Should I replace the plastic recoil spring guide on my Colt 1991... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace the plastic recoil spring guide on my Colt 1991...

IndianaMatt
12-27-2010, 12:49
with a metal one? I am always skeptical of plastic parts inside a gun. Although it doesn't seem like there's necessarily an imminent need to replace this plastic part with metal, it seems like a good idea.

Are metal ones even available aftermarket? Thanks!

Jim S.
12-27-2010, 12:57
Every 1911 part is available on-line.
Brownells is a great place to start.
You can get anything and everything for a 1911 on their web site.
I would replace any and all plastic parts on a 1991 Colt.
Trigger, Main Spring Housing and anything else that is plastic.
I also have a list of parts I change on cheapo 1911's and one that I think is important is the slide stop/ release. It takes a beating and I think that a good quality machined from tool steel part is in order.
I like the Bullet Proof parts you will see on the Brownells web site.

JBnTX
12-27-2010, 12:59
with a metal one? I am always skeptical of plastic parts inside a gun. Although it doesn't seem like there's necessarily an imminent need to replace this plastic part with metal, it seems like a good idea.

Are metal ones even available aftermarket? Thanks!

There's nothing wrong with the plastic one you have now.

Midway USA and Brownell's sell metal ones by a lot of aftermarket makers.

I've read that plastic guide rods are better than steel because they will flex
as the weapon recoils. This increases reliability and decreases wear.

knedrgr
12-27-2010, 13:01
...I am always skeptical of plastic parts inside a gun...

you should tell that to Glock... :animlol:

Jim S.
12-27-2010, 13:05
you should tell that to Glock... :animlol:

I expect plastic parts on a Glock. That's what they were designed with.
On a 1911 I want steel parts of good quality.
And since they are so easy to change I will always have good quality steel parts in my 1911's.
Keep the plastic on plastic guns.

JBnTX
12-27-2010, 13:07
I expect plastic parts on a Glock. That's what they were designed with.
On a 1911 I want steel parts of good quality.
And since they are so easy to change I will always have good quality stell parts in my 1911's.
Keep the plastic on plastic guns.

John Browning didn't have access to plastic parts.

But I'll bet if he had, the 1911 just might have a few.

Brucev
12-27-2010, 13:10
Oh the horror! The shame of it all! What an affront! What a unmitigated inexcusable debauching of designer understanding and intent. JMB would be spinning in his grave to know that such a travesty had been foisted on his penultimate design! The very nerve of penny pinching bottom line driven corporate functionaries who think that a functional part is a functional part even if it is made of plastic! Next thing you know, someone is going to start saying that no one really needs a recoil guide. Immediately replace that abomination spawned in the dark heartlessness of Dupont! Why, the next thing you know, someone will start saying that you can use plastic to make triggers and grips and magazines! Why, they'll even inject it into molds and call what comes out Glocks! :whistling:

Jim S.
12-27-2010, 13:11
I've read that plastic guide rods are better than steel because they will flex
as the weapon recoils. This increases reliability and decreases wear.

I've heard that said about Glocks. Never about a 1911.
I question the validity of this anyway as it really does not make sense.
What does a spring guide that doesn't even have to be there, since the torture test melted one out of a Glock and it still continued to fire.
If it flexes or not what would it matter.
I have stainless guide rods in both of my Glocks and I see no wear or problems with them after over 13,000 rounds through them both.

Jim S.
12-27-2010, 13:15
I keep forgetting that there are people who actually believe that "Glock Perfection" crap.

IndianaMatt
12-27-2010, 13:18
Oh the horror! The shame of it all! What an affront! What a unmitigated inexcusable debauching of designer understanding and intent. JMB would be spinning in his grave to know that such a travesty had been foisted on his penultimate design! The very nerve of penny pinching bottom line driven corporate functionaries who think that a functional part is a functional part even if it is made of plastic! Next thing you know, someone is going to start saying that no one really needs a recoil guide. Immediately replace that abomination spawned in the dark heartlessness of Dupont! Why, the next thing you know, someone will start saying that you can use plastic to make triggers and grips and magazines! Why, they'll even inject it into molds and call what comes out Glocks! :whistling:

Well, to be honest, initially I was considering replacing the plastic recoil spring guide with hardened tungsten carbide.

I found one online smelted with fire using the wood from JMB's casket, but alas, it was "sold out- on backorder" when I add to cart'd. :crying:

IndianaMatt
12-27-2010, 13:20
But thanks guys. You all made some great points and I do appreciate the feedback.

CAcop
12-27-2010, 14:28
Brownells sells Colt factory GI guide rods and plugs.