New Winchester 1300 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Winchester 1300

gnasty1521
12-22-2010, 17:09
I am getting this for Christmas. Easy deal as it was $175 out the door. I want to do a Speedfeed Bird's Head pistol grip, and forend, but am not happy with the capacity. Ideas? Other mods I should look into?

BTW, it will be a HD / play around at the range / truck gun... I will be cutting the barrel a bit as well.

fivestar
12-22-2010, 18:48
Beautiful guns. I love Winchester's, and I have 3 1300's. If it was mine I wouldnt cut the barrel. These aren't made anymore, so I wouldnt want to regret something down the road. If you look around you can still find 18" Defender barrels, although they're getting harder to find. Since you mention this is going to be mainly a HD gun, I'd look into getting a mag extension as well, especially if you get the Defender barrel as you'll need the extra tube length.

With a new barrel and tube, along with the currently installed stuff, you basically have one gun which can be used for multiple things.

Anyways, no matter what you do, you have a great shotgun. Enjoy it!

gnasty1521
12-22-2010, 19:21
So with the extension, the 18 inch barrel will fit? What about the loops being in different spots? Second issue, those barrels are more than I bought the shotgun for...

fivestar
12-22-2010, 20:06
Yes, the 18" barrel will fit with a mag extension. I have a Choate 7+1 extension on one of my 1300's. This particular gun has right now a 22" Defender barrel with rifle sights and Winchoke chokes. My 18" barrel would also fit now with this extension. Here's what I did with mine....

A few years ago I wanted a Defender, although I was too late as Winchester had already shut down. I had (have) a 1300 which was a Xmas present from my dad back in the early 90's. While shopping at Gander Mountain (around 2005) I ran across a NIB 1300 Black Shadow for $199.99. Obviously I bought it. Several months later I found a NIB 1300 Camp Defender for $299.99 IIRC. (the Camp model came with the 22" barrel.) I bought it as well. After bringing the Camp home I had to find an 18" barrel which I did about a year later. I bought a new barrel for $150.00. So, at this point I now had a 18" Defender with a spare 22" barrel, plus 2 full size 28" barrel 1300's. Just last month I finally got around to changing things. I bought the Choate extension and placed it on the Black Shadow 1300. With the extension I was able to use the 22" Winchoked barrel. So, that's what I have now. An 18" Defender model, a 22" barrel "Defender" model, and a 1300, with the spare barrel being the 28" Black Shadow barrel. Confusing I know!

As for the cost of the barrel, well that's your call. Like I said, they're not made anymore, so if you ever want to change things up a bit having another barrel would be a positive thing. Not to mention any resale value down the road if you ever chose to.

gnasty1521
12-22-2010, 21:39
Thanks for the replies. I have used the search function, and these do not have much coverage. Is there any newer model to which the barrels will swap out?

Truckee
12-22-2010, 23:36
gnasty,
Man, I respect it's yours to do with as you please. But, I agree with the others, it would be a crying shame to chop up that 1300. Just say, "NO!"

fivestar
12-23-2010, 06:28
Thanks for the replies. I have used the search function, and these do not have much coverage. Is there any newer model to which the barrels will swap out?

I think the 1300 series is the newest model which would interchange. 1200 model barrels may, but I don't know off hand.

gnasty1521
12-23-2010, 07:02
Truckee - I do not have a need for a long barrel, as I do not hunt. I would have bought an 870, but they are almost twice the price, because you hardly ever find them used. One thought I was tossing around was buying another long barrel, that way the resale value would stay up with the original barrel in tact. Hard to find these things however.

fivestar - I have done small amounts of research, but everything leads to the winchester 1200 interchanging.

Restless28
12-23-2010, 07:24
Congrats. I love my 1300 Defender...short barrel, large capacity without a mag tube extension, and smooth action.

gnasty1521
12-23-2010, 07:30
Yeah I wished I could have found a Defender for cheap. I believe this shotgun will still work though. I just have to choose whether to chop or not to chop (probably chop, unless someone trades for an 870).

Additionally guys, I wonder if the parts may become cheaper because I hear they are being made by FN now... Any truth to this?

Restless28
12-23-2010, 07:36
Yeah I wished I could have found a Defender for cheap. I believe this shotgun will still work though. I just have to choose whether to chop or not to chop (probably chop, unless someone trades for an 870).

Additionally guys, I wonder if the parts may become cheaper because I hear they are being made by FN now... Any truth to this?

If you want a Defender, look in the pawn shops. Mine was found locally for a good price. It was an old Police gun that must have lived in the squad car for a long time. It has the rack marks, and one side of the stock and the whole handguard is sun bleached, but the insides look mint.

I think it adds character.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq340/jackcassid/SU1HMDAxMjYtMjAxMDEwMDItMTIwMy5qcGc.jpg

Restless28
12-23-2010, 07:37
Other side.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq340/jackcassid/SU1HMDAxMjctMjAxMDEwMDItMTIwNC5qcGc.jpg
(http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq340/jackcassid/SU1HMDAxMjctMjAxMDEwMDItMTIwNC5qcGc.jpg)

Truckee
12-23-2010, 09:36
Truckee - I do not have a need for a long barrel, as I do not hunt. I would have bought an 870, but they are almost twice the price, because you hardly ever find them used.

Thanks for the consideration gnasty. As I said, I respect it's yours and why you want it shorter. If we were closer, I'd hook you up with an 870.

I think shorter barrels can be had for the 1300. Maybe contact FN?

FN is making the "Winchester" design; unsure if they'll call it Winchester though. I have a partner whom just bought an FN. That SG is a Winchester, I don't care what the roll mark says.

gnasty1521
12-23-2010, 12:16
I just have a hard time believing that an 8-shot barrel will go on a 5-shot magazine with an extension. Doesn't seem strong enough...

Just a note, I will keep it for a bit, to see if anyone in DFW would like to trade for an 870 before I hack it up.

gnasty1521
12-23-2010, 12:18
Oh, something else, does the "Defender" and the model I have, have the same action and slide tube length?

Truckee
12-23-2010, 14:17
Oh, something else, does the "Defender" and the model I have, have the same action and slide tube length?
yup, yup. Slide tube length? The slide moves the same -distance/stroke- on both. Magazine tube is longer, barrel shorter on the Defender.

bluejackets92fs
12-23-2010, 14:21
If you want a Defender, look in the pawn shops. Mine was found locally for a good price. It was an old Police gun that must have lived in the squad car for a long time. It has the rack marks, and one side of the stock and the whole handguard is sun bleached, but the insides look mint.

I think it adds character.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq340/jackcassid/SU1HMDAxMjYtMjAxMDEwMDItMTIwMy5qcGc.jpg

I love that style grip. Your shotgun looks really nice. It is different from the rest but not mall ninja status.

Restless28
12-23-2010, 15:01
I love that style grip. Your shotgun looks really nice. It is different from the rest but not mall ninja status.

Thanks. I would like a shorter LOP, but, I love the classic look. :cool:

gnasty1521
12-23-2010, 16:52
yup, yup. Slide tube length? The slide moves the same -distance/stroke- on both. Magazine tube is longer, barrel shorter on the Defender.

I ask about the slide tube length because I am used to Mossberg's, which have two different lengths. Aftermarket forends go on both 1300's (Defender and field model) the same correct?

Truckee
12-23-2010, 17:33
I ask about the slide tube length because I am used to Mossberg's, which have two different lengths. Aftermarket forends go on both 1300's (Defender and field model) the same correct?
Oh... I've only looked at a few Winchesters. I've never noticed a difference. The FN even looks the same. This is an assumption based upon limited experiences though.

I did not know that Mossberg has two different slide lengths. I have 500s and a 590A1. I'm gona have to go check this out. I've seen their same gauge fore stock be different. But, the measurement on the slide-mount was the same.

gnasty1521
12-23-2010, 17:59
Oh... I've only looked at a few Winchesters. I've never noticed a difference. The FN even looks the same. This is an assumption based upon limited experiences though.

I did not know that Mossberg has two different slide lengths. I have 500s and a 590A1. I'm gona have to go check this out. I've seen their same gauge fore stock be different. But, the measurement on the slide-mount was the same.

I hate to do this to you, but I brought it home today. I gave it a very thorough cleaning (rust a plenty), and then did a functions test on it. It impressed me. It literally slaps the shells out to load another in the tube. It felt very well built. I can't imagine an 870 being completely superior to this gun! Equals, or a pros cons battle sure, but it is incredibly well built and solid. The slide, when the release is pushed, damn near goes half-way by itself.

Bottom line: This will be my shotgun for a long time, and I intend to use it for said purpose. I wished someone would be willing to trade a Defender for it, but I doubt it. I will give it a week, but then I have to operate... What do you think?