If you could only have 1..? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : If you could only have 1..?

Big A
12-27-2010, 14:03
Hello Fellow GTer's :wavey:

I have been wanting a 1911 for quite some time now and I'm gonna use the money I recieved for Christmas towards the purchase of one. What better year to buy a 1911 than 2011, right? I just want to do some research and get some recomendations from those who have already purchased one.

The features I want are:
Fixed night sites
Ambi-safety
Light rail
Beaver tail
Front strap chekering
Beveled mag-well

I've been wanting a Sprinfield Armory TRP or Lightweight Operator. However I am open to other sugesstions. The TRP's price is about as much as I am willing to spend but if another comparable 1911 to the TRP costs a little more I will definetly consider it. Also, what are some other features to consider looking for?

So if you could have only one with the options mentioned above, what would it be?

Thanks in advance to all those who reply :cool:

rsxr22
12-27-2010, 14:13
You are on the right track with the TRP, About the only other one that i would consider would be the STI Trojan. I prefer the 20 LPI checkering of the TRP, but if i didnt care for it, i would definitely own the Trojan. It is a great option and very well built. Honestly, there isnt much difference in quality and the Trojan is US made, if that matters to you. Its also a good deal too because its about 250-350 cheaper than a TRP.

rsxr22
12-27-2010, 14:14
Also check out the 1911 resource thread and read through Bac's section. Its a very good, informative read

Quack
12-27-2010, 14:19
The features I want are:
Fixed night sites
Ambi-safety
Light rail
Beaver tail
Front strap chekering
Beveled mag-well

get with the MC Operator, or LWT Operator and get the front strap checkered, magwell and refinish. it'll end up a little more than the TRP, but it'll be what you want.

the TRP has adjustable BoMar night sights. and it has a magwell, but it's not blended.

do you also have a preference of bull or bushing barrel?

Big A
12-27-2010, 14:25
the Trojan is US made, if that matters to you.

It does, Is the TRP not made in the US? I thought it was...

Quack
12-27-2010, 14:28
It does, Is the TRP not made in the US? I thought it was...

the TRP starts with a Forged Slide & frame from IMBEL (Brazil) and final machining/fitting is done in the US.

the STI is a cast frame, adjustable sight (standard) and no light rail, so it won't fit what you had for needs.

Big A
12-27-2010, 14:29
get with the MC Operator, or LWT Operator and get the front strap checkered, magwell and refinish. it'll end up a little more than the TRP, but it'll be what you want.

the TRP has adjustable BoMar night sights. and it has a magwell, but it's not blended.

do you also have a preference of bull or bushing barrel?

The SA website lists 1 with fixed night sites but no rail, I was wondering if I could order 1 with the rail and fixed sights.

I don't know what the difference in the two barrels are. I know what a bull barrel is on a rifle, what is the difference in the 1911? The bushing barrel was the way it was originally designed right?

Quack
12-27-2010, 14:31
The SA website lists 1 with fixed night sites but no rail, I was wondering if I could order 1 with the rail and fixed sights.

I don't know what the difference in the two barrels are. I know what a bull barrel is on a rifle, what is the difference in the 1911? The bushing barrel was the way it was originally designed right?

from the Custom shop for about $2400+ or find a Professional Operator (~$2600)
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1099073438_RFwCB-L.jpg

it would be easier to start with a MC or LWT Operator and build to your needs.

G27RR
12-27-2010, 14:47
Take a look at the STI Duty One. That's what I will buy to fill my 1911 with a rail niche.

MSRP $1299.00
Caliber 9x19, .40 S&W, .45 ACP
Frame STI 1911 Frame with Integral Tactical Rail, 30 LPI Front Strap Checkering, Undercut Trigger Guard
Grips Diagonal G10 Mycarta Grip Panels
Slide 5.0" Flat Top With STI Front and Rear Cocking Serrations
Trigger STI Long Curved
Barrel STI Bull barrel, 5.0" Ramped, Fully Supported
Safeties STI High-Ride Beavertail Grip Safety, Ambidextrous Thumb Safeties
Guide Rod STI RecoilMaster
Sights STI Ramped Front, Heinie Fixed Rear (tritium $65 option)
Overall Length 8.5"
Weight 37.2 oz.
Finish Blued Matte Finish Competition Approvals Pending

http://stiguns.com/guns/DutyOne/DutyOne.php

http://media.stiguns.com/USPress/AmericanHandgunner/Jan06/AmericanHandgunner01-06_TacticalDutyOne.pdf

Hokie1911
12-27-2010, 14:52

This. :thumbsup:

Wade-19
12-27-2010, 15:39
Get the Trojan and a Dawson rail .