Ar-15 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ar-15

runandgun7
12-28-2010, 21:15
Here's my question! Why did you choose to buy a AR-15? Theres no right or wrong answer.
Thanks

RMTactical
12-28-2010, 21:20
When I got my first, I was looking to get something "different" than what I had in the past. I wasn't super excited about it, but I was happy to do a "project". My brothers and I bought some RRA stripped lowers and built up some carbines. This was during the "ban" years.

After that, I was hooked. I kept shooting them and buying more... and it was all downhill from there...

G27RR
12-28-2010, 21:46
I bought my first two to make sure each of my boys would have one someday. The third one was for me, while the fourth one was to have a precision semiauto in 5.56 (LaRue OBR).

mixflip
12-28-2010, 22:31
I was already familiar with the platform due to my military days so it just made sense to get an AR15 later. Lightweight, 30 round capacity, very accurate inside of 200 yards, ammo is available in all 50 states, super modular, ergo's are top notch, spare parts are readily available...oh yeah and all the tacticool mallninjas on my block told me to get one for the upcoming 2012 apocalypse.

I went with a piston AR15 just because I liked what I saw and to piss off my die hard d.i. buddies.

mobilecommand
12-28-2010, 22:39
This is kinda weird but this is how it ended up for me..

My first Ar i purchased was because i wanted an AR but knew nothing about em really. I had some spare cash and the GF at the time pissed me off so i showed her lol. I got a 16 in carbine with all the bells and whistles.

Once i decided to do the research and figure out what i actually bought i realized i felt cheated by getting a carbine vs a middy and 1x9 twist vs a 1x7.. "after the first round i shot though my rifle i was hooked on AR's and got the bug"

So i purchase my second ar that was a mid length with everything i though i needed or wanted but also added a gisselle trigger.

At this point ammo was getting expensive so i decided to purchase a m&p15-22 moe and get all the fun of an AR at the cost of a 22.

Once i had 2 16 in rifles and the 22 i really though that was redundant and also wanted to do long range. so i filled out my tax stamp to get my carbine cut to a 10.5 in AR and i ended up purchasing another AR "spr" for long range scoped shooting. 18 in fluted tac driving goodness.

SO now i am up to 4 ar's. At this point i have enough parts that i am building my 5th AR and tacticool it out in pink so when i take my dates to the gun range they could use a pretty in pink weapon of mass destruction.

I am sure a ar 10 is not that far out at this point either lol.

Would i do it again sure would lol.

the only thing i would do different would be to go with a 14.5 in barrel instead of the 16 and perm attach a flash hider.

boomhower
12-28-2010, 22:48
In in LE so I bought mine for work.

mjkeat
12-29-2010, 00:03
Prior to 11B I never had any desire to own an AR. After getting out I messed around w/ a 700, AKs and some handguns. Deep down I wanted an AR after shooting M4s in the Army. So I purchased one after a couple years of wanting it. I only own 4 at this moment but keep telling myself, "STOP!" It hasnt worked yet. Next on tap is a 300BLK, hopefully.

Durden
12-29-2010, 01:06
Ergonomics.

That's honestly the main reason for my 'like' of the M4.

To be totally upfront, I really do dig the reliability of the AK, I know it's a subject beaten to death, and I know that many are sick of hearing it, but the AK is more reliable than the AR system, no matter what is written here or anywhere else.

If I could have an AK's reliability crossed with the ergonomics (and iron sites) of an AR (and no, it really doesn't exist; not even with a Krebs), I'd be one happy mofo.

mixflip
12-29-2010, 02:09
If I could have an AK's reliability crossed with the ergonomics (and iron sites) of an AR (and no, it really doesn't exist; not even with a Krebs), I'd be one happy mofo.

Some argue that the SIG556 is very much related to the AK in spirit of design. Its got a rugged AK style bolt and piston system, folding stock, reciprocating right side charging handle, with modern accuracy and way better sights.

mvician
12-29-2010, 09:25
I wanted one. (well actually more than one :rofl:)

TedG
12-29-2010, 09:36
Because, if necessary, I can spell it.

dale mcminnis
12-29-2010, 16:25
I've always been a pistol guy,but I thought I'd get a AR before that rite is infringed upon.Oh yeah,and the upcoming zombie apocolyps:supergrin:.

B.Reid
12-29-2010, 16:54
Bought my first in the early 80's when I was 19 or 20 because they look cool. Have had at least one ever since, I have three now.

FatBoy
12-29-2010, 17:52
I was a "hand gunner" and wanted a long arm for fun at the range/personal defense if need be. First choice was a HK91, but the cost was out of my range since it was well after the import ban. Still kick myself for not getting one in '89 before the ban went into effect, but I was buying handguns at the time. "Settled" on the AR platform after looking at AKs. Now I have a bunch of them(+ a few AKs too). I could afford to buy a 91 if I stop buying ARs.

FB

tomklra14
12-29-2010, 18:02
I bought one the day the assault weapons ban was signed as an act of defiance, did not really know much about them. I was surprised at the accuracy and the amount of fun they were.

KK40384
12-29-2010, 21:13
I wanted one for when the zombies come.

All kidding aside........I got one because every gun enthusiast should have one and because I like them.

Bulletsrrfriend
12-29-2010, 21:28
Because my wife gave birth to my daughter.

lucky-gunner
12-29-2010, 22:00
I got my first AR because I had a M16 in the Marines. I enjoyed shooting it and it was the obvious choice since I was already trained in it. I've stuck with the platform because it's hard to get the same output from any other rifle for the same amount of money.

Now I always have a AR project that I'm putting together.

smokin762
12-29-2010, 22:22
I used to own, SKSís, AK type rifles and a used Mini 14. At that time, that was all that I experience with. Then later a friend let me shoot his AR and I was hooked. I saved up some money and I bought one.

Now, most of my rifles are ARís except for a Marlin model 80 and a Ruger 10/22 but one of my ARís is in .22LR also.

bushjumper
12-30-2010, 00:35
Here's my question! Why did you choose to buy a AR-15? Theres no right or wrong answer.
Thanks

At first I didn't really like them. I had heard from gun store commandos and others that they jammed, had a poor bullet, were made of plastic, etc.

Then, I actually shot one. I think it's probably one of the most fun i've ever shot (and thats in semi auto trim...just imagine full auto).

Now i've owned a total of four...

ezterra
12-30-2010, 00:42
Ok, I'll be the first to admit it. I got my first AR because I thought they were super cool. However, I now that I've been shooting them for a while, I come to find out that I really like them because they are so modular. An AR can be made to whatever the user wants one for. Long range tack driver, check. Varmint killer, check. 3 gun rifle, check. Battle rifle, check. There are now so much accessories out there, it's easy to make a rifle "yours".

I think the famous Full Metal Jacket line is no longer true. "This is my rifle. There are many like it..." Go to the range and rarely will you ever see 2 ARs that are the same.

vafish
12-30-2010, 07:40
Thanks

Well I didn't buy my first one, I traded for it. Why because I wanted one.

Didn't buy the others either, I built them, well I bought the receiver and the parts. Why because I wanted them and it's fun building them.

Most recent one is a custom barreled .25-223 so I can deer hunt with it.

Drew Furst
12-30-2010, 15:00
I bought my first one because I wanted to be competitive in a 3 gun match that a local gun club was running. Saddly, they don't run it anymore. (but I still have the rifle.... and some siblings of his....)

K. Foster
12-30-2010, 16:34
My rifle is not a toy. It is not a monetary investment. It is a tool for the protection of my family. It is used to provide meat for the table, also for competition, recreation and the protection of my country. If necessary, it is the final means of preserving liberty.

BassOverflow
12-30-2010, 16:51
1. Accurate
2. Reliable
3. Modular

karateman
12-30-2010, 20:33
After getting my Saiga in .223 I wanted something else... I figured the one thing common with the AR is anywhere I go, there would be magazines available for it.

Since I live in NJ and am limited to 15rd mags here, if the SHTF really ever did happen, anywhere I go, someone would have magazines for an AR. But I try to get some Surefire 15rds every once in awhile for my saiga, just to have.

nipperwolf
12-30-2010, 20:37
1. Accurate
2. Reliable
3. Modular

:bowdown:

glock22357
12-31-2010, 15:25
For TEOTWAWKI, SHTF, zombies, and to use while I'm training with Delta, SEALs and Rangers.:supergrin:

tel0004
12-31-2010, 15:33
I liked the fact that it was legos for adults. Granted since I went with a Magpul handguards, buttstock, pistol grip and mags, it looks a lot like other AR-15's, but I still got to choose what I wanted, and build it myself.

wct097
12-31-2010, 17:49
I decided to build an AR because I could actually buy it piece by piece. Didn't have a ton of money at the time, and appreciated the ability to mail order everything after I bought a couple stripped lowers. Still haven't built my second, but owning my first is giving me the basis for deciding how to build the second.

jrs93accord
12-31-2010, 18:35
For me, I was first introduced to a M16A1 back in 1978 during boot camp. I have been fascinated with the platform every since. I own 17 of them now, but I have owned more than 20 at one point.

Gunnut 45/454
12-31-2010, 19:17
It was the natural progression! I own just about every type of rifle except a pump action!:whistling:

m2hmghb
12-31-2010, 20:44
Easy to mount a scope on it, accurate, good ergonomics, and the ammo is cheaper then the 30-06 M2 ball I shoot in the M1s.

ratf51
12-31-2010, 21:22
Several reasons:
1. I wanted one.
2. It is an EBR and its appearance should strike fear into the heart of evil doers or at least gun fearing wussies.
3. I wanted one before the chance of them being outlawed or at least neutered rolled around again.
4. It has an evil bayonet mount just in case I need it to respond to one of the frequent drive by bayonettings that happen in my neighborhood.
5. I wanted one.
...and all of these reasons produced a happy consequence: I have a rifle that is a hoot to shoot!

Gunner 45
12-31-2010, 21:43
Was introduced to them in 66 before going to Nam. Liked them ever since. Have had up to five at one time. Now down to three; built the last two my self for the experience. Great for home defense. I also like to mention it to liberal (progressive) aquaintences because it seems to piss them off. Just doin' my part.

doby
01-01-2011, 13:39
I got one because I have always been a survivalist. I'd dumped a match grade M1A in 1975. I first saw the .22 conversion unit in use in an AR in 1978, bought both the next week, wouldn't be without one, ever. It's just too versatile to not have one. Without the .22 unit, it would barely have an edge on the others, due to its fine accuracy, drop in trigger jobs, luminous iron sights, great scope mount, optics, ambi safety, etc.