Tools needed to build a stripped lower [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tools needed to build a stripped lower

catalyst686
12-28-2010, 05:46
Can someone please recommend the tools I will need in order to complete my lower. I have a Spikes stripped lower and a complete lower parts kit
(MOE). I've watched a few reviews and didn't gather much info besides
"I like this hammer the best because it won't leave marks' -
ok so what kind of hammer is it! or here are my punches i use they work really well' - ok are the brass? what are they?
so if anyone has good info or a list of tools that I need please help me out.

scromer
12-28-2010, 06:46
Start looking at these videos and you get a good idea

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/GunTechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR_15_Video

AF-Odin
12-28-2010, 17:44
I am NOT the world's expert, but over the last several years, I have built a total of 6 ARs of various configurations from stripped lowers and various brands of modestly priced parts kits. The only tools have been a decent set of punches, a small hammer (hard plastic on one end and rubber on the other), a pair of small needle nosed pliers, and some electrical tape to mask off the receiver when you are putting roll pins in slike the one that holds the bolt catch, and a set of jeweler's screwdrivers. Brownell's sells a tool for $7-$10 or so for putting the spring and detent pin in to assemble the pivot pin---this tool will save you lots of frustration and baaaad words (at least it did for me)--I did not have this tool for the first two, but used it on all others. There is one more speciallized tool that I highly recommend---a 2 Gallon clear baggie----this will save a lot of frustration when you launch the pivot pin--remember, I said WHEN, not IF. Even with the special installation tool for installing the pivot pin I launch the detent pin a number of times before it goes in.

GOOD LUCK.

PS: Good step by step assembly instructions on AR15.com

RMTactical
12-28-2010, 17:50
-Pin Punches
-Small gunsmithing hammer/mallet
-CAR Stock Wrench (for carbine stock installation)
-Allen wrench and/or Flat Head Screw Driver (depending on the stock and pistol grip screw)
-Loctite (Non-permanent Loctite is recommended on all screws)

http://www.ar15pro.net/2008/10/ar15-lower-receiver-assembly.html

humanguerrilla
12-28-2010, 18:05
I like roll pin punches (punches with little tit on the end) for the roll pins
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=191653

piece of cardstock/cardboard to go in between punch and receiver to protect it when fiddling with and driving the bolt catch pin
or taped vice grips if you intend to squeeze your pins in [don't like this method]

I'd spend a little more for a decent stock wrench and maybe one of the multi function/ all in one AR wrench deals if you intend to be taking stocks off. Cheap one isn't very useful and bends.

catalyst686
12-29-2010, 03:03
Thanks fellas!

VictoryRider
12-29-2010, 04:32
Excellent advice previously in this thread. I will add a few things that make the job easier. A block to clamp in a vise to hold the receiver is not absolutely necessary but does make the assembly process easier by holding the receiver steady while you use 2 hands to install parts. There is a tool that goes through the front pivot pin holes with a hole drilled in it that makes installing the front pivot pin detent much easier. Again not required but make the assembly process go easier. You can also use a 1/4" hitch pin from Lowes or Home Depot. A trick I learned the hard way is to use a small drill bit to clean out the front pivot pin detent hole. Sometime crud is left in the hole and can make installing the detent and spring impossible. I once had a detent pin stuck in the hole that was a ***** to get back out because I didn't clean out the hole.

gh0st614
12-29-2010, 09:15
piece of cardstock/cardboard to go in between punch and receiver to protect it when fiddling with and driving the bolt catch pin
or taped vice grips if you intend to squeeze your pins in [don't like this method]

I'd spend a little more for a decent stock wrench and maybe one of the multi function/ all in one AR wrench deals if you intend to be taking stocks off. Cheap one isn't very useful and bends.

Thats about what I typed last night, I dont know why it didnt post the only exception is I just bought the cheapest set of punches I could find.

FatBoy
12-29-2010, 17:21
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/Home/RangeBag/AR15StrippedLower

Watch these videos. He explains the tools he uses in the begining. I personally like the razor/sheet rock knife trick for the front take down pin.

Oh, tape is your friend.

FB

EOD3
12-29-2010, 22:48
-Pin Punches
-Small gunsmithing hammer/mallet
-CAR Stock Wrench (for carbine stock installation)
-Allen wrench and/or Flat Head Screw Driver (depending on the stock and pistol grip screw)
-Loctite (Non-permanent Loctite is recommended on all screws)

What screws? Other than the grip screw, (which I wouldn't loctite), there aren't any, are there?

EOD3
12-29-2010, 22:53
One more bit of advice, be certain to support the "fins" when you put the trigger guard pin in. They stick out and fairly BEG to be broken off. :crying:

faawrenchbndr
12-30-2010, 04:10
As far as a pin pinch,.......use a large nail set. Notmally they come in sets of three at Lowes Home Depot.

You can make a tool for the pivot pin spring/detent install.
If you do not, be sure to place the receiver in a gallon zip lock bag and work it that way.
That little detent will fly 20 feet if allowed to. :faint:

Pm me if you need info on making the detent install tool

RMTactical
12-30-2010, 09:25
What screws? Other than the grip screw, (which I wouldn't loctite), there aren't any, are there?

I use non-perm loctite. And yes, like I said in my original post, depending on the stock.

vafish
12-30-2010, 11:22
As far as a pin pinch,.......use a large nail set. Notmally they come in sets of three at Lowes Home Depot.

You can make a tool for the pivot pin spring/detent install.
If you do not, be sure to place the receiver in a gallon zip lock bag and work it that way.
That little detent will fly 20 feet if allowed to. :faint:

Pm me if you need info on making the detent install tool

Use a 1/4" x 1 1/2" clevis pin to install the detent on the front take down pin.

I also prefer to use vise grips to install the roll pins.

faawrenchbndr
12-30-2010, 11:27
Yes,.....that would work as well.

screaminbeagle
12-30-2010, 13:17
that allen screw in the front of the moe trigger guard.....

catalyst686
01-10-2011, 18:49
Just received confirmation that my Spikes lower was sent out today, will be here by the 13th. I got my Magpul lower kit last week with magpul flip up sights. I ordered a nylon/ brass hammer today and I got punches, snap caps, an AR cleaning kit, along with around 400 rounds of 223. Here's a few pics with the stuff I got, along with some other tools I'll need, I'll take pics throughout the build as well! Wish me luck!
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac355/catalyst686/IMAG0800.jpghttp://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac355/catalyst686/IMAG0798.jpghttp://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac355/catalyst686/IMAG0784.jpg

MisterPX
01-10-2011, 18:58
Try a slip joint plier for intalling the bolt catch pin, lot easier than using three hands to punch it in.

catalyst686
01-10-2011, 18:59
Try a slip joint plier for intalling the bolt catch pin, lot easier than using three hands to punch it in.

I think I've got one laying around, I'll try it out, thanks!

EOD3
01-11-2011, 00:50
TAPE, tape, tape, either the blue painters tape (my favorite) or masking tape. If you have a hammer or punch in your hands, the receiver should have tape to protect it.

RMTactical
01-11-2011, 01:14
Something to remember when installing your LPK: Oil on the pins will help them all go in much easier. This means less "banging" on the pins and less stress and less potential damage to the receiver.

catalyst686
01-11-2011, 02:56
Something to remember when installing your LPK: Oil on the pins will help them all go in much easier. This means less "banging" on the pins and less stress and less potential damage to the receiver.

Seems like everything in the LPK bag has a decent amount of oil on it already, its started to dry up after I took the parts out, so I'll put some more on. I just bought some stuff from you by the way, thanks!