What have you done this week 2011 to prepare? [Archive] - Page 4 - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What have you done this week 2011 to prepare?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

LongGun1
10-12-2011, 00:02
As an addendum to my post above & relating to AR SBR..

..came across this video & thought it might be amusing/informational to anyone reading this! :rofl:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/?action=view&current=Bump-FireStock.mp4

Some really big guy you just might know online.. :whistling:

.. was doing a test of a new "bump-fire" stock a CII Mfg/SOT was thinking of stocking..

..and the CII decided to install it on a SBR just built...sans flash suppressor! :shocked:

Though the refresh rate of the camera phone is sucky..

..as well as the video/sound quality..

..that is 30 rounds in about 8 seconds..

..very different experience than with a 16" or 20"..(IME)

..would really hate to suddenly be 'on go' without good hearing protection....or a good suppressor! :sad:

Instant Tinnitus (or worse) anyone? ;)

DoctaGlockta
10-12-2011, 06:09
As an addendum to my post above & relating to AR SBR..

..came across this video & thought it might be amusing/informational to anyone reading this! :rofl:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/?action=view&current=Bump-FireStock.mp4

Some really big guy you just might know online.. :whistling:

.. was doing a test of a new "bump-fire" stock a CII Mfg/SOT was thinking of stocking..

..and the CII decided to install it on a SBR just built...sans flash suppressor! :shocked:

Though the refresh rate of the camera phone is sucky..

..as well as the video/sound quality..

..that is 30 rounds in about 8 seconds..

..very different experience than with a 16" or 20"..(IME)

..would really hate to suddenly be 'on go' without good hearing protection....or a good suppressor! :sad:

Instant Tinnitus (or worse) anyone? ;)

I picked up one of those stocks a couple of weeks ago. What are your thoughts on it's performance? I have never shot an actual FA before but thought this must be pretty close.

LongGun1
10-12-2011, 07:17
I picked up one of those stocks a couple of weeks ago. What are your thoughts on it's performance? I have never shot an actual FA before but thought this must be pretty close.

I shoot NFA (including FA) regularly..

(to be more accurate... almost exclusively :whistling:)

..& I was surprised how intuitive the operation of the stock actually is.

Singles, doubles, triples...or the whole mag was not a problem! :supergrin:

In the video...triples mostly...delivered to a target 90 yards distant.

That being said....to a neighbor or passerby..

..the rate of fire is indistinguishable from an "real" FA.

That can lead to issues of "Unintended Consequences"...IMO! :shocked:

I would always have the ATF Letter with the stock..

(also check for any adverse state or local regulations concerning ownership & use..

..for example & IIRC..a single "Dragon's Breath" 12 gauge round loaded in a shotgun in one state will earn you a felony conviction!!!)

..and until local LEO know who you are & what you are doing is legal..

.. would be a good idea to either call your local dispatcher..

..or have a LEO friend or two with you the first time or so you shoot it in an unfamiliar area.
Good idea to invite your neighbors within earshot over...or at least give them a heads up.

Don't assume LEO know the law. I continue to meet LEO that are clueless about NFA (who will swear civilian ownership of NFA does not exist ...in their mind...silencers are for mafia hitmen & machine guns are only for the military. Those with this mindset are very dangerous until educated.

I shudder at the thought of the LEO response in 2nd amendment unfriendly jurisdictions..

..& even some friendly ones!

IMO....LEO rolling up on site while "machine guns being fired"

.. can be a recipe for disaster..

..especially as the shooter(s) would be wearing hearing protection..

..and may be unable to hear "verbal commands". :upeyes:

The sound of 'something' behind the shooter may cause him to turn around..

..to the sight of guns drawn...or worse.

Will very likely be bad day for someone...

..so good idea to think ahead!

A lightweight FA capable suppressor would be a good SHTF pairing with the stock..

..to reduce your noise exposure for good effect...IMO!

"Remember....short controlled bursts" :rofl:

YMMV

DoctaGlockta
10-12-2011, 08:02
I shoot NFA (including FA) regularly..

(to be more accurate... almost exclusively :whistling:)

..& I was surprised how intuitive the operation of the stock actually is.

Singles, doubles, triples...or the whole mag was not a problem! :supergrin:

In the video...triples mostly...delivered to a target 90 yards distant.

That being said....to a neighbor or passerby..

..the rate of fire is indistinguishable from an "real" FA.

That can lead to issues of "Unintended Consequences"...IMO! :shocked:

I would always have the ATF Letter with the stock..

(also check for any adverse state or local regulations concerning ownership & use..

..for example & IIRC..a single "Dragon's Breath" 12 gauge round loaded in a shotgun in one state will earn you a felony conviction!!!)

..and until local LEO know who you are & what you are doing is legal..

.. would be a good idea to either call your local dispatcher..

..or have a LEO friend or two with you the first time or so you shoot it in an unfamiliar area.
Good idea to invite your neighbors within earshot over...or at least give them a heads up.

Don't assume LEO know the law. I continue to meet LEO that are clueless about NFA (who will swear civilian ownership of NFA does not exist ...in their mind...silencers are for mafia hitmen & machine guns are only for the military. Those with this mindset are very dangerous until educated.

I shudder at the thought of the LEO response in 2nd amendment unfriendly jurisdictions..

..& even some friendly ones!

IMO....LEO rolling up on site while "machine guns being fired"

.. can be a recipe for disaster..

..especially as the shooter(s) would be wearing hearing protection..

..and may be unable to hear "verbal commands". :upeyes:

The sound of 'something' behind the shooter may cause him to turn around..

..to the sight of guns drawn...or worse.

Will very likely be bad day for someone...

..so good idea to think ahead!

A lightweight FA capable suppressor would be a good SHTF pairing with the stock..

..to reduce your noise exposure for good effect...IMO!

"Remember....short controlled bursts" :rofl:

YMMV

Good advice. Only used it at in indoor range so far. Sure does attract attention. Thanks.

cowboy1964
10-12-2011, 11:51
I don't know of any range in this area where they would allow bump stock full auto. They don't even allow "rapid fire".

LongGun1
10-12-2011, 14:28
I don't know of any range in this area where they would allow bump stock full auto. They don't even allow "rapid fire".

Yea...the majority of ranges in my area are good to 'sight in' a firearm..

..basically static shooting from the bench or firing line and not much else...IME

The more practical & dynamic aspects of SHTF defensive/offensive shooting (shooting from cover, moving to cover with suppressive fire, moving while shooting, DMR/Precision Shooting, 180/360 degree shooting, rapid presentation from concealment, low light/night shooting, .50 BMG caliber usage, steel reactive targets, multiple torso targets for one shooter, UKD targets, long distance targets, NFA usage, use of specialty ammo & performance testing, 2 person or team concepts, variations of the above, etc...etc...etc) are highly verboten at most ranges! :whistling:

If you really like to shoot..

..or you want to train realistically..

(static shooting at a paper target with gun in hand is anything but realistic)

..best to get together with a like minded group of friends & build a private training facility.

It does not have to be fancy...just SAFE...for neighbors, shooters & bystanders.

Concerning the 'safe' comment..

..I will lend you one of my 'safety absolutes' concerning reactive (steel) shooting..

.."2 angles of deflection away from anyone or anything of value"

I have seen this "safety absolute" violated so...so...so...many times! :upeyes:

Like in this classic example... :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc

lawman800
10-12-2011, 15:51
The bump fire devices including this stock is illegal in CA for our own good. We will never know freedom here as long as the hippies are in charge.

bdcochran
10-13-2011, 14:35
In the last few weeks, I made the decision to try rechargable batteries (the ones 20 years ago weren't too good) and the concept of solar power. First, I picked up a AA/AAA solar charger and batteries.

In reading the reviews, I decidd to buy a solar light -S1 because the reviews said that you could read by its light. It would remain illuminated up to 4 hours. My new unit worked and will be packed away.

The second purchase was a solar powered camping lantern with backup hand crank. It is marketed by solarwholesaledirect.com and available on Amazon. 4 switch modes. Hand crank is supposed to be 1 minute lights up for 15 minutes. solar power charge of 10 hours is supposed to make the 8 leds powered for 10 hours. rechargable battery. It worked and will be put away.

jerry12
10-13-2011, 15:02
I have add two more new hand gun's in the last five months plus every month or so i buy more ammo to keep and build my stash. I am buying can food like beans & franks any thing that can be eaten out of the can. Last month i got two LED battery operated lanterns and some extra battery's. :innocent: I think it would be a good idea to get to know like minded people in your area if you can find any , you can have more protection if you have friends that think the way you think. I am thinking about one more hand gun or i may be better off getting a rifle or shotgun.

Warp
10-13-2011, 22:41
I've upped my shooting frequency considerably. I joined my local find, finally, and have been going at least weekly, often 2x per week. Groups are shrinking and speed is increasing.

LongGun1
10-14-2011, 01:36
Good advice. Only used it at in indoor range so far. Sure does attract attention. Thanks.

And I might add..

The BATFE has "reversed itself" on a similar product in the past..

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2006-2.pdf

..and may yet in the future concerning the "bump fire stock"! :whistling:

If they do....then technically you are in possession of an unregistered machine gun..

.... in essence.. an "instant federal felon"! :shocked:

YMMV

lawman800
10-14-2011, 01:44
Yes they did with the same stock that had the spring inside. So is you didn't use a credit card and bought it cash at a store or gun show, then you need to be the model citizen and turn yourself in because nobody would know otherwise!

kirgi08
10-14-2011, 03:22
:headscratch:

quake
10-15-2011, 20:56
Ordered parts & accessories (mags, springs, guide rod) for my old detonics mini-45. Was down to only two detonics factory mini-magazines, the recoil spring was somewhat old (ordered the factory triple-counterwound this time), and the guide rod is original; so it's probably 35 years old or so.

Just want to have all potential defensive guns up to full speed nowadays.

LongGun1
10-15-2011, 21:13
Ordered parts & accessories (mags, springs, guide rod) for my old detonics mini-45.

Have not heard Detonics mentioned in quite some time..

..might be an oldie..

..but also a goodie...IMO! :supergrin:

IIRC...a favorite of Jerry Ahern in his writings & real life.

LongGun1
10-15-2011, 21:15
Yes they did with the same stock that had the spring inside. So is you didn't use a credit card and bought it cash at a store or gun show, then you need to be the model citizen and turn yourself in because nobody would know otherwise!

But of course! :supergrin:

TangoFoxtrot
10-16-2011, 07:26
Just added a cord of hard wood to my alternate cooking source.

DoctaGlockta
10-16-2011, 09:32
:whistling:

DoctaGlockta
10-17-2011, 07:03
Rotated about 200 liters of fuel. Something I try and do every 6 months.

quake
10-23-2011, 20:58
Not today, but this week...

Tested the old Detonics combat master after picking it up from the shop. Had the extractor tuned, then installed new guide rod with new springs, and tried it out with a couple new mags I just received earlier this week. I'd forgotten how much I like the little .45; after running a few mags thru it, I ordered another set of springs and three more of the short little magazines. Their availability has been spotty over the last 20-25 years, and seems like a good idea to "get my house in order" on this particular gun while factory parts are available now. Detonics has appeared & disappeared multiple times, they've already discontinued the scoremaster, servicemaster and OS models, and no telling about future availability - this could well be their last appearance on the scene. Seems like a good time to stock up. Some of the magazines will go into storage (after testing), along with the spare guide rod, recoil spring plug, and springs.

Took a neighbor boy and his fiancee shooting on friday, her first time to shoot centerfire rifles & carbines. She's pretty small and they were wanting to find her a gun that she could use for her first time deer hunting this year, so we tried several smallish guns including a couple .357 carbines (one scoped, one with red-dot), a scoped .45LC carbine, a scouterized weatherby carbine in .308, and a CAR-15. She settled on my little scoped .357 carbine, and we got her set up with it and some XTP handloads of mine. Neighbor boy (actually a college student, but I still tend to see him & his twin brother as little boys...) was very grateful, plus it was good to start another shooter/hunter "down the path" so to speak.

Also ordered a couple ten-packs of milspec AR-15 magazines from dsg arms; on sale for only $85 per ten-pack (including magpul followers), & ordered one each of three different AR mags to try out; magpul polymer mags that I've not had before.

DoctaGlockta
10-24-2011, 20:08
Also ordered a couple ten-packs of milspec AR-15 magazines from dsg arms; on sale for only $85 per ten-pack (including magpul followers), & ordered one each of three different AR mags to try out; magpul polymer mags that I've not had before.

That is a decent deal. I've been wanting order some AR mags for a while. Placed order today. Thanks.

lawman800
10-24-2011, 20:17
I like that deal... May do it even though I have quite a bit in the bag still.

M1A Shooter
10-24-2011, 23:17
loaded 300 9mm rounds on friday night and 400 more tonight. all on a single stage press. i think a progressive is going to be in my near future.

kirgi08
10-25-2011, 07:51
I wish we had the room ta reload.I'd pester Steve and Jack ta death if I had he space.'08. :sad:

phil evans
10-25-2011, 11:29
i now reload on a 2'x2' craftsman wheeled 6 drawer tool chest in my garage.
rcbs rock chucker, milwaukee electric driver drill, etc.
6 drawers hold all the components and the stuff to reload.
3/4" plywood work space top.
press - bolted to 2x6x24" and tempoarily held across top with two 6" C clamps.
balance powder measure, etc., resting on top.

i've done it for 15 years,
i used to have 1/2 of the garage.

if there is a will.
there is a way.

DoctaGlockta
10-25-2011, 11:57
I wish we had the room ta reload.I'd pester Steve and Jack ta death if I had he space.'08. :sad:

Lee Thigh Master. No excuses mate.

M1A Shooter
10-25-2011, 14:25
im lucky to have a spare bedroom/office my wife has deemed "man land"

its the only place in the house she has not decorated and really doesnt want to go into. gunsafe, desk with black leather office chair, reloading equipment, my long term storage stuff and a radio. what more do you need?

its very comforting to me to be at my desk with my radio going surrounded by buckets of food, bottles of water and shelves of other prep stuff.

phil evans
10-25-2011, 15:51
im lucky to have a spare bedroom/office my wife has deemed "man land"

its the only place in the house she has not decorated and really doesnt want to go into. gunsafe, desk with black leather office chair, reloading equipment, my long term storage stuff and a radio. what more do you need?

its very comforting to me to be at my desk with my radio going surrounded by buckets of food, bottles of water and shelves of other prep stuff.

that's really really neat,
wish i had a closet for the good stuff.
long term, short term, and daily, needs to be inventoried and acknowledged.
everyone acknowledging preps is 3/4th the bickering/not happening battle.

quake
10-25-2011, 17:45
...what more do you need?...

As Mitch would have said, "wimmens". :supergrin:

quake
10-29-2011, 19:12
Finally figured out the cause of a gun problem I'd been having. Old detonics mini-1911 had recently started having issues and after experimenting, turned out it was actually two problems - bad magazine (which I suspected), and a worn-out slide stop; acting up in concert to complicate the troubleshooting. Replaced the slide stop & marked the one bad magazine, and all is good. Can't get it to malfunction now even when using just a two-finger hold, intentionally trying to create a malfunction. One hundred percent function, one hundred percent slide-lock on last round, etc; all good. I've never had to replace a slide stop on a 1911 before; took me a while to figure out that that was part of the problem.

Sounds silly, but I've had this gun almost as long as I've had my wife - it was my primary defensive gun before I switched to glocks in the late 90's, and I didn't want to give up on it.

When all that was in order, I ordered a ten-pack of wilson 1911 magazines to close out "the month of the 1911" that I'd been having.

Had the weld on my son's CAR-15 flash-hider checked by a second gunsmith - I'd had a new vortex flashhider welded on and wanted a second opinion on it to make sure it would pass atf muster as "permanent". All seems good - he's out with it now, checking some maglevel magazines I just received - we've used nothing but milspec ar mags before now.

Got the results of a family member's well water test I'd sent off to have tested a few weeks ago. Looks like their issues can be resolved with a simple big berkey; so guess what they're getting for christmas...

Busy couple of weeks, but it feels surprisingly good to have the detonics back to trustworthy status - after thinking it might be a lost cause, it's almost like finding a lost dog that I thought might be gone forever.

fnfalguy
10-30-2011, 20:59
New Serpa holster for me!

lawman800
10-30-2011, 21:57
I can't conceal the serpa. Sticks out way too much for me.

M1A Shooter
10-31-2011, 09:32
set an appointment with a local engraver and got the paperwork started to SBR my rifle :)

kirgi08
10-31-2011, 10:00
:headscratch:

DoctaGlockta
10-31-2011, 11:21
:headscratch: I thought one had to get information engraved on the receiver of a newly constructed SBR.

kirgi08
10-31-2011, 12:03
With respects,I honestly don't know.I can't even fathom a class "3" weapon.'08.

M1A Shooter
10-31-2011, 12:14
wanting to go with a 10.5" AR15 so its a bit more maneuverable.

DoctaGlockta
10-31-2011, 12:36
wanting to go with a 10.5" AR15 so its a bit more maneuverable.
Curious to know how cumbersome the paperwork is. I have been eyeing a PTR pistol chambered in 308 that would be a cinch to convert to SBR.

M1A Shooter
10-31-2011, 13:05
i found a local guy who can engrave my name, city and state on my lower for $12. then its a form 1 to the BATFE with $200 for the stamp and then wait. i was told by my NFA dealer that the current wait time is almost 5 months. that means i'll probably take the winter off from shooting it since im selling my upper to fund the swap.

codecowboy
10-31-2011, 22:15
Did a buddy a favor last week and did a rush rebuild of his laptop for him. Started at 6:30pm and finished a little before 1am. Next day he shows up and hands me a $100 gift card to Sam's Club.

Hmmm...what can I get at Sam's Club for $100?

Answer:

100 lbs of rice.
70 lbs of beans.

I all ready have mylar bags and buckets. Tomorrow will be another sealing party for me.

G29Reload
10-31-2011, 23:01
Final smackdown of the season with a bug grenade in the attic to wipe out the stinkbugs that made it in thru soffit vents.

Now, to move the successfully tested 33' wire dipole up to the attic as a stealth 20 meter half-wave antenna for my HAM station. Last outing with it in the backyard I set personal records, reaching Spokane, WA, Cuero, TX and Puerto Rico on less than 100 watts upper sideband…from N. Virginia.

Then run the feedline down into my shack.

Having an indoor attic antenna offers the ability to operate in the rain, since being inside the antenna won't de-tune from moisture, and complete stealth since it won't be visible from the outside. Since 1/4 wave (16+ feet) is minimum optimal height for that frequency, the attic should rock since the peak is 22'.

I pulled out one of my BOBs and did an equipment check, with a refresher on how my BlastMatch works…used it to light the fireplace. Check!

Found one of my Gerber battery op portable lights is TU, battery fail (leak) a lighter needed re-charging…but everything else seems ok.

LongGun1
11-01-2011, 08:43
i found a local guy who can engrave my name, city and state on my lower for $12. then its a form 1 to the BATFE with $200 for the stamp and then wait. i was told by my NFA dealer that the current wait time is almost 5 months. that means i'll probably take the winter off from shooting it since im selling my upper to fund the swap.

Yep.....5 $%@# months! :crying:

As for me...

Looking for my next 'NFA Christmas' in March! :banana:

I guess I need to get back to my Ozark 'Peak Color Follage' Motorcycle Ride..

.. to get my mind off of the wait! :supergrin:

callihan_44
11-01-2011, 15:56
just put 100lbs of fresh deer meat in the freezer, more to come

M1A Shooter
11-01-2011, 21:30
Yep.....5 $%@# months! :crying:

As for me...

Looking for my next 'NFA Christmas' in March! :banana:

I guess I need to get back to my Ozark 'Peak Color Follage' Motorcycle Ride..

.. to get my mind off of the wait! :supergrin:

glad you finally got that trip started.

next NFA item will either be a integral 10/22 or a .308 can for both of my rifles to share...

LongGun1
11-02-2011, 09:31
glad you finally got that trip started.

So am I! :thumbsup:

Only 3 days in the Ozarks...

..but turned out to be my best ride of the year! :supergrin:

Late yesterday afternoon in Elk Valley outside of Ponca.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/2011JasperPeakFolageRide026.jpg

The view I am enjoying right now after a late breakfast..

..due to a crisp cool early morning ride.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/2011JasperPeakFolageRide005.jpg

M1A Shooter
11-02-2011, 12:06
the natchez trace area SW of nashville is just as pretty. reminded me alot of my earlier hiking in the Ozarks of S. MO.

bdcochran
11-02-2011, 19:38
I have had dental problems for a number of years. This week, I finished all dental work, whether root canal, extraction, implant, filling or whatever. It doesn't mean that I will not have problems in the future, just that if shtf tomorrow, I don't start with a handicap.

After many years, I finished sorting, listing, inventorying, getting rid of personal possessions. Basically, I am retiring without having a mess piled up in the house or garage. My older brother retired last year and still hasn't cleaned out room one and probably never will.

My focus is on obtaining good exercise everyday, learning new skills, and avoiding buying more things.

pugman
11-08-2011, 09:01
I've restarted my work out regiment (actually did about two weeks ago).

Even after a 3 year depature, I'm surprised how quickly I'm getting back up to speed (actually distance since I focused on LD running for my cardio)

SRT76
11-09-2011, 20:34
I layered in probably 3 months of food. Too bad it was all trick-or- treat candy!

GEEZ who thought 4 kids could collect that much booty!?

silentpoet
11-11-2011, 21:56
I guess it is prep related, I passed my IV validation and foley cath validation this week. Also finished, pretty much, my welding cart. I want to do one more weld, but it is a rolling functional piece. And I only have about 12 dollars in it since I already had the metal to make it. Did buy new wheels for it and nuts to mount the wheels.

LongGun1
11-12-2011, 01:40
the natchez trace area SW of nashville is just as pretty. reminded me alot of my earlier hiking in the Ozarks of S. MO.

I have ridden some of the "The Trace" in Mississippi..

..but have not gotten nearly that far northeast...yet!

I might try that this upcoming spring! :supergrin:

As far as my prepping this week...

Umm....Early Christmas Present ordered just now! :whistling:

A..... 2nd..... AAC SPR/M4.... & Blackout M.I.T.E.R mount/brake... :banana:

http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial/Advanced-Armament-AAC-SPRM4-5-56-Suppressor

http://vimeo.com/4204331

...& if I am lucky it should arrive by the end of the year.. :popcorn:

..and then the paperwork should clear by May 2012! :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hoping to have the 1st in my hands by March 2012!

Just in time for some fairly quiet, night time 'Tactical Hog Eradication' sessions!

Kadetklapp
11-15-2011, 08:16
This fall I've been spending a lot of time learning and doing my own gunsmithing, something I've not been confident in doing before. I've found it to be fun, relaxing, and a relief to be able to fix little things on my firearms myself...

Tom Kanik
11-15-2011, 08:42
Picked up more canned foods, dog food, bought more .45L/C ammo, and the wife and I did a little target practice out back.

UneasyRider
11-15-2011, 08:51
Ordered a keyless lock without a back up key, no lock picking, and a frame length strike with accessories to harden the handsets and hinges on my steel front entry door.

http://www.sunnectlock.com/images/B001RTSSZC-1-sm.jpg

and this:

http://www.asafehome.net/sg_strikemaster-ii-pro_media/d4517strikemasterillustrati.jpg

sebecman
11-15-2011, 09:54
I like that strike plate, good idea....

Sportsmansguide is running some good deals on ammo this week- picked up case of 500 wolf .223 for $99 minus a 10 dollar coupon code.

Also been trucking along on the extreme couponing - we picked up $125 worth of muffin/cookie mixes, canned veg., hamburger helper and instant potatos for $46.

TangoFoxtrot
11-15-2011, 13:09
Picked up more ammo and mags.

RWBlue
11-15-2011, 13:19
Ordered a keyless lock without a back up key, no lock picking, and a frame length strike with accessories to harden the handsets and hinges on my steel front entry door.

http://www.sunnectlock.com/images/B001RTSSZC-1-sm.jpg

and this:

http://www.asafehome.net/sg_strikemaster-ii-pro_media/d4517strikemasterillustrati.jpg

What happens when the batter goes dead or there is an EMP or....?
Does it lock you out or open up?
Do you have another way in if it locks you out?

UneasyRider
11-15-2011, 13:29
I like that strike plate, good idea....

It started when I bought a couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees that don't use a key to enter or start a couple of weeks ago. Then I realized that I would like to go completely keyless with something on my entry door but every lock that I saw had a back up key (which had a corresponding youtube video on how to pick it in seconds) or was a thin European lock that had a plastic plate to cover the standard U.S. deadbolt hole except one, and it had a cool video of somebody shooting it with a .40s&w repeatedly and yet it still worked. Sold.

But in the course of this I learned that burglers don't bother with locks they just kick in the door because force to the strike plate just tears out the frame. Years ago I replaced my standard 1/2" screws with Tapcon 3" screws but I wanted more, thus this giant strike plate with lots of 3" screws plus longer screws into the door hinges on both the door and frame.

sebecman
11-15-2011, 13:39
But in the course of this I learned that burglers don't bother with locks they just kick in the door because force to the strike plate just tears out the frame. Years ago I replaced my standard 1/2" screws with Tapcon 3" screws but I wanted more, thus this giant strike plate with lots of 3" screws plus longer screws into the door hinges on both the door and frame.

I use a deadbolt and hardwood brace when we are home and I seriously doubt anyone could kick that door in before I am awake and armed.

That said, when no one is home there is no way to use the deadbolt and brace.

I just googled this product and see that Home Depot sells it...I will buy it this week.

Thanks again for the post. :cool:

UneasyRider
11-15-2011, 13:45
I use a deadbolt and hardwood brace when we are home and I seriously doubt anyone could kick that door in before I am awake and armed.

That said, when no one is home there is no way to use the deadbolt and brace.

I just googled this product and see that Home Depot sells it...I will buy it this week.
Thanks again for the post. :cool:

It's only $75 on Amazon.com and if you are Amazon Prime free next day shipping. Check out the lock there too under used they are selling new ones with damaged packaging for half price. Sunnectlock AB501.

Click here to see the bullet test video (http://www.sunnectlock.com/video9.html)

UneasyRider
11-15-2011, 13:59

In normal times there are two pins on the exterior bottom where you touch a 9v battery to power the lock when the 4AAs go dead.

The default position is lock and it is auto locking in case you forget. This is motor controlled on the inside so it's not going to be easy to get past it.

In an EMP you replace it with your old mechanical lock if it goes down... it's done.

Yes I have another way in that would be a PITA but could be done (my next project). Good point though because the more I harden my doors and windows, garage door, the harder it would be for me to break in. I'll have to think of a way to do it, but it won't be the front door if this lock fails.

Warp
11-15-2011, 21:59
It's only $75 on Amazon.com and if you are Amazon Prime free next day shipping. Check out the lock there too under used they are selling new ones with damaged packaging for half price. Sunnectlock AB501.

Click here to see the bullet test video (http://www.sunnectlock.com/video9.html)

Free second day shipping. ;)

UneasyRider
11-16-2011, 05:45
Free second day shipping. ;)

You are right Warp, it's Free Second Day Shipping. My entire family seems to have subscribed to Prime because like most of us we shop online for just about everthing. Need nail clippers for the dog? Got some good ones on Amazon for $3.99 on sale, with free second day shipping. How can you pass that up?

DoctaGlockta
11-16-2011, 09:24
You are right Warp, it's Free Second Day Shipping. My entire family seems to have subscribed to Prime because like most of us we shop online for just about everthing. Need nail clippers for the dog? Got some good ones on Amazon for $3.99 on sale, with free second day shipping. How can you pass that up?

Prime is one of the best deals online you can get IMO. It costs me more in gas to get to the store and back home for a lot of items. I can get amazon to deliver in two days. Their prime video service is not great but it comes included as well.

sebecman
11-16-2011, 09:34

Thanks, I am a Prime member and we use Amazon for a lot of stuff, diapers being a big one. Also all the kids clothes and most toys, etc.

We buy A LOT online.....not just Amazon but others (I am a 1800+ feedback on eBay) BUT - call me old fashoined - Sometimes it's nice to hold something in your hands before buying it..

Home Depot has it for $79 and I am going there for paint anyway so will check it out when there.

Thanks again.

Warp
11-16-2011, 12:07

I agree. As a student I got prime benefits for free for a year. I then renewed for $39 for the next year.

Very nice. And it did what they wanted...I look to Amazon first for all kinds of things now.

M1A Shooter
11-18-2011, 17:29
just added
10/22, 2200 rounds of .22lr, 100 rounds of 12ga 00buck, 100 rounds of 12ga bird shot, 3 more months of TP, 6 months of laundry and dish detergent, cat litter, and some groceries. will be aking another trip to sams club to add 6 months of cat and dog food.

kirgi08
11-18-2011, 18:15
Make sure your soap is liquid,powdered does things ta plumbing.'08.

M1A Shooter
11-18-2011, 18:35
i always use liquid as ive had issues with powder clumping when in storage and not dissolving fully when used.

UneasyRider
11-18-2011, 18:56

I always use liquid and I stock a ton of it for dishes and laundry in case we lose electricity, I really like to be clean.

wjv
11-27-2011, 15:19
Not too exciting, but after living in the Pacific NW for 11 years, I bought two new jackets.

- mid-weight heavily water resistant
- light-weight shell with hood. Rubberized material so it is 100% water proof

G29Reload
11-27-2011, 17:08

I have one that I bought at HD for 100 bucks. Love it.

It has a key backup. It runs on AA cells, but they won't go out in an instant, you would hear them winding down. I can always get my keys out if needed and use it that way.

The codes are changeable, so you can remotely let a friend in while youre out of town. The key is the code, just tell him!

If someone becomes a problem, you lock them out by changing the code! Great if you have GF turnover problems.

G29Reload
11-27-2011, 17:10

NEver heard of it doing stuff to plumbing, but for clothes if you were doing stuff by hand, you don't have to work extra hard to get it dissolved.

UneasyRider
11-27-2011, 17:18
I have one that I bought at HD for 100 bucks. Love it.

It has a key backup. It runs on AA cells, but they won't go out in an instant, you would hear them winding down. I can always get my keys out if needed and use it that way.

The codes are changeable, so you can remotely let a friend in while youre out of town. The key is the code, just tell him!

If someone becomes a problem, you lock them out by changing the code! Great if you have GF turnover problems.

Unfortunately if you look up your lock being picked or bumped on youtube it's a piece of cake using the backup key cylinder.

kirgi08
11-27-2011, 17:31
NEver heard of it doing stuff to plumbing, but for clothes if you were doing stuff by hand, you don't have to work extra hard to get it dissolved.

It leaves a build up in the pipes.'08.

Tucson_1
11-28-2011, 21:23
I picked a large roll of duct tape, a compass, 550 rounds of high velocity .22 lr hollow points, and a 2 liter water bladder. I also studied up on some bushcraft techniques.

quake
11-29-2011, 07:36
Not this week, but gradually over the past couple months, I discovered MOLLE; or better said - I accepted MOLLE. I knew it was there of course, but never had messed with it. I despise ALICE attachments, and have despised it since I had to use it in the service more than 30 years ago; so I stuck with civilian gear for personal use ever since.

Then when looking for some additional AR mag carriers, I bought my first molle item, a 5.11 "stacked double" four-mag carrier. While it's molle, the 5.11 slickstick system lets you use it on a regular belt as well, so I tried it. Since then, I've really come to appreciate the system and have gradually started piecing things together, including for my yeti sons. They're getting rifle mags & mag carriers for christmas.

jdavionic
11-30-2011, 17:31
Just another boring prep. Dental checkup and cleaning. Some time ago I posted results of many years of neglect. It took me some time to repair the damage and get on the right track again. I vowed never to let that happen again. Since then, I have been meticulous about brushing, flossing, using brush picks, etc.

Now, my gums are perfectly healthy and no issues with the teeth. Dental implant has been long installed and is fine.

Not as exciting as ammo, guns, food stashed, etc. However, let your teeth go without proper care and you will quickly discover how important they are.
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

sebecman
12-01-2011, 10:20
Bought some more Mountain House last night. Just one case but got free shipping.

Also bought 4 more ammo cans and some misc stuff off SG.com

We are planning a big haul for this weekend at the grocery store, most of the Thanksgiving related items are marked down....stuffing, canned gravy, yams etc.

cowboy1964
12-01-2011, 10:29
Finally getting serious about putting together a decent BOB. It's a lot of work piecing everything together.

quake
12-01-2011, 13:01
Got the floor poured (finally) in a family member's new saferoom/storm-cellar. Should have been done weeks ago, but weather & scheduling kept things dragging out.

Next is the poured ceiling - hopefully soon - and then we can start finishing out the inside; electrical & such.

Warp
12-01-2011, 14:55
Took my mother handgun shooting. She enjoyed it and thinks she wants a pink revolver that would fit in her purse. She has only fired a semi and my GP100 though. I'll have to get her behind my 642 soon.

LongGun1
12-01-2011, 23:49
Some of the overtime generated last week is going into upgrading & supplementing some material preps.

So today, I ordered an Osprey, a Sparrow ..

..& an a spare AR Lower from a new mfg I am related to (& a low serial number :))

The Silencerco Osprey (in .40/10mm).... http://www.silencerco.com/

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n273/fireman1291/silencerco_osprey_7.jpg

The Silencerco Sparrow (but mine will have an 5.7x28mm FN adapter)..... http://www.silencerco.com/

http://www.tacticalnfa.com/images/silencerco-22-sparrow.gif

The Osprey will supplement the AWC Ti Abraxas on a G19..

.. also will use a G20 as a 10MM Subsonic and .40 S&W platform.

The Sparrow will replace the AWC LSS on a 5.7 pistol.

Hopefully sometime Summer 2012 the paperwork for both should be approved! :whistling:

Will be demoing a Gen III+ PVS-14A for a out-of-state CII/SOT relative tomorrow night..

..if all checks out ok we will have another 'night capable' in the family! :supergrin:

And got in some NFA trigger time this week! :)

LASTRESORT20
12-02-2011, 00:00
more "assorted" 12 gauge ammo....5lbs of Blue-dot....more Kerosene "stock"...spring kits for the 9mm & 10mm....another 12 volt battery.....more canned food/ fruit/meat....and ya..went to the dentist for a good fix....extra Rubber-bands for the sling-shot`s....and a few extra cans of lubricant.

LongGun1
12-03-2011, 05:04
Will be demoing a Gen III+ PVS-14A for a out-of-state CII/SOT relative tomorrow night..

..if all checks out ok we will have another 'night capable' in the family! :supergrin:

All checked out, purchased & in possession! :supergrin:

He & his young family went thru a bad time with massive tornado damage and resulting loss of life in their area earlier this year..

..along with looters, total darkness... grid was toast for an extended period, etc..

..& that experience was the nexus driving this purchase!

RWBlue
12-03-2011, 10:00
Caught a head cold, bought lots of drugs.

lawman800
12-03-2011, 10:16
Bought 9 knives from Cold Steel last week during their annual parking lot sale. Yes, lots of knives help you survive!

(That almost rhymes)

racerford
12-03-2011, 15:42
..........Also bought 4 more ammo cans and some misc stuff off SG.com

SG.com ??????? No comprende

lawman800
12-03-2011, 17:14
Sportsmansguide.com

racerford
12-03-2011, 17:24
Sportsmansguide.com

Thanks. Strangely I have been a lot of places on the net.... but not there.

sebecman
12-03-2011, 18:14
Thanks. Strangely I have been a lot of places on the net.... but not there.

Yep thanks Lawman.

Sportsmansguide is great, I buy a lot from them. The membership is 40 bucks a year and gets you 5% off everything, they send coupon codes to you all teh time for free shipping($15) or 10% off your order etc. Good stuff and great prices. The have a huge Mil Surplus selection. check em out!

BORNGEARHEAD
12-03-2011, 19:08
SG.com ??????? No comprende

Prolly SGammo.com Good price on a spam can of 7.62x39.

Tom Kanik
12-04-2011, 12:41
Ordered a short barrel for my Remington 870 and more magazine pouches, and bought more cans of the Remington spray oil w/teflon. Received another 250 rounds for my M1 carbine and 100 more for my .45 L/C. Bought more canned goods and bottled water.:cool:

bdcochran
12-04-2011, 13:06
Pulled out the binos and tripods. Grimly, 1. cleaned the binos; 2. tried to find replacement lens covers/caps and adaptors on line; 3. send emails of inquiry and orders; 4. divided the units into types and put in plastic storage containers awaiting replacement parts.

I know that there are studs who can calmly hold a pair of binos steady and gaze through them for a few minutes at a crack. Unfortunately, I am past those days and rely upon proper stablizing equipment for optics.:faint:

Warp
12-07-2011, 14:53
I received a Maxpedition mini pocket organizer today. I intend to carry it always as I wear kakis or similar with cargo pockets 99% of the time.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Mini-Pocket-Organizer-7p1559.htm

I thought I wanted a micro but went with the mini as it was all that I could find in stock. I am glad I did. It really isn't that big. It fills up really quick, though. I may report back after some time carrying it, RE: How bulky it is in my cargo pocket, etc.

So far I have fed it:

-Old but functional pair of eye glasses (the most important item)
-3x bandaids, 2x gauze pads, butterfly bandage, 2x clean/sanitizing wipes (in compressed ziploc)
-2x CR123 batteries
-10x 200mg ibuprofen (in going gear/giocaching style metal tube)
-peanut lighter
-nail clippers
-pen
-a few pages out of a rite in the rain 3x5 notebook
-Will probably add some zip ties, a micro size leatherman, a little paracord and/or duct tape

The thing fills up quickly. The glasses (in an old Oakley brand microfiber sleeve thingy) really take up a lot of space. The micro 'first aid' stuff does as well. Adding more stuff, (haven't worn it loaded yet) will probably be a matter of finding useful items that fit into the pockets of unused space that exist within the items already in place.

inzone
12-07-2011, 15:02
ordered another wooden crate of 7.62 54 surplus..... I store this stuff as my ETOW ammo!

bdcochran
12-07-2011, 18:30
I received two 180 lumen flashlights.
I ordered lens caps for binos and tripod adaptors. The intent is to put good binos with a tripod and adaptor into study plastic container with manual - several times over.
I am starting on a project of building a 5 gallon filtration system for under $50.

Ramjet38
12-07-2011, 18:48
Bought two wool blankets from Cheaper-Than-Dirt along wiith ammo for Christmas presents for my son and son-in-law.

Warp
12-07-2011, 19:38
My mini pocket organizer already paid a dividend. I am amazed. We just went to dinner and the waitress left the bill (after swiping card) to be signed...but no pen. And no employee was close by + my wife had no pen in her purse...but I had one. :)

NDCent
12-08-2011, 19:22
Added more LTS from LDS last week. This week added Saf Yeast, granulated bouillon, and lots of store brand jello.

Cali-Glock
12-09-2011, 15:26
This week was a culmination of some work:

1) finished the wiring to power my house with a generator
2) replaced my 20+ year old hand me down generator with a new 8kw Ridgid (Subaru)
3) my new Peltor Tactical Pro amplified muffs arrived
4) 4k+ rounds of ammo arrived
5) recieved confirmation of my registration for a 4 day pistol class at Front Sight next month
6) picked up my CHL
7) most importantly the Christmas gifts I ordered online for my wife have been arriving all week!

:-)

Good week!

Pretty good week

LongGun1
12-10-2011, 13:03
This week was a culmination of some work:

1) finished the wiring to power my house with a generator
2) replaced my 20+ year old hand me down generator with a new 8kw Ridgid (Subaru)
3) my new Peltor Tactical Pro amplified muffs arrived
4) 4k+ rounds of ammo arrived
5) recieved confirmation of my registration for a 4 day pistol class at Front Sight next month
6) picked up my CHL
7) most importantly the Christmas gifts I ordered online for my wife have been arriving all week!

:-)

Good week!

Pretty good week

Nice Week!! :thumbsup:

quake
12-10-2011, 14:44
Picked up a pistol that I normally wouldn't have; a smith 5906. It violates the "all my glocks are 9mm and all my 9mm's are glock" decision I've stuck to for years; but the price was too good, having the old camp-9 carbine meant I already have 15-18 magazines for it, and the deal itself was too good. CDNN has them at $299, and the local gunshsop owed us $288 - obviously the gods wanted me to buy a 5906, and who am I to flout the will of the gods..?:cool: Other than as a magazine-match for the camp-9, I really don't have a use for this gun, but once I come to trust it it may become my desk gun.

When I showed our guys the catalog, our youngest employee (just turned 22 this past week) ordered one as well; his first handgun.

Weather delays on the safe room (for a family member) continue. Footings, walls, and floor are poured; the ceiling 'should' be poured this coming week, weather permitting. It's more of a storm cellar than safe room in function, but it's substantially bigger than a typical storm cellar (21'x22'); so "safe room" is what they've come to call it.

Lone Kimono
12-10-2011, 16:40
Picked up a pistol that I normally wouldn't have; a smith 5906. It violates the "all my glocks are 9mm and all my 9mm's are glock" decision I've stuck to for years; but the price was too good, having the old camp-9 carbine meant I already have 15-18 magazines for it, and the deal itself was too good. CDNN has them at $299, and the local gunshsop owed us $288 - obviously the gods wanted me to buy a 5906, and who am I to flout the will of the gods..?:cool: Other than as a magazine-match for the camp-9, I really don't have a use for this gun, but once I come to trust it it may become my desk gun.

When I showed our guys the catalog, our youngest employee (just turned 22 this past week) ordered one as well; his first handgun.

Weather delays on the safe room (for a family member) continue. Footings, walls, and floor are poured; the ceiling 'should' be poured this coming week, weather permitting. It's more of a storm cellar than safe room in function, but it's substantially bigger than a typical storm cellar (21'x22'); so "safe room" is what they've come to call it.

I love the 5906. I don't think you will be unhappy with it.

LongGun1
12-10-2011, 18:04
We honored Pearl Harbor Day... :patriot:

3 former/current military relatives & I spent Pearl Harbor Day from that evening until sunup around a rural campfire in sub-freezing weather passing military experiences & war stories...

..with breaks employing NVD & shooting suppressed weapons! :supergrin:

One was a Presidential Guard under Bush II and later Marine Force Recon (Scout) Sniper in Afghanistan .
Truly impressive amount of training, including SERE

Another was a National Guard Combat Engineer... Sapper School graduate who also served in Afghanistan

One a newly commissioned USAF 2nd Lt

And me.

One of our (late) great uncles fought the island campaigns all the way to Japan during WWII..

..never will forget the stories he related about the sacrifices made then!

Made for one memorable experience..

..hopefully will become a yearly tradition! :)

sebecman
12-14-2011, 09:48
Sportsmansguide has got to stop sending me free shipping coupons.

Last week they send one for free shipping off order of $99 or more....I bought ammo.

Then they send one for free shipping off order of $49 or more....I bought ammo.

Yesterday they send one for free shipping off order with no order limit!....I bought ammo!!

:faint:

volsbear
12-14-2011, 11:07
They'll continue to send you those for as long as you use them LOL

sebecman
12-14-2011, 12:03
They'll continue to send you those for as long as you use them LOL

Craziness I tell ya. :supergrin::cool:

Tom Kanik
12-23-2011, 01:21
I received some Israeli bandages and made a couple sheaths for my new Busse knives. Added some more canned goods.

LongGun1
12-23-2011, 09:30
..... and made a couple sheaths for my new Busse knives.

:needspics:

:supergrin:

thejellster05
12-23-2011, 21:56
Boring but much needed.... I got my sinosplasty done finally. I had bad polyps and a deviated septum so I couldn't breathe through my nose much at all. Obviously I couldn't do much physical activity without losing my breath.
Still recuperating but at least I will be able to breathe!

Tom Kanik
12-24-2011, 00:59
:needspics:

OK LG1, here you are!

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x101/tomkanik/100_1915.jpg

One dedicated to my wife, the other Lexi at Busse

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x101/tomkanik/100_1912.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x101/tomkanik/100_1911.jpg

These sheaths are for the new Busse B-10; I have one with choil, one without

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x101/tomkanik/100_1913.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x101/tomkanik/100_1916.jpg

LongGun1
12-24-2011, 18:56
OK LG1, here you are!

Cool! :thumbsup:

Need a Pic of "Sexy Lexi"...also! :tongueout: :supergrin:

sebecman
12-24-2011, 21:29

Need a Pic of "Sexy Lexi"...also! :tongueout: :supergrin:

+1 those are sweet - good job sir.

lawman800
12-24-2011, 22:33
I received some Israeli bandages and made a couple sheaths for my new Busse knives. Added some more canned goods.

Israeli bandages are awesome, as are CAT's (Combat Action Tourniquets). I got me the Quik-Clot but need more of those bandages/CAT's.

I love the knives. I sleep with the Cold Steel Natchez Bowie next to me.

kirgi08
12-25-2011, 00:20
Better not.'08. :whistling:

Tom Kanik
12-25-2011, 05:27

Need a Pic of "Sexy Lexi"...also! :tongueout: :supergrin: OK, she's to MY immediate right in the pic.:supergrin:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x101/tomkanik/tomk4/100_1567.jpg

These are some of the Busse ladies at the Blade show in Atlanta.

lawman800
12-25-2011, 05:29
Better not.'08. :whistling:

Have been... for a long time. Unless I am out of town, like right now.

Tom Kanik
12-25-2011, 05:32
MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!!!:wavey:

LongGun1
12-25-2011, 09:40
MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!!!:wavey:

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours also! :thumbsup:

But....

Really strange not having a blanket of snow in North Arkansas for Christmas! :whistling:

Tom Kanik
12-25-2011, 09:44
Well LG, you don't have to shovel sunshine and the driving is a lot better!:supergrin:

lawman800
12-25-2011, 15:04
Took the car out for a spin yesterday in the 70F+ weather... then it froze at night dipping into the low 40F's. Sucks.

lawman800
12-29-2011, 21:07
Picked up a grab n go bucket of emergency food - 60 servings for $100 from LA Police Gear.

Warp
12-29-2011, 23:04
Picked up a grab n go bucket of emergency food - 60 servings for $100 from LA Police Gear.

How many calories per serving?

LongGun1
12-29-2011, 23:31
OK, she's to MY immediate right in the pic.:supergrin:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x101/tomkanik/tomk4/100_1567.jpg

These are some of the Busse ladies at the Blade show in Atlanta.

I can....ummmm....easily see how she got the nickname! :embarassed: :supergrin:

kirgi08
12-30-2011, 05:37
Finished the rabbit hutches,should be able ta keep about 15-20.Next will be the chicken coop.'08.

lawman800
12-30-2011, 12:15
How many calories per serving?

Good question... didn't check that... but it's got a ton of different entrees in the 60 portions. Cheesy lasagna and beef stroganoff... (why is that in almost every prep food? Is it easy to dehydrate or something)

It's on the LA Police Gear website, google it and I am sure you can find the page on Grab-N-Go bucket emergency food.

sebecman
12-30-2011, 13:43
Good question... didn't check that... but it's got a ton of different entrees in the 60 portions. Cheesy lasagna and beef stroganoff... (why is that in almost every prep food? Is it easy to dehydrate or something)

It's on the LA Police Gear website, google it and I am sure you can find the page on Grab-N-Go bucket emergency food.

It's the Wise Foods Grab N Go.
http://wisefoodstorage.com/60-serving-entree-only.html

Listed on LAPolice for 129 marked down to 99 dollars but is now backordered.

I have heard that there is a very high sodium content in Wise. Still, at that price and considering you get the pouches which give you variety, pretty good deal IMHO.

lawman800
12-30-2011, 13:53
It's the Wise Foods Grab N Go.
http://wisefoodstorage.com/60-serving-entree-only.html

Listed on LAPolice for 129 marked down to 99 dollars but is now backordered.

I have heard that there is a very high sodium content in Wise. Still, at that price and considering you get the pouches which give you variety, pretty good deal IMHO.

Yes, it's the Wise Foods bucket. I got it for less than $99 with their 15% off sale and free shipping promo and you guys will get it for less because you don't have to pay the sales tax on it like I do so you save another $10 from my in state price.

****ers.

They can take my $10 in sales tax on that bucket and shove it up their liberal asses in Sacramento.

M1A Shooter
12-30-2011, 23:18
the What did you do 2012 thread is already up and running so i go into it early so i dont miss out and keep prepping next year :)

RWBlue
01-02-2012, 21:52
Spent some time training the next generation and the last generation.