Die Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Die Question

loneeagle
12-24-2010, 22:01
Being new to reloading I have a hornady L-N-L single stage press for my christmas. Can I use a RCBS carbie die set on it or do i have to stick with Hornady die set. I am trying to get my reloading set up for 10mm and wanted to find out about the dies.
trying to get everything set up to start reloading after the first of the year

MakeMineA10mm
12-24-2010, 22:37
I've not got an L-N-L but when I looked at them, I seem to recall that any dies could be mounted into the quick-attach inserts, and then mounted in the press.

I wanted to get you some sort of answer right away, but maybe someone with an L-N-L could happen along and really answer the question.

I know it's nearly sacriligious to suggest, but you could go to the instructions or check out Hornady's website! :supergrin:

Merry Christmas!!

loneeagle
12-25-2010, 08:37
I will have to check when I get home from the inlaw and unpack it! I was jsut curious This is my first reloading press and since I am new i would rather take it one step at a time till I get good at it I lean more toward quality then quanity.

whenmonkeysfly
12-25-2010, 10:34
Merry Christmas! I don't own a LNL, but believe it accepts standard size dies. My Forster CO-AX accepts all standard size dies, you just have to use one of their die rings (Manual should specify this). I've read lots of excellent reviews on the LNL. Enjoy!

whenmonkeysfly
12-25-2010, 10:45
It's definitely better to start on a single stage press. I received a Dillon XL650 this Christmas (thanks to my wife) :)! Knowing how to reload on a single stage prepared me for setting up and using a progressive press. If I'm not mistaken, the LNL will convert to a progressive... is that true? Merry Christmas and enjoy your new press. Some great, helpful folks on GT reloading the 10mm. Take care and Be Safe!

-Jay (whenmonkeysfly)

loneeagle
12-25-2010, 15:57
I am going to take it slow with the single stage, Like I said I would rather have quality ammo and just starting out i want to take it slow and understand each step and what it does. I will break out the press when I get home from the inlaws

I think i will get a set of the RCBS carbide dies for 10mm and see how they work. I just need to really settle on a powder for 155-180 grain bullets thats what i Have here. got Brass and primers.

xdmikey
12-25-2010, 21:29
loneeagle, i would get hornady dies since the free bullet deal is still going on; call hornady on monday to be sure you can qualify. if so, you'd get a free box of bullets(not loaded ammo) for buying hornady dies.
i use lee, rcbs and hornady and continue w/hornady(free bullets!).

loneeagle
12-26-2010, 07:56
oh yea i checked the website and I can get 500 free bullets for the press and 100 for the dies they only have 155 grain but for just starting out thats cool and they are free :supergrin:

xdmikey
12-26-2010, 08:17
when i buy dies/get free bullets i pick the most popular/easiest to sell/most widely loaded so i can resell them in case i need to=45acp! i think it's the 185 swc.
i've been reloading for many years and am habitized(sp?) to the bullets i load. i'm also a worls-class cheap bastard, in fact, president of my local chapter!
just my .02.
lots of guys load smks for range use w/their ars; for plinking(all i do), winchester works okay.

FTC
12-26-2010, 13:13
i have the hornady press and hornady 10mm/40sw dies, no complaints here. just make sure you have enough of the LNL quick lock rings. i think the press only comes with 2 or 3.

loneeagle
12-26-2010, 15:35
I just wonder if I use my cabelas points to get dies will i still qualify for the free bullets.
I will have to look and see when i unpack it tomorrow! when I am alone!