should I get a Kimber carry pro.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : should I get a Kimber carry pro....

matt c
12-22-2010, 13:24
Wife is getting me a pistol for xmas. I had planned on a HK or SIG. I was checking out a stainless carry pro and I really like it. Seems like it might be a nice carry pistol. May have to have an ambi safety added though. This would be my first 1911. Is it something I should consider or maybe just pass on. basically, can I trust it to be a good running 1911 or are these known for their problems. I had a tactical in my hands as well as a couple colts, and I just like this one the best for size, weight, and looks.

Hokie1911
12-22-2010, 13:32
Wife is getting me a pistol for xmas. I had planned on a HK or SIG. I was checking out a stainless carry pro and I really like it. Seems like it might be a nice carry pistol. May have to have an ambi safety added though. This would be my first 1911. Is it something I should consider or maybe just pass on. basically, can I trust it to be a good running 1911 or are these known for their problems. I had a tactical in my hands as well as a couple colts, and I just like this one the best for size, weight, and looks.

There are better choices in that price range for a carry gun. If you are deadset on a Kimber, look at the Pro TLE2.

firecatwilson
12-22-2010, 14:20
I agree with Hokie......

There are better choices for 1k.

Nickpisp
12-22-2010, 15:04
I have a Super Carry Pro and a Pro Carry II and they've both been 100%, but I prefer Springers and Colts.

jknight8907
12-22-2010, 15:28
I've been looking at a Pro TLE2. What are some of these better guns?

Hokie1911
12-22-2010, 15:39
I've been looking at a Pro TLE2. What are some of these better guns?

At $1Kish...

STI Ranger2
STI Guardian
DW CBOB (used)
Kimber ProTLE2
Kimber ProCDP2

If you aren't set on .45, the Springfield EMP is the KING of this pricepoint, or you can also get the STIs in 9mm or .40 if that floats your boat.

matt c
12-22-2010, 15:58
ah, so maybe a better kimber or springfield loaded. How about the Kimber tactical version. Is it the features of these that are better or the reliability? I get there are upgrades in front strap checkering, night sights, ambi safety(big plus for me).

Quack
12-22-2010, 16:07
everyone has their preferences, but i would get a Springfield over a Kimber.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1107397700_mrkr5-L.jpg

jknight8907
12-22-2010, 17:26
everyone has their preferences, but i would get a Springfield over a Kimber.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1107397700_mrkr5-L.jpg

Springfield doesn't sell a Pro-sized gun as far as I can see.

Quack
12-22-2010, 17:35
yes they do...it's called the Champion.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1130576981_amQPf-L.jpg

glock2740
12-22-2010, 17:40
There are better choices in that price range for a carry gun. If you are deadset on a Kimber, look at the Pro TLE2.
I agree. The Pro TLE has all the features that most people look for in a 1911. Kimber makes a great gun. I love all of mine.

jknight8907
12-22-2010, 17:41
yes they do...it's called the Champion.

That's not currently in production, is it?

Hokie1911
12-22-2010, 17:52
That's not currently in production, is it?

The TRP Champion pictured isn't.

Hokie1911
12-22-2010, 17:57
Springfield doesn't sell a Pro-sized gun as far as I can see.

There are 44 Springfield Champions for sale on Gunbroker right now. GIs, MilSpecs, Loadeds, and a couple of LW Operators.

jknight8907
12-22-2010, 18:46
There are 44 Springfield Champions for sale on Gunbroker right now. GIs, MilSpecs, Loadeds, and a couple of LW Operators.

My point is SPRINGFIELD doesn't currently sell a Pro-size gun. (Unless I'm missing something?) Of course the used market will always have whatever you need.

Quack
12-22-2010, 18:51
My point is SPRINGFIELD doesn't currently sell a Pro-size gun. (Unless I'm missing something?) Of course the used market will always have whatever you need.

Kimber "PRO" is a 4" gun with a fullsize grip.

Springfield Champions are a 4" gun with fullsize grip.

so yes, Springfield currently sells "Pro" sized guns.

jknight8907
12-22-2010, 18:53
Kimber "PRO" is a 4" gun with a fullsize grip.

Springfield Champions are a 4" gun with fullsize grip.

so yes, Springfield currently sells "Pro" sized guns.

Ah...amazing what you can find when you actually use the "Select Model for Specs" drop-down. Doh! :rofl:

Quack
12-22-2010, 18:57
Ah...amazing what you can find when you actually use the "Select Model for Specs" drop-down. Doh! :rofl:

:honkie::nutcheck::wedgie: :rofl:

Hokie1911
12-22-2010, 18:57
DOH! :homer:

knedrgr
12-22-2010, 23:41

:rant:

:nutcheck:

me. :rofl:

G27RR
12-22-2010, 23:50
In my experience, the STI Ranger II runs circles around the Super Carry Pro in terms of reiability, and for less money, too. Here's my 1911 (plus Sig) collection, and the only one I've had problems with is the Kimber. I went through 700 rounds trying to correct chambering and extraction problems. I've since put it aside for now and stuck with my Ranger IIs in that size range.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/G27RR/1911Collection-1.jpg

BayouGlocker
12-23-2010, 00:30
Just to add my own question to this converstion.... I'm interested in getting a Commander size 1911, with a light rail and lightweight frame. Night sights and ambi safety would be a plus. The Kimber Pro TLE/RL and Springfield LW Champion Operator seem to be close, with the Springer being harder to find....

Are there any other manufacturers in this price range that compare? I'm leaning towards the Springer, but they do seem *MUCH* harder to find....

matt c
12-23-2010, 06:58
I see that many like STI, I guess it is a popular choice...not available anywhere near where I live. Around here, I can find Kimber(the most), a few colts(full size or defender), and some other full size entry level models. Also Ed Brown, but, there is no way my wife would spend over 2K on a pistol. Anyways, I really like the Kimber tactical I held, and it is fine price wise. I figured if I may get a SIG or HK, why not a 1911 for around the same $$. I really like how thin the 1911 is compared to an HK or SIG. The kimbers feel great and seem like they would be a great carry pistol as long as they work well. I do have 2 Glocks to carry, so i guess I might take the 1911 plunge. I don't really need another plastic combat pistol or SIG.

rsxr22
12-23-2010, 07:08
You can go right to brazo's custom or dawsons and get a STI and just have it sent to your FFL. STI and Springfield make a great gun. I hate talking negatively about a gun, but I have had simply too many bad experiences with Kimber to ever recommend them to anyone

Hokie1911
12-23-2010, 07:20
I had a ProCarry2 and never had any issues with it. Having to do it over, there are other guns in the ballpark price that I would buy instead.

You hear a lot of Kimber horror stories, but since they sell more 1911s than anyone, for every clunker you hear about...there are hundreds or thousands of happy Kimber owners that aren't complaining on web forums. I would have no problem buying a Pro TLE2 or Pro CDP2.

matt c
12-23-2010, 07:28
I had a ProCarry2 and never had any issues with it. Having to do it over, there are other guns in the ballpark price that I would buy instead.

You hear a lot of Kimber horror stories, but since they sell more 1911s than anyone, for every clunker you hear about...there are hundreds or thousands of happy Kimber owners that aren't complaining on web forums. I would have no problem buying a Pro TLE2 or Pro CDP2.

well it will be either a CDPII (pro or compact) or the tactical pro. I have to check out the CDP II today and make my decision. Of course, I still may just get an HK. Gotta decide today. Both seem to have about the same features, just different looking and the tactical has that extended beveled magwell. I assume I could remove that if I wanted to(for carry purposes). I do like the idea of the compact as it has a shorter length grip to aid in concealment(have not held it yet).

Cerebrus
12-23-2010, 07:30
Can't really go wrong with any of the top 3.. however if yer gonna be carrying it.. stay the hell away from the ambi.. they can have a nasty habit of leaving condition 1 unannounced..

matt c
12-23-2010, 07:42
Can't really go wrong with any of the top 3.. however if yer gonna be carrying it.. stay the hell away from the ambi.. they can have a nasty habit of leaving condition 1 unannounced..

I'm left handed. No matter what, I will have the safety lever on the outside of the gun while carrying. Also it seems the Kimber safeties don't seem to stick out much at all.

ss2polymer
12-23-2010, 07:47
I've had the Pro Carry II for a while and find the alloy frame comfortable to carry but I prefer the heavier "HD" version with the steel frame for shooting.

Both are 100% reliable and accurate. Mine digest all types of ammo without skipping a beat.

Nickpisp
12-23-2010, 08:52
I went through 700 rounds trying to correct chambering and extraction problems.

My Super Carry Pro would act that way when it started to get really dirty. I ordered a Wolff recoil spring for it and the problem is gone.

G27RR
12-23-2010, 17:06
My Super Carry Pro would act that way when it started to get really dirty. I ordered a Wolff recoil spring for it and the problem is gone.

Clean or dirty didn't make a difference on mine. What # spring worked for yours?

mickey24
12-23-2010, 17:20
I had the same issue, I could not find an STI gun at any dealer around where I live. On a recommendation I went to Dawsons Precision and found the Ranger ll that I wanted and had it shipped to a FFL by me. It was actually cheaper since I did not have to pay sales tax and they had free shipping and also added night sights as an incentive. STI has a list of master distributers on their website, all have great prices and very friendly customer service.

Nickpisp
12-23-2010, 17:50
Clean or dirty didn't make a difference on mine. What # spring worked for yours?

I'm not sure what # it is but Wolff sells it as an "Kimber Extra Power Spring".

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21235/Product/KIMBER_reg__EXTRA_POWER_RECOIL___FIRING_PIN_SPRING

mdalle01
12-24-2010, 04:05
My experience with a Pro model...

Bought my Kimber Pro TLE/RL II a few years back. After the break-in period I was still having failure to feed issues. I tried a variety of ammo and mags, but it didn't matter. Sent it to Kimber twice, but they couldn't manage to fix the problem. I was about to sell the gun to a guy for a huge loss, but decided to take the advice of several others who encountered the same problem. I installed a Wolff recoil spring, which is much stronger than the original spring, and I bought a magazine from Tripp, which also uses a very strong spring. After that, no more feeding issues. I changed out all the springs in my mags with Tripp springs, and continue to replace my Wolff recoil spring as needed. I've put well over 2000 rounds through it since, including hollow points, and not one hiccup. I have enough confidence in it now that it has become my primary carry gun, I absolutely love it.

Just something to think about.

G27RR
12-24-2010, 06:17
I'm not sure what # it is but Wolff sells it as an "Kimber Extra Power Spring".

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21235/Product/KIMBER_reg__EXTRA_POWER_RECOIL___FIRING_PIN_SPRING

I'll give that a try, thanks.

glock2740
12-24-2010, 06:25
I'd like to try a Ranger II out. But I think I would get one in .40 if I got one though.

infiniti0505
12-24-2010, 06:26
Try the Sig C3. I have been beyond happy with mine. Scary accurate! You can find them in the $800 range on gunbroker and gunsamerica. Here is mine with VZ grips...
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p27/taylorc1448/IMG-20101211-00006.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p27/taylorc1448/IMG-20101211-00005.jpg

matt c
12-24-2010, 06:55
My experience with a Pro model...

Bought my Kimber Pro TLE/RL II a few years back. After the break-in period I was still having failure to feed issues. I tried a variety of ammo and mags, but it didn't matter. Sent it to Kimber twice, but they couldn't manage to fix the problem. I was about to sell the gun to a guy for a huge loss, but decided to take the advice of several others who encountered the same problem. I installed a Wolff recoil spring, which is much stronger than the original spring, and I bought a magazine from Tripp, which also uses a very strong spring. After that, no more feeding issues. I changed out all the springs in my mags with Tripp springs, and continue to replace my Wolff recoil spring as needed. I've put well over 2000 rounds through it since, including hollow points, and not one hiccup. I have enough confidence in it now that it has become my primary carry gun, I absolutely love it.

Just something to think about.

Info like this really helps. Thanks. I went to the gun shop and checked out the CDPII pro. I think it is probably my favorite 1911 I have held(in the around 1K price range). That said, for my xmas present I ended up with a HK P30. Being able to compare the two side by side, I felt the HK was better served for me right now. I'll buy the kimber myself early next year.