Kimber Custom II Frame Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Custom II Frame Question

rich n
12-28-2010, 20:05
Are Kimber frames cast or hammer forged? I was reading the FAQ thread and bac 1023 states that the frame is cast and the slide is forged. I have also read that the frames are forged. I just ordered my first 1911 from Buds (Kimber Custom II W/ night sites $805). Should be here soon! Very happy to join the 1911 addiction!

craig19
12-28-2010, 20:17
Congrats on the Kimber, that is a nice pick up. I'm not sure about the frame, so I'll let one of the experts answer that.

Rinspeed
12-28-2010, 20:46
I'm quite certain they are forged as they always have been.

Drestin Black
12-28-2010, 21:05
Kimber frames are absolutely forged.

CA_DUDE
12-30-2010, 15:46
I always remember them being forged. I don't know where the notion of them being cast comes from. I know it used to mention it explicitly in promotional material. It hasn't as of the last few years so I don't know if that's where the rumors come from. It would seem to me their operation is set up in that they used forged frames. I don't know why the would switch from forged to cast just on the custom II. It's not like it's a whole lot cheaper than comparable offerings from other manufacturers.

alwaysshootin
12-30-2010, 16:16
Just got a series I back from a gunsmith for some detail work. I was told the same information BAC has written in other posts. The slide is forged, and the frame is cast. No worries though, you will never wear it out, and it won't fail you. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The Kimber line up is the best value on the market!

AZ Husker
12-30-2010, 17:56
Both the slide and frame are forged, except on alloy framed guns. That might be the confusion.

Jason D
12-30-2010, 17:58
They are forged.
My Series 1, and later Series 2 are forged.
One tell tail sign would be the molding seams around the frame.
Most notable would be on the front of the trigger guard.

12-30-2010, 19:29
I think, Kimber, a few Dan Wesson, Springfield, Colt, and S&W all use forged frames and slides on steel guns. I think, most Dan Wesson, Caspian, Para, and Sig1911's are cast.

I certainly could be wrong.

Jason D
12-30-2010, 19:43
I have yet to see a well made casting that could hide all the cast marks.

HAIL CAESAR
12-30-2010, 20:06
I think, Kimber, a few Dan Wesson, Springfield, Colt, and S&W all use forged frames and slides on steel guns. I think, most Dan Wesson, Caspian, Para, and Sig1911's are cast.

I certainly could be wrong.

As I have been told...DW are out of the cast frame business. All are now forged.

But really a good cast frame is fine..most of the debate is on the errornet.
Cast slides are another matter altogether. Bad juju.

CA_DUDE
12-30-2010, 21:19
I don't think there is anything wrong with a quality cast frame either. I've just always been puzzled by the notion that the custom II is. In the beginning it was stated to be forged by Kimber. I've even come across more recent forum posts that state Kimber has been called and confirms they are forged. I've just never heard any definitive proof that they are cast, so I don't know where that comes from. It's not a big enough deal for me to call myself I guess. You would just think it wasn't such a mystery.

Jason D
12-31-2010, 15:51
It might have come from the dink that claimed they were all mim.
The frame, slide, barrel... Pretty much the whole gun.

Most of the Kimber advertisements I have seen said forged.
I do have one 1911 that has a cast lower. With those type of guns it's more important to have the forged slide on them.

12-31-2010, 18:51
Cast is fine if it is a good quality cast. I have several Caspian 1911 builds-- all cast frames with thousands of rounds fired, all holding up as well as any forged frame that I have seen.

But, when I am shopping for a factory gun -- I want it to be forged. They usually cost a little more, but they are easier to sell, and they hold their value better--in my experience.

FYI: Caspian frames are cast by Ruger.

Jack Black
01-05-2011, 16:30
FWIW, my dad just started shooting and he loves my Series I CDP Pro, so I just ordered a Kimber Custom II for him. I noticed in one of the pictures there's a tag that says, "Frames, slides & barrels machined from solid steel...Inferior castings are never used."

http://pics.reedssports.com/gb/320022.JPG

Jason D
01-05-2011, 17:58
Yeah, but who'd going to take Kimber's word for it..

CA_DUDE
01-05-2011, 18:10
FWIW, my dad just started shooting and he loves my Series I CDP Pro, so I just ordered a Kimber Custom II for him. I noticed in one of the pictures there's a tag that says, "Frames, slides & barrels machined from solid steel...Inferior castings are never used."

http://pics.reedssports.com/gb/320022.JPG

Ha, I totally forgot about that till I saw your post. Opened my box and there's the label. So if they really are using cast frames, does that leave them open to a class action lawsuit?