Is Sig Sauer still a leading manufacturer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is Sig Sauer still a leading manufacturer?

Honor Bound
12-26-2010, 14:36
I would like to offer a topic for discussion and some questions for the masses. I posted this in another Sig related forum, but would like to hear what GT'ers have to say.

I have owned multiple classic Sig pistols over the years but recently sold off my last one. I intend to replace it with a new 226 9mm but as I started doing some research into what’s out there, I came across some concerning news.

For years my experience with Sigs has been nothing short of awesome. To me they represented the hallmark of quality, reliable firearms. But recently I noticed that Sig Sauer is coming up short of the high standard expected from a true leader in the firearms industry.

Recalled pistols, plastic handguards that break, crap accessories (lights/lasers), junk magazines, sights that fall apart… I find all of this quite disconcerting.

Is Sig Sauer still a leader in the firearms industry? Is the quality of their firearms the same as it was 10 or 20 years ago? Is it a good idea to invest in a Sig pistol knowing that their standard of quality isn’t what it used to be?

It would be great to hear a solid discussion that can effectively preserve my confidence in Sig Sauer.

Your comments appreciated, thanks.

HB

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock
12-26-2010, 15:14
I look at Sig as A leader in the industry. Not The leader. Perhaps 15-20 years ago they were the leader but the competition is better today and they have experienced growing pains with QA and Customer service.

All manufacturers have issues. THey all have returns and recalls as well as lemons. Sig may have more of those types of issues today than they had 15 years ago but I doubt their number of issues is any greater than any one else.

Several things I dont like about sig today are:
- too many platinum and rainbow models. i understand the need for these if the market dictates but its almost hard to find a regular old 229 9mm black with nights sights.
- beavertails. seriously? I dont get it.
- refine the 2022 instead of forcing the 250 down our throat. The 2022 is a couple of grip modifications from being an awesome gun.
-I dont understand releasing the 238. It will always be linked to unreliability. It's design has known issues. Sure it will make money because folks will buy it. BUt the negative press due to recalls and general malfunction issues seem to do more harm than good.
- Mosquito. An absolute disappointment.
- Sig needs to figure out the nitron slide killing the anodized aluminum frame. The requirement of copious amounts of grease on slide rails is ridiculous.

All that said though, I wouldnt hesitate to buy a new sig. I just will inspect it much more carefully than I would have 15-20 years ago.

backbore
12-27-2010, 06:47
Yes it is still a leader in the industry. Manufacturers go through ups and downs and Sig is no different. As far as an investment? I think firearms, in general, are pretty bad investments no matter the manufacturer, so I'd say it's a bad investment, but a good firearm.

lawdog734
12-28-2010, 17:29
My dept has used the sig229 for the past 12 years with no issues. If the guys I work with can't destroy them then they are still good

Larry V
12-30-2010, 07:51
My dept has used the sig229 for the past 12 years with no issues. If the guys I work with can't destroy them then they are still good

Are you guys using 40 cal or 357 sig?

lawdog734
01-01-2011, 11:30
Are you guys using 40 cal or 357 sig?

We use the forty. So does another near by suburb. Another two suburbs close to us use the 220 in 45. I really like the 229 in 40.

bac1023
01-01-2011, 16:27
Sig is still a leading manufacturer, though I prefer the older models.

TSAX
01-03-2011, 03:44
Yes it is still a leader in the industry. Manufacturers go through ups and downs and Sig is no different. As far as an investment? I think firearms, in general, are pretty bad investments no matter the manufacturer, so I'd say it's a bad investment, but a good firearm.

:goodpost::agree:

quantico
01-03-2011, 11:21
I own what could be considered a " pile " of sig firearms. I love the classic P220 and love the p245 shortened a bit... my 229 is just flawless like the others with zero failures of any kind... my 239 in 357 sig is a lot of defense in a small package. My 238 is getting to be more reliable the more I shoot it. I have polished the feed ramp as it came with a big divot on the side half way up the ramp. I am not trusting my life to it at this point it is a fun little plinking pistol. I don't know much about recent sig production , but my contacts at the us air marshals tell me that they still use the sig 229 with few to zero failures of any kind... hopefully I can get my 238 to that level as well.

Cobra64
01-03-2011, 15:11
I would like to offer a topic for discussion and some questions for the masses. I posted this in another Sig related forum, but would like to hear what GT'ers have to say.

I have owned multiple classic Sig pistols over the years but recently sold off my last one. I intend to replace it with a new 226 9mm but as I started doing some research into what’s out there, I came across some concerning news.

For years my experience with Sigs has been nothing short of awesome. To me they represented the hallmark of quality, reliable firearms. But recently I noticed that Sig Sauer is coming up short of the high standard expected from a true leader in the firearms industry.

Recalled pistols, plastic handguards that break, crap accessories (lights/lasers), junk magazines, sights that fall apart… I find all of this quite disconcerting.

Is Sig Sauer still a leader in the firearms industry? Is the quality of their firearms the same as it was 10 or 20 years ago? Is it a good idea to invest in a Sig pistol knowing that their standard of quality isn’t what it used to be?

It would be great to hear a solid discussion that can effectively preserve my confidence in Sig Sauer.

Your comments appreciated, thanks.

HB

You sold off your last one that you trusted, and now want to buy a new one with questionable quality?

:upeyes:

Sig's Exeter functional QC has improved considerably over the last year or so, but their triggers aren't what they used to be.

If you want a seriously well built DA/SA 226, buy the P226 X-FIVE ALLROUND (http://sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=38&productid=261) or an SL, both made in DE

http://sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/X-5-All-Round-detail.jpg

bac1023
01-03-2011, 19:05
You sold off your last one that you trusted, and now want to buy a new one with questionable quality?

:upeyes:

Sig's Exeter functional QC has improved considerably over the last year or so, but their triggers aren't what they used to be.

If you want a seriously well built DA/SA 226, buy the P226 X-FIVE ALLROUND (http://sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=38&productid=261) or an SL, both made in DE

http://sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/X-5-All-Round-detail.jpg

The Allround looks to be a great pistol, though I've never handled one before.

Cobra64
01-03-2011, 19:45
The Allround looks to be a great pistol, though I've never handled one before.

Since you already have the L1, you need the DA/SA AllRound to keep it and your 220 company. :supergrin:

fnfalman
01-04-2011, 11:38
SIG Arms/SIG Sauer is probably a leading manufacturer. SIG Arms USA is not.

Stinger260
01-04-2011, 11:55

I don't understand how you can say firearms are a bad investment. I rarely sell my firearms but when I have I have made money on them. I think if you buy quality they hold value if not go up long term. I will occasionally pick a gun up cheap at auction or from someone needing money and then resell it for a profit. I have done pretty gun with that.

Defender77
01-07-2011, 12:51
I almost had a failure to fire while qualifying at our range.

Our targets flip, so we only have a few seconds to draw and shoot...and my SIG almost cost me my qualification.

backbore
01-07-2011, 14:05
How do you "almost" have a failure to fire?

PlayboyPenguin
01-07-2011, 14:33
I see SIG as an excellent manufacturer but I have never thought of them as the premier gun maker. I am sure they could easily be in some people's opinion and they may even be the biggest for all I know.

I restore old guns. I have restored a whole lot of old SIG pistols to get them ready for refinishing. The whole myth that the old ones are perfect and the new ones are flawed is just that...a myth. I have to repair lots of defects on the old ones and see lots of repair work that has been done. In fact I find there to be more cosmetic flaws with the older ones than with the newer ones on some models.

I think the whole thing is a product of people who own old ones wanting to look down on people who own new ones. It is also a little bit like car collectors who will only admit a car is any good if it is German made. That whole Germany bias shows up a lot with very little proof to back it up when it comes to the SIG line.

Defender77
01-09-2011, 02:50
How do you "almost" have a failure to fire?

Pressed the trigger to fire two shots....first shot went off without a hitch....second shot nothing happened.

For a split second I had that oh no thought...but I only had so much time before my target flipped back and I would have nothing to hit....and fail the qualification.

I don't recall exactly what I did, whether I pressed the trigger even more and was able to fire...or if I re-pressed the trigger and it finally fired.

I think I re-pressed the trigger and it fired.

That is my "almost" failure to fire.

Had I been in a real gunfight.....not good.