Push-through sizing to un-Glock 10mm brass? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Push-through sizing to un-Glock 10mm brass?

Objekt
12-23-2010, 10:13
Any thoughts on the Lee Bulge Buster or Redding G-Rx push-through case sizing tools? I have quite a lot of 10mm brass with that typical Glock bulge near the case head, which I would like to recondition.

Naturally, this being a Glock forum, the big idea is to help make reloads for my Glock 20. I do have a Lone Wolf replacement barrel for my Glock 20, but many of my reloads won't chamber in it because of their Glock-bulged brass. For the same reason, many of my reloads won't fit in a 10mm case gage, which is even tighter than the Lone Wolf chamber (I believe it's cut to minimum SAAMI dimensions).

Anything too bulged gets thrown away, of course. I just bought 1000 new Starline 10mm cases to augment my puny supply and to sort of work around the problem of my existing, Glocked 10mm brass.

Once I get this problem worked out, I plan to only shoot reloads in the Lone Wolf barrel. That way, they won't re-acquire the Glock bulge. Thanks for your input.

xdmikey
12-23-2010, 22:35
what gen is your barrel? it must be early. i don't have any issues with the bulge at the base but it looks wider as you look to the mouth; it has a generous chamber.

to rid my range brass(9mm) of the bulge i use a lee sizing die w/deprimer removed and screwed all the way down. i load on an lnl so i have to remove the powder drop die to get full sizing of the bulged brass.

hope this helps.

RacerRon
12-26-2010, 14:39
The Redding GR-X works great. I have been de-bulging my brass for about a year now. I would suggest a cheap single stage press dedicated to this die.

jaytee 10mm
12-27-2010, 14:53
Any thoughts on the Lee Bulge Buster or Redding G-Rx push-through case sizing tools? I have quite a lot of 10mm brass with that typical Glock bulge near the case head, which I would like to recondition.

Naturally, this being a Glock forum, the big idea is to help make reloads for my Glock 20. I do have a Lone Wolf replacement barrel for my Glock 20, but many of my reloads won't chamber in it because of their Glock-bulged brass. For the same reason, many of my reloads won't fit in a 10mm case gage, which is even tighter than the Lone Wolf chamber (I believe it's cut to minimum SAAMI dimensions).

Anything too bulged gets thrown away, of course. I just bought 1000 new Starline 10mm cases to augment my puny supply and to sort of work around the problem of my existing, Glocked 10mm brass.

Once I get this problem worked out, I plan to only shoot reloads in the Lone Wolf barrel. That way, they won't re-acquire the Glock bulge. Thanks for your input.
I dont full lenghth resize ...the buldge stays..as long as it chambers why the big deal with having to remove it...with rifle cartridges the most accurate loads are neck sized only...so why is this different for pistol? my reloads look like an hourglass very subtle but its there so far 20,000 reloads through my 20c and no problems

steve4102
12-27-2010, 19:10
I use the GRX die for my 10mm and 40 S&W. I like it.

I found something interesting the other day when I was running several hundred 10MM through he GRX die. All of this brass was fired from the same pistol, DW CBOB. Most of the brass slid through the die like butter with very little effort needed to push the brass up through the die. But, there was a few that took a whole lot of effort and force on the press handle to push them through. I needed to know why, so I ran a test.

I loaded a bunch of 180gr MG JHP with Longshot. I loaded several rounds starting low and working up. I fired these rounds and then ran them through the GRX die. What I found was the rounds that needed a lot of effort to run through the die we all from the upper to max range loads. Seems to me that the GRX may be a simple way to test for increased pressure in the 10MM. Works for me.

_The_Shadow
12-27-2010, 19:58
Well, I have been very succesful using the LEE FCD with the guts removed, all rounds fall into the cartridge gauge and drop out, when turn over without any effort.

I didn't buy the Bulg kit as I used the Bullet pusher from a 10mm cast bullet sizing kit.

Just finishe 1350 10mm and 1000 40S&W! :)

billybob44
12-27-2010, 20:28
Well, I have been very succesful using the LEE FCD with the guts removed, all rounds fall into the cartridge gauge and drop out, when turn over without any effort.

I didn't buy the Bulg kit as I used the Bullet pusher from a 10mm cast bullet sizing kit.

Just finishe 1350 10mm and 1000 40S&W! :)
If you use the FCD, with the guts removed only, you will have brass hang up on the dies's internal threads before they push through.
You need to make a bushing to guide the cases to the top of the stripped out Lee FCD.
I used a modified .45 Colt case and a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe to make a bushing. Can PM me for more info. Bill.:wavey:

Objekt
12-28-2010, 17:42
The new brass arrived today. That should keep me busy for a while.

I am also going to take a second look at how I have my EGW U-die set up. It seems to work better on my single-stage press for some reason. Maybe the answer is to first resize all my old brass on the single-stage, before loading it on the progressive.