Question with berrys bullets, AA7 powder [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question with berrys bullets, AA7 powder

xkon
12-22-2010, 20:42
I am using berry's 180grain plated bullets, No. 7 powder, and WPL primers. According to the modern reloading manual 2, they can be loaded from 9.9 to 11 grains of powder and should be loaded to an OAL of 1.260.

This is my first time reloading and I have a few questions. I made a batch of 30 bullets to try out using the dillon square deal. First question being the OAL. It said it should be made to a MINIMUM of 1.260. Now the question is, if the bullets i made are about 1.265-1.269, is that acceptable?

Second question, when I first read the manual, I thought it said a minimum powder charge of 9.0 grains, not 9.9 grains. So i loaded the bullets to about 9.5 grains to start with. Will these bullets I made still be safe to fire with about .5 grains less than the min starting powder?

Third question, a few of the primers are slightly bulging from the bottom of the brass, are they okay to fire?

Along the same lines, one of the primers went into a piece of brass sideways. How do I go about this? Should i spray wd-40 on the primer and let it sit for an hour or so? Then use a bullet puller to get the powder and bullet off. And can that primer sprayed in wd-40 be thrown out?

Thanks in advance. There is a lot that goes into reloading and i'm trying to figure it all out.

steve4102
12-22-2010, 23:18
It said it should be made to a MINIMUM of 1.260. Now the question is, if the bullets i made are about 1.265-1.269, is that acceptable?

1.260 is the Max OAL according to SAAMI. 1.265-1.269 will not heart anything as far as pressure goes, but they may not feed worth a ****.

Second question, when I first read the manual, I thought it said a minimum powder charge of 9.0 grains, not 9.9 grains. So i loaded the bullets to about 9.5 grains to start with. Will these bullets I made still be safe to fire with about .5 grains less than the min starting powder?

Never use just one source of data. Get several manuals and compare, also go to the powder manufacturers web sites and check out their free data. Accurate (they make #7) lists a Start charge of #7 at 9.9 and a Max of 11gr. Sierra list a start charge of 8.5gr and a Max of 11.1 for jacketed, Hornady #7 list a start of 9.3gr and a Max of 12.0 for 180 jacketed.
Your 9.5 will be safe, weak but safe.

Third question, a few of the primers are slightly bulging from the bottom of the brass, are they okay to fire?

Not sure what "slightly bulging" means, gota picture?

xkon
12-22-2010, 23:56
hey thanks for your reply. I do not have access to a camera as of right now, but if you go to this link
http://www.reviewsofthings.com/guns/9mm_luger_primer_failure_misfire_dud.html (http://www.reviewsofthings.com/guns/9mm_luger_primer_failure_misfire_dud.html)
if you look at the third picture it looks slightly like that, just a bit more. I realized this was from not during a full stroke on the SDB.

As for the OAL, thats strange because the manual I had said that was the minimum. Now I have Lymans and two other powder manuals too, however, the Modern Reloading guide was the only one that had 180 grain copper plated in there. I heard berrys bullets are soft and shouldnt use the data for jacketed, and if you do, back it off a bit. Is that true?

Also, any clue to the sideways primer?

steve4102
12-23-2010, 00:07
I heard berrys bullets are soft and shouldnt use the data for jacketed, and if you do, back it off a bit. Is that true?

Yes, kinda, use lead data plus maybe a tad more or jacketed reduce by a tad unless you have real plated data to use. Check your manuals and all the online data you can find. 1.260 is about as long as you want to go to get reliable feeding and Yes, it is the SAAMI max.

_The_Shadow
12-23-2010, 09:57
Xkon, Welcome to the forum!
Just don't try to drive the Berry's too fast...plating is thin and can and does shear off, some have experienced keyholing. Be careful with crimping as well, too much crimp is too much!
Also most ammo manufactures load to 1.250" as max length. Why? They don't know your weapon and they need to fit all applications!

Most people who are loading their own should know their weapon well enough to understand if they can use the longer 1.260" reliably in their weapons with what ever projectile they use...BTW some will not work reliably at anything longer than 1.260" and some will...especially revolvers.

I don't exceed 1.260" for any of my loadings and most are held to 1.255" COAL.

xdmikey
12-23-2010, 22:44
+1 for steve4102.
i also use the lee book but they have a mistake for 10mm/180gr/power pistol. they list 8.3 as the start load. wrongo! that is the max.
now i verify any new loads w/info from the top of this forum, at least for 10mm.

as far as bulging primers, you didn't seat them enough. you can try to fire them; maybe they will ignite on the second try. if they don't then you get to pull them.

regarding the sideways primer/s you're on your own. i'll tell you there is a way to deal w/it and in time you'll figure it out; i know cause i did.

billybob44
01-04-2011, 20:26
On the primer questions: the loads with the high primers should be shot separately, as to being sure that they go off. If not the first hammer strike, on the second hammer strike.
On your sideways primer..Disassemble the load, with a bullet puller, discard powder, save bullet, run SLOWLY through your sizer/decapper die, and discard the bent up primer. You should be able to reuse the case and bullet.:cool:

nickE10mm
01-07-2011, 07:36
I am using berry's 180grain plated bullets, No. 7 powder, and WPL primers. According to the modern reloading manual 2, they can be loaded from 9.9 to 11 grains of powder and should be loaded to an OAL of 1.260.

This is my first time reloading and I have a few questions. I made a batch of 30 bullets to try out using the dillon square deal. First question being the OAL. It said it should be made to a MINIMUM of 1.260. Now the question is, if the bullets i made are about 1.265-1.269, is that acceptable?

Along the same lines, one of the primers went into a piece of brass sideways. How do I go about this? Should i spray wd-40 on the primer and let it sit for an hour or so? Then use a bullet puller to get the powder and bullet off. And can that primer sprayed in wd-40 be thrown out?

Thanks in advance. There is a lot that goes into reloading and i'm trying to figure it all out.

Hi there... Welcome!

I'm a new reloader, as well, and actually started with almost the same components you did. I'm loading a 180gr Berry's plated HP over 9.5gr of AA7. Just shot my first 70 loaded rounds last week and it was pure bliss. Nice, mellow load, accurate and totally reliable. Now I just need some more time to load....

As for your question about how fast to load the plated bullets, I've been reading that we need to use "Lead Bullet" loading data. The data in my Hornady 8th ed. book says to start around 9.2gr of AA7 for a 180gr jacketed bullet but they don't list any Lead Bullet data. I checked another source and the minimum listed loads for Lead was around 7.5-7.8gr so I figured I'd start low on the jacketed side and not go up from there as I just need a plinker. I settled on 9.5gr of AA7 and its very mild and no pressure signs (either from case head expansion or primer flattening).

Taterhead
01-14-2011, 00:04
Accurate Powder lists load data for Rainier bullets. Rainier bullets are plated and the load data should be reasonably compatible with Berry's.

I agree with Steve4102 about not relying on a single source for recipes.