Can the bore get so dirty that it starts getting damaged? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can the bore get so dirty that it starts getting damaged?

cowboy1964
12-27-2010, 00:42
My M&P has only 120 rounds though her so far and I've cleaned it once. Was thinking of doing a torture test, just shoot her till she stops. I'm just concerned with damaging the bore as it gets dirtier and dirtier. Should I at least snake the bore every 100 rounds or so?

Also, should I reapply lube occasionally or just let it run totally dry? Can anything be damaged by running dry?

MrMurphy
12-27-2010, 01:17
EAG Tactical ran 14,000+ rounds through a Colt without cleaning, just lube.

120 rounds is nothing. I'd boresnake it every 400-500 rounds, lube, wipe down the BCG, etc. But you're not a basic trainee. You CAN overclean it.

RMTactical
12-27-2010, 01:19
I've run thousands of rounds through AR15's without running so much as a boresnake through it. The bore shouldn't be damaged by being "dirty".

As for lube, yes, you can accelerate wear by not lubing the weapon.

If you want to torture it, sure, torture it. However, running an AR15 with plenty of lube is all you really need to do to keep the AR15 running. So, I am not sure that is much of a "torture test" even if you don't clean it.

faawrenchbndr
12-27-2010, 05:22
Copper fouling will be the only issue,......it's going to be a PITA to clean at the end of your "test".
You can and WILL damage the weapon running it dry, never understood these "torture tests"

Great way to accelerate wear and ruin a perfectly good firearm.

JBnTX
12-27-2010, 08:40
.... Was thinking of doing a torture test, just shoot her till she stops...

You'll go broke buying ammo long before your rifle "stops".:wavey:

lawman800
12-28-2010, 04:04
I've never heard of a weapon getting damaged because it's dirty, but I have heard of plenty of weapons getting damaged because you didn't lube it enough.

I run my AR's pretty wet, not dripping wet, but pretty wet. I also run my sidearms pretty wet, not as wet as my AR, but I like to have it nice and slick on the slide/frame contact points.

pat701
12-28-2010, 10:50
Just clean the barrel, and get better accuracy!!

Boxerglocker
12-28-2010, 11:03
I've never heard of a weapon getting damaged because it's dirty, but I have heard of plenty of weapons getting damaged because you didn't lube it enough.

I run my AR's pretty wet, not dripping wet, but pretty wet. I also run my sidearms pretty wet, not as wet as my AR, but I like to have it nice and slick on the slide/frame contact points.

I've pretty much decided to take your approach toward the care of my M4. I'm not one to spend time detailing any of my guns every outing in the past and don't intend to do different with my rifle.
Between sessions my routine will be just to do a quick chamber brush scrub with solvent, wipe. Boresnake the barrel a few times. Wipe the receiver clean. Relube with CLP, running it relatively wet.
I'll pull BCG every 500 to scrub clean and lube but for the most part will just take it out inspect for excessive carbon wipe it clean, lube, reinstall and shoot it some more.