Strange error on XP Pro desktop PC -- need advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Strange error on XP Pro desktop PC -- need advice

npatel
12-23-2010, 23:27
Hey all,

My dad's desktop just started displaying a really odd error -- it gives a battery warning that laptops usually give when the battery is low.

It says:

"CRITICAL BATTERY You should change your battery or switch to outlet power immediately to keep from losing your work"

The machine was originally a HP Pavilion a1340n, but the motherboard was changed after a power surge, so it no longer has all factory hardware. I'm hoping this issue doesn't require a reformat, since this computer won't install Windows without detecting the original motherboard, so the last reformat took me a long time to figure out. It is currently running Windows XP Professional that is fully updated.

Does anyone have any ideas why a desktop computer would be displaying a low battery error? The unit is connected to a APC UPS, but that unit is not showing any error lights. I tried searching google, but the first few pages of results only showed people with similar problems, but no resolutions.

Any ideas? I was thinking of buying a new CMOS battery and then testing the old one to see if that could be bad. The only things I can think of are a failing power supply, bad CMOS battery, or faulty UPS unit. Is there a way to test the power supply or UPS (besides its own diagnostics)?

Thanks for the help -- I'm hoping someone here has seen this before.

Pierre!
12-24-2010, 10:03
Check the power management profile next...

It may just be thinking it's on battery power and it is simply an erroneous error.

On occasion, it is just this easy.

That's my first thought... I will double check when I get in front of an XP box here in a lil bit.

HTH...

Merry Christmass!

Goodspeed(TPF)
12-24-2010, 13:26
Shut down. Remove the battery. Make sure it's plugged in to the wall. Boot up. LMK if the error goes away. -Goodspeed :wavey:

Goodspeed(TPF)
12-28-2010, 18:40
Well?:dunno:

npatel
12-28-2010, 21:25
Sorry, I haven't messed with anything yet. I've been down with a bad case of strep throat for a few days, so I'll figure it out when I'm feeling better.

podwich
12-28-2010, 22:06
Shut down. Remove the battery. Make sure it's plugged in to the wall. Boot up. LMK if the error goes away. -Goodspeed :wavey:

It's a desktop. Unless you're talking about the CMOS battery? Don't think that'd help.

I'm guessing it's some error when setting up the power management.

CitizenOfDreams
12-28-2010, 22:26
Try unplugging the UPS to check if its battery is any good. The computer will show the battery icon and the remaining charge just like a laptop would. See how long the UPS will last. If you get the "low battery" warning immediately, you have found the problem.

Goodspeed(TPF)
01-02-2011, 19:04
The unit is connected to a APC UPS

You realize that your UPS is just a battery with an inverter. I guess I should have been more specific. My bad. Take the UPS out of the equation.

RottnJP
01-03-2011, 22:03
I second (third?) the idea of taking the ups out of the loop. My first thought is that either it's failing, or is not rated for the power level you need, so the battery is looking weak when the pc pings it.

Have you done the math on your pc to make sure the wattage is within the recommendations for the aps?

Goodspeed(TPF)
01-09-2011, 03:18
So... How we doin? :popcorn: