saiga 12 mags [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : saiga 12 mags

Liquid
12-26-2010, 17:12
well i got a saiga a while back and i want to get some mags for it. it is stock i didnt convert it and i dont have my near plans to. i got a drum but now i need someone to point me in the direction to get some good mags for it. i was thinking surefire.

thanks

liquid

Jon_R
12-26-2010, 17:32
I thought converted saigas and non converted saigas took different mags. I don't have one but I thought that was what I read. Maybe that is rifles and not shotguns. Does your drum work fine?

Just mentioning if you are buying mags but not planning on converting. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Draven21
12-26-2010, 19:47
Factory 8 rounders would be good but are hard to find and expensive. I would say AGP makes the best 10 rounders out there. I have plenty and they work great.

mac66
12-28-2010, 11:47
I thought converted saigas and non converted saigas took different mags. I don't have one but I thought that was what I read. Maybe that is rifles and not shotguns. Does your drum work fine?

Just mentioning if you are buying mags but not planning on converting. Can anyone confirm or deny?

The Saiga 12 conversion doesn't have anything to do with the mags. In other words, you don't have to convert an S12 to use hi-cap mags

Liquid
12-31-2010, 08:45
thanks for the info. can anyone point me to a good vendor? is there any reason to stay away from the 12 round surefire ones?

liquid

LEAD
12-31-2010, 09:01
carolina shooters supply is great. I prefer APG mags to surefire, but surefire are my second pick. APG look better and for me function better, some people think surefire work better.

Make sure when you start using aftermarket parts on an unconverted gun you have enough US parts to not be in violation of the law, a stock saiga12 using, say a MD drum is illegal.

Liquid
12-31-2010, 14:20
Aren't surefire and md drums made in the US?

DaGroaner
01-02-2011, 21:50
The Saiga 12 conversion doesn't have anything to do with the mags. In other you don't have to convert an S12 to use hi-cap mags

That is true with regard to function, legally not so much. If you add a hi-cap mag 922(r) comes in to play.

DaGroaner
01-02-2011, 21:53
Aren't surefire and md drums made in the US?

There is a maximum of three US parts contained in the magazine. Not enough to satisfy the legal requirements.

aubie515
01-02-2011, 22:53
Agreed with above poster...if you want hi cap mags...do the conversion or pay for the conversion since you will not be in compliance with 922(r).

mac66
01-03-2011, 11:52
That is true with regard to function, legally not so much. If you add a hi-cap mag 922(r) comes in to play.

Only the 12 and 20 round drums are affected, and that only involves a one part difference.

To be honest I am not sure that 922(r) which regulates commercial importation is even relevant in that situation. In any case if someone handed me a 20 round drum to run through my Saiga at the range, I would not worry too much about the import parts police swooping down on me. If I started to convert Saigas as a business than I might have a concern about circumventing the import laws if I didn't use the right number of parts.

BTW, I converted my S12 with the legal number of parts.

LEAD
01-04-2011, 10:44
Only the 12 and 20 round drums are affected, and that only involves a one part difference.

To be honest I am not sure that 922(r) which regulates commercial importation is even relevant in that situation. In any case if someone handed me a 20 round drum to run through my Saiga at the range, I would not worry too much about the import parts police swooping down on me. If I started to convert Saigas as a business than I might have a concern about circumventing the import laws if I didn't use the right number of parts.

BTW, I converted my S12 with the legal number of parts.

Glad that you have your gun legal. However the 922r is relevant even to the end user, thats why when your read about people converting their Saigas and MAK90s ect. someone always mentions compliance parts.

heres a helpful link:
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance