog food. MMMM Keeps well and is good for flavoring the rice.

kirgi08
06-28-2011, 17:01
Dry dog food doesn't store all that long due ta the oils in it.'08.

Warp
06-28-2011, 17:04
Bought 2 huge bags of dry dog food. MMMM Keeps well and is good for flavoring the rice.

Dry dog food doesn't store all that long due ta the oils in it.'08.

I did that last week as well. Around here it doesn't last long because it ends up in piles in the yard.

Went to Petsmart for dog food. Spent $147. :shocked:

M1A Shooter
06-28-2011, 21:15
we currently have 400lbs or so of dry dog food. should last us about 8 months. its all kept in a spare bedroom closet so its climate contorlled. best buy date of over a year.

NDCent
07-01-2011, 21:13
Finally broke down and bought some packets of Quick Clot for my first aid kits. Stuff is kind of expensive but I'm on blood thinners so I should have already had some around.

gotplastic
07-03-2011, 18:38
I built a treehouse for my kids.

I wouldn't normally count this as a prep, but as my wife was watching it go up she commented "would make a good sniper platform". So, I'm counting it = one point. and obviously I married well = second point.

Tom Kanik
07-06-2011, 15:51
Give your wife a hug for ALL of us! :supergrin:

Bodyarmorguy
07-06-2011, 16:00
I have pistols in .22, .380, 9mm, .40S&W, and .45acp, some 12 gauge shotguns, AR platform guns in 5.56 and a bolt gun in .308. I thought it would be a good time to conduct an ammo inventory. I have over 2000 rounds each of .22, 9mm, .40 and .45acp. About 5000 rounds of 5.56, a few hundred each shotgun rounds, .380acp and .308. That is all just the ball, practice, target, SHTF and you shoot what you have ammo, I have several hundred of each handgun caliber in various JHP configurations.

bdcochran
07-06-2011, 16:02
Added some first aid tape, gauze, gauze rolls. Ordered replacement Sigg water bottles, both stainless steel and aluminum. The tops of the "best" water bottles do tend to leak after time.

jarubla
07-07-2011, 01:14
Had a busy week and picked about 32 gallons of cherries. The absolute best part was teaching jam making to some in-laws who had previously not expressed interest in being preppers.

The 32 gallons of cherries were made into jam, and dried into leather and 'raisins'.

It is really good to teach family some new stuff :)

-Jay

TangoFoxtrot
07-07-2011, 03:58
Added alot more food, water, and medical supplies to my cashe.

PAPACHUCK
07-07-2011, 04:05
I bought a 5.11 MOAB6 as a GHB and a 5.11 Bail-Out-Bag as just that. A also bought a Leatherman multi-tool/flashlight combo($24.99) and a Gerber multi-tool/knife combo($19.99) to put in the bags.(Thanks Academy!)

I'm also finishing up a small aluminum spearpoint I fashioned out of a small piece of scrap to go in the BOB. It's 1 1/4" x 3 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar with a 1/4" hole drilled towards the rear to lash it into a straight branch or sapling and a nice sharp point at the other end. I don't know what grade aluminum it is, but it is hard as ***** to grind on so it ought to do the job once finished. I got the idea from a product I saw online for a arrowhead you could buy, just I wanted one a bit larger to use on a spear.

ETA...Oh, I forgot to mention..last week I added a Sig P6 for the wife to go with my P229 in 9mm. I usually buy my preps in pairs, one for me and one for her. Now she has a Sig of her own.

quake
07-07-2011, 17:25
Ok... more of a 'bucket list' thing than a prep thing; but achieving bucket-list things can help with mental preparedness & mental state. And since I'm not mentioning it to many people locally, if I don't tell someone (as Mitch would say), "Im'a bust". :supergrin:

I've mentioned in the past that I sing and love doing so. Well, a music director I know is friends with a relatively well-known christian group that tours nationally - short version is, I and a couple others I know got an invitation to sing with them during a performance back east.

So, bottom line... Early next year, I'll be performing at Carnegie Hall in NYC. Backup only, but still a major thing to me. :banana: :broccoli:

UneasyRider
07-07-2011, 17:32
Ok... more of a 'bucket list' thing than a prep thing; but achieving bucket-list things can help with mental preparedness & mental state. And since I'm not mentioning it to many people locally, if I don't tell someone (as Mitch would say), "Im'a bust". :supergrin:

I've mentioned in the past that I sing and love doing so. Well, a music director I know is friends with a relatively well-known christian group that tours nationally - short version is, I and a couple others I know got an invitation to sing with them during a performance back east.

So, bottom line... Early next year, I'll be performing at Carnegie Hall in NYC. Backup only, but still a major thing to me. :banana: :broccoli:

Carnegie Hall! Practice, practice, practice...

Congratulations, you must be quite good.

barbedwiresmile
07-10-2011, 17:27
Strung 15 gallons of beans this afternoon to be canned in quart jars tonight.

Carry16
07-10-2011, 21:46
Congratulations Quake.

marsturm
07-10-2011, 21:50
Bought another LED flashlight, dehydrated a load of zucchinis, and ordered alot of toiletry items. I figure common items like deodorant, shaving cream, toothpaste, etc. will never be cheaper than they are now. Sighted in my "poor boy" scout rifle, a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 with a Leupold 2 1/2X long eye relief scope, cut down military stock with Eagle stock pouch and shell holder. Sub 1 minute groups at 100yds. Traded some FRN's for Silver Eagles.

crimsonaudio
07-11-2011, 06:02
Bought more buckets and lids to pack away more food.

Continued my workouts, still getting stronger and more fit.

SRT76
07-11-2011, 15:21
Bought and broke in a 18" chainsaw. Used it to cut up a HUGE branch that fell on my neighbors garage.

SFCSMITH(RET)
07-11-2011, 15:45
Just bucketed 90lbs of soft white wheat.. 'cause I ain't going into TEOTWAWKI without pastries.

kirgi08
07-12-2011, 00:18
We prefer the whole oats,we grind as needed and it'll store better.'08.

quake
07-12-2011, 09:20

Not following... if you mean oats store better than soft wheat, I believe that's incorrect. Soft wheat isn't as long-term storable as hard, but still measured in decades and should be as long as oats.

kirgi08
07-12-2011, 16:20
When "soft" was posted,I took it ta mean "already" ground intapowder form-IE-rtu.'08.

M1A Shooter
07-13-2011, 01:20
put up more buckets of bulk. 3 flour, 3 rice, 2 macaroni, 2 sugar, 1 great northern beans, 1 small red beans, 1 split green peas.

cleaning out the garage and house for a sale to produce more prep funds :)

wjv
07-13-2011, 10:20
Bought a S&W 442. . . Not that I really needed another gun. But wanted a nice pocket gun for EDC.

bdcochran
07-13-2011, 19:45
I have been buying new and used folder knives and evaluating them for a mentor. The prices of the folders range from $18 to 160 delivered, with most being in the $30 range.

A number of decent folder knives can be picked up for the price of a decent hunting rifle out the door with taxes and registration fee.

Taykaim
07-14-2011, 03:24

Have you found a grinder that holds up for lots of use grinding wheat?

Just wondering because so far every grinder I've found that does a good job, doesnt last. And the ones that last, produce mostly grit no matter how many times its used on the same lot.

Oh, and as for what I've done this year in preps:
Added 100 cans of varied canned meats, and 300 cans of varied canned veggies into food rotation, each month.
Added 20 new 10-22 magazines.
Added 2X 500 count bottle of 2013 expiration amoxicillin to medical kits
Added 2x45 count blister pack of ciprofloxin to medical kits
Added 2x120 count Nizoral to medical kits.
Well, actually the medicine is in the fridge, but it has a spot in each of the kits
tossed the expired celox and replaced it with 10 quikclot packs (1 combat guaze, 1 4x4, 1 trauma pad)
Added 5 packs of polysorb suture packs to medical kits(prepping for 5, so its all in multiples of 5)
Got a year ahead on wife's Bupropion.
Inventoried food supplies and found them wanting.
Inventoried propane and found it wanting (19 5 gallon tanks + misc camp tanks, but too many are currently empty).
Inventoried water storage and found it adequate (a bit over 1000 gallons, enough time to get collection running, and to fire up a slow sand filter).
Inventoried water collection and found it wanting, (supplies for solar stills, rain barrel collection system not complete, slow sand filter not complete).
Inventoried water filtration/purification and found it adequate, (multiple katadyn camp style filters, 2 gallons of bleach, 25 lbs calcium hypochlorate in sealed bags inside #10 cans) slow sand filter not complete.
Inventoried house security and found it wanting (probably the most secure house on the block without looking out of place, but still a lot of ways to improve it).
Inventoried weapons and ammo supplies and found both adequate (not to say I don't want more toys, but I don't need more).
Inventoried home power situation and found it extremely wanting (solar chargers for most of the house's small electronics, CFL and LED lights wherever possible to reduce load, short term generator able to power the whole house, adequate fuel on hand for a short term problem but not nearly enough for long term).
I already have the most fuel onsite I can get without trouble, so other areas to focus on.
Completed home refinance to greatly reduce monthly payment, increase saving ability and if all goes well, decrease payoff time to 5 years.
Began working toward a building permit to construct a solar water heating shed as a backyard outbuilding.
Increased physical activity to 60 miles a week (slow walk) and two workouts a week.
Enclosed carport into garage, installed door. Now I have a place to setup for reloading and frees up basement for better food storage.
Its been a busy year so far.

Oh yeah, and working on potty training kids and staying 150% on top of work so the income keeps coming in.

SFCSMITH(RET)
07-14-2011, 05:20
When "soft" was posted,I took it ta mean "already" ground intapowder form-IE-rtu.'08.

No, soft wheat is used for pastries and such, hard wheat is used for bread and such. It's a gluten vs starch thing.

Both are whole wheat berries, with storage times in the millennium range if stored properly. We grind wheat into flour and cracked wheat here weekly.

We also store oats, 200lbs or so right now. I expect their storage life to be at least 20 years, we go through about 5 pounds a month right now.

SFCSMITH(RET)
07-14-2011, 05:24
Have you found a grinder that holds up for lots of use grinding wheat?

Just wondering because so far every grinder I've found that does a good job, doesnt last. And the ones that last, produce mostly grit no matter how many times its used on the same lot.

My parents have not bought bread, or even wheat, in decades. They have been using a Country Living Grain Mill for more than 20 years. I have had one for a while now myself. No complaints at all. It will make bread flour from whole berries in a single pass.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/P1010003-1.jpg

kirgi08
07-14-2011, 07:25
No, soft wheat is used for pastries and such, hard wheat is used for bread and such. It's a gluten vs starch thing.

Both are whole wheat berries, with storage times in the millennium range if stored properly. We grind wheat into flour and cracked wheat here weekly.

We also store oats, 200lbs or so right now. I expect their storage life to be at least 20 years, we go through about 5 pounds a month right now.

Sorry I missed that.We've a similar grinder,got it from bwh.I think.'08.

Taykaim
07-14-2011, 13:56
My parents have not bought bread, or even wheat, in decades. They have been using a Country Living Grain Mill for more than 20 years. I have had one for a while now myself. No complaints at all. It will make bread flour from whole berries in a single pass.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/P1010003-1.jpg

I've heard from unreliable sources that the country living mill isnt so good since they went to aluminum body and changed the materials of some internals. Being 20 years old, is the one your parents have cast iron or aluminum? What parts do you/they keep on hand as consumable or possible replacement parts?

SFCSMITH(RET)
07-14-2011, 14:38
I've heard from unreliable sources that the country living mill isnt so good since they went to aluminum body and changed the materials of some internals. Being 20 years old, is the one your parents have cast iron or aluminum? What parts do you/they keep on hand as consumable or possible replacement parts?

My parents mill is exactly the same as mine except for the flywheel. They replaced their burrs about 5 years ago. They have never replaced their bearings. I keep a couple spare machine keys, bearing set, and burrs. They sell a spare parts kit (http://countrylivinggrainmills.com/index.php).. I just sourced parts locally. except the burrs. Between my brothers and extended family, I can account for 6 of these in regular use, from 1-20 years old, not one problem ever.

We have a couple friends locally who own the GrainMaker (http://www.grainmaker.com/) mill also, and I can say it is very nice, though not worth the price difference in any way shape or form IMHO.

LongGun1
07-14-2011, 17:53

Great choice (especially with the extension handle) :thumbsup:

Makes a fine flour single pass with minimal effort.

Anyone that has used a lesser mill should really appreciate that statement!

jarubla
07-15-2011, 03:10
Picked Raspberries (the better half made jam), got the B.O.V. some new shocks

-Jay

jarubla
07-15-2011, 03:15
Great choice (especially with the extension handle) :thumbsup:

Makes a fine flour single pass with minimal effort.

Anyone that has used a lesser mill should really appreciate that statement!

We bought one of these a while back:

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Junior-Deluxe-Grain-Wondermill/dp/B0026S3K42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310721085&sr=8-1

Nice that it has both stones (grains) and burrs (nuts and 'greasier' grains). It is a heckuva lot better than the Sunshine Nugget or the Back to Basics/Victorio it replaced.

And that being just my humble opinion, if you have one of the above I just punted to the corner, the Sunshine/BTB/Victorio are absolutely better than nuthin :)

-Jay

jdavionic
07-15-2011, 16:23
Through a series of unfortunate events, we ran up a balance on a credit card that we had just recently paid off. So today I paid it off again. It will be painful until the next paycheck, but it's worth it to have that monkey off my back.

LongGun1
07-15-2011, 18:57
Through a series of unfortunate events, we ran up a balance on a credit card that we had just recently paid off. So today I paid it off again. It will be painful until the next paycheck, but it's worth it to have that monkey off my back.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

If this economy worsens...

(& I feel the fat lady hasn't even cleared her throat yet :whistling: )

..I really feel for those living over their means & paycheck to paycheck! :shocked:

Many are so deeply mired in credit card debt..

..just a little rocking of the boat & they will go under!

RWBlue
07-15-2011, 20:12
I am now Mr. CISSP, CISA, CRISC. Continued improvements hopefully means continual employment.

ancient_serpent
07-16-2011, 10:25
Bought a set of rifle plates for my vest I keep at home. Picked up a 4 point harness for my helmet and a new set of ballistic pads for it, too.

Carry16
07-16-2011, 16:28
deleted

quake
07-16-2011, 20:12
Another 400 bs of rice, 160 lbs of pinto beans & 100 lbs of popcorn.

Replaced my keyring flashlight that I gave to a female relative the other day (with a new Fenix PD-10 & a couple spares) and also bought a ridiculously bright full size LED flashlight. Kobalt brand from Lowe's; don't recall the model, not sure of the brand's likely durability, and don't particularly like the ergonomics & feel; but it absolutely buries any other flashlight I own for brightness. It only claims 500 lumens, but it far outpowers even the ITP A6 Polestar that's rated at 700 lumens. It uses four CR-123's and is at least 30-40% brighter than the A6; up there in Q-Beam brightness territory.

TangoFoxtrot
07-18-2011, 02:38
Purchased new shelving for more food staorage.

Warp
07-18-2011, 05:45
Bought a couple new fire extinguishers and replaced the batteries in every smoke detector and CO monitor.

cannoneer
07-24-2011, 18:17
New insulation installed in the attic over the old insulation.
One of the young men installing it was using a knife to cut it, I looked at the knife it was a SWCOM Smith & Wesson fixed blade knife looked good but (made in china:steamed:) when they finished he gave me the knife he said he had two of them.:supergrin:

Picked up two 4oz bottles of BurnJelPlus
two boxs of Quickclot
eight 8oz bottles of waterless hand sanitizer (Gro store was giving it away.)
four canded hams, four can's of chicken, four cans of tuna, 10 lb of rice.
I found a New colman max 144 lum flash light(with batteries) at durt cheep for $1.50 they sale for $39.00 at walmart.

M1A Shooter
07-25-2011, 02:01
was able to pick up some amazing deals on coins at the local auction. got 4 10th oz gold coins and 4 pre '64 half dollars for $9. the regular coin guy was out that night and they described them as gold dollars so i snagged them. also got 3 '30s era buffalo nickels for $1. definately going to be looking into coins more often.

lawman800
07-25-2011, 02:25
Another 400 bs of rice, 160 lbs of pinto beans & 100 lbs of popcorn.

I bought 10 Monster drinks (16oz) for $0.99 each on sale at the local supermarket, normal price $1.49.:whistling:

ki4dmh
07-25-2011, 02:26
I bought several more cans of canned veggies and loaded some more AMMO!!

jdavionic
07-25-2011, 04:31
Organized and cleaned up ammo storage area. Just got sloppy over time. Ordered more 7.62x39 to replenish what I've recently shot and boost the quantity. Bought more lighters to replenish the ones that I used over the 4th...which I took out of my BOBs.

LongGun1
07-25-2011, 11:51
was able to pick up some amazing deals on coins at the local auction. got 4 10th oz gold coins and 4 pre '64 half dollars for $9. the regular coin guy was out that night and they described them as gold dollars so i snagged them. also got 3 '30s era buffalo nickels for $1. definately going to be looking into coins more often.

You snagged almost 1/2 oz of gold coins AND 4 silver halves for only $9....:wow: :wow:

Somebody screwed up....bigtime!! :shocked:

M1A Shooter
07-25-2011, 12:15
You snagged almost 1/2 oz of gold coins AND 4 silver halves for only $9....:wow: :wow:

Somebody screwed up....bigtime!! :shocked:

good way to start into metals and coins, huh? even if i am starting late.

LongGun1
07-25-2011, 16:58
good way to start into metals and coins, huh? even if i am starting late.

+1 :thumbsup:

That was a SMOKING good deal! :wow: :supergrin:

Maybe 1.25 cents or so per dollar of actual worth! :faint:

I wonder why they didn't just list it on Ebay...

..should have gotten near top dollar ($700??) even with buy-it-now! :whistling:

quake
07-25-2011, 18:18
Ordered a trailmaster sheath from baystateleather.

Know how hard it is to find a good left-handed sheath for a full-size knife nowadays..? Sheesh. I sometimes make my own, but this guy makes one that has the loose-swivel ("dangle") carry, along with top pouches for a firesteel and a multitool, and I figured I'd give it a shot. Have to wait for it; we'll see how it turns out... :dunno:

M1A Shooter
07-25-2011, 22:03
estate auction. guess they didnt really see what they had. they should know if their business to do these kind of things

LongGun1
07-25-2011, 23:30
estate auction. guess they didnt really see what they had. they should know if their business to do these kind of things

Well....next time you come across a deal like that... :whistling:

..don't even hesitate...as you can more than double your money instantly..

..because I will Paypal you $20 ASAP & even pay postage! :tongueout: :rofl: :supergrin:

Seriously though....great "situational awareness"! :thumbsup:

G29Reload
08-05-2011, 20:05
Wholly unintentional, but had acute appendicitis (found out later) and ended up having emergency surgery to get it removed.

I've heard of folks going into remote areas or dangerous conditions getting it done in advance (Like the Apollo astronauts) so its just one less thing to go wrong when med help isnt around.

So now I have one less thing to go wrong in a SHTF is med help isnt around. It was major surgery and had to stay overnight.

If it had gotten bad it could have burst and killed me. Wasnt sure what it was, thought I might have had food poisoning or salmonella.

Dodged another bullet.

quake
08-06-2011, 08:08
Bought my first SOG fixed-blade knife, a small seal pup, to try out. Largely because it comes with an ambidextrous sheath with a pouch that can hold a multitool as well.

Bought three multitools (Leatherman 300 and two different SOG's) to try out. These are largely for outfitting others - wife & sons - and honestly because I hadn't bought a multitool in a couple years.

Put a Total Gym and a speed bag up in the shop to go with the heavy bag & weights already there. I'm at the age where I figure I need to work more on aerobics & stamina and less on plain-old strength at this point.

Busy week but a good one...

Restless28
08-07-2011, 17:24
Today, I bought a 2 year kit from every life for emergency water filtration, in addition to my existing water stores.

marsturm
08-07-2011, 21:59
Exchanged more FRN's for American Silver Eagles.

M1A Shooter
08-10-2011, 22:55
Added 2 z-packs to the stores.
Went up to Missouri to see my brother before he goes back to Afghanistan for another tour. Also started pricing some land to buy. Looking into a nice area with lots of family nearby, surrounded by friends, has a river running along the edge and backs up to a state park

cowboy1964
08-11-2011, 00:12
Today, I bought a 2 year kit from every life for emergency water filtration, in addition to my existing water stores.

The 5 gallon bucket version for $84.99? I'm thinking of one too. I just can't see myself spending $250 on a Berkey. I've got to have SOMETHING. The Berkeys filter much faster but that's not a huge deal.

jarubla
08-11-2011, 00:38
Making fruit leather from blackberries tonight. We dehydrate quite a bit, and use the Cabelas 160L behemoth to make everything from jerky to raisins. Sold our other smaller Lequip dryers at a yard sale

-Jay

lawman800
08-11-2011, 07:48
Put a racing muffler and diffuser on the car to make it stick better to the road when escaping bandits.

M1A Shooter
08-11-2011, 16:17
... I just can't see myself spending $250 on a Berkey. I've got to have SOMETHING. The Berkeys filter much faster but that's not a huge deal.

http://www.disasterstuff.com/store/pc/Bucket-Berkey-20p1202.htm
http://www.disasterstuff.com/store/pc/catalog/Bucket-Berkey-350.jpg

jdavionic
08-13-2011, 06:46
Purchased more of the FoxLabs 2 oz, flip top pepper sprays. I've got a bunch already, but they are several years old. So I figured it was time to get new ones.

SRT76
08-13-2011, 19:46
Replaced tires on primary BOV.
Got vasectomy. Best $40 I ever spent. No more spending money on birth control and no risk of any little surprises.
Wife got a great deal on a haircut kit online and learned to cut the boys hair. That will save us $30 a month too.
Grabbed 3 boxes of 00 buck.
Got AAA membership for me and the misses.
Started contributing to wife's 401k account too.

lawman800
08-13-2011, 20:19
Upgraded to AAA premium so I can have them come out to tow me 100 miles when SHTF.

Bolster
08-13-2011, 21:00
Got vasectomy. Best $40 I ever spent. No more spending money on birth control and no risk of any little surprises.
Wife got a great deal on a haircut kit online and learned to cut the boys hair. That will save us $30 a month too.

If you had reversed the order of those two, your wife could have saved you the $40 by using the haircut kit.

Kidding aside, I got a FlowBee haircut kit and I love it. LOVE it. I can do my hair exactly how I like it, repeatably, every couple weeks, so it looks like I never get a haircut anymore, it's always the same. No driving to the hair place, no waiting, no gay guy running his hands through my hair, no pay, no tip. Paid itself off in the first 7 cuts. And, the haircuts look better than what I got at the haircutters.

Warp
08-13-2011, 21:06
My wife has been cutting my hair for, uh, probably 3 years now.

Great savings.

Carry16
08-13-2011, 21:20
I got mine about 40 years ago and I paid around $100...guess I got taken :wow:

Got vasectomy. Best $40 I ever spent.

lawman800
08-13-2011, 21:24
I bought a wahl trimmer in college and I have been buzzing my own hair weekly since then. Once in a while I get a real cut to trim and even out some spots but mostly, I don't go out for cuts anymore.

That $20 in college definitely paid off.

lawman800
08-13-2011, 21:29
I paid $1,795 for my vasectomy... Not covered under my insurance, but worth every single penny.

quake
08-16-2011, 08:02
Ordered a big berkey to set back. After initial function-testing, the plan is to just clean it & leave it unused; likely at a family member's house in another county.

dissthis
08-16-2011, 13:58
I've decided to start focusing on preps after losing focus for a year or two...still have a good amount of preps stored up...lost a little due to some uninvited rats...
Have increased camping supplies as the kids are old enough to go...and the wife loves to camp...

I have significantly increased my physical fitness = in the best shape of my life; gotten into trail races and adventure type races...

Traded 1 4x4 for another (Jeep to 4Runner)...

Anyway....I'm back :tongueout:

Kevin108
08-16-2011, 14:40
Ordered a 5-pack of P-38 can openers.

M1A Shooter
08-17-2011, 14:47
start back to class tonight. since im still unemployed i figured id concentrate on school and will be doubling down on classes. if the class schedule falls correctly, i should graduate next december, maybe the following may of 2013. will be graduating with a BS in engineering with triple concentrations in electrical, electronics and robotics as well as an AS in electronic communications.

he have 5 terms of 8 weeks per year but im taking 12 credits per term which is double what everyone qualifies as full time. might as well take full advantage of the new GI bill. pays 100% of as many credit hours as i want to take in 4 years and gives a housing allowance. not sure why i even tried to keep my business going as long as i did after i got out of the military. should have dove into this then.

callihan_44
08-18-2011, 13:49
with the stock market dropping like a rock put what's left of the 401k in safer investments. Picked up some freeze dried food

LongGun1
08-19-2011, 20:33
..... will be graduating with a BS in engineering with triple concentrations in electrical, electronics and robotics as well as an AS in electronic communications.

Cool! :thumbsup:

That is the field I am in now! :)

As for me....have not posted here in a while..

...lots of stuff going on right now...

..but the highlights are...

My CPR, First Aid & AED Industrial First Responder Class (recertification) was today! :banana:

Really nice getting paid OT for valuable SHTF training! ;) :supergrin:

The Charger SBR Project is coming along nicely..

http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpreps/forums3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=700

..especially since the 2 each DBAL-A2 (IR/Visible Laser Designator & IR Laser Illuminator)..

..should arrive sometime next week! :popcorn:

dissthis
08-24-2011, 15:16
Went to Wally World and got some (more) water, TP, ammo, stabil and tire plug kit with extra plugs (would ONLY use in an emergency)

quake
08-24-2011, 15:37
Continued working on getting back to my 'schoolgirl figure'. :supergrin:

I've been on somewhat of a 'bladed tool' kick for some reason lately. Bought two more Leatherman Supertool 300's, another sog seal pup and a buck 19, strictly to serve as additional "put back" spares.

Much like Bill Ruger when he was alive, I wish Tim Leatherman's politics were different; but after years of trying leathermans, sog's, and gerbers, the leathermans are enough better (for my purposes, anyway) that I'll buy his product even if I don't like his politics.

Also picked up another low-end nv monocular; a Sharper-Image brand gen-1, no telling who actually makes it. One of our distributors had them on closeout for under $140 and we do use them for night-time cctv setup, so imo it's legitimate to get them that way.

Kevin108
08-24-2011, 23:28
Bought another week worth of canned goods and bottled water. "Hoarding" some gas tomorrow.

SRT76
08-27-2011, 19:45
Had my 6 month dentist visit. Looks like the wisdom teeth are finally going to have to come out. Made appointment for that. Finally bought a proper gun belt for my EDC rig.

Been working with my employer and talking about preps. Convinced them to purchase 35 3-day emergency kits from the red cross for my peers. So now they all have them in their cars.

Now my attention is turning towards the drought we are facing. That was one thing I did not have on my radar. Getting worried about the huge trees around my house.

Got a chance to cherry pick an abandoned storage building. Got a propane camping stove, 2 .50 cal ammo cans, a thermarest camping mattress, camp stool, and an old cast iron skillet. All for free!

M1A Shooter
08-28-2011, 00:38
got my new-to-me pressure canner up and running. its a good thing to know how to do IMO, and its interesting for now. wife thinks im headed over the edge, once again :)

canned some hamburger, sausage and beans so far. probably going to try to do some pairs next.

UneasyRider
08-28-2011, 06:35
got my new-to-me pressure canner up and running. its a good thing to know how to do IMO, and its interesting for now. wife thinks im headed over the edge, once again :)

canned some hamburger, sausage and beans so far. probably going to try to do some pairs next.

Great purchase! BTW my wife feels that way every couple of months. :shocked:

jdavionic
08-28-2011, 06:53
Did another overage (beyond normal grocery buy) of TP. You can never have too much TP :)

quake
08-29-2011, 19:04
Got my final glock; (ok, at least for a while). Basically, I had enough glock 9mm's to have the ones dedicated as "mine", and just one spare g19. I finally broke down and bought another, giving two identical spare third-generation g19's in addition to the ones (never mind how many that is) that are dedicated as my personal guns. Two sons, now two spare g19's in addition to their own guns that they already have. They're basically grown & now have their own preferences, but we now at least have a common platform for everybody (including mom) in addition to their existing personal favorites.

Warp
08-29-2011, 21:39
Ordered another pair of boots. Got a new pair of Danner APB leather/nylon 8" for $110 shipped. I'll be curious to see how they compare to my Acadias.

Kadetklapp
08-30-2011, 13:58
A weakness in my preps that has been really bothering me is not having a sturdy BOV. So I picked this up last week for $1800 locally.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/kadetklapp/IMG_6807.jpg

1999, 5.9 gas, 226,000 miles, bullbar, tool box, and good tires. Not bad really. Should do well in winter driving and in the event I need to "cross-country it" to the BOL.

LongGun1
08-30-2011, 15:53
A weakness in my preps that has been really bothering me is not having a sturdy BOV. So I picked this up last week for $1800 locally.

Nice!! :thumbsup:

And really nice not having a huge truck payment each month to go along with it! :supergrin:

lawman800
08-30-2011, 17:02
I know. I regretted selling off my GMC which was all paid for. That was really nice to have a good truck with no payments.

jdavionic
08-30-2011, 20:10
Bought and installed an day/night (IR) camera in one area where we are most vulnerable and essentially a blind spot on the house. I've been wanting security cameras all over, and even worked with someone on GT in getting quotes. I just couldn't afford what I wanted at this time, given debt management is a key goal at the moment. So I went a less expensive route. It's not bad. I can view it online from anywhere and have email alerts setup. My wife and kids can access via an app on their phones. Unfortunately I have an el crapo phone until my contract runs out...then I get a high end phone via my company.

SRT76
09-01-2011, 12:22
Got my flu shot. Picked up a window unit AC that my gen can support and can keep the family room livable during a hurricane. Picked up a WASR AK for a good price and some ammo.

marsturm
09-01-2011, 20:52
Bought 4 20lb bags of regular charcoal at Lowe's for my dutch ovens. Exchanged more FRN's for Silver Eagles. Completed a new 8X12' storage shed.
Prepared the garden patch for fall crops. Purchased a better grain grinder.

dissthis
09-02-2011, 07:13
Rotated out about 20 gallons of stored gas and replaced. Bought some more plastic sheeting and duct tape (can never have enough), more batteries, ordered another fire starter, some EMT sheers and a signal mirror from countycom...

Working on getting a enduro type motor bike...if the wife will let me :wow:

LongGun1
09-05-2011, 01:25
After several years of planning & testing..

..3 different NVD mode optics...3 different stocks...multiple IR configurations..

..the 1st of 2 custom, night optimized, Integral Charger SBR is almost finished!

The 2nd should be finished inside a week!

The pistol grip mounted remote switch for the DBAL-A2..

(co-aligned Visible/IR Laser Designator + IR Laser Illuminator)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/Charger%20SBR/Photo0121-1.jpg

Stock extended...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/Charger%20SBR/IntegralChargerSBRwithSPARCandDBAL-A2.jpg

Stock folded...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/Charger%20SBR/ChargerSBRrightside.jpg

Soon it will be time to break out the Dueling Trees..

..slap on some NVD..

..& turn off the lights!! :2gun:

Nice to finally have really compact, integral .22 LR setups fully optimized for nighttime fun! :thumbsup:

Let the games begin!! :dancingbanana:

kirgi08
09-05-2011, 07:11
:impatient: :rant:

In complete jealousy.'08.

cowboy1964
09-05-2011, 12:51
Started learning up on multi-tools, headlamps, and oil lamps. Bought a W.T. Kirkman #2 Champion:

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/WTK2Galv.jpg

LongGun1
09-05-2011, 22:06
Update on the Integral Charger SBR Project...

Several hundred rounds this afternoon using the SPARC and/or visible laser..

..then waited until after dark to adjust the IR Laser Illuminator to the IR Laser Designator (aka pointer)!

Though I have been using weapons mounted IR Lasers with NVD since the early 1990's..

..and many different models since..

..this DBAL-A2 (Dual Beam Aiming Laser - Advanced2) is really SWEET!! :supergrin:

Having an simultaneous IR Designator and IR Illuminator mode on the DBAL-A2..

.. is sooo much better than having just the IR Designator or IR Illuminator (but not both) of the earlier DLAP..

..& powerful enough on the low power setting to reach out to the limits of the range 200+ meters distant.

Both IR Lasers (Designator & Illuminator) were decently crisp & concentric.

Will be locking out the high power IR modes with the blue blocking screw during matches.

The adjustable beam size and position of the DBAL-A2 IR Illuminator beats out the fixed beam on the DLAP as well!

The much more powerful Lithium CR123A in the DBAL-A2..

.. soundly trounces the rather crappy performance of the Alkaline "N" battery of the DLAP also. :upeyes:

The DBAL-A2 'dual mode' remote switch operation..

(quick click for on & off....or hold & release for momentary on/off operation)

.. is a welcome & sorely needed functionality as well....IMO!

I wish it was more lightweight..(carbon fiber instead of metal)

..but otherwise it is a very solid unit & performance spot on so far.

TangoFoxtrot
09-06-2011, 03:02
Added a good quality steel fire pit (with grill)and a cord a wood as my backup cooking source.

cowboy1964
09-09-2011, 10:30
Converted more dollars to silver.

Restless28
09-09-2011, 16:54
Added a G20SF and a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack.

farmer-dave
09-09-2011, 20:07
Got a semi load of seed wheat cleaned for fall planting, while I have some wheat cleaned I'm going to put some up in mylar and buckets, only once cleaned but much cleaner then off the combine. Put in my order with sorbent systems for bucket size mylar and the lds store for 1 gallon mylar and o2 absorbers.

SRT76
09-12-2011, 19:22
Added a G20SF and a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack.

LOVE my jumbo. Wish they would have had some of the newer versions when I bought it. Mine usually has a Colt Defender and 2 extra magazines in it. But sometimes a G17.

I take it with me all over and it's been great.

LongGun1
09-12-2011, 20:17
Donned the NVD & did a night shoot with relatives last night.

They were new to using NVD in conjunction with IR Lasers..(using the Integral Chargers)

..but that did not keep them from popping cans without a miss at 20 yards! :supergrin:

SRT76
09-15-2011, 18:11
Mrs. SRT has been doing the whole coupon thing (not the extreme stuff you see on TV but a little bit). Now have more than a years worth of hygiene products that we paid almost nothing for. Soap, deodorant, shampoo, razors, toothpaste, tooth brushes, etc.

I also discovered that all the maps in my car were 7+ years old so I updated all the maps of my AO.

Restless28
09-15-2011, 18:36
Mrs. SRT has been doing the whole coupon thing (not the extreme stuff you see on TV but a little bit). Now have more than a years worth of hygiene products that we paid almost nothing for. Soap, deodorant, shampoo, razors, toothpaste, tooth brushes, etc.

I also discovered that all the maps in my car were 7+ years old so I updated all the maps of my AO.

How in the world did she do this? I am in awe of folks who can do this.

bdcochran
09-15-2011, 20:02
"How in the world did she do this? I am in awe of folks who can do this. "

Example - Albertson's. Stimulus promotion was give $300 and get gift certifcates totaling $330. Then, Albertson's would run promotions like spend $40 and get 10% off. You buy the items on sale only for $40 and use the gift certificates. Once in a while, the tooth paste, toilet paper, breakfast cereal people run clear the warehouse sales.

Also, at certain times of the year when people focus on buying turkey, you pick up steaks dirt cheap.

quake
09-15-2011, 20:19

My favorite example was several years ago; summer of 2006 iirc. Target was running a promotion in conjunction with proctor & gamble and duracell. You buy a multipack of duracell batteries, and any two P&G products from a specific list; the list included crest toothpaste, barbasol (iirc) shave cream, head & shoulders shampoo, etc. Anyway, buy the batteries and two P&G products, and get a $10 gift card when you check out. Thing was, if you planned it right, your purchase could be made to come out to right at $10, so you effectively got it free since you got a $10 gift card back.

I'd buy an eight-pack of AA, AAA, etc, duracells, a tube of crest and a can of shave cream, and it came out to $9.98 to $10.03, depending on whether I was in the city limits or not (Little Rock). Check out, give the cashier roughly ten bucks, and she'd give me all the merchandise and ten bucks back in the form of a gift card. So I'd check out again, paying with the gift card I just got, and she'd give me a new gift card...

I told my friends and my coworkers about the promotion, but almost none of them took advantage of it. I got the impression it struck them as 'low-brow' and low class. Personally, I saw it as good stewardship, but I'm kind of simple that way.

Don't know how many times I checked out at different Target stores over that few weeks, but we're STILL using from that stack of crest, and I just this year had to start buying shave cream again. Good stewardship is how I still see it, and that stack of crest makes me grin like an idiot when I get a new tube out.

M1A Shooter
09-15-2011, 20:25
my wife is up to almost 75% free on her couponing. she puts a bit of time in and waits for sales. our local Kroger will automatically double coupons up to $.50. she will wait for 10/$10 sales and hope to get coupons for $.50 etc. and its free.

CVS or Walgreens will have grocery sales at times too which work out pretty good because alot of people dont realise they sell that kind of stuff.

received more reloading componants this week. got 2k bullets from tjconevera and picked up a 5K case of primers for $50. :) also had some new carbon fiber arrows cut to length for a new-to-me bow i got this week. shoots like a dream compared to the beat up aluminum shafts it came with.

also received my second C3-907 light. got the first at the advice of LG1 and am loving them both.

shooting an IDPA match saturday and heading to a range on sunday that has steel out to 1K. this will be my first time shooting beyond 600.

bdcochran
09-15-2011, 20:38
Went to Dr. today. Having problems with cancer removal a month ago. Keeping up the meds as best I can.

UneasyRider
09-15-2011, 20:56
Went to Dr. today. Having problems with cancer removal a month ago. Keeping up the meds as best I can.

Really sorry to hear about this. My wife got breast cancer (6 year survivor) when she was 42 and it was the worst year of our lives. I get the occasional skin cancer and have to have it removed so I go a couple of times a year for a complete body inspection. Cancer sucks.

Warp
09-15-2011, 22:05

Sorry to hear that.

Good luck and God bless.

Carry16
09-15-2011, 23:18
I too am sorry to hear of your situation. My wife went through breast cancer treatment this spring. Caught it early and had a lumectomy and mamosite radiation which we are hopeful was 100%. Some of the meds for the cancer and perhaps the diabetes as well seem to be clouding her memory and thought processes. She's 7 years my junior, but seems to be taking the brunt of the medical issues the past few years. Someone once said Life's a bitc*, and then you die. There may be some truth to that. Anyway, best of luck to you and yours.

M1A Shooter
09-16-2011, 00:49

my prayers are with you. Cancer runs heavy in my wife's family as well and i'm hoping it doesnt pass down to her.

SRT76
09-17-2011, 05:05

There are several websites out there that can teach you. Just google search and you'll be all set.

BORNGEARHEAD
09-17-2011, 12:57
I bought a few of the 80 led solar motion lights for the yard. They work great and are much brighter than I expected. I set them on the lightest sensitivity so even the dog trips them on.

bdcochran- Get better, man.

jdavionic
09-17-2011, 13:21

Sorry to hear that. Stay strong and my prayers are with you, my friend.

jdavionic
09-18-2011, 19:46
Not very exciting, but I went back through our entire family budget and identified some areas where improvements need to be made. It's been about a year since I went through this exercise. I just got frustrated. Recently we took it in the shorts to payoff a credit card...then next thing I know, we've got $1200 balance again :steamed: So we paid that off last week and are struggling again until pay day.

Anyway I wanted to know where all the money was going, what are the trends, where can we do better, etc. Interesting observations...gas expenditures went up over the past few years. No real surprise there. However the biggest surprise was food expenses. We are spending WAY too much on food...and we're not a big fat family. Our monthly food expense is just about the same as my monthly mortgage...which I found shocking. Our spending on food went up about 30%.

Fortunately we are nowhere near a negative cash flow. However we have other debt to pay off and we need to reduce expenses and pay off more debt. On groceries, we have a Sams Club membership but I hardly go there. So I think we need to look to use that membership more. There's an ALDI market near us, so I want to go there too. We currently buy most groceries from Publix.

We also spend a lot of money on cell phones. In 2 wks, the contract on my phone is up and my company has offered to pay for my phone. Out of the $200+, my phone is only $20...but every bit helps.

Also thinking of getting rid of our house phone. Has anyone done this? Any nuances to think about in doing that? It's $35 per month and seems like a waste. The only calls we seem to get a political calls, charities, etc.

Car insurance seems high too. We've got a young driver, 3 cars, etc...It's around $3600 per year. That seems high.

Oh well, like I said not the most exciting prep...but still worth doing.

bdcochran
09-18-2011, 19:49
When my son turned 16, I paid him $100 a month not to drive. It was a bargain!

Restless28
09-18-2011, 20:35
Not very exciting, but I went back through our entire family budget and identified some areas where improvements need to be made. It's been about a year since I went through this exercise. I just got frustrated. Recently we took it in the shorts to payoff a credit card...then next thing I know, we've got $1200 balance again :steamed: So we paid that off last week and are struggling again until pay day.

Anyway I wanted to know where all the money was going, what are the trends, where can we do better, etc. Interesting observations...gas expenditures went up over the past few years. No real surprise there. However the biggest surprise was food expenses. We are spending WAY too much on food...and we're not a big fat family. Our monthly food expense is just about the same as my monthly mortgage...which I found shocking. Our spending on food went up about 30%.

Fortunately we are nowhere near a negative cash flow. However we have other debt to pay off and we need to reduce expenses and pay off more debt. On groceries, we have a Sams Club membership but I hardly go there. So I think we need to look to use that membership more. There's an ALDI market near us, so I want to go there too. We currently buy most groceries from Publix.

We also spend a lot of money on cell phones. In 2 wks, the contract on my phone is up and my company has offered to pay for my phone. Out of the $200+, my phone is only $20...but every bit helps.

Also thinking of getting rid of our house phone. Has anyone done this? Any nuances to think about in doing that? It's $35 per month and seems like a waste. The only calls we seem to get a political calls, charities, etc.

Car insurance seems high too. We've got a young driver, 3 cars, etc...It's around $3600 per year. That seems high.

Oh well, like I said not the most exciting prep...but still worth doing.

Actually, in this economy, you may have worked on the most important preps-budgeting and debt reduction.

I'm with you on this.

UneasyRider
09-19-2011, 05:07
When my son turned 16, I paid him $100 a month not to drive. It was a bargain!

Very smart if he is anything like I was at that age. I have never heard of that solution before but it sure sounds like a winner.

quake
09-19-2011, 06:55
...Also thinking of getting rid of our house phone. Has anyone done this? Any nuances to think about in doing that? It's $35 per month and seems like a waste. The only calls we seem to get a political calls, charities, etc...
It's very common nowadays, and the trend is accelerating from what I can see. Most everyone has cell phones, and a home phone line is something that can be cut from the family budget with almost no pain whatsoever anymore. Only real "group" exception I've seen to that is older folks - an old couple, widow/widower, etc, tends to keep their home phone even if they do have a cell phone.

We have a lot of customers who no longer have a home landline; which complicates their security monitoring if nothing else. We can install a cellular transceiver on their system (which does have the benefit of not relying on an easily-cut landline), but it costs $200-$300, plus adds $10 to their monitoring fee; since we have to pay for the cellular number on that transceiver, we pass that cost on to the customer, no way around it. A couple years ago, maybe 5% of systems in our (very rural) area used cell monitoring; now probably 20%-25% of new installs use it, and I expect that number to continue to grow.

UneasyRider
09-19-2011, 07:28

We got rid of ours 5 or 6 years ago and never mis them. When I am in someones house and a phone rings I wonder why they put up with such an abnoxious inconvenience. Things change.

crimsonaudio
09-19-2011, 10:19
As we have kids around, we keep the land line for 911 (specifically for medical emergencies).

Kadetklapp
09-19-2011, 10:20
Packed away a few more meds and a few more cans.

kirgi08
09-19-2011, 11:15
We got rid of ours 5 or 6 years ago and never mis them. When I am in someones house and a phone rings I wonder why they put up with such an abnoxious inconvenience. Things change.

Kinda disagree with that,with the massive amount of cell use in this nation a landline may get thru in a situation/while cell towers are swamped.JMTCs/YMMV.Our basic lline is $24 a month.'08. :cool:

sebecman
09-19-2011, 12:19

I have posted of this in the past. There are websites that will teach you.

This past weekend we got 72 rolls of bounty papertowels for 4 cents a roll.

Added to the pile.:supergrin:

UneasyRider
09-19-2011, 12:24
As we have kids around, we keep the land line for 911 (specifically for medical emergencies).

FYI - 911 always works, even if you disconnect service. We keep a land line phone on the wall just for this purpose. The reverse is true too, a cell phone will always call 911.

sebecman
09-19-2011, 12:36
Kinda disagree with that,with the massive amount of cell use in this nation a landline may get thru in a situation/while cell towers are swamped.JMTCs/YMMV.Our basic lline is $24 a month.'08. :cool:

+1 and I don't own a cell phone. Land line only. Being "Connected" never interested me.

kirgi08
09-19-2011, 12:36
A cell will always call 911,if towers are available-yes.A home phone maybe,depends on the "gear" in your AO.The Cherokee nation in WNC just got "911" a few years back,it was a ld call ta Jackson CTY S/O before then.Most folk had "party" lines till then.'08.

Warp
09-19-2011, 12:47
+1 and I don't own a cell phone. Land line only. Being "Connected" never interested me.

I propose that you have never been connected and simply do not know what you are missing.

quake
09-19-2011, 13:07
FYI - 911 always works, even if you disconnect service. We keep a land line phone on the wall just for this purpose. The reverse is true too, a cell phone will always call 911.

A disconnected landline will call 911? Not saying you're wrong; I've never tried it, but when we discontinued service (some years ago now), we no longer even had a dial tone. Not sure how that would work...?

Warp
09-19-2011, 14:31
I've been shooting enough recently that my calluses are back and today I finally ponied up for a membership at a local range.

G29Reload
09-19-2011, 14:41
A disconnected landline will call 911? Not saying you're wrong; I've never tried it, but when we discontinued service (some years ago now), we no longer even had a dial tone. Not sure how that would work...?

No, a disconnected landline is a disconnected landline. Can. Not. Make. Calls.

A cell phone, taken out of service when you, say, upgrade to another and keep the old phone...so long as it is charged it will make a 911 call, even with not being in service or attached to any account. So long as it has juice and a signal, the masts are programmed to let the call go thru. JUST to 911.

UneasyRider
09-19-2011, 15:38
No, a disconnected landline is a disconnected landline. Can. Not. Make. Calls.

A cell phone, taken out of service when you, say, upgrade to another and keep the old phone...so long as it is charged it will make a 911 call, even with not being in service or attached to any account. So long as it has juice and a signal, the masts are programmed to let the call go thru. JUST to 911.

Give it a try. :tongueout: There is no dial tone but (I have not done it) it is supposed to work for 911 calls.

Link (http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2009/05/update-about-911-and-disconnected-landlines.html)

An up-to-date-list of affected states is elusive; we struck out in obtaining one from the FCC and some industry groups. However, the following are likely states for some form of soft-tone requirement; we assembled the list from data in an FCC report published in 2000 (Adobe Acrobat software required) and a North American Numbering Council (NANCE) report published in 2002 (link requires Microsoft Word or compatible word processing software).

Here they are:

Arizona
California
Colorado
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Iowa
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Montana
New York
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
Utah
Vermont
Washington
Wyoming

crimsonaudio
09-19-2011, 16:56
Cell phone or not, the benefit of a land line for 911 is you can dial and set the phone down and get to doing what you need to do to take care of a situation - if it's a land lane, they know where to send fire / rescue, etc.

Not to mention that, as stated above, having both cell and land lines is kinda like the old 'two is one...'

Warp
09-19-2011, 17:43
Cell phone or not, the benefit of a land line for 911 is you can dial and set the phone down and get to doing what you need to do to take care of a situation - if it's a land lane, they know where to send fire / rescue, etc.

Not to mention that, as stated above, having both cell and land lines is kinda like the old 'two is one...'

True. They can figure out where you are via a cell phone too, though it isn't as simple as having an address associated with the number on record.

We each have cell phones, of course, and a land line as well.

And a locally monitored alarm

Restless28
09-20-2011, 05:31
Paid off more debt. Back on track to be debt free ASAP.

sebecman
09-20-2011, 07:37
I propose that you have never been connected and simply do not know what you are missing.

You would be incorrect Sir.

I had one issued me at my previous job for 8 years. While I have never had a personal phone(ie payment) I was allowed and expected to carry that phone 24/7 and there was no limit on personal usage....I know full well what I am missing.

Granted it wasn't a "smart phone" but if the guys at my current job are any indicator the only thing I am missing is the ability to surf porn while at work safely.

:supergrin:

RWBlue
09-20-2011, 11:34
You would be incorrect Sir.

I had one issued me at my previous job for 8 years. While I have never had a personal phone(ie payment) I was allowed and expected to carry that phone 24/7 and there was no limit on personal usage....I know full well what I am missing.

Granted it wasn't a "smart phone" but if the guys at my current job are any indicator the only thing I am missing is the ability to surf porn while at work safely.

:supergrin:

If it wasn't a smart phone then it wasn't.

I had phones and pages and.....for a long time. I never used very many minutes. I occasionally made a phone call to get the weather or check in, but 99% of the time it was work related.

With the smart phones I am always using some tool on it. Weather, xls, docs. email, typing on GT....... When I stop being connected, it is like forgetting your wallet, I can get by, but....

callihan_44
09-20-2011, 19:05
Paid off more debt. Back on track to be debt free ASAP.

doing the same here, credit cards are history for me

Warp
09-20-2011, 20:54
If it wasn't a smart phone then it wasn't.

I had phones and pages and.....for a long time. I never used very many minutes. I occasionally made a phone call to get the weather or check in, but 99% of the time it was work related.

With the smart phones I am always using some tool on it. Weather, xls, docs. email, typing on GT....... When I stop being connected, it is like forgetting your wallet, I can get by, but....

Smart phones are the ****. They really, really are. Like the commercial campaign says....there's an app for that

A regular old cell phone that only calls and texts wouldn't be a quarter as useful to me as a smart phone

M1A Shooter
09-21-2011, 12:33
i have recently switched to a smart phone after years of thinking texts and calls was all i needed. now i can alot more. as already said above, i could go back but id feel like i was missing something. my biggest use is the internet now to look up stuff i see at auctions and sales. i do alot of buying and selling on the side now.

M1A Shooter
09-21-2011, 14:48
been canning alot of meat and dehydrating frozen vegetables from the freezer. need to make room for deer season to open in a couple days.

i now have 12lbs of hamburger and 6lbs of chicken breast thats shelf stable for a year at least. dehydrated 4lbs of peas, 4 lbs of diced potatoes and 2 lbs of sweet corn. vacuum sealed in mason jars with o2 absorbers.

bdcochran
09-21-2011, 16:39
I had purchased a couple of radios last week and batteries, printed the manuals, and stored the same in a clear plastic containers. Today, I went to onlybatteries.com. There are multiple explanations (Batteries and Battery Chargers for Dummies - my description) of chargers, solar, and batteries. I emailed what I wanted to accomplish and had a response within two hours explaining what products I would need. I purchased a slow trickle solar charger for aa/aaa batteries and a pile of nicad rechargable batteries.

The world of chargers, solar and types of batteries can be as confusing as figuring out what generator to buy. Such is why I appreciated that website and bought from it.

cowboy1964
09-21-2011, 19:21
The world of chargers, solar and types of batteries can be as confusing as figuring out what generator to buy. Such is why I appreciated that website and bought from it.

Is there any indication there of how long these solar chargers take to fully recharge batteries? I see nothing. I realize it's so variable, based on battery type and sunlight, etc, but they could at least give ballpark examples.

It takes my line-powered charger hours and hours to recharge on the Slow setting. I can imagine solar power would take a lot longer.

BORNGEARHEAD
09-21-2011, 22:51
Need more motivation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy3ICLYM3DY&feature=player_embedded

Warp
09-30-2011, 18:28
Bump from page 2.

One day I shall reload. I finally started saving some brass (.38/.357) earlier this year. Today I saved .45 for the first time and picked up a few buckets from Home Depot for storage. The big Ziploc baggies weren't cutting it anymore. It looks like I hardly have any when in a 5 gallon bucket vs a big Ziploc.

M1A Shooter
10-10-2011, 23:39
canned up 10lbs of hamburger, dehydrated 5lbs of apples and 5lbs of bananas.

got a marine combat tent for $6 and 6 Scepter MFCs for $9 at an auction. traded for another woodland military sleep system for an item i had less than $10 into.

tested some wolf ammo in my AR15 and ordered a case of it.

debating transforming my current 16" recce-type rifle to a 10.5" sbr.....

LongGun1
10-11-2011, 02:36
debating transforming my current 16" recce-type rifle to a 10.5" sbr.....

Also suppressed??

cowboy1964
10-11-2011, 11:05

It's called a "soft tone". 911 and 611 still work. Not all carriers do this but many do. They are only required to by law (depends on the state) for a certain period (like 14-30 days) after disconnection but many do it all the time. I would check with the phone company before I assumed I had full-time 911 access from a permantly disconnected landline.

M1A Shooter
10-11-2011, 11:56
Also suppressed??

i do plan on going suppressed with night vision capabilities eventually but most of that is out of my budget in the near future.

i also have a remington 700 AAC-SD that ive been wanting to get a can on. i figure if i go the sbr route, i can use the same can on both for now if i get a small .30 can. looking at a SDN-6?

LongGun1
10-11-2011, 13:51
i do plan on going suppressed with night vision capabilities eventually but most of that is out of my budget in the near future.

i also have a remington 700 AAC-SD that ive been wanting to get a can on. i figure if i go the sbr route, i can use the same can on both for now if i get a small .30 can. looking at a SDN-6?

Yea...the sooner the better...IMO! :supergrin:

The blast, flash & SPL on the SBR makes for spectacular Hollywood special effects..

..but they are brutal...more so inside a car..

.. or building...especially one of concrete...IME! :shocked:

BTW...Great choice of can...IMO! :thumbsup:

The SDN-6 http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=865 will be my next .30 cal can....(or maybe the 300-SD)

..likely not long after the paperwork (in process :upeyes:) clears on my (5.56) SPR/M4 http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=198

It would be really nice if AAC produces a .30 can that duplicates the features of the SPR/M4!!

That would be worth the extra green...IMO! :banana: