Question on Gun Grease [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question on Gun Grease

obiestreasures
12-28-2010, 07:30
Was wondering about using grease on the AR Bolt. So far on all my glocks and the AR15 I have been using CLP and been wondering about using a good gun grease on the bolt on the AR and on the glock using it on the rails. There are a ton of brands of grease out there and some are using auto bearing grease on there weapons. After looking around I saw a bunch of good reviews on a grease called "Tera Gun Grease". which is carried by Midway U.S.A. and Cheaper than Dirt and Lonewolf and other web sites...So whats your thoughts on using grease on these moving parts and what brand of grease are you using ?
I've been using CLP on all my weapons for years now and have never had any problems with them.

Thanks
Ron

MrMurphy
12-28-2010, 11:35
Slip 2000.

JBnTX
12-28-2010, 11:42
A "little" grease where metal rubs on metal can't hurt anything.
Remember, a little goes a long way. Putting just a smear of it on with
your finger is plenty.

Tetra Gun Grease is good stuff.

I've been using Hoppe's 9 and BreakFree CLP on all my firearms since the
mid 1970s with no problems.

mstennes
12-29-2010, 14:25
Break Free or in pinch I have used teflon wheel bearing grease. As said above a little goes along way

K. Foster
12-30-2010, 09:18
The type of lubricant used is less important that keeping your rifle properly lubed. I don’t use grease in AR’s but some people do. There’s nothing wrong with synthetic motor oil. If it’ll lube your engine, it’ll lube your gun.

Three-Five-Seven
12-30-2010, 09:31
After losing a big match on the first stage because of solidified grease on a cold morning, my love affair with the stuff is over. Machine oil for gunz for me from now on.

faawrenchbndr
12-30-2010, 11:24
I normally use only MiliTech 1 oil.
If I use grease, like on my Garand, I use Mil-Comm TW-25b

Rebel_James
12-30-2010, 18:04
Read this, and run it WET.

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

SigPro2022
12-30-2010, 22:26
Slip 2000.

This. It works good, and stays put.

GenoTac Ind.
12-30-2010, 22:31
Mobile 1 and Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I use the stabilizer to thicken the oil and keep from getting run offs and dry offs. Been using it on all my guns and they are never "dry".

Suburban
12-30-2010, 22:49
The type of lubricant used is less important that keeping your rifle properly lubed. I don’t use grease in AR’s but some people do. There’s nothing wrong with synthetic motor oil. If it’ll lube your engine, it’ll lube your gun.

I think this is true.

I'm sure the Slip 2000 stuff is great, but it's like $50/pint. No thanks. TW-25 is even crazier at $80/pint. If KY, Vagisil, sun tan lotion, and butter work, I guess all else is equal, and I'll just use $4/pound bearing grease or motor oil. If I could write the stuff off as a business expense, or I was "getting comped," that might be a different matter.

I've had CLP either run off or evaporate, which seems to lead to problems. I use it sometimes as a rust preventive, but really don't use it much anymore. I think it sucks as a cleaning solvent, so I stopped using it for that a long time ago.

Mad Ryan
12-30-2010, 22:57
I use leftover synthetic motor oil from changing the oil in my car or bike. Usually it's Redline or Royal Purple. I also run my AR fairly wet. Back when I was getting paid to shoot for a living we ran our '16's really wet and never had issues, plus they were lots easier to clean at the end of the day as stuff tended not to cake up and bake on.

Just my nickel's worth.

kirgi08
12-30-2010, 23:52
I love clp,just my 02 though.'08.

steve1911
12-31-2010, 01:08
Another vote for Slip 2000.

1911club#410

crazymoose
12-31-2010, 01:44
Personally, the only place I put grease on an AR is where the cam pin contacts the cam in the bolt carrier. Usually Shooter's Choice.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

glock22357
12-31-2010, 14:18
Another vote for synthetic motor oils like Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. One very nice attribute to using them is that they make cleaning easier, due to their high level of detergents and anti-carbon properties. Not to mention they lube just as good as anything else out there.

faawrenchbndr
12-31-2010, 15:16
Try this,........works VERY well.

-Lizzard Snot
12 ounces Mobil 1 10W30
8 ounces synthetic ATF
8 ounces Marvel Mystery Oil
4 ounces STP engine treatment
4 ounces Kano Kroil

ezterra
01-01-2011, 01:02
Slip 2000. Use it on all my weapons now. It worked awesome for my M4 and M240B in Iraq. Kept my weapons lubed but didn't attract dust like CLP did. It's awesome stuff.

RMTactical
01-01-2011, 01:44
For some reason when I saw this thread I kept thinking it said "Question on Grease Guns" and I was just thinking, why would someone post a question about Grease Guns in the BRC? lol

humanguerrilla
01-01-2011, 05:26
Anyone use Gun Butter? Just discovered the stuff and read special section of how to lube ARs with it...

Aurora
01-01-2011, 07:10
I've never even considered researching the oils and grease that we use on our firearms. It's an aspect of this hobby I've never looked into so I've been doing some research.

Here's the Grant Cunningham article in case you haven't seen it;....

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

You may be interested in having a look around this website/forum if you're interested in oil and grease. It has a section for firearms;...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Most of the oil and grease that I've done research on are not remarkable, especially the products that are offered for firearm use. The very best lubes are made for industry and they usually only sell in bulk. We don't even factor into their business plans, which is unfortunate but understandable.

I would suggest that all interested parties take the time to download the product's MSDS sheet and any product sheets or flyers. If the company doesn't offer one, or offers an abbreviated version, then there's some "funny stuff" going on. Good companies do their homework and know what industry and industrial law expects of their products. Be informed and do your homework.

My opinion, of course.

V.

Gunnut 45/454
01-01-2011, 09:32
Been running my two AR's with suprtech 5W30. At $4 a quart it will last years and have never had a lubrication stopage! And yes I run them wet! Not dripping wet but wet! Clean up is a breeze- wipe the bolt down and relube! No carbon build up!:supergrin:

1811guy
01-01-2011, 23:36
Militec-1. If grease is required, I use Militec-1 grease.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-03-2011, 07:23
Another vote for Mobil 1 synthetic and Lucas. If it needs grease it gets synthetic bearing grease...needs oil read above. Gun oils are usually watered down versions of car oils...I'd rather pay $5 once every year for a quart of Mobil than $8.50 for 4oz of "gun" oil...mine doesn't evaporate either...

jdavionic
01-03-2011, 07:41
Anyone use Gun Butter? Just discovered the stuff and read special section of how to lube ARs with it...

I use gun butter on the bolt. I use it on other guns as well. I haven't had any issues with it. I also shoot USPSA and know several guys that use it there as well.