Old slow notebook - do a system restore? Is this PC worth the trouble? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Old slow notebook - do a system restore? Is this PC worth the trouble?

Z71bill
12-28-2010, 12:08
I just bought a new HP notebook PC with the Intel i5 CPU - dam it is fast :shocked:

It replaced an old Gateway 7330GZ - that has

Processor Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 532 with HT Technology
(1MB L2 Cache | 3.06GHz | 533MHz FSB)

Chip set Intel® 852GME

Memory 512 MB DDR (1 × 512 MB), 333 MHz, DDR
Expandable to 1.5 GB (I upgraded the memory to the max a few years ago)

It has an 80 GB hard drive.

It its day it was an OK machine - but it now takes 4 or 5 seconds just to load IE - 45 seconds to load AOL 9.5 (still use AOL for Email:embarassed:)

If you want the complete specs :dunno:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/7000Series/4997sp3.shtml

-----------------

If I want to set this PC up just as a way to surf the net - and get Email - maybe check my brokerage account.

Is it even worth messing with?

If I do a complete restore - reset it back to when it was new - will I just be wasting my time?

I doubt I have the skill to do anything too fancy (like load Google Chrome) but I have nothing to lose -

If I don't find a way to make it a little faster - it will end up in the back of the closet.

I have these choices --

1. System Recovery From Hard Drive

2. System Recovery from Recovery CDs (I made these when PC was new - have never used them)

Plus I need to decide

A. Full System Restore (Destructive) or

B. Full System Restore (with Backup)

Any advise appreciated!

IndyGunFreak
12-28-2010, 12:11
3/C. http://www.lubuntu.net :)

No time like the present, especially w/ a spare machine. Use AOL's website for your email... I didn't even know they still made their bloat ware "internet software"

solomansousana
12-28-2010, 12:11
I'd say take it back to the state it was after you bought it. This will reformat the drive and reinstall the OS cleanly

Z71bill
12-28-2010, 22:29
Well I tried to do a restore - first from the original back up on the hard drive (partition "D" drive")- that did not work - then from the back up CDs I made when the PC was new.

Both times it looks like everything is going great - asks me to restart -which I do - Windows screen comes up - then it says

Installing Devices - set up is detecting and installing devises on your computer

and the blue bar that indicates progress gets about 1/2 way and it locks up.

I am stuck - looking for options besides target practice.

Chevytuff19
12-28-2010, 22:34
If you have a little spare cash, grab you a small SSD and do a fresh operating system install on it. Should run pretty well after that. I just wish I could afford a SSD big enough to replace my Raid 0 array on my desktop.

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2010, 04:19
Installing Devices - set up is detecting and installing devises on your computer and the blue bar that indicates progress gets about 1/2 way and it locks up.

Refer to post #2

rjrivero
12-29-2010, 06:52
3/C. http://www.lubuntu.net :)

No time like the present, especially w/ a spare machine. Use AOL's website for your email... I didn't even know they still made their bloat ware "internet software"
VERY TRUE. It's impressive how well an old machine with lubuntu works. Better than most NETBOOKS on the retail floor with that VIRUS called WINDOWS.

mgo
12-29-2010, 07:19
Since your attempt to restore the machine to factory original failed, perhaps you might want to do:

1: defragment the hard drive

2: add more RAM, since 512 mb is very puny, and your linked specs page shows the machine will handle up to 1.5 gig of RAM

3: see if the machine will run Windows 7. Microsoft has a online site that will check to see if it has the hardware capability for that.

4: HP would likely have drivers and other things for the machine that you can get by downloading them. (you probably already know that)

Z71bill
12-29-2010, 08:33
Since your attempt to restore the machine to factory original failed, perhaps you might want to do:

1: defragment the hard drive

2: add more RAM, since 512 mb is very puny, and your linked specs page shows the machine will handle up to 1.5 gig of RAM

3: see if the machine will run Windows 7. Microsoft has a online site that will check to see if it has the hardware capability for that.

4: HP would likely have drivers and other things for the machine that you can get by downloading them. (you probably already know that)

The PC will not even start up completely now - it gets stuck - can't even move the mouse -on WINDOWS XP SETUP

I added the RAM to 1.5 a few years ago - I am wondering if I need to TAKE it out - do the recovery - then add it back - the extra memory is the only change to the PC.

Pierre!
12-29-2010, 09:01
Personally, it sounds infected.

Many HiJacks will not allow a reinstall to complete for one reason or another... you need to run Darik's Boot N Nuke on it, then try the reinstallatioin.

Sudden, or even gradual slow downs on Windows computers are a clue that they should be maintenanced - Backed up, Delete temp files, Deep Virus Scan (in SAFE MODE), Deep Malware Scan (while you are still in SAFE MODE), CHKDSK, the Defrag.

Lots of this can be setup as batchfiles and automated for the weekend or other down time.

I'm betting you were HiJacked, or the disk is out of "spare sectors". Try Darik's Boot and Nuke and let us know what happens.

HTH

Z71bill
12-29-2010, 09:23
Personally, it sounds infected.

Many HiJacks will not allow a reinstall to complete for one reason or another... you need to run Darik's Boot N Nuke on it, then try the reinstallatioin.

Sudden, or even gradual slow downs on Windows computers are a clue that they should be maintenanced - Backed up, Delete temp files, Deep Virus Scan (in SAFE MODE), Deep Malware Scan (while you are still in SAFE MODE), CHKDSK, the Defrag.

Lots of this can be setup as batchfiles and automated for the weekend or other down time.

I'm betting you were HiJacked, or the disk is out of "spare sectors". Try Darik's Boot and Nuke and let us know what happens.

HTH

I am a novice at PC stuff - I figured if I did a complete destructive restore it would reformat the hard drive - KILLING anything that could be hiding on it - and then reinstall the factory software.

I had no idea that a virus could survive this -

I burned a DVD of Darik's Boot and Nuke will give it a try.

Z71bill
12-29-2010, 09:57
Can't get Boot & Nuke - to boot up

I put the CD in the drive - turn on the PC - hit F10 - select CD/DVD - hit enter - and it still tries to boot from the hard drive.

Do I get better penetration on a notebook using 9MM +P+ or 45 ACP?

I tried to do another boot - it locks up and then a LOUD SIREN goes off WTF is that?

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2010, 10:40

I put the CD in the drive - turn on the PC - hit F10 - select CD/DVD - hit enter - and it still tries to boot from the hard drive.

Do I get better penetration on a notebook using 9MM +P+ or 45 ACP?

I tried to do another boot - it locks up and then a LOUD SIREN goes off WTF is that?

I still don't think that's a target notebook.. Especially if it actually has 1.5gig of ram, as opposed to 512mb.

Download regular Ubuntu if thats the case... A virus isn't going to keep you from doing a restore. If boot and nuke (which isn't going to help you in this case I don't think). How did you burn Boot and Nuke?

My first thought, is you didn't burn the disk properly.

1. Download ISO Recorder -- http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

2. Follow the instructions here to use ISO recorder to burn the ISO to disk-- http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

That should at least get boot and nuke to boot... unless your CD drive is messed up.

If you've got 1.5gigs of Ram, download the full featured Ubuntu, rather than Lubuntu. Don't limit yourself to Gatesian nonsense. :)

http://www.ubuntu.com

Pierre!
12-29-2010, 10:41
*oUcH*

Did you burn the ISO to the CD? You do want to download the ISO so that it will burn as a bootable disk - Which CD/DVD burning application are you using?

You also may wish to pull the battery and re-seat the hard drive. Should be pretty simple, and may require a philips head screwdriver if it won't pull out easily.

Viruses usually don't survive a format, but HiJacking tools are actually built that way at times. They want to *own* your computer!

Keep working on it, or throw caution to the wind and try Linux. I am an openSUSE kinda guy myself...

HTH

Z71bill
12-29-2010, 11:10
I just saved the boot & nuke file on a DVD - and then on a CD -

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2010, 11:16
I just saved the boot & nuke file on a DVD - and then on a CD -

That's the problem.

You need to follow the instructions "How to burn an ISO" in my above post. An ISO has to be burned as an image, so it can be made bootable.

IGF

Z71bill
12-29-2010, 12:44
That's the problem.

You need to follow the instructions "How to burn an ISO" in my above post. An ISO has to be burned as an image, so it can be made bootable.

IGF

Got the CD downloaded and IT NOW boots up my broken notebook - now all I need to do is figure out how to run it. :embarassed:

Looks like it is wiping the hard drive - says it will take 3 hours and 45 minutes.

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2010, 12:48
Got the CD downloaded and IT NOW boots up my broken notebook - now all I need to do is figure out how to run it. :embarassed:

That I can't help you with... just pay attention, that software I believe is designed to nuke entire drives. Your drive contains your restore partition, and you need that to restore Windows.

IGF

Z71bill
12-29-2010, 12:54
That I can't help you with... just pay attention, that software I believe is designed to nuke entire drives. Your drive contains your restore partition, and you need that to restore Windows.

IGF

I have the CDs to do a restore - I am nuking the whole hard drive - hope that is not a BIG mistake. :upeyes:

Pierre!
12-29-2010, 13:16
Seems to me you already 'tested' the CD's out, it just hung on drivers or something odd...

Sounds like you are on the way to having hard drive that is *clean as a whistle*...

HTH

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2010, 13:20
Seems to me you already 'tested' the CD's out, it just hung on drivers or something odd...

Sounds like you are on the way to having hard drive that is *clean as a whistle*...

HTH

The perfect setup for Ubuntu

IGF

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2010, 13:29
*oUcH*

Did you burn the ISO to the CD? You do want to download the ISO so that it will burn as a bootable disk - Which CD/DVD burning application are you using?

You also may wish to pull the battery and re-seat the hard drive. Should be pretty simple, and may require a philips head screwdriver if it won't pull out easily.

Viruses usually don't survive a format, but HiJacking tools are actually built that way at times. They want to *own* your computer!

Keep working on it, or throw caution to the wind and try Linux. I am an openSUSE kinda guy myself...

HTH

I just fixed a computer the other day that was a train wreck, and it all started as a virus..

XP got a virus.. guy couldn't clear it, wouldn't let him online, etc. Tried to boot recovery partition, failed. Then(and this is awesome) he borrows an XP Pro CD from a friend, and tries to setup a dual boot XP Home and XP Pro..lol. I have no idea what he did, but he'd get a boot menu with Home and Pro... Home would boot, but immediately freeze. Pro would fail to a DOS prompt w/ some long error.

My usual threshold is 60min, before I recommend a Format... I probably could have cleared the viruses, etc..with a live CD. I had no idea what the heck was going on with this dual boot system he set up, and frankly, neither did he..lol. Ended up formatting the whole drive, used my XP Home CD(with his Key) and reinstalled XP...

For some reason I laughed pretty hard during all that.

Z71bill
12-29-2010, 13:35

HTH

I get the feeling clean as a whistle may not be a good thing.

The restore program on the hard drive (partition D) and the CD back up disks did the exact same thing - I am between a rock and a hard place.

Strange the time remaining is now 5 hours -

I appreciate the help - and am looking at the bright side - once I learn something the HARD way I don't forget it. :upeyes:

Pierre!
12-29-2010, 13:59
Don't sweat yet!

If there was code on the hard drive from a HiJack event, then it would fail both the 'Recovery Partition' and the 'Backup CD' attempts in the same manner... and I think you mentioned this.

If it is the hard drive it's self having issues then it may not finish the Boot N Nuke process.

Anyway you slice it, you will be closer to the actual cause of your issues.

AND - you have learned something...

HTH

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2010, 14:24
I get the feeling clean as a whistle may not be a good thing.

The restore program on the hard drive (partition D) and the CD back up disks did the exact same thing - I am between a rock and a hard place.

Strange the time remaining is now 5 hours -

I appreciate the help - and am looking at the bright side - once I learn something the HARD way I don't forget it. :upeyes:

Well, don't just discard it if this doesn't work. Ubuntu should make that laptop more than usable.

Z71bill
12-29-2010, 15:44
Well, don't just discard it if this doesn't work. Ubuntu should make that laptop more than usable.

I pulled up some info on Ubuntu - it was like walking into a blizzard - :shocked:

I am not saying it is not a good system - but just figuring out where to start - it is like I am in second grade - just learning to do simple math and someone tells me to use some calculus. :dunno:

If my complete hard drive wipe - restore does not work I will need to step back and look at what I do next. I still have some old Window98 software. :supergrin:

My neighbor has a friend that (as a hobby of sorts) takes old laptops & notebooks that no one wants. Performs some sort of magic on them so they can be used to surf the net and other simple things - he then gives them to kids that would not other wise be able to have a computer.

He did one as a gift for her kids and she said it was actually FASTER than her expensive laptop she uses at work. As a last resort I would give the computer to him and at least it would end up helping a kid.

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2010, 15:49
I pulled up some info on Ubuntu - it was like walking into a blizzard - :shocked:.

It's not that bad... It's just not Windows, and it is a learning process.

Download a Live CD, burn it(as an image :) ) boot it from CD and try it. You can try it w/o installing.

http://releases.ubuntu.com//maverick/ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso

Z71bill
12-29-2010, 21:03
Used the Boot & Nuke Cd - wiped the drive clean - looked like the drive checked out OK - no errors -

So I ran the restore CDs - everything looked good - until it locked up - in the exact same place as before.

Not sure what my next move is - not even going to mess with it until later tomorrow -

Thanks for the help so far - but i think the restore software from Gateway is the problem.

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2010, 21:15
Used the Boot & Nuke Cd - wiped the drive clean - looked like the drive checked out OK - no errors -

So I ran the restore CDs - everything looked good - until it locked up - in the exact same place as before.

Not sure what my next move is - not even going to mess with it until later tomorrow -

Thanks for the help so far - but i think the restore software from Gateway is the problem.

If the CD's aren't working.. your options are limited...

I've given you your next option multiple times.. ;).

It's really not that hard.

kirklite99
12-29-2010, 21:54

Who cares. You need a bigger/faster hard drive anyway. I "restored" a 7 year old Fujitsu Lifebook P5020D. Did a clean XP install and bumped the ram up to the max of 1GB and installed a faster 120GB hard drive. It's like a new machine now and I'm using it this very minute. Total cost to "update" was just over $100. :cool:

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2010, 22:14
Who cares. You need a bigger/faster hard drive anyway. I "restored" a 7 year old Fujitsu Lifebook P5020D. Did a clean XP install and bumped the ram up to the max of 1GB and installed a faster 120GB hard drive. It's like a new machine now and I'm using it this very minute. Total cost to "update" was just over $100. :cool:

Can't read entire thread..

:)

Pierre!
12-29-2010, 22:49
Well, honestly, it may be a piece of hardware malfunctioning.

It really would help to know where it's hanging up, cause that is a clue that I would find vital to take it to the next step.

See if Ubuntu will boot up - won't cost you a dime, and if it doesn't boot up completely either... again, this would be a clue and you should consider writing down exactly what the screen says when it locks up. Could be graphics, could be hard drive, could be CD-Rom, and possibly heat involved in the deal.

Feel free to keep us posted, and the more real data we have the less we need to guess! :cool:

Hang in there... you are closer to a 'cure' for this sick notebook.

Which reminds me, I have a completely disassembled notebook in my closet! I should rebuild it before I forget how it goes together!!! :supergrin:

HTH

Z71bill
12-30-2010, 08:41
It has locked up in the same places - after I did the restore -

First restore was from the back up partition on the hard drive (from factory)- I selected the option to make a back up of my existing data -

Second restore was from back up hard drive partition - I selected destructive option.

Third restore was from CD back up files I made when PC was new - I selected destructive option

Forth restore was from CD after I ran Boot & Nuke and wiped the hard drive clean.

In each case after the restore it ask me to restart the computer - and every time it was the exact same situation.

After I hit restart it seems to start up fine - Windows starting up message - please wait - then it goes to a screen that says

"Installing Devices - set up is detecting and installing devices on your computer"

A blue progress bar come up - it gets about 50% of being complete very fast - then stops - then moves about another inch - then locks up - even the mouse pointer will not move. I left it here for a few hours - no change.

THEN I finally give up and hit the power button to turn the machine off - and try to restart it - and every time it is the exact same thing

I gets to the Windows XP Setup screen - please wait and then it locks up tight - mouse pointer will not even move.

:dunno:

Z71bill
12-30-2010, 08:47
I can download individual device drivers from the Gateway web sight based on my serial number - but unless I can get the PC to boot up I have no idea how to install them.

I even tried to use the chat with a tech from Gateway - he said he could solve my problem - said he thought the hard drive was not being recognized - which seems impossible - but what do I know.:embarassed:

He had me go into the BIOS and he said I will not see my hard drive listed - but it was there - and then he said - can't help you and he disconnected. :steamed:

BTW this PC is 7+ years out of warranty.

Z71bill
12-30-2010, 09:05
I am downloading Ubuntu

But am wondering -

I have the software product key for Windows XP Home Edition that was installed on the PC when it was purchased -

Can I download the software from MS web sight - or somehow get a copy of XP?

Goodspeed(TPF)
12-30-2010, 09:19
To bad you're not local as I'd just do it for ya. :wavey:

Here, click this. http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65732/X15-65732.iso

Then burn the .iso to a DvD and boot your laptop from it. Install as usual. Enjoy for 30 days free of charge and if you like it, buy it. Completely legal.

https://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool You can use a USB drive to install it too.

" Overview

When you choose to download most software from the Microsoft Store, you have the option of using Download Manager or downloading from your browser. However, when you purchase Microsoft Windows 7 from Microsoft Store, you have an additional choice to make: whether to download a collection of compressed files or to download an ISO file. An ISO file combines all the Windows 7 installation files into a single uncompressed file.
If you choose to download an ISO file (so that you can create a bootable file from a DVD or USB flash drive), copy your Windows 7 ISO file onto your media and, run the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. After you do this, you can install Windows 7 onto your computer directly from the USB flash drive or DVD.
Note: When you download the ISO file, you must copy the file onto a USB flash drive or a DVD to install Windows 7. When you're ready to install Windows 7, insert the USB flash drive into your USB port or insert your DVD into your DVD drive, and then run Setup.exe from the root folder on the drive.
The advantage to following this process and creating bootable media is that it allows you to install Windows 7 without having to first run an existing operating system on your machine. If you change the boot order of drives in your computer's BIOS, you can run the Windows 7 installation directly from your USB flash drive or from a DVD when you first turn your computer on. (Please see the documentation for your computer for information about how to change the BIOS boot order of drives.)
Copies

To install the software, you may make one copy of the ISO file on a disc, USB flash drive, or other media.
After you’ve installed the software and accepted the license terms that accompany the software, those license terms apply to your use of the software. The license terms for Windows 7 permit you to make one copy of the software as a back-up copy for re-installation on the licensed computer. If you do not delete your copy of the ISO file after installing the Windows 7 software, the copy of the ISO file counts as your one back-up copy.

If you need to download the software again, you can go to your Download Purchase History in your Microsoft Store account and access the download there.

Installation

To install the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool:

Click to open the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool (http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe) installation file.
When you are prompted to either save the file to disk or run it, choose Run.
Follow the steps in the setup dialogs. You'll have the option to specify where to install the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.

Note: You need to be an administrator on the computer you are installing the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool on. The tool requires the Microsoft .NET Framework version 2.0 or higher.
System Requirements

Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
50MB of free space on your hard drive
DVD-R drive or 4GB removable USB flash drive

For Windows XP Users
The following applications must be installed prior to installing the tool:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 must be installed. It can be downloaded here. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en)
Microsoft Image Mastering API v2 must be installed. It can be downloaded here. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B5F726F1-4ACE-455D-BAD7-ABC4DD2F147B&displaylang=en)

Using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

Before you run the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, make sure you have already purchased the Windows 7 ISO download from Microsoft Store and have downloaded the Windows 7 ISO file to your hard drive. If you have purchased Windows 7 but have not yet downloaded the ISO file, you can download the file from your Microsoft Store Account (https://store.microsoft.com/account/).
To make a copy of your Windows 7 ISO file:

Click the Windows Start button, and click Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool in the All Programs list to open the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.
In the Source File box, type the name and path of your Windows 7 ISO file, or click Browse and select the file from the Open dialog box. Click Next.
Select USB Device to create a copy on a USB flash drive or select DVD disk to create a copy on a DVD disk.
If you are copying the file to a USB flash drive, select your USB device in the drop-down list and click Begin copying. If you are copying the file up to a DVD, click Begin burning.

When your Windows 7 ISO file is copied onto your chosen media, install Windows 7 by moving to the root folder of your DVD or USB flash drive, and then double-click Setup.exe.

"

IndyGunFreak
12-30-2010, 09:47
I am downloading Ubuntu

But am wondering -

I have the software product key for Windows XP Home Edition that was installed on the PC when it was purchased -

Can I download the software from MS web sight - or somehow get a copy of XP?

Yeah you can do that... (usually)... You just need to find an ISO of your version of XP.... I've done this to repair computers quite a few times.. As long as you're not using any sort of "cracking" tools(ie, activation cheats, etc), it should be legal.

Z71bill
12-30-2010, 10:31
Well gee wiz I am posting on GT from Ubuntu - I may just play with this for a while -

I need to figure out how to get some anti virus protection

IndyGunFreak
12-30-2010, 10:39
Well gee wiz I am posting on GT from Ubuntu - I may just play with this for a while -

I need to figure out how to get some anti virus protection

Don't need it w/ Linux.

Only way you need Antivirus w/ Linux, is if you're downloading things with the intention of moving them to Windows.. You scan it to see if its a threat to Windows... not to Linux.

If you need some options in this scenario(it's very unlikely)... lemme know.

IGF

Pierre!
12-30-2010, 10:44
Good to hear Linux is working for you! At least something is... :cool:

I am wondering - Did you install it? or just running from the 'Live CD' at this time...

I am curious to know if the Linux install completed. Could help you find out what device is giving the problems!

In any event, congrats on getting the system running again!

Happy New Year!

IndyGunFreak
12-30-2010, 10:46

I am wondering - Did you install it? or just running from the 'Live CD' at this time...

I am curious to know if the Linux install completed. Could help you find out what device is giving the problems!

Happy New Year!

I think his CD was fubar to be truthful.

Z71bill
12-30-2010, 11:09

Happy New Year!

I just ran it from the live CD - now I am going back and installing it - :supergrin:

I couldn't figure out how to use my built in wireless connection - so I had to plug it in with a cable - I now see it may require some other software to use my wireless connection.

This Ubuntu is pretty cool -

I bought my wife a new notebook because the old Gateway was so darn slow - the new HP notebook with windows7 and the i5 processor is really fast - faster than my desk top -

Well - as I am zipping around with Ubunto my wife comes up and says - the new PC is running slow - :rofl:

I figure NOW WHAT? After looking at it - the web sight she was trying to use was having a problem -

I think I will play with it for a few days.

IndyGunFreak
12-30-2010, 11:19
I just ran it from the live CD - now I am going back and installing it - :supergrin:

I couldn't figure out how to use my built in wireless connection - so I had to plug it in with a cable - I now see it may require some other software to use my wireless connection.

This Ubuntu is pretty cool -

I bought my wife a new notebook because the old Gateway was so darn slow - the new HP notebook with windows7 and the i5 processor is really fast - faster than my desk top -

Well - as I am zipping around with Ubunto my wife comes up and says - the new PC is running slow - :rofl:

I figure NOW WHAT? After looking at it - the web sight she was trying to use was having a problem -

I think I will play with it for a few days.

Once you get installed, We'll go over the wireless device.. It should be fairly easy to get working. It's an old Gateway, so there's about a 99% chance it's a Broadcom, and it will be pretty simple.

IGF

Z71bill
12-31-2010, 13:43
Figured I would add a conclusion to the thread -

I ask the question - is it worth restoring an old slow PC?

After finding out my back up disks were crap and restoring the notebook back to its original Windows XP status was not going to happen I took the advise of IndyGunFreak and installed Ubuntu.

A few rough spots getting it figured out - I am an old dog and new tricks don't come easy :embarassed:

The verdict?

The old slow lap top is now FASTER than my desk top - I loaded several things side by side - the notebook is faster by a second or two :wow:

If it matters - the

Desk top is a Intel (R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00 GHz with 4 GB of Ram running Vista Home Premium

Notebook is a Intel Pentium4 532 with HT 3.06 GHz 533 FSB with n1.5 GB Ram running Ubuntu :cheerleader:

I timed the notebook before I made any changes - it took about 45 seconds to load the AOL homepage - now it takes less than 2 seconds. :wow:

IT WAS WORTH IT:supergrin:

I would like to again thank IndyGunFreak for all the PM help he gave me -no way I could have done this without his help. :faint:

IndyGunFreak
12-31-2010, 13:55
I would like to again thank IndyGunFreak for all the PM help he gave me -no way I could have done this without his help. :faint:

No problem at all... your troubles were pretty common ones and nothing to out of the ordinary (although the sound issue was a bit perplexing).

I'm sure you can see now, why I would NEVER recommend someone just nuke Windows, and go to Linux, w/o having Windows to fall back on... especially when they're new. While Linux isn't to difficult once you get the hang of it, "getting the hang of it"... when you've been "Window'd" your whole life can be a daunting task.

If you have any other probs, feel free to PM me again.

LinuxKnight
01-01-2011, 23:30
And Linux saves the day again... :)

Nice going IGF, and good luck with it z71bill!

PS- Your desktop, it is running Vista.... that is why it is slow.... ;)
Upgrade that bad boy to Win7, or better yet try Linux on there too. Though you probably will want to get your feet wet with this older laptop first.

Z71bill
01-02-2011, 21:05
And Linux saves the day again... :)

Nice going IGF, and good luck with it z71bill!

PS- Your desktop, it is running Vista.... that is why it is slow.... ;)
Upgrade that bad boy to Win7, or better yet try Linux on there too. Though you probably will want to get your feet wet with this older laptop first.

I have a ~~2002 era desk top that has been in storage for a 3+ years - had some virus hit it - can't recall the name - would cause it to go into a continuous cycle of reboots / restarts - the only way I could stop it was to pull the power cord -

I would clean the hard drive - everything was OK for a few days - then WAM it was back -

This is the PC

http://www.cc-solutions.com/cgi-bin/catalog/sku/~VPR253R.html

VPR Matrix 253R System
Category: Desktop Systems
Packaging: Brown Box
Condition: Refurbished
Warranty: 90 Day
Links: VPR Matrix's Web Site
VPR Matrix's Spec Sheet
Description: Minitower case
Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHz CPU
512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
(1 x 512MB DIMM - upgradable to 1GB)
(2) 80GB 7200 RPM Ultra DMA/100 hard drives
(Configured as a 160MB striped RAID array)
3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive
16x DVD-ROM
2x DVD-RW
(Create your own DVDs at speeds of up to 2x (supports DVD-R and DVD-RW media) and CDs at speeds of up to 8x, reads CDs at 24x and DVDs at 6x)
Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB DDR AGP video card w/TV out
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI sound card
56K V.92 modem
Integrated 10/100 ethernet adapter
Integrated IEEE 1394 firewire controller
Integrated Promise FastTrak100 dual channel Ultra DMA/100 RAID controller
Keyboard
Mouse
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition pre-installed with license

Next week I plan on using Boot & Nuke to wipe the hard drives - then try and restore the HD with the original software AND JUST BECAUSE I CAN - install Ubuntu on it too. :supergrin:

As I was sorting though my old back up disks - I discovered 50+ 3.5 inch "floppy" disks :wow: - this PC has a 3.5" drive:upeyes:.

IndyGunFreak
01-02-2011, 21:16
I have a ~~2002 era desk top that has been in storage for a 3+ years - had some virus hit it - can't recall the name - would cause it to go into a continuous cycle of reboots / restarts - the only way I could stop it was to pull the power cord -

I would clean the hard drive - everything was OK for a few days - then WAM it was back -

This is the PC

http://www.cc-solutions.com/cgi-bin/catalog/sku/~VPR253R.html

VPR Matrix 253R System
Category: Desktop Systems
Packaging: Brown Box
Condition: Refurbished
Warranty: 90 Day
Links: VPR Matrix's Web Site
VPR Matrix's Spec Sheet
Description: Minitower case
Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHz CPU
512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
(1 x 512MB DIMM - upgradable to 1GB)
(2) 80GB 7200 RPM Ultra DMA/100 hard drives
(Configured as a 160MB striped RAID array)
3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive
16x DVD-ROM
2x DVD-RW
(Create your own DVDs at speeds of up to 2x (supports DVD-R and DVD-RW media) and CDs at speeds of up to 8x, reads CDs at 24x and DVDs at 6x)
Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB DDR AGP video card w/TV out
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI sound card
56K V.92 modem
Integrated 10/100 ethernet adapter
Integrated IEEE 1394 firewire controller
Integrated Promise FastTrak100 dual channel Ultra DMA/100 RAID controller
Keyboard
Mouse
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition pre-installed with license

Next week I plan on using Boot & Nuke to wipe the hard drives - then try and restore the HD with the original software AND JUST BECAUSE I CAN - install Ubuntu on it too. :supergrin:

As I was sorting though my old back up disks - I discovered 50+ 3.5 inch "floppy" disks :wow: - this PC has a 3.5" drive:upeyes:.

I don't think there'd be any real reason to use Boot/Nuke on it.. The restore partition should restore the PC to the condition in which you bought it. Do you have CD's to restore it? Or are you planning to use the restore partition or what? 512mb of Ram, is a little on the low side for the Live CD of Ubuntu.. but it will probably work. Really w/ 512mb of Ram, I'd probably try Lubuntu w/ that. You can try Ubuntu first, and see how it performs though.

IGF

Z71bill
01-03-2011, 19:36
I don't think there'd be any real reason to use Boot/Nuke on it.. The restore partition should restore the PC to the condition in which you bought it. Do you have CD's to restore it? Or are you planning to use the restore partition or what? 512mb of Ram, is a little on the low side for the Live CD of Ubuntu.. but it will probably work. Really w/ 512mb of Ram, I'd probably try Lubuntu w/ that. You can try Ubuntu first, and see how it performs though.

IGF

I added max RAM it now has 1GB

I did the resore from the CD once (still have the disks) - but used the function where it creates a back up copy of the original files - the virus survived. I guess it is possible there is something else wrong with it - sitting in the garage for 3 years can't be a good thing.

I could try a destructive restore - :dunno: