Pure prairie stuff [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pure prairie stuff

diode
12-26-2010, 15:26
Well, I started visiting this part of Glock Talk because I came across a Mossberg Maverick model 88 nib for a reasonable price when I had a Christmas bonus in my wallet. I needed to know if this was a reasonable choice for a home defense weapon other than my Glocks. Based on this website and other discussion forums I moved on the gun and it is now mine. The following is My Christmas Story:

OK, I am not a rocket scientist but as it has been at least 25 years since I fired a shotgun and for some unknown reason (likely old age) I had forgotten how short barrels transfer energy backwards more than a longer choked barrel. I started out with some Federal #7 shot, oh my god, how could I be so stupid with the diagnosed torn rotator cuff on my left shoulder. (I shoot rifles and shotguns left handed) I dropped to my knees from the pain on the first round.
I began to work my shoulder around in a circular manner once the pain level dropped and it started to feel a little better. Stood back up, shouldered the weapon and squeezed off a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round. I must hate myself but I just spent 245.87 on a new toy and I wanted to play just a bit. Reloaded another 5 rounds and shot my steel gongs from the hip. Had gone to Wallyworld earlier in the AM and picked up a box of 15 - 00 buck Federal shells and loaded them up. Holy crap, them babies kick! Shot again from the hip, reloaded another 5 and gently worked my shoulder in a circular manner, pulled up and squeezed off 5 in a row from the shoulder. Guess what? Other than bruising, it must have been a bone spur that I had just broken off! I have (right now) full mobility of my left shoulder with very little pain! No bull, a non-medical proceedure may have fixed what the Orthopeidic Dr. had told me was probably a rotator cuff tear. I do have a confirmed MRI on in the right shoulder showing a tear, but speculation was on the left side.

Spent 10.96 on the 00 buckshot, 245.87 (w/tax) on a shotgun and received gun powder surgery on the ranch! Life is indeed good. (Or I will be in terrible pain later tonight)

Thats my Christmas Story and I am stick'n to it..................

jb

unit1069
12-26-2010, 16:06
If your shoulder continues relatively pain free I'd said you've given yourself a very Merry Christmas!

Best of luck and you've got yourself a fine home self-defense weapon.

wtf0ver
12-26-2010, 16:09
hope it did help you, that would be a great story if true. you could put on a recoil reducing stock like the knoxx specops or compstock. im putting a compstock on mine, you can shoot all day with no soreness

dc2integra
12-26-2010, 18:18
hope it did help you, that would be a great story if true. you could put on a recoil reducing stock like the knoxx specops or compstock. im putting a compstock on mine, you can shoot all day with no soreness
I agree with him you should look into the knoxx recoil reducing stock

diode
01-03-2011, 18:16

I love Glock Talk, it is a one-stop info center! wtf0ver, I ordered a Knoxx Specops stock and just fired some 00 buck out of it. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
If I had not checked in on this forum, I would have needlessly suffered the punishment making myself 'man-up' to the recoil...at 58 you do not 'man-up' needlessly. Your and others suggestion deserves a big thank you, by the way, I still have full mobility of my left shoulder from the previous episode and I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth either!

Thanks folks!! jb