Live Ejecting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Live Ejecting

nastytrigger
12-26-2010, 23:17
I was thumbing through Patrick Sweeney's 1st Edition of Book of the 1911. I've owned the book, and the sequel, for five years and have read through it several times. My question is on live ejecting. In a review of a Kimber Ultra CDP, a picture of the lowered/scalloped ejection port mentions it live ejects. I know live ejecting is ejecting live rounds. Did the 1911 have problems live ejecting? What exactly is the deal with ejecting live rounds with/without lowering the port? As long as they don't get ignited while I'm clearing, I'm happy. Enlighten me, please.

Jim S.
12-27-2010, 09:02
Older 1911's, or the G.I. replicas have a smaller opening on the top of the slide where the round ejects out of.
It has a tendancy to dent the brass as it is ejected because it hits the slide.
Not a problem if you do not care about reloading.
I doubt that hand cycling would do this as it is not done with the same force as when the gun is shot.
Almost all modern 1911's have the ejection port lowered and beveled to avoid this issue.
Like I said only the G.I. replicas and the older 1911's would be a problem.

BeckG19
12-27-2010, 12:27
Many new 1911 with extended ejectors have issue with ejecting live rounds due to clearance with slide. You can see new series 80 Colts are relieved more in the front of slide port for this reason. Most people never notice. They just shake the gun to get the round out. If you are an operator / Seal type you would care....other wise life goes on.

IndianaMatt
12-27-2010, 17:25
Many new 1911 with extended ejectors have issue with ejecting live rounds due to clearance with slide. You can see new series 80 Colts are relieved more in the front of slide port for this reason. Most people never notice. They just shake the gun to get the round out. If you are an operator / Seal type you would care....other wise life goes on.

Yes! I have a new 80 that's done this a couple of times.

I thought it was due to limp-wristing, but this is some kind of mechanical malfunction?

Please enlighten me, as I've spent almost a thousand bucks on a gun that doesn't shoot 100%.