Love my new padded VCAS, mini review. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Love my new padded VCAS, mini review.

NeverMore1701
12-25-2010, 21:30
Thanks to Surf's input in the sling thread we had a while back, I put a padded VCAS in coyote brown on my christmas list. It, and a DD QD endplate, replaced the MS2 and ASAP I've had on the rifle since they came out.

The difference is absolutely unbelievable! I don't have mine tricked out like Surf's, although I may add the fastex buckle and D ring onto the back at some point. They seem like they'd really expand the mounting options a lot, but for now I'm going to leave it stock and get to know it.

The sling in stock form isn't quite as fast to transition to support side as the MS2/ASAP combo was (for me, yet), but in every other category it blows the Magpul stuff out of the water. Way more comfortable out of armor, thanks to being wider, and of course, padded. Also it doesn't roll at all. The biggest difference, and where it really shines, IMO, is the ease, simplicity, and quickness of adjustment. I could never really shorten MS2 very quickly, and even when lengthening it, it had a tendency to roll and bind in the hardware sometimes. There is absolutely no sign of this with the VCAS. Pull the tab back, at any speed and angle, and it lengthens. Pull the tab forward, and it tightens up, completely hassle-free.

I know none of this comes as any surprise for anyone who has one, but if you're trying to decide on a sling, or if there's something you don't like about the one you already have, give the padded VCAS a try. I'm simply blown away by the quality of materials and construction, well thought out design, ease of use, comfort, and value. Mine was right at $50 shipped from SKDtac.

(I have a mash hook on order from BFG, for now it's kind of jerry rigged to the IWC Mount-N-Slot with a standard sling swivel. I'm also still working on getting the length adjusted just right, hence the long free tail.)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/NeverMore1701/DSC01660.jpg

Additional christmas goodies on the rifle: Surefire G2X Tactical (love it), DD QD endplate (love it), Magpul Enhanced Buttpad (love it), and Mechanix Tactical M-Pact gloves (love 'em!).

faawrenchbndr
12-26-2010, 04:53
Nice review,......they are great slings!

AK_Stick
12-26-2010, 07:51
My M-4 wears one. I would rather have a nicely padded 1 point, but it does everything I could ask for.

B.Reid
12-26-2010, 11:53
What is the overall length of that sling? Seem to me that most are just to short.

surf
12-26-2010, 13:05
I am a big fan of the VCAS and I picked up a couple more OD green padded versions with the CNC slider right from Blue Force Gear as they had a 50% off the OD green stuff and free shipping.

I used to only like the padded versions when I was out of gear. They are very comfortable. In gear I didn't like the padded because it used to turn on edge and cut into the neck. However we run all new Paraclete gear and I now run a horse collar so this is no longer an issue.

Good idea to run the sling as is for awhile. It will help you decide exactly how you should customize it for your needs. It does make a good convertible two to one point sling. Glad you like the sling!

AK_Stick
12-26-2010, 13:26
What is the overall length of that sling? Seem to me that most are just to short.

I'll try and measure mine tomorrow if I remember, but its long.

I actually think its too long for my needs. I would cut it down, but I think I'm just going to trade up for a 215 gear quick release single point.

MrMurphy
12-26-2010, 13:35
I ran a VCAS while in uniform towards the end.

I use a VTAC now, the LaRue model. I find it superior for most work. The VCAS has less to catch on anything but it's harder to fine-adjust. I can live with the tail since it's only one piece, though i'm usually death on dangly stuff having been hung up on all sorts of things (Humvee hatches and doors, interiors of aircraft and cars, all sorts).

The fact both are designed by ex-Delta guys, i think the tail was taken into account on snagging. So far, mine hasn't on anything which i consider a miracle.

NeverMore1701
12-26-2010, 14:41

I don't know how long it is, but like Stick said, it's very long. In my pic it's snugged up almost all the way.

nipperwolf
12-30-2010, 16:06
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/NeverMore1701/DSC01660.jpg

Could you tell me about that sling attachment on your MOE handgaurd?

I've been looking on a few companys sites, but haven't seen one?

Thank you.

NeverMore1701
12-30-2010, 17:30
Could you tell me about that sling attachment on your MOE handgaurd?

I've been looking on a few companys sites, but haven't seen one?

Thank you.

Last post (#17) in this thread:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1271238

They also make mounts for the Troy/VTAC handguards, that accept a variety of sling attachments (regular swivels, QD swivels, HK/mash hooks, etc.).

nipperwolf
12-30-2010, 17:47
Last post (#17) in this thread:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1271238

They also make mounts for the Troy/VTAC handguards, that accept a variety of sling attachments (regular swivels, QD swivels, HK/mash hooks, etc.).

Thanks, again. I like the sling swivel mounts, since my sling doesn't have a snap hook.

NeverMore1701
01-04-2011, 19:16
Well, I got in a mash hook and buckle. Will be adding a D ring later, whenever I get around to finding one. I like the setup, but am not sure how short I want to trim the three tails.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/NeverMore1701/DSC01874.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/NeverMore1701/DSC01877.jpg

AK_Stick
01-04-2011, 21:51
Looks good.

I think I'm going to cut mine, and use the equipment from a MS-2 to convert it to a modified 1 point.

Durden
01-04-2011, 21:59
I don't like the feel of any sling on my AR.

If I had to hump for miles at a time, carrying it, I'd just put on the stock, black sling.

NeverMore1701
01-05-2011, 03:48
I don't like the feel of any sling on my AR.

If I had to hump for miles at a time, carrying it, I'd just put on the stock, black sling.

What slings have you tried? This one is amazingly comfortable.

AK_Stick
01-05-2011, 08:09
for range use, I agree, slings are just in the way.

For ANYTHING else, slings are wear its at.

HoldHard
01-05-2011, 08:43
So is the Magpul ASAP for sale? PM me if so.

HH

Alderak
01-08-2011, 16:59
doesn't anyone use their sling for offhand shots anymore?

NeverMore1701
01-08-2011, 18:54
So is the Magpul ASAP for sale? PM me if so.

HH

Already sold it, sorry.

doesn't anyone use their sling for offhand shots anymore?

I don't with a carbine.