Convert Remington 1100 to tactical? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Convert Remington 1100 to tactical?

button man
12-27-2010, 20:47
Have a 40 year old Remington 1100, 28 inch modified barrell in excellent condition. I was entertaining the thought of getting a short barrell and a mag extension to take a stab at making it more tactical. Does this sound practical or would a factory rig be more practical?

Matthew Courtney
12-28-2010, 02:24
I have two 12 gauge 1100's that I have modified by cutting the barrels to 21 inches, adding high vis sights, and magazine extensions to. I did one in the early 1990's and one about 10 years ago. It is relatively easy and cheap to do if you are handy with basic tools and can follow written instructions. The hardest part is reblueing the cut point on the barrel and adding sights. You could just buy a 21 inch barrel with sights, but you could pick up another 1100 at a pawn shop for what that would cost you.

In any case, both of mine function fine with buckshot, birdshot, and slugs. Slugs group 8 inches at 100 yds, while buckshot opens up to about 15 inches at 25 yards, so that is what I consider the maximun ranges for those loadings. I use the birdshot for skeet and balloons to stay in practice.

The handling characteristics are a lot different with an extended mag that is fully loaded, as the gu is not just heavier, but more of the weight is forward.

machman
12-28-2010, 17:20
Have a 40 year old Remington 1100, 28 inch modified barrell in excellent condition. I was entertaining the thought of getting a short barrell and a mag extension to take a stab at making it more tactical. Does this sound practical or would a factory rig be more practical?

The shorter barrel would be much more practical IMO. I would go for it if you don't need the gun for hunting. If you have a buddy that is a machinist, they could even "face" or "mill" the barrel to length. You could also purchase a used barrel off gunbroker. As far as the extension goes, the most affordable option is probably a Choate.