Any decent printers out there with 'low' cost ink? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any decent printers out there with 'low' cost ink?

Obi Wan
12-22-2010, 10:15
I'm at the point where I need to bite the bullet and replace at least one printer. My HP970 died last year (excellent inkjet) and my HP3100 laserjet won't connect to my 'new' XP computer (the drivers won't work) so it only serves as a B/W copier now. I'm down to a Canon Pixma IP1700 printer that does a decent job, but drinks ink @ $21/black and about $25 for color... $57/1 color & 2 black at Sams... which only lasts a month or a little more. And this cartridge can't be manually refilled, which is a real cheater.

I don't need photo printing for the most part, just good clean text and graphics, with occasional picture printing. A key is that the ink is reasonable, the black ink can be refilled by ME, and is about $150 or less.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Pierre!
12-22-2010, 18:12
I feel ya... I am personally *done* with Inkjets.

I converted to laser 2 years ago, and haven't looked back!

Picked up a HP 3600 color printer back then, and still haven't used more than 1000 pages! :supergrin: Cost a whopping $225, but it's Effin Awesome! When it gets down to about 500 pages left i'll SELL IT cause it was about $800 to refresh the consumables... (LOL) I'd call that disposable...

The little HP Laserjet 1022 gets a new toner bout once a year - $65 to $80 depending on sales/online/ect...

Expensive? Well, I don't know. My printers *still* work like the day I got em. One is 3yrs old, the other is2yrs old. The HP3600 Color sat for *MONTHS*, fired right up and printed out a color page pretty as you like em!

Try that with an Inkjet in Tucson AZ...

Go Laser, and don't look back. Laser *works* waaaay more reliably!

HTH...

Merry Christmass!

Obi Wan
12-22-2010, 18:31
Go Laser, and don't look back. Laser *works* waaaay more reliably!

HTH...

Merry Christmass!
I've had the HP 3100 Laserjet since 1998 or so and it works fine... EXCEPT that when I tried to move it to my new PC the drivers wouldn't take and I've been completely unable to fix the problem. Apparently "everyone" who tried using the HP XP driver found it doesn't work and a bunch of us now have laser copiers with no printing capability!

Merry Christmas back at ya'! :cool:

kc8ykd
12-22-2010, 23:04
i personally love lasers, color and b&w.

the cost for toner is more up front, but it lasts a ton longer than inkjets so your price per page is a lot lower with lasers.

for inkjets, a buddy of mine told me about this place for low cost ink:
http://www.ldproducts.com/

he told me he's ordered from them for a while now and hasn't run into any issues.

i bookmarked it a while ago when my parents got an HP J6400 AIO w/wifi.

it's a pretty slick printer (no color screen), the wireless is nice and so is it's built-in web page which allows for scanning to pdf files over the network (without any special drivers or anything, it's all through the device's built-in web server).

srhoades
12-23-2010, 00:28
A Guttenberg?

Pierre!
12-23-2010, 06:54
I'm at the point where I need to bite the bullet and replace at least one printer. My HP970 died last year (excellent inkjet) and my HP3100 laserjet won't connect to my 'new' XP computer (the drivers won't work) so it only serves as a B/W copier now. I'm down to a Canon Pixma IP1700 printer that does a decent job, but drinks ink @ $21/black and about $25 for color... $57/1 color & 2 black at Sams... which only lasts a month or a little more. And this cartridge can't be manually refilled, which is a real cheater.

I don't need photo printing for the most part, just good clean text and graphics, with occasional picture printing. A key is that the ink is reasonable, the black ink can be refilled by ME, and is about $150 or less.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have now read the entire post, and see you do have the Laserjet... (LOL)

So - The drivers used to work, and now they don't? It is a fresh re-install of Win XP Pro?

I would pull the drivers, download fresh, and reinstall... And I have this feeling you did this.

If that's the case, have you replaced the cable? I once spent 4 hours on a modem installation that would have been 30 minutes if I had swapped the cable... it did turn out that it was a $2.50 cable, but my credability with the client was blown. They then called me Pierre! Two Cables at the local watering hole after that... :rofl:

Next time I will read the whole post - promise - and not just laser-lock on the term 'inkjet' in the future! :upeyes:

Merry Christmass!

Obi Wan
12-23-2010, 09:13
for inkjets, a buddy of mine told me about this place for low cost ink:
http://www.ldproducts.com/

Thanks for the link. I just put an order in to test them so we'll see. I'll let you guys know once I begin using their cartridges.
I have now read the entire post, and see you do have the Laserjet... (LOL)

So - The drivers used to work, and now they don't? It is a fresh re-install of Win XP Pro?

I would pull the drivers, download fresh, and reinstall... And I have this feeling you did this.

If that's the case, have you replaced the cable? I once spent 4 hours on a modem installation that would have been 30 minutes if I had swapped the cable... it did turn out that it was a $2.50 cable, but my credability with the client was blown. They then called me Pierre! Two Cables at the local watering hole after that... :rofl:

Next time I will read the whole post - promise - and not just laser-lock on the term 'inkjet' in the future! :upeyes:

Merry Christmass!
I had the HP 3100 installed for 10 years on my old PC. I made the mistake of trying a fresh install (with the newest drivers for XP) on my new PC (using Windows XP Home, the same as the old PC), and the drivers would not work. I then moved the old parallel board from the old PC to the new PC and it still wouldn't work. I had made the mistake of uninstalling the printer from the OLD PC (BIG mistake!!!) and thus tried reinstalling it and that didn't work... so I tried to do a System Restore... and that didn't work either. I searched the web and found that there are a lot of people around the world having the same problem and HP doesn't care because it's a 10+ year old laser jet that they don't care if it works any longer or not.

HP's attitude has sucked on all four HP printers I've owned over the years, and none of them were cheap printers ($300 - $800 ea). As far as I'm concerned, I'll try to never own another HP printer. They can KMA... :whistling:

No, I have not tried changing the cable, but if I decide to attack the problem again I'll try that.

Thanks!

Pierre!
12-23-2010, 09:27
I had the HP 3100 installed for 10 years on my old PC. I made the mistake of trying a fresh install (with the newest drivers for XP) on my new PC (using Windows XP Home, the same as the old PC), and the drivers would not work. I then moved the old serial board from the old PC to the new PC and it still wouldn't work. I had made the mistake of uninstalling the printer from the OLD PC (BIG mistake!!!) and thus tried reinstalling it and that didn't work... so I tried to do a System Restore... and that didn't work either. I searched the web and found that there are a lot of people around the world having the same problem and HP doesn't care because it's a 10+ year old laser jet that they don't care if it works any longer or not.

HP's attitude has sucked on all four HP printers I've owned over the years, and none of them were cheap printers ($300 - $800 ea). As far as I'm concerned, I'll try to never own another HP printer. They can KMA... :whistling:

No, I have not tried changing the cable, but if I decide to attack the problem again I'll try that.

Thanks!

Hey Obi Wan,

So it's a NEW computer, not a RE-Installed computer... OOoohhhh...

Did you check to see if this is really a Serial printer and not a Parallel port based printer? If it's serial, I understand how you could want to just give up on this...

If it is really a parallel port based printer, you may need to check the BIOS to see if there was an LPT1 already, and when you added your new one it's now stepping on the original LPT1 that came with the motherboard.

Try pulling your card, and then checking BIOS to see what ports you have. You may need to adjust your card to a new address to work, or possibly disable the motherboard based port.... or BOTH.

Not too many folks have used Serial ports for printing to Laserjets "in my experience"... but what I have outlined above should apply to serial and parallel ports alike.

HTH...

Merry Christmass!

Obi Wan
12-23-2010, 10:27
My mistake. I've corrected my post above since it IS a parallel cable, not serial. Thanks for catching that!

And, yes, at the time I did check the LPT1 port conflict question, etc, and was unable to debug the issue. If I ever get bored enough with life to reattack this one, I'll start from scratch and see if I missed something. :dunno: :supergrin:
Hey Obi Wan,

So it's a NEW computer, not a RE-Installed computer... OOoohhhh...

Did you check to see if this is really a Serial printer and not a Parallel port based printer? If it's serial, I understand how you could want to just give up on this...

If it is really a parallel port based printer, you may need to check the BIOS to see if there was an LPT1 already, and when you added your new one it's now stepping on the original LPT1 that came with the motherboard.

Try pulling your card, and then checking BIOS to see what ports you have. You may need to adjust your card to a new address to work, or possibly disable the motherboard based port.... or BOTH.

Not too many folks have used Serial ports for printing to Laserjets "in my experience"... but what I have outlined above should apply to serial and parallel ports alike.

HTH...

Merry Christmass!

srhoades
12-23-2010, 12:26
Sometimes you have to change it an ECP or EPP for it to work properly.

Obi Wan
12-23-2010, 14:59
Sometimes you have to change it an ECP or EPP for it to work properly.
That sounds familiar. Don't recall if I tried it or not, but if I attempt the install again I'll look into it.

Thanks for the reminder.

solomansousana
12-23-2010, 17:23
Agreed with the laser poster. I've gone laser exclusively using the HP business class black/white laser with an accompanying HP CP1518ni a networked color laser and today at office depot, they had several of these on clearance for 79.00 and I purchased all 3. Not that I'll use all of them, they'll make good backups in case the one I have goes out without the need to change drivers, but from pure toner replacement, this makes sense lol since each machine came with 4 color toner cartridges and one black cartridge each good for 750 pages.

Obi Wan
12-23-2010, 18:39
Agreed with the laser poster. I've gone laser exclusively using the HP business class black/white laser with an accompanying HP CP1518ni a networked color laser and today at office depot, they had several of these on clearance for 79.00 and I purchased all 3. Not that I'll use all of them, they'll make good backups in case the one I have goes out without the need to change drivers, but from pure toner replacement, this makes sense lol since each machine came with 4 color toner cartridges and one black cartridge each good for 750 pages.
Hmm... interesting idea. I just figured the cost of the color laser printers was higher than the inkjet, but I never really looked at it.

stolivar
12-23-2010, 19:25
Hands down.

I use it and a brother laser

steve

solomansousana
12-24-2010, 07:50
While brother lasers are great, and I own two, the problem is you not only have to replace the toner, but after 10k pages, the drum as well. With HP lasers, the drum is part of the toner thus keeping the prices down.

Inkjets usually run like 35 bucks to replace black and color cartridges, toner cartridges tend to give you far more bang for the buck.

GIockGuy24
12-25-2010, 19:35
My HP printer goes through some ink. HP ink is expensive too. I needed a new scanner and bought an Epson printer / scanner at Target on sale for half price, $30. It uses less ink and the ink is much cheaper. The cheapest on at Target has quite a few complaints but the next model., people seem to like. That's the one I got. It's made of cheaper, thinner plastic than the HP printer and is an economy model. Maybe a higher line Epson model would be nicer but this one works for me. It is a bit flimsy but for $30 it scans and prints well. If I needed something for higher use I would consider a more expensive model that was a bit sturdier. Just avoid the cheapest one.

solomansousana
12-28-2010, 10:28
My HP printer goes through some ink. HP ink is expensive too. I needed a new scanner and bought an Epson printer / scanner at Target on sale for half price, $30. It uses less ink and the ink is much cheaper. The cheapest on at Target has quite a few complaints but the next model., people seem to like. That's the one I got. It's made of cheaper, thinner plastic than the HP printer and is an economy model. Maybe a higher line Epson model would be nicer but this one works for me. It is a bit flimsy but for $30 it scans and prints well. If I needed something for higher use I would consider a more expensive model that was a bit sturdier. Just avoid the cheapest one.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/18465-3-sued-deceiving-printer-users-jose-mercury

HP actually has a class action lawsuit pending as I've been notified and have become a claimant, it seems that the printheads in HP cartridges are designed to send the printer a message when the cartridge gets to the halfway point to inform the user the tank is near empty, thus having the user go and purchase new tanks.