Can you wear out a Glock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can you wear out a Glock?

NeilTheCop
12-23-2010, 18:23
The reason I ask, is that my issue G17 formally belonged to the Departments firearms instructor. He's had it for years and fired who knows how many rounds through it. I've been firing about 50 rounds a week for 3 years myself.
It functions flawlessly but has poor accuracy. By that I mean from a sandbag rest at 15 yards, it groups around 4 to 5 inches.
So. Can they be worn out to the point of inaccuracy?:dunno:

JR
12-25-2010, 15:21
I highly doubt you can wear out a Glock. You are dealing with a pistol cartridge that hardly makes enough pressure to leave a trace of lead much less copper. The majority of your problem could be with build up in the barrel. Another thing to consider is that the average Glock will print 4 to 6 inch groups at 25 yds. Yours is a little larger... not by much.

NeilTheCop
01-01-2011, 17:53
A short while after posting I was talking to my Commander about this. He promptly pulled out a new in the box G19 and said, have this instead:wow:
Took it home and ran about 50 rounds through it.
2 inch group at 15 yards, offhand:supergrin:
As an experiment I field stripped both, left the barrel in the slide with no spring.
The G17 has a lot of play between the barrel and the slide. The G19, none.:dunno:

JR
01-03-2011, 11:44
Yep, parts fit is a big contributor to the equation. This is the reason I prefer to shop at large shops when looking for a gun. You can compare several models of the same gun and have a choice as to which YOU feel is best.