Weird problem with new to me 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem with new to me 1911

Notallthere
12-24-2010, 05:26
I bought a gently used Metro Arms 1911 the other day. It functions almost flawlessly except for one thing. When I shoot, the hammer follows the slide every shot. I have to thumb the hammer EVERY shot, but, only when I shoot it. My best friend can shoot this thing all day without a hitch. How do I fix this? Am I just doing something wrong? Holding my hair the wrong way?

cdunn
12-24-2010, 05:49
most likely a sear spring issue,take it apart and make sure its in correctly,you might need to adjust the tension .
I missed that it works for your friend.operator error.

silversport
12-24-2010, 06:22
I would think if it was the sear spring, it should have hammer follow for everyone, not just you...but if it is the sear spring, it's an easy fix...

I would have a buddy watch you while you shoot and see if he can see what you are doing...good luck...

Bill

BuckyP
12-24-2010, 06:56
When your friend shoots, does he ride the thumb safety? Do you? If he does, and you don't, it could be an issue with the safety dragging on the sear.
:dunno:

Jim S.
12-24-2010, 07:51
If the hammer follows the slide after each shot does it fire the next round also?
Very strange that it does this for you and not your friend.
Have you performed the safety check on this gun?
It is at the top of this forum page.
See if anything does not follow the proper functioning and it will point you in the right direction.

12-24-2010, 08:04
here is my guess:

One of the two shooters holds the trigger down after each shot, until he is ready for next shot. The other shooter is letting go of the trigger just as the hammer falls. This is allowing the disconnecter to function for the first shooter in preventing the hammer from following.

The bad sear spring is still the problem -- just one shooter is not effected.

12-24-2010, 08:18
adjusting the sear spring is just a matter of bending it, but if you are new to the gun, you may need to have a gunsmith look at it for you. Just remember that a a lot of guns fire unexpectedly after simple repairs turn out to be larger problems--like a bad hammer or sear. So, be careful.

Notallthere
12-25-2010, 08:56
I have tried adjusting my grip between riding the thumb safety and not, also my first thought was that I was holding the trigger and he wasn't. I don't think that has any effect. As far as taking it apart farther than field stripping, I will have to see a gunsmith. The bad part is, there are only pawn shops in my area. I'll have to drive about an hour away to find one. My biggest fear was that the GT braintrust would be stumped on the fact that it only works for my friend.

bac1023
12-25-2010, 09:11
here is my guess:

One of the two shooters holds the trigger down after each shot, until he is ready for next shot. The other shooter is letting go of the trigger just as the hammer falls. This is allowing the disconnecter to function for the first shooter in preventing the hammer from following.

The bad sear spring is still the problem -- just one shooter is not effected.

This would also be my guess, though I'll admit its odd.

Drestin Black
12-25-2010, 22:27
I've seen it happen if the overtravel screw (If it has one) is set wrong and the trigger bow is going back far enough that if you ride the trigger it does not allow the sear and hammer to reset. Try adjusting it and see what happens.

I had it happen on a DW cbob, the hammer was following until I adjusted it properly. The best way to check it is take out the mag and while holding the trigger slingshot the slide. If the hammer follows I bet that is probably what is happening since it's not happening when the other guy shoots. You don't even have to be riding the trigger, but if you push the trigger back farther than the other guy yours might not have time to reset.

If the trigger does not have an over travel screw you can improvise by putting a very small screw in where it would kind of be like this and filing it to fit.:

http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/products/94-hd-101-n-extreme-service-1911-trigger.aspx

I know this does not happen with all 1911's, some remove the overtravel screws, so I guess it's how the frame is machined, the trigger itself or maybe both. But it should not follow if you slingshot with your finger on the trigger. If it does your trigger bow is going too far back.

One note, trigger bounce hammer follow CAN happen if the sear springs are mal adjusted, but it will not cause hammer follow doing the test so that will tell you what it is.

Edit: I just searched for the same problems, this is not me mine happened several years ago:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=276961

Quack
12-25-2010, 22:39
if you have too much over-travel, the trigger is moving far enough back and contacting the sear feet which would prevent the sear to reset, causing the hammer to follow.

Drestin Black
12-25-2010, 22:49
if you have too much over-travel, the trigger is moving far enough back and contacting the sear feet which would prevent the sear to reset, causing the hammer to follow.

Er, yea.:)

Notallthere
12-26-2010, 01:54
I did try holding the trigger and cycling the slide. At first it worked as it should, then, it started it again. Almost every time the slide went forward the hammer did too. IIRC I was holding the trigger quite firmly while doing this test. It is in my safe at work so when I get back to it later I will check to see if I even have an overtravle adjustment screw. If it doesn't, an adjustable trigger is my next purchase.

12-26-2010, 07:55
It certainly could be as described above -- too much over travel -- I have only seen that on guns with poorly fit grip safeties. The grip safety should stop the rearward trigger movement in plenty of time to prevent the over travel from being too much.

Drestin Black
12-26-2010, 08:26
I did try holding the trigger and cycling the slide. At first it worked as it should, then, it started it again. Almost every time the slide went forward the hammer did too. IIRC I was holding the trigger quite firmly while doing this test. It is in my safe at work so when I get back to it later I will check to see if I even have an overtravle adjustment screw. If it doesn't, an adjustable trigger is my next purchase.

Yep, that should do it.

Good point on the grip safety, an adjustable trigger will fix it though. I do the "holding the trigger while dropping the slide" test always after fitting ignition parts, grip safety, trigger just to make sure.

Oaklands
12-26-2010, 20:13
It has a lifetime warranty. I own one and they are great little guns. Contact Royce Honeycutt at Colorado Gunworks and he will fix the problem for you. He does a great job and can probably turn it around for you pretty quick.

Don't take a chance on ruining the warranty by doing it yourself.