Anyone using a MacBook Air? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a MacBook Air?

mnhogrider
12-21-2010, 13:09
I've never owned a Mac. My wife works within a school system and has a MacBook Pro. We send our oldest son off to College with a MacBook Pro. Neither one of them have any problems. Now it's time for me to replace my well traveled and well worn Dell laptop.

I've been a PC person. It's not that I have anything against Macs, I just never really seriously used one and I've always stuck with what I learned on.

My laptop usage is limited. I travel quite a bit and I need it for internet access, doing E-mail and some word processing and spreadsheets. And Solitaire. I want a decent size screen and full size keyboard. I've tried going the handheld route, and that doesn't work for me. My older eyes can't handle the mini screens and funky keypads and the slow download speeds.

I have a desktop at work and at home (PC) to do all my other stuff.

I fondled a MacBook Air yesterday at the local Best Buy. I like it. Great for briefcase carry and getting through security.

Will I be able to go back and forth from Mac to PC, or am I complicating things? The OS's seem similar. I know that there would be a bit of a learning curve.

The 13" MacBook Air has a 128 GB version for $1299 and a 256 GB version for $1599. Since I'm light duty usage, should I save the $300 and go with 128 GB?

wct097
12-21-2010, 13:12
You'd probably be fine, assuming your not using more than 128gb on your Dell. I think a MBA would be a great computer to travel with, if you didn't need real processing power or storage. If your requirements are internet, email, and office productivity apps, you have a lot of freedom to be OS agnostic.

MySiK26
12-23-2010, 20:59
why not just save $$$ and go with a netbook?

JK-linux
12-23-2010, 21:22