New Member with Serial Nr. Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Member with Serial Nr. Question

dond13
12-25-2010, 12:48
I am a new owner of a Glock 17 Gen4. I have a couple of other guns but have not been active in shooting for 20-30 years. I am going to class for a Concealed Handgun License in Texas in January so I got the Glock because of a recommendation from my son.

I am wondering about the serial number of my gun. It has a '3 digit 3 number' group posted in several places on the gun and I thought that it might be the serial number, but the limitations of that grouping make this seem unlikely. I did find one 10 digit number under the slide after looking for a couple of days and I am assuming that it is the real serial number. Is this correct? I had thought that the US had some law requiring the serial number to be located in a specific place that was easily visible.

JR
12-25-2010, 13:29
The serial number will be on the slide just under the ejection port, on the LH side of the barrel hood and the underside of the forward portion of the frame. It will have 3 letters followed by 3 numbers.

JR
12-26-2010, 16:43
FYI: A GT member tells me otherwise: "The serial number of the firearm in the USA is ONLY the one found on the receiver under the dust cover"

Maybe you can post a pic to show us all?

dond13
12-27-2010, 13:05
FYI: A GT member tells me otherwise: "The serial number of the firearm in the USA is ONLY the one found on the receiver under the dust cover"

Maybe you can post a pic to show us all?

Maybe 'Several' is an exaggeration. There are three places with the serial but maybe three is several. Here are two photos. On the slide there is a 10 digit number and a different 10 digit number on the frame under the slide. Are these part numbers for these two pieces?

JR
12-27-2010, 13:15
The numbers you see listed are the true & correct serial numbers. In this case, the numbers are stamped on the slide, barrel and frame.
I have never seen a Glock pistol without the serial numbers being stamped in this manner. Anybody have one that is otherwise? If so, please email a pic direct to: jshepard@lonewolfdist.com I will post it here so everybody else can see it too.

JR
01-12-2011, 22:49
jersey_emt writes:
I think what the member said about the USA serial # being only the one found on the receiver under the dust cover is the fact that the receiver by itself is the "firearm". The slide and barrel can be replaced, and if they are, their serial numbers will not match the one on the frame. So the GT member is probably saying that if you want to know the serial # of your gun, check under the dust cover, because that is the only one that "counts".

JR responds:
Yes you are correct. The only number that has real meaning is the number on the frame. The other numbers (slide & barrel) may or may not match and it really does not matter legally. The only number concerning law enforcement is the number on the frame.