Internal modifications on SD shotguns. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Internal modifications on SD shotguns.

Victoriagotagun
12-21-2010, 12:32
Last night, I went to the parents house for a family dinner and of course the topic of firearms came up which lead to shotguns. One topic that had a wide range of views between my dad, uncles, and brothers was internal modifications to shotguns for personal defense.

So, now I'm curious what you all think about having internal modifications done to personal defense shotguns like lengthening and polishing the forcing cone, polishing the chamber or barrel, porting, backboring, removable choke tubes, etc

1 old 0311
12-21-2010, 14:27
HAND polishing isn't a bad idea but don't try to reinvent the wheel.

m24shooter
12-21-2010, 15:02
Those mods can be of some use.
The forcing cone can be lengthened to allow less shot deformation, which will typically result in better patterns. It may also lessen recoil by lengthening the transition of the shot load from the shell to the bore.
Polishing the chamber makes extraction easier, especially with cheaper loads. On better quality rounds, it is more of an insurance policy. Polishing the bore can help if you just have a really funky barrel or lots of residue.
Porting is debatable. Lots of people see no value in porting, some people see problems. With loads that don't use flash retardant, it can cause some nice blooming at night or in low light with shorter barrels. Porting may help with muzzle climb with hotter loads. From my experience it seemed like the low velocity rounds didn't benefit as much from porting as the hotter loads.
Backboring or something similar to Vang's work helps to shrink patters, but a lot of that can be offset by using something like the FC loads. Those are often seen as making a Vang modified barrel obsolete. However, that is specific to those loads and the Vang tends to increase performance of several loads.
Removable choke tubes are just that: removable, and sometimes at inopportune times. They let you fit your choke to different circumstances if that is something you want to do. If that fits your needs for a defensive shotgun then it would be something to consider.
The question really is if these modifications will be of sufficient value to the shooter to justify their cost to you. An off-the-rack shotgun will likely function just fine without them, and serve perfectly well. In some cases with notoriously bad patterns there may be some added benefit to some of the mods.

aippi
12-21-2010, 17:12
Most of the things you want to improve on can be improved simply by choke and ammo selection. At some point many of the things becoming popular on these so called tactical shotguns today are nothing more then gimicks. Choke and as posted above some of the modern shotgun ammo will accomplish the desired resluts. The money for some of this mess is better spent on ammo so you can become proficient with the weapon.

Uncle T-bone
12-21-2010, 18:25
Knock yourself out with all of those mods, however it is never the arrow, it is always the Indian...

triggerjerk
12-21-2010, 20:54
Just buy a Benelli M4.
Just my opinion.

Deaf Smith
12-21-2010, 21:23
So, now I'm curious what you all think about having internal modifications done to personal defense shotguns like lengthening and polishing the forcing cone, polishing the chamber or barrel, porting, backboring, removable choke tubes, etc

If your shotgun shoots strait, is reliable, fits you, and just plain works fine, THEN LEAVE IT ALONE.

Only if it is having problems, say with pattern size, or functioning do you mess with the gun.

Keep in mind the shotgun is not even a good 200 yard weapon and it really only comes into it's own inside 30 or so yards.

Deaf

Victoriagotagun
12-22-2010, 01:11
Those mods can be of some use.
The forcing cone can be lengthened to allow less shot deformation, which will typically result in better patterns. It may also lessen recoil by lengthening the transition of the shot load from the shell to the bore.
Polishing the chamber makes extraction easier, especially with cheaper loads. On better quality rounds, it is more of an insurance policy. Polishing the bore can help if you just have a really funky barrel or lots of residue.
Porting is debatable. Lots of people see no value in porting, some people see problems. With loads that don't use flash retardant, it can cause some nice blooming at night or in low light with shorter barrels. Porting may help with muzzle climb with hotter loads. From my experience it seemed like the low velocity rounds didn't benefit as much from porting as the hotter loads.
Backboring or something similar to Vang's work helps to shrink patters, but a lot of that can be offset by using something like the FC loads. Those are often seen as making a Vang modified barrel obsolete. However, that is specific to those loads and the Vang tends to increase performance of several loads.
Removable choke tubes are just that: removable, and sometimes at inopportune times. They let you fit your choke to different circumstances if that is something you want to do. If that fits your needs for a defensive shotgun then it would be something to consider.
The question really is if these modifications will be of sufficient value to the shooter to justify their cost to you. An off-the-rack shotgun will likely function just fine without them, and serve perfectly well. In some cases with notoriously bad patterns there may be some added benefit to some of the mods.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up what everyone was talking about at dinner it just can get pretty opinionated with most of my family coming from a military or LE background or both. I just wanted to see some other views on the subject.