Start-up Menu [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Start-up Menu

rfrf
12-28-2010, 19:42
I have a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop that takes a long time to boot up. I run Norton antivirus, disk cleanup and clear cookies weekly. What is absolutely necessary on the msconfig startup menu ? Thanks in advance,
rfrf

Pierre!
12-28-2010, 20:14
*Essential* is in the mind of the Notebook Operator.

There are many devices on a notebook setup to monitor things for you.

If you are not tied to Norton AV, you could try something else to see if it's faster... AntiVirus does make a difference, and if it is a security suite, it can really dog your computer badly.

Have you defragmented the hard drive recently? and How old is the computer?

Also, have you booted to SAFE MODE and scanned your computer for viruses? They seem to sneak past almost every AV application sooner or later. You may be clean, and then again... and it only takes a few minutes typically. If you use Malwarebytes it should go pretty quickly.

Start there, and let's see what you find...

Oh - Make sure you back it up regularly too.

HTH

Sgt. Schultz
12-30-2010, 10:33
As Pierre said, essential is in the mind of the operator ... everyone's startup list is different.

What loads at startup depends on the hardware and software that's installed as well as which features you have enabled on the programs that you run ... each can add an entry in the startup list. You can Google each item, determine what it is and take appropriate action based on what you find.

FWIW ... when I deliver a computer to a client the only thing listed on the msconfig startup tab is the antivirus/firewall software and that's after I have configured it to their specifications.

IndyGunFreak
12-30-2010, 10:36
FWIW ... when I deliver a computer to a client the only thing listed on the msconfig startup tab is the antivirus/firewall software and that's after I have configured it to their specifications.

Totally agree