Shot my first 1911 today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first 1911 today

NewGlocker28
12-24-2010, 12:48
Went down to the range this morning for a little Christmas Eve shooting. As I had never fired anything in .45 or a 1911 (I only have a .40 Glock) I decided to rent the Kimber Custom Target that was available. Although I wasn't a huge fan of the adjustible target sights, I must say I was pretty accurate with it. It was fun to shoot, though it desperately needed cleaning. For instance when I released the slide the slide crawled back so slowly that I wasn't sure it even chambered a round. Again, it was my first experience with a 1911 but I still don't think that is normal. Also had 1 or 2 FTF out of the box of 50. Again, my guess is that as a rental gun it was just filthy so I won't hold thost FTFs against it.

What do you guys think about traget sights vs night sights? Just wondering if target sights are more accurate or what the pros and cons are to both kinds of sights, other than the night sights glow in the dark...i figured that much out on my own ;)

matt c
12-24-2010, 12:51
up to you...target sights vs combat sights. IMO both do their job.

ShakyDave
12-24-2010, 13:40
With target sights you can customize to fit your shooting style - dead on, six o'clock, deep six o'clock, windage, and so on. With the combat sights you're stuck with the factory setting unless you want to do some gunsmithing.

ashnic
12-24-2010, 16:20
Man this sounds like me...I have a Glock 23 in 40 cal and just bought a new Kimber pro carry in a 45 that I can't shoot until Monday...

Hokie1911
12-24-2010, 16:24
Man this sounds like me...I have a Glock 23 in 40 cal and just bought a new Kimber pro carry in a 45 that I can't shoot until Monday...

You're screwed bro. You won't ever look back. The grips from Ryan sealed the deal. :supergrin:

ashnic
12-24-2010, 16:47
Yea..I know I am ate up now...

Jason D
12-24-2010, 17:06
I have to have target sights in a .45.
I find myself not shooting the guns much that don't have them.

bac1023
12-24-2010, 20:55

Congrats! :cool:

Jim S.
12-25-2010, 11:45
I don't really see a need for target sights on a close combat weapon.
I don't really see a need for night sights on a target shooter.
Nuff said?
It depends on what you will be using the gun for.
I don't use my carry guns for target shooting. Sure I shoot them all the time but I don't practice the perfect stance and take my time between shots trying to get the tightest group that I can shoot.
I practice fairly close range fast shots center mass and so forth.

AZ Husker
12-25-2010, 18:06
I don't like adjustable rear sights. They snag my shirt, scratch my side, and are unnecessary for defensive carry. If I were a bullseye shooter, it may be different. It's not hard to drift a rear sight in a dovetail a little one way or the other if needed. Elevation has never been an issue in the many 1911s I own.

Petrie
12-25-2010, 18:24
Ha! Only 1911 I ever shot was a filthy rental springfield loaded. Something broke on it and the firing pin was stuck sticking out the breach face. I tried to chamber several rounds without any luck before I noticed it. Glad it didn't work or I might have went full auto. Was pretty sweet to shoot though.

G36_Me
12-26-2010, 17:36
Although it is a great idea to rent a range gun and test drive it, I feel you can never really judge gun's quality or reliability from that test. At best, you can see if you like the feel in your hand.

Just this past year, the guy behind the counter gave me a Glock to look at. It was failing to feed every few rounds. It coincidently happened to be a G36. A quick field strip and check of the slide lock showed it was broke (wire spring broken). It was flopping and causing periodic slide locking. I'm sure someone walked away from the range saying the G36 was a piece of junk when it was probably broken by someone who didn't know how to take down and reassemble a Glock.