Fort Lewis? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fort Lewis?

Justman1020
12-28-2010, 19:51
Anyone stationed at fort lewis, or know anything about it? I am going there in March...

KG Dad
12-29-2010, 10:17
Nice post. Good camping, skiing, hiking, fishing in the area. Bring your bike, motorized and pedal-powered. Washington is a shall issue state. Of course, if you live on post, the PM wants to register & secure your firearm. Lewis is now properly Joint Base Lewis McChord or JBLM for short. JBLM is just south of Tacoma, Washington, 45 miles from Seattle, and surrounded by burbs. It's also 15 miles north of the state capital, Olympia.

The Puget Sound area is military friendly, but not a Fort Bragg/Fayetteville type of place. Most people have nothing or little to do with the military, although the military has a lot to do with Puget Sound. There is also a large Navy presence in Everett, Whidbey Island, Bangor, and Bremerton.

On post, your kids attend school through 8th Grade, I believe. Most Soldiers live off post. There is a ton of new housing being built. And the I Corps ships out in a year or so.

That's it off the top of my head. You'll probably love it there. Respond if you have specific questions.

MJH

AZ Husker
12-29-2010, 16:32
Rains A LOT! Six foot tall ant hills. Beautiful country.

ezterra
01-01-2011, 01:29
Been stationed here now for just short of 3 years. I love it here. It does rain a lot, and there are a LOT of cloudy days, but you can't beat the summers here. The area is relatively gun friendly. It's super easy to get a concealed weapons permit. There's also some great gun shops around. Surplus Ammo and Rainier Arms are a couple of my favorites.

If you enjoy the outdoors, you'll like it here. Like mentioned earlier, lots of hiking, backpacking, camping, and of course 4-wheeling.

What's your MOS and what unit you going too?

Darkangel1846
01-16-2011, 12:05
Rains all winter(kinda slow drizzel with lots of sun breaks) Summer is beautiful. Out in the woods with ease,Mountains with ease, out to the ocean with ease. Whale watching twice a year. you can bop over to Canada with ease or even catch a boat to Alaska. Lots of fishing, hunting, camping & rain. Good sea food. Seattle is a fun trip with lots of speciality areas.
Unless you have to have a lot of sun you'll love it. People who have to have a lot of sun shine don't do well and usually leave within a year.
I currently live in Oregon, but would go back to Washington without a problem.